Am I falling apart? - KickRunners.com

#1 of 17 Old 08-13-2009, 03:17 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 45
Likes Given: 4
Ok, I admidt it may be a bit of the taper crazied, but lately, I am EXHAUSTED, and sore. I have been slacking on my workouts - generally, but still getting in some quality, but shortening runs, skipping swims, etc. I don't feel I have the base I need, but I think it is because I'm tired. However, the falling apart things comes from the fact that I did a 4.8 mikle run last night and my legs were "sad" - had no POP to them. My ribs hurt today - my rt side, and I think I slept funny, so I'm not sure if I should swim tonight. Also, my right Achilles is very tight and a little sore.

I have a busy weekend of getting in my workouts, a Zipline trip and tiling, but nothing "too" crazy and then next week it is "get workouts done and rest."

I'm probably a little "underslept" but usually that doesn't make me sore. So, am I falling apart? Is this crazies? - I know I haven't really run enough - but I know I'll be capable of doing my HIM without too much difficulty although not at my fastest, but if I take a few "extra days off - beyond what I already have, am I hurting myself any more?

Btw, if I don't swim tonight, I will probably do work on the cottage - spackle and easy stuff - which I consider an "off night."

Just looking for some feedback and maybe encouragement.

Collin Cowherd (ESPN): You can not solve stupid.

AdCo is wise. Very wise. - NRG71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 08-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Special Member

Likes Given: 20
If you're tapering, that all sounds pretty normal. My body goes completely haywire when I back off the volume.

If you're NOT tapering, then you're probably just getting old.

- Le Bannon
#3 of 17 Old 08-13-2009, 03:38 PM

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 0
Git yer iron and b12 checked!

Testing!

#4 of 17 Old 08-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
it's pretty nomal to feel some soreness when you back off after an extended period of high volume, I know I do. If you start building the easy weeks into your training every 4th. week or so, the soreness will tend to diminish and it's easier to taper, you just follow your easy week schedule. If you do an easy week that allows you to maintain fitness (i.e. not too easy and maybe not a full week) it's easy to use it as a springboard for harder training.
#5 of 17 Old 08-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Thanks for the reminder, Tithers! I'm also dragging, but I haven't had my vitamins today (with iron).
#6 of 17 Old 08-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Also, Adam, you guys have been training and doing races for a while now - like, since Boston in April, right? On top of that, working on the cottage. You may just need a good old fashioned break from training. Eat healthy, get enough rest. All are important.

But, yes, could just be taper craziness. I felt exhausted the first week of taper before placid and started to feel better the 2nd week.

No matter what - take some time off before you start training for LP - it's a long road and you'll need a break to go into it fresh!
#7 of 17 Old 08-13-2009, 04:06 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Thanks Beth. After this, we have a sprint (it will be hard to do worse than last year for me, and Moco had an asthma attack, so she's out for revenge - but I'm focusing on working on the cottage, then we may do a month of 2 of cross fit - something different - and then NO "real" work on the house when training.

#8 of 17 Old 08-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 172
Likes Given: 48
I don't know if you are falling apart or not, but if you are that wrecked and your side still hurts, don't swim.

Or, perhaps you should CALL OUR COACH.
#9 of 17 Old 08-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 359
Likes Given: 3
No, you are NOT falling apart. I felt pretty much the same way as you were feeling before almost all races of long distance (marathons, HIM's). Your worked hard and long. So don't think you were falling apart and that you would need one more long run or long ride, blah blah. No gain from now to the race day. Relax. Enjoy spackling/working on the cottage. And don't drive your wife nuts.
#10 of 17 Old 08-13-2009, 04:11 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Not likely

Just wait until she starts to pack and worry about the weather - 10 day is closing in

#11 of 17 Old 08-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
Likes Given: 2
You're not falling apart, and let's for a long second forget about the work on the house as an excuse. You've been hitting it very, very, very, very, very hard for a very, very, very long time now. You are not getting sleep -- which by the way is among the most important thing in keeping you healthy, rested, and sane (I can't over-state this enough) -- you've been going hard, and the cumulative effects are finally catching up (you can render most effects minimal by following Jr's advice). And now you've hit taper. So what do you do? If it were me, I'd back off more than normal. The more you fight to keep doing distances on your schedule -- and missing them -- the longer this lasts. You need to get rested. Which doesn't mean doing zippo. But it means finding rest. And you probably need a bit more than normal. Dead legs are just that. Dead. The only way to get them back is rest. The more you rest, the faster you get them back. Find a happy line to get you through your token race and then scale back for a proper rest cycle after big race. You can keep going, and you can keep racing, but it will eventually catch up. As it is now. That's just my guess from knowing what you've been doing, how long you've been racing and training hard, and even looking at the dead legs your lovely wife has. It's not the work on the house. You've simply been hitting it hard for a long time.

Disclaimer: Tone may come out all wrong here, I tried to say a lot of things with short time. Sorry. But message hold.s
#12 of 17 Old 08-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 172
Likes Given: 48
stop looking at my legs, Thor - you're making me all self conscious.
#13 of 17 Old 08-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
Likes Given: 2
I'm a guy... I like sexy legs. And that, my friend, is something I will never apologize for.
#14 of 17 Old 08-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
You're not falling apart. Taper sucks sometimes. I've been on the verge of tears all day - I kept telling myself that I would not get caught up in the mental struggle of tapering and here I am, a big whiny mess.

Get rest, eat well, and know this won't last forever.
#15 of 17 Old 08-13-2009, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 36
Likes Given: 12
You guys do seem to have had a fairly full race schedule as well as working on the house. I marvel at your energy but you can't keep it up indefenitely. Plus all of this stuff weighs on the mind also. After you rock Timberman, give yourself a break and rest up physically and mentally. You're gonna need it for Lake Placid!
#16 of 17 Old 08-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 15
Likes Given: 15
I know I am looking forward to a few days off next week before and after Timberman and I'm only doing the sprint, not the 70.3. I almost wish I didn't have another race, even bigger, in September. A few rest days here and there definitely isn't enough. That said, the schedule says long bike ride so I better drag my ass out there and HTFU as soon as the clock says 5:00pm or else.
#17 of 17 Old 08-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 103
Likes Given: 149
Taper? What's that????

Seriously Adam- I'm feeling your pain. I'm almost there and all I can say is listen to these fine folks, your coach and your body. REST! It's not going to help you on race day.... or so I've been told.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page