It's March - How is your training changing? - KickRunners.com

#1 of 33 Old 03-03-2009, 03:15 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 45
Likes Given: 20
It's March. Suddenly race season doesn't seem so far away. Is your training plan undergoing any changes this month? Mine is:

Swim - After 4 months of relative slacking off with just 2 workouts per week (if that), it's time to get back to 3/week. I did 640 yards last night at "race pace" and have slid from 1:40/100 pace to 1:47/100.

Bike - Time to wean myself off the trainer and get back to bike commuting. The trainer is great for building threshold strength, but it's definitely not the same as riding 3-4 times/week. I will try to keep 1 trainer session per week for as long as possible.

Run - No change. Just continue to slowly build the miles.

- Le Bannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 33 Old 03-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 169
Likes Given: 264
Yes! After months of slacking in the pool, it is time to get back to 2Xweek swim.

Trainer & run will stay the same, just need to re-commit to the pool.
#3 of 33 Old 03-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Good idea here. Yeah switching to my long run workouts here (Have a Hm on April 5, and FM on May 3). And trying to stick with 1 run outside per week. But anyway, my long runs are doing ok, tempo runs were a little behind... maybe the outside will help that.

#4 of 33 Old 03-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 217
Likes Given: 164
Hope to get back in the pool tomorrow for the first time in a few months. Not for race season - just to try and get some morning workouts. I'm feeling blecch lately - need to improve my physical state.

Reg.
#5 of 33 Old 03-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 172
Likes Given: 48
no signs of spring here yet.

march = more running.
#6 of 33 Old 03-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Is it? Shoveling is still my main work out these days...biggrin.gif
#7 of 33 Old 03-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 8
Er....start actually training again. smile.gif My 6 month build to the HIM starts on March 16.

Swim: Move from 1X/week of about 1500 m to 2X of 1500-2000 m/session
Bike: Increase intensity of my weekly trainer session and start to build mileage on my long Sunday rides...also I can no longer slack off and skip said ride due to mildly icky weather
Run: Continue to build up my midweek medium run and start my track sessions. Up the mileage on my LR

hobey
Slacker

#8 of 33 Old 03-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 25
More "optional" sessions this month is my goal. I've never really gotten them in before, but I want to start bike commuting more just so that I get better accustomed to rolling hills. I'll use the mtn bike because it's sturdier and quite frankly, I can get in/out of the pedals more easily than the road bike. Plus, I like the feel of the brakes better for driving in traffic.

But, it's still a bit early for that, as it's colder than I'd like for commuting and still being able to have normal clothes on for the rest of the day.

Ferries are for wimps!!
Let's swim!
Swim Trek '08
#9 of 33 Old 03-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 15
Likes Given: 3
I'm with hobey. If I can get myself to work out consistently 4 times a week, that will be an improvement from the past year. It's a far cry from my 15 hour weeks, let me tell you. It's been a rough year, and to top it off, there is still no sign of spring on the horizon. I still feel like I've got some residual fitness, but it's going to take a while to get back into the swing of things. My goal right now is to do something active every day, even if that just means doing some yoga in the mornings. I am seriously stressed out, and the only thing that helps is exercise. I'll reasess my goals in April.
#10 of 33 Old 03-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
I still have another month before I start returning to bicycling (yay) and swimming (ugh) - interested to see how those work out schedule-wise with A, since I can't bring her along like I can with running.

For now, still run focus so I PR in next month's marathon!
#11 of 33 Old 03-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 6
running - going to get in at least 3 workouts per week now; had been doing only 1-2/wk the last two months. Got a marathon relay late April I really need to gear up for now.

swimming - I had been at 3 swims per week, but with the masters class I've gone down to two swims and 1-2 strength sessions. One of my shoulders has always given me issues and lets me know when I'm overworking the area, so I need to do my due diligence in keeping the strength up.

biking - I wish I could do more here, but I guess I'm just going to have to maintain for now with 2 workouts per week I may just add a commute back and forth to get that back up to 3 but that's not happening soon.

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog
#12 of 33 Old 03-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Special Member

Considering I have neglected the pool TOTALLY for the last month, I am fully committed to 3+ swims a week. In addition to that, I am training for the MS 150 down here, so really, I am cutting running down to 2-3 runs a week.

I have 11 days til my first race!
#13 of 33 Old 03-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 45
Likes Given: 4
March will be a big run month for us as we tune-up for our first marathon.

Collin Cowherd (ESPN): You can not solve stupid.

AdCo is wise. Very wise. - NRG71
#14 of 33 Old 03-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Special Member

No real change. March is the build up for my marathon. Still in the fishbowl 3 days a week. Not much bicycling, but need to start picking that up again. But, for now, running is still priority.
#15 of 33 Old 03-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Special Member

Since my PF and achilles troubles are keeping me from running very much, I've been doing some biking to hopefully keep enough fitness to get me through Boston. I'm not swimming until after Boston because the chlorine always screws up my sinuses for a while. So instead of building my running up, I've been slacking off. It looks like my long run before Boston will be about 12-13 miles unless I start getting some relief.
#16 of 33 Old 03-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 342
Likes Given: 3
Let's see....

Swimming: Continue to swim 3/wk, including some longer stuff, for preparing for 1650 I signed for the State meet (gulp).
Cycling: With expected yacky weather at least another month, I will continue 3/wk trainer sessions. Increase the intensity, but considering to make the 3rd session easier in order to have a better running legs for speed workout(s).
Running: Cut back miles back to 30mpw or less to increase the intensity. May try tempo & track workout in a week and see how it goes. One of B races (10K) coming up early April.

In short, a little more running focus.
#17 of 33 Old 03-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Swimming - it's going alright, can't see any much progress, but it's consistent.
Biking - after getting the trainer for Xmas, I think I'm better prepared on the bike than in any previous spring. Curious about how it will translate on the road, as soon as the 8" of snow melt.
Running - haven't run for 31 days. Tomorrow is the big day at the doctor, anyway I'll be starting from scratch soon.
#18 of 33 Old 03-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Special Member

swim--start focusing on drills and form 2x a week. Maybe start doing laps in a month or so.

run--on week 3 of a really focused 13-week build-up including faster intervals, MPs, and long runs. So far, I've only missed one long run due to a swim seminar. I'm sure I'll get it back in a few.

bike--my residual fitness and endurance from the IM in October is amazingly good. I want to start speed or faster workouts in mid-April for an HIM in early July. So trainer sessions and a few rides for now.
#19 of 33 Old 03-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 153
Likes Given: 260
Let's see...

I actually need to start swimming again. I've only been in the pool once since September. uhoh2.gif

I have had some good trainer and treadmill sessions this winter and will continue with that. I have a 5k in 2 weeks and a HM on April 5th.

My ladies cycling group reconvenes on Friday night to plan our rides for the season. I'm looking forward to getting back out on the road with them.

It is not even close to being spring yet here so I'll be training inside for another month or so. This weekend I will be laying out a more formal HIM training plan and will get started on that.
#20 of 33 Old 03-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Ski: I give up, my meniscus tear is bugging me when I ski, so enough already

Bike: Time for some training races and shorter intervals, plus rides outside in the hills more

Run: I'm hoping to run pain free, I jogged on the treadmill at the Y yesterday and it bugged my knee, so maybe some hiking is a good transition

Swim: Not since cold war
#21 of 33 Old 03-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 7
starting the last build cycle before the taper for the april 4th HIM.
#22 of 33 Old 03-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 169
Likes Given: 264
Don: I am so sorry to hear that, after all the hard work you've done in order to run Boston, that just plain sucks!!! Do you have the option of waiting until next year if you wanted to?
#23 of 33 Old 03-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Longer sessions, and sets with greater intensity thrown in. Seems I'm on a steady time/distance build until about June.
#24 of 33 Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 104
Likes Given: 40
Everything will get easier for a few weeks, and then start ramping up. My official training for IM starts the 3rd week of March. My swims have been exactly like the plan I'm going to be doing. My bike rides have been similar, but not exactly like the plan. My short rides have been slightly longer than the plan calls for and my long rides have been a little shorter. My runs have been quite a bit tougher than my official training plan and it shows. I'm already putting up similar times as mid-season last year...at a significantly lower HR than last year.
#25 of 33 Old 03-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Special Member

I think swim and run will remain the same, bike will start ramping up. Don't know, my coach sets my schedule. I'm a little nervous for this weekend, I have a triple brick (3x (45 min ride/20 min run))on Saturday followed by a 3 hour ride Sunday. Should be my hardest weekend yet. I guess it's a sign of things to come, now that the HM is done.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page