RR Ironman Germany 2008 - Page 2 - KickRunners.com

#26 of 35 Old 07-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 6
Great RR - loved the videos, pics, and your documentation of the goings-on. You also seemed to manage your race well, taking into consideration your training beforehand and dealing with the issues that hit you along the way. Well done, Ironman!

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#27 of 35 Old 07-08-2008, 11:09 PM

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
I've been sitting here for the past few days thinking to myself that taking video during an IM is a whole new level for me. IM is one thing. Being relaxed enough and composed enough to complete it in that kind of style...I'm in awe! Congrats.
#28 of 35 Old 07-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 156
Likes Given: 3
that's freakin awesome you brought a camera. How cool.

Sorry about the tummy and muscle issues. FWIW I was thinking overhydrated too and your electro's were wacked. Peeing every 20? that's not normal. I think your kidneys were in overdrive to purge the excess fluids. But hey, something to figure out between now and then

I think it's beyond cool having the family involved like that, fun !!!

I hope to see you at IMOO! Trying to figure out how to pull off getting up there this year to cheer on Team LIT!

- If you think you can't, you're right.
- Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
- REJOICE and Whine not! For today you are doing that which most only dream.

www.fatman2ironman.com

#29 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Special Member

Congratulations - incredible job of not only completing an ironman but photo documenting it as well! When I run, it's all I can do to tear open a gel pack. It honestly looks like you're having FUN...isn't it supposed to HURT a little? LOL!
#30 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 02:29 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 50
Likes Given: 2
I am still not sure. Wouldn't I have had at some point a little bloated feeling? Or something at least a little strange?

Sometimes I get the feeling that my body was just ticked off at being told to keep going and threw up a mental block. Sometimes I am a mental weanie.
#31 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 03:35 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 101
Likes Given: 117
Okay, we're not buying that for a second. Great job notching another IM. All the pix and video really take it to another level. My favorite video clip was of the guy who didn't move over to the side near the end. I love the Team LIT Kaiser shirts.

Terrific job pushing through the issues on the course!
#32 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 05:24 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 2
Trust me guys this last statement is complete BS - there is no way that Jim is a Mental Weanie - He was completely focused and strong despite the Knee and Stomach problems and not only did he get himself through the race he helped me get through it as well

Neil
#33 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 156
Likes Given: 3
I'd not be so sure. Then again, i've never done full IM, but I have had some races where I over-hydrated and I've not been bloated - but I became the stay puff man OR in another case no staypuff but I gained 10lbs after a 1/2 Mary (so "only" 3 hours) . That day I was seriously wacked. I started peeing about an hour or two later and I swear I was peeing for 2 days constantly. I lost all the weight within 2-3 days. Not saying this was you, just saying that I wasn't bloated in those cases, but I was overhydrated and since my electros were wacked, my body could not PROPERLY process the fluids. So the net result is that I had too much UNPROCESSED fluids in my system - effectively "too much hydration".

so it doesn't mean you drank too much, per se, but that your body was not using it. Maybe you came in over-hydrated? Maybe you drank too much water on the swim? Who knows, I really cannot figure that out. But if I had to guess, I'd suggest maybe considering the electrolytes - days before and day of - see if anything was amiss. Also how did the hydration plan go early on? Pre race? All stuff to ponder.

Just my 2cents, I really feel only partially able to talk here seeing that my longest event was 7.5hrs - but I think the principals still fit. And hopefully some of my guessing maybe will help provide the breadcrumbs to an answer so you can rock IMOO!

- If you think you can't, you're right.
- Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
- REJOICE and Whine not! For today you are doing that which most only dream.

www.fatman2ironman.com

#34 of 35 Old 07-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Way to go Ironman Jim! Whoo Hoo!
#35 of 35 Old 07-10-2008, 12:53 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Congratulatzionnen, Der Kaiser!
Carrying two cameras in the race? Nuts!