OT power tools, what's in a name? - KickRunners.com

#1 of 11 Old 03-18-2008, 12:16 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 129
Likes Given: 1
I've noticed a number of power tool users here and so I thought I'd ask.
My SO is annoyed at me becuase I won't use my christmas present. Its a reciprocating saw from harbor frieght, I have asked for several years for a milwuakee supersawzal. He feels I'm prejudicial against this saw and that the brand doesn't matter, his friends use generics from harbor frieght. There is a huge price difference. What do the tool users think here? Should I giver up my bias and use it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 03-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/saws/saw...s/0819-21.html

As a plumbing contractor, I use this saw everyday for work. We used to use Dewalt, but Milwaukee is so much better.

Just keep it away from your toes.biggrin.gif
#3 of 11 Old 03-18-2008, 12:26 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 129
Ooh cordless that would be even better than the one I asked for before. I wear heavy work boots when I use power equipment (and protective gear) because I don't use it every day. I'm afraid the generic will bind and break something and get me somehow.

#4 of 11 Old 03-18-2008, 12:31 AM
Special Member

We used a corded Sawzall for years and years. Once you go cordless, you'll never go back. We keep 2 saws on the jobsite, one with a wood cutting blade, one with a hacksaw type blade. We also keep a 3rd battery in the charger going all the time. No more downtime fumbling with the cord, swapping blades or dead batteries.
#5 of 11 Old 03-18-2008, 12:33 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 25

Kyle....note the use of heavy boots.

Hmmmm.....I imagine they would have deflected that blade from your toe!!
:bonkonhead:

Ferries are for wimps!!
Let's swim!
Swim Trek '08
#6 of 11 Old 03-18-2008, 12:36 AM

In my opinion, Harbor Freight tools are fine for a one time job. If it's a tool that you plan to use for years to come, buy something quality.

In my case, I needed an angle grinder a couple of years ago to convert some old kegs into brewing kettles. I could foresee no time when I would ever need one again, so I opted for the $18 HF grinder over the $75 DeWalt. When we remodeled our entire kitchen down to the studs, I opted for the Milwaukee Sawzall because I knew I needed a tool that could handle the job and wouldn't break in my hands. I figured any trip to the ER I could potentially avoid was worth the extra money.

If you plan to use it for more than one minor job, go with the quality tool.

My $0.02
#7 of 11 Old 03-18-2008, 12:57 AM
Special Member

I completely agree with you. I've worn steel toe boots in the past. Then I used to wear cheap Walmart lace up leather boots all the time. Even that would have kept the blade out of my toe.

I started wearing shoes at work a couple years ago. When a pair of running shoes wears out, well they sure do make a comfortable pair of work shoes. But yea, they don't do squat against sawblades.
#8 of 11 Old 03-18-2008, 02:33 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
DH has always said Harbor Freight just sells crap. Every time he has gotten something from them, it doesn't last or has some issue. He won't order from them anymore unless it is something pretty much disposable (but he doesn't like disposable stuff either). I don't know what brand his reciprocating saw is.

I think having quality power tools is a must if you plan to use them a lot. DH is so glad he didn't skimp on his miter saw now that we are laying hardwood floors!
#9 of 11 Old 03-18-2008, 03:00 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 45
Likes Given: 20
Since you already have the cheap one, I say use it (NOT gently) until it starts to make funny noises, then go buy yourself a *real* saw. A month or so ought to do it. Milwaukee Super Sawzall is a great tool. You'll have it forever.

Surely your SO is into some sort of machine, tool, or gear? Ask him how he'd feel riding a Schwinn or driving a 91 Subaru GL wagon. Or wearing shoes from Target. Whatever.

- Le Bannon
#10 of 11 Old 03-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
I like how good tools feel in my hands, they bring me pleasure in owning them. I agree that the Milwaukee is a wonderful tool. I have a Makita that I found while out bike riding, it was just sleeping in the ditch in a nice blue case with a bunch of blades, so I set it aside and went back to get it later, has been a great friend ever since. I see how you could injure yourself with one of these.
#11 of 11 Old 03-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 2
We dont have the Milwaukee brand over here but nearly all of my tools are Makita and are cordless that I wouldnt be without them

Drills Circular Saws Jigsaws and Rediprocating saws

As well as Makita Garden Tools

I may as well be sponsored by them smile.gif

N

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page