Newbie Swim Questions - KickRunners.com

#1 of 8 Old 01-07-2010, 07:37 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 63
Likes Given: 19
Hi Kicksters!

I am back in the water and loving it! I have been playing around on www.swimplan.com (thank you to whomever recommended the site). I realized that in order to set goals/objectives, I should follow the website's recommendation and do a time trial and stroke count. I went to the pool this morning for a workout and time trial, etc.

The site recommends swimming for "about five minutes" and record my distance, time and fatigue level. So, my question is: is it better to swim as fast and as hard as you can (even if it is only 2-3 minutes) or slow down a bit and complete the entire five minutes and go with that?

Also, my stroke count was 21 (right, left) over 25 meters. But I don't know what to do with this. Is it better to have a high or low stroke count? Should I work on increasing my stroke count or lap times or both?

Sorry for all the questions. I tried to find this info on the swimplan site but couldn't find it.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 45
Likes Given: 20
Slow down and try to get your 5-minute pace. That website will base your future workouts on your pace for various distances, so it's pretty important to feed it accurate information.

Generally you are looking for a lower stroke count and faster speed. In fact, an excellent drill is called "swim golf" in which you add your stroke count to the number of seconds it takes you to cross the pool, then work on reducing that "score" via fewer strokes, faster speed, or both.

edit to clarify a little - Think of your pace for "about 5 minutes" as being roughly the same as your run pace for "about a mile." It wouldn't make sense in that case to sprint for 1/4 mile and then die. Same thing here.

- Le Bannon
#3 of 8 Old 01-07-2010, 10:00 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you, MISTER Bannon!! Very helpful info

#4 of 8 Old 01-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 0
Matt pretty much answered your questions, but I wanted to provide a few links that might help you out. Lots of good stuff on both - articles, demonstrations, drills, etc.

http://www.swimsmooth.com/

http://www.goswim.tv/
#5 of 8 Old 01-08-2010, 02:08 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you! I will check out both sites!
#6 of 8 Old 01-08-2010, 09:05 PM

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Thanks for those links and descriptions guys!

Spiral, spin, ride the whirlwind. Knowing when the drumming stops, There'll be no second dance.
#7 of 8 Old 01-09-2010, 03:15 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 101
Likes Given: 117
When you say your stroke count was 21 (right, left), does that mean you're counting a right arm stroke and a left arm stroke to be "1"? It's normal for each arm stroke to count as 1. If you were counting right/left, odds are excellent you need to work on body position and keeping your legs high in the water. (The sites they listed will have many good tips on this.)
#8 of 8 Old 01-09-2010, 09:05 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

The site said to count right as '1', left as '2' and so on. Every time I raised my arms out of the water I counted it.

I think it was the time trial that I screwed up on. I went as hard as I could and only lasted for 3:30 out of the 5 minutes. As a result, my workouts are now easier than they need to be.

My plan is to re-do the time trial and see what that does to my workouts.

Thank you for the feedback!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page