OT - What do you think deserves reporting on? *Plea for help! - KickRunners.com

#1 of 25 Old 01-20-2009, 01:48 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Hey LIT-ers! I know its been a while since I've posted, school's been insane but I come in and lurk whenever I have a minute smile.gif

On the topic of school, I'm having a little master's project crisis and I probably have to change my topic - which while I still have plenty of time to start a new topic, just seems so overwhelming I'm having trouble coming up with new ideas. SO, I thought I solicit you guys and see if your suggestions could help get my brain thinking outside the box.

I'm a journalism master's student so our major project can be about anything under the sun as long as its worth reporting on.

SO, the question:

>> What do you think deserves reporting on? What would you like to see as a multimedia feature on your favourite news website?

All ideas or links to articles or random suggestions welcome, I'm trying desperately just to get my brain going. Even if you don't have any idea, thanks so much for reading this!! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 01-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 45
Likes Given: 4
I think it would be very interesting to report on the use of forums on training, performance, and race anxiety. I.e. what do kick and other sites really bring to the table, and aside of entertainment, does it actually help new and long term athletes. I know many of us get lots of good, bad, usefully and useless info, and what is the true impact of a site, vs the perceived impact, vs paying a coach, etc.

Just a thought, I figured you may want an excuse to be on Kick and other sites more often.

Collin Cowherd (ESPN): You can not solve stupid.

AdCo is wise. Very wise. - NRG71
#3 of 25 Old 01-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
Likes Given: 2
I'm sure it's been done somewhere, but I'd love to see a detailed article explaining all the forces -- including those of economy, market, and even political -- behind the recent ramp up and ramp back down of oil prices. Would love to see how demand, Opec, world trade, etc leads to what we have seen. I've read up on it some, so I do have an idea, but it would be nice to see it pulled together in a concise multimedia show on my favorite news website.

#4 of 25 Old 01-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Special Member

If you are looking for Training/Triathlon related information, I'll give another answer...
#5 of 25 Old 01-20-2009, 02:24 PM - Thead Starter

Thanks, AdCo and Thor!

And while I am not looking for triathlon/training specific topics, ideas of that genre are welcome too!
#6 of 25 Old 01-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Af - a cool idea would be a "what happens now?" segment. It could be relevent to anything in the news. Some examples - IL Gov. Blago impeached - so "what happens now?" Cal. wild fires ravage Santa Monica- so "what happens now?" etc. Kind of a 'how its made' for the way things work in the world. Would be very informative & interesting.
#7 of 25 Old 01-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 153
Likes Given: 260
to piggyback on what luv2tri wrote about "so what happens now?" I am always interested in so what happens to the average person short and long term in the event of a wild fire or hurricane or whatever. So someone loses their home in a wildfire, how does this impact a family other than seeing them standing around the burnt rubble. Where do they go? what do they do? How does a major event change their lives?
I think it is easy to look at big national/international events but we don't often think how these events impact the average person on a daily basis.
#8 of 25 Old 01-20-2009, 04:18 PM - Thead Starter

Thanks, luv2tri! That would be an interesting way to set up thoughtful analysis after breaking news events.

One idea I've been toying with for the past few hours is the effect of this recession on new university graduates. I've found a few articles on the subject, and some actual research studies on how graduating in a recession can affect job prospects, career paths and earning potential for up to 10 years. I think getting faces and voices of current grads or students about to graduate talking about their situation/fears as well as experts to give context might be interesting. What do you guys think? Would you be interested in exploring a multimedia presentation of this angle on the recession?
#9 of 25 Old 01-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
I was just going to say that. I listened to a 60 minutes podcast today (i'm behind...) on that topic. I knew supply and demand could not have caused that and I'd like to see those talking heads that said as much held accountable.

Perhaps with the evaporation of so much global capital, this sort of monkey business will subside. Remember the Hunt brothers?
#10 of 25 Old 01-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Special Member

Or how about a frank discussion of the growing national dept and what it means to the every day person.
#11 of 25 Old 01-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Special Member

You'd enjoy reading Alan Greenspan's book, I found it very good. I did not realize we were heading into a projected surplus not too long ago. Guess we took care of that.
#12 of 25 Old 01-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Given: 1
What are your hobbies/interests outside of tri?
#13 of 25 Old 01-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Special Member

Watch I.O.U.S.A. Very interesting documentary.
#14 of 25 Old 01-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 15
Likes Given: 15
Research why my kids fight everytime my wife gets on the telephone smile.gif.
#15 of 25 Old 01-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Special Member

The politics of green
Why languages are political
Can modern man wipe out tribalism
Pitfalls of ancestry
Why the U.N. is doomed to fail
Lost opportunities in the land of plenty
Poverty in the U.S.A.--a powder keg
Securitization of subprime and how little towns in Europe lost everything
Rich enough--how much money has been lost by the world's richest in the U.S. market

#16 of 25 Old 01-20-2009, 10:56 PM

Why are you doing a master's in journalism? Was that your undergrad degree major also? Just curious.

I've been contacted by journalism master's students who are doing projects/stories on cochlear implants and the pros and cons of cochlear implantation. The media really likes to feed off the controversy surrounding the issue. Of course, from my perspective, I think the controversy has died down.
#17 of 25 Old 01-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 11
I would like to see something on poverty in developing nations and how developed nations should help. 1. where are developing nations on a scale of poverty 2. what are the real issues keeping these nations in abject poverty 3. what are the specific polices, technologies, aid, infrastructure, checks and balances etc. that developed nations could help foster to bring people out of poverty.
#18 of 25 Old 01-20-2009, 11:36 PM

Likes Earned: 10
How will the intangible idea of hope, change, promise and vision convert itself into real, hands-on communal revival in the form of economic reform, rebuilding projects, community involvement etc. See if you can integrate this with the "Joshua Generation" spoken of in his Selma speech and an article in the New Yorker magazine. Try to pull together the disparate themes of faith and action. Good luck.

This is critical because this will be happening and someone needs to write about it. let it be you!

Alex
#19 of 25 Old 01-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Special Member

Some children are born with both male and female sexular characteristics. It would be interesting to write about how decisions are made regarding surgery, gender choice and how it impacts later life

Another interesting issue is the use of human growth hormone on children who are "too short" Parents spend huge $ to pick up a couple inches.
#20 of 25 Old 01-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Special Member

human lifestyles and historical perspective.

I find it amazing that we live such "unnatural" lives (given our genetic development) yet consider our lifestyles as the natural order of things.

We're a 135,000 year old species. Equates to probably 6,500 generations at 21 years average generation. Our modern (industrial) way of life is maximum 250 years old or 11 generations. so which is natural?

11 generations of industrial lifestyles
or 6489 generations of preindustrial human life

kind of makes the future (after the current economic malaise brings the world to its knees, and us back to the trees) less scary. It's what we're made for. I for one am looking forward to hunter-gathering. smile.gif
#21 of 25 Old 01-21-2009, 02:38 PM

I am really not as cynical as this sounds . . .

Coming energy wars. Economic downturns commonly bring political unrest and the current economy appears headed that way. We are already seeing signs of Russia flexing its muscles in the energy sector. Dubai is struggling to hold onto its economy. China and India do not seem inclined to slow their energy consumption growth. A few questions to ask:

What happens to countries in the Middle East whose main export/industry relates to oil production if the world stops using oil? (Think about Pres. Obama's pledge to eliminate dependence on oil in 10 years)

Trace how countries and regions reacted to economic downturns in the past (America generally turns isolationist, other countries aggressive toward neighbors, etc.).

Droughts, famines, and economic troubles often initiate mass migrations that, in turn, bring social distress, discrimination, and xenophobia to gaining nations.

All these variables can lead to wars, small or large. I have a theory that goes something like this: "Prosperity brings peace, want brings war." Just thoughts.
#22 of 25 Old 01-21-2009, 03:33 PM - Thead Starter

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you everyone for all your suggestions!

It is very interesting to read what people would like to see more of in the news and I really appreciate you guys taking the time to tell me your view.

I have to be able to adapt whatever idea I run with to multimedia reporting based pretty much in Toronto as I don't have the luxury of flying all over the world (although that would be awesome!).

Callalily: My undergrad is actually in Atmospheric Science, I went into Journalism because I thought the gap between scientists and the general public was a big one that could use people like me. I'm a huge weather geek and would love to end up reporting on climate change and environmental issues.
#23 of 25 Old 01-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Special Member

I found the story reported in the Toronto paper last year interesting about the man who had been stealing bikes for years and selling them from his bike store, he was just roaming around with bolt cutters and they found him with piles of bikes. Bike-car accidents in Toronto and Montreal would be interesting to look at, Montreal seems more bike friendly but also seems to have a high fatility rate, it would be interesting to report on.

The "dognut ride" in toronto would be interesting to write about.
#24 of 25 Old 01-21-2009, 04:30 PM

Oh, I have all kinds of ideas about weather/climate change. I am a weather geek too, have been since elementary school.

All the topics I mentioned earlier have climate components too. Of course, the climate is ALWAYS changing. Weather patterns in the 1930s aggravated the Depression. Famines and droughts (weather conditions) can drive those migrations. I believe that there will always be winners and losers when the climate changes. There is no optimal climate pattern for everyone. You might want to explore the weather/climate/politics link coupled with energy issues.

Where does the energy originate?
What are the political leanings (passive/aggressive) of "energy states?"
Who are the "energy consumers" and how do they cope with "energy issues?"
How does weather/climate affect energy usage (warmer=more cooling energy; usually electricity, cooling=more warming energy; usually gas or oil)?

Enough. I will stay out of your way now.
#25 of 25 Old 01-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 15
Likes Given: 15
Something I was wondering about this morning. As the population grows, especially in industrialized nations, how will the economy be able to keep up with the number of jobs needed to employ all these people? When do we get to the point where job growth can't keep up with population growth. What conditions will this lead to? Is this already happening? Does population growth = more consumers = more products needed = more jobs? How does productivity and technology factor into this?

I just had this vision of the future where there are WAY more people than jobs and wondered if this vision if founded in anything real or imagined.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page