Sort of OT - motion sickness - KickRunners.com

#1 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 12:28 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 342
Likes Given: 3
I easily get motion sickness as long as I remember. I get sick if I sit in the backseats. I can't read in car/plane or anything moving. I get sick watching IMAX movie. Today first time ever I got sick watching a movie in a regular theater - Avatar (3D made it worse). It is puking, barfing feeling. Now that is pathetic. Something may be wrong with the organ in my ears that handles the balance. I get dizzy spell time to time. Does anybody have similar issues?

The reason this is sort of related to multisports is, as some of you may know, I puke in every single tri race (while running in a short race, or biking in a longer race). I really didn't think this barfing business had anything to do with motion sickness coming out of water just because I could run straight and wasn't disoriented or anything. But puky feeling is always there after an OW race and, combined with the fact I tend to gulp too much air, the whole system gets messed up and I throw up. Of course this puky feeling leads to not feeling like eating/drinking much until my puke is done and I feel better. In some races, a damage is done and consequently I am done.

I am not sure if my theory is right but even putting the barfing during a race aside, I want to sit through a movie w/o getting sick and stepping out. Any input/suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 01:51 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 87
Likes Given: 14
OK... I dunno but... I puke on boats. Big cruise ships are OK but I like diving and dive boats are smaller. Tenders are smaller. I puke on whale watches.

Then I found meclizine (a.k.a Dramamine-II, Bonine, etc.). It doesn't make me sleepy like the old Dramamine did. It's cheap. It just works. I have no side-effects. I take whenever I go diving or do anything involving water.

So... Maybe get some meclizine... Take one before the race... What have you got to lose?

->>> John <<<-
Because too much fun is never enough.
#3 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 02:02 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 45
Likes Given: 20
Haven't tried the "new" Dramamine (okay, didn't even know there was a new Dramamine), but the old stuff sure worked great, other than the drowsiness. If they've resolved that issue, then you're all set.

- Le Bannon

#4 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 02:42 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Ginger is also supposed to be good for motion sickness.

I've never had much luck with Dramamine - it only works because it knocks me out - if I stay awake, I still feel sick.

I've had some success with Sea Bands, that work on acupressure points. http://www.sea-band.com/

Sounds like you're really susceptible to motion sickness, so definitely worth trying a motion sickness remedy for your tris. I once threw up all over my mum's car on the way home from a choppy OW swim.
#5 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
At the IMAX you have to close your eyes at the beginning, anytime the camera makes a sweeping turn, dive or climb. & sit eye-level with the center screen.

In the back seat, crack your window & stick your fingers out it, don't look out the side window. Yell shotgun! I puke!

I don't swim, but running or biking I have to keep eyes on the horizon, can't be looking at the scenery
#6 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 129
Likes Given: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo Sake View Post
I easily get motion sickness as long as I remember. I get sick if I sit in the backseats. I can't read in car/plane or anything moving. I get sick watching IMAX movie. Today first time ever I got sick watching a movie in a regular theater - Avatar (3D made it worse). It is puking, barfing feeling. Now that is pathetic. Something may be wrong with the organ in my ears that handles the balance. I get dizzy spell time to time. Does anybody have similar issues?

The reason this is sort of related to multisports is, as some of you may know, I puke in every single tri race (while running in a short race, or biking in a longer race). I really didn't think this barfing business had anything to do with motion sickness coming out of water just because I could run straight and wasn't disoriented or anything. But puky feeling is always there after an OW race and, combined with the fact I tend to gulp too much air, the whole system gets messed up and I throw up. Of course this puky feeling leads to not feeling like eating/drinking much until my puke is done and I feel better. In some races, a damage is done and consequently I am done.

I am not sure if my theory is right but even putting the barfing during a race aside, I want to sit through a movie w/o getting sick and stepping out. Any input/suggestions?
I had this problem until a savvy eye doctor realized each eye focuses in a different spot (and I have mixed dominance too). He had to look at my eyes while i was focusing rather than have me look into a machine which is something most don’t' do these days! So if you ever see double or things appear to slant or you close one eye to read, I'd have some suspicion. If you haven’t' had your eyes really thoroughly checked I would. I wear a corrective lens in my goggles now too and no more problems unless I need a new rx then looking at the computer screen makes me want to puke!
#7 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmerbee View Post
I had this problem until a savvy eye doctor realized each eye focuses in a different spot (and I have mixed dominance too). He had to look at my eyes while i was focusing rather than have me look into a machine which is something most don’t' do these days! So if you ever see double or things appear to slant or you close one eye to read, I'd have some suspicion. If you haven’t' had your eyes really thoroughly checked I would. I wear a corrective lens in my goggles now too and no more problems unless I need a new rx then looking at the computer screen makes me want to puke!
That is so interesting. I get seasick on a raft in a swimming pool - my family nickname growing up was "the tetrapod" cause I would always throw up anytime my feet left land I had eye surgery when I was younger to correct muscle imbalance, but I bet I still have some issues.

Yo Sake - you are brave, I told the SO that he would have to go see Avatar without me because I am certain that I would not be able to watch without getting sick.

FWIW meclazine makes me drowsy (I'm a lightweight with drinking and meds) but the bands help some.
#8 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 11:27 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 342
Swimmerbee - that is interesting. I don't think I have any issues with my eyes.

I will try anti-motion sickness med next time I go see IMAX movie or OW and see what happens. Thanks, guys.
#9 of 13 Old 02-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

We saw Avatar in regular D not 3D, and I cannot do IMax either. Can't read in anything moving too. I get tummy issues in tri's but I suspect it is more me 'pushing it' as it does not happen in training. Will have to check out the focus thing next time I get my eyes checked. I suspect I may focus weird too.
#10 of 13 Old 02-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 63
Likes Given: 19
I feel your pain! I suffer frm motion-sickness, as well. I have a few thoughts on this one:
1. I used to get really sick to my stomach after long runs. I couldn't understand why I would get sick after but never during. Several years ago, I had Lasik surgery...and have not had the problem since. Turns out I was near-sighted in one eye and far-sighted in the other. Not the best combination, especially when you add running for 20+ miles, etc. I am not suggesting surgery, but there could be something there.

2. On top of all my other jobs, I am also a pole-dance instructor. I started out several years ago just taking classes. I used to get so sick! I started taking non-drowsy Dramamine. I did this for quite some time. However, one day I had forgotten to take my Dramamine...but never got sick. My eyes/senses/whatever had adapted to the movement.

Go non-drowsy Dramamine!
#11 of 13 Old 02-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 101
Likes Given: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Topodope View Post
I am also a pole-dance instructor.
Okay, this may deserve a thread of its own. That's a whole new spin on multi-sport!
#12 of 13 Old 02-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Topodope View Post

2. On top of all my other jobs, I am also a pole-dance instructor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriAndStopMe View Post
Okay, this may deserve a thread of its own. That's a whole new spin on multi-sport!
agreed!! I want to hear about all your other jobs
I'd try it, if the only place that offered it wasn't squarely in the center of where a white girl with a big butt should not go after dark....
#13 of 13 Old 02-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 63
Likes Given: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by melistic View Post
agreed!! I want to hear about all your other jobs
I'd try it, if the only place that offered it wasn't squarely in the center of where a white girl with a big butt should not go after dark....
You should give it a try! If nothing else, it will greatly improve your back, arm and ab strength! And the shoes do wonderful things for your calves

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page