Detroit area folks. I'm heading that way. - KickRunners.com

#1 of 12 Old 05-08-2008, 06:21 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 50
Likes Given: 2
I mean forever. We are wrapping up our European Tour in a few months and will be relocating to the northern Detroit area. Office will be in Troy. So part of my two week business trip was used to do some house hunting. Probably going back for some more in a few weeks.

I know there are a few of you in Michigan, but anyone in this area?

We will still be with our german company, so we won't totally be leaving the spirit of the fatherland in our past. Wir planen immer noch, unser Deutsch zu verbessern.

My big concern right now is figuring exactly how to get my bike over there in time for IM Wisconsin. We will have quite a large load on the flight over, since we will have our dog and cat. Plus everything we need to at least survive a few days. Will have to figure that one out.

So my summer schedule is:

July 6 IM Germany

July 2? International relocation

Aug. 31 Wedding (mine!)

Sep. 7 IM Wisconsin

Oct ? Detroit Marathon

Then time for some rest.

-Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 05-08-2008, 07:02 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Wow Jim

Very busy summer schedule

So if IM Germany is last race on German soil you better make it a good one

N
#3 of 12 Old 05-08-2008, 07:31 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 156
Likes Given: 3
ummm... honeymooning at IMOO?

- If you think you can't, you're right.
- Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
- REJOICE and Whine not! For today you are doing that which most only dream.

www.fatman2ironman.com

#4 of 12 Old 05-08-2008, 07:43 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Yeah, that was vetoed. So it is Jamaica, but not until December.
#5 of 12 Old 05-08-2008, 08:35 AM

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Jim,
Welcome to Michigan! It sounds like you have an exciting July, August and September! I live in White Lake a north west suburb of Detroit. With your office in Troy you have a nice choice of where to live. Troy is more on the north side. If you like the city life then look at Royal Oak or Birmingham. If you want a more rural area them look to the north at Rochester or Lake Orion. If you are buying a house there are some good deals! Maybe you should rent for a while untill you get to know the area. It is a big diverse area! Take your time and get what you want!
Jane
#6 of 12 Old 05-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 311
Likes Given: 315
Welcome to Michigan Jim! I'm much farther west by the capitol, too far for a commute that you would want to deal with. Lots to choose from.
#7 of 12 Old 05-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
I see there's just enough time to squeeze in Steelhead on August 2nd
#8 of 12 Old 05-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 358
Welcome to Michigan! I am in Novi, NW suburb of Detroit. You have lots of choose from. If you want a bike route out of your house, then you may want to look north of Troy, as Jane said. You may want to obtain State park, metro park maps to see where a good open water swim, safe bike route are . Also, if you are interested in joining a gym, a good one is Lifetimefitness and a proxmity to one of their facilities may be important to you. N of Troy, like Rocheter, Wasthington, etc. the houses are newer and you can get a good deal right now. I agree with her about renting, just because the traffic around Troy could be pretty bad and you never know until you actually live there/commute. BTW which German company are you with? I assume an automotive supplier?
#9 of 12 Old 05-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 168
der Kaiser... you know, you and I are on very similar tracks. You have a lot going on in the coming weeks, and you of all people will be present and in the moment to enjoy it all.

Very happy for you, man. I really am.

Two Ironman events.
A wedding.
A relocation move.

Glad it all panned out!

Couldn't have happened to a better, harder working person. I know this will be many happy more years for you and Michele.

Curious: What will Michele do in Detroit? Are you both in the same office that she too will be transfered? Or is it not such a win-win as that?

Either way, awesome for you and her.
#10 of 12 Old 05-08-2008, 10:27 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

To much junk to even consider moving twice.

We spent a week there and was suprised at how the traffic situation was. Morning, afternoon, evening. Very tolerable. Of course, I am comparing it to Stuttgart area traffic. I used to live in southern Indiana, and compared to there Troy is rough, but compared to here, no problem.

I work for Behr. Not the paint company you Home Depot shoppers! We make automotive components.

http://www.behr.de/internet/behrcms_eng.nsf
#11 of 12 Old 05-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 26
Schade, dass ihr Deutschland verlassen musst! Ab Sommersende, sind wir beide wieder zur Hause - es besteht kein Deutschland-Zweige der LIT!

No, seriously, that's great news that you'll be getting home. I find life that much easier in North America, where I know how most things work - that despite having lived in Germany for several years (spread out, not all at once). Could you ship your bike back to the States with a courier company? It might be expensive, but it probably wouldn't take forever either. I'll be flying with my bike in less than two weeks!
#12 of 12 Old 05-09-2008, 10:25 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

We are very fortunate. We now work in the same office, and are both transferring to the same office. So big win-win.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page