Tire changing frustration - KickRunners.com

#1 of 5 Old 01-10-2008, 03:37 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 0
So, I have recently acquired a sweet new cervelo P2C. Being as
it is the dead of winter, I have thus far only had her on the trainer. i decided to spare the lovely tires she came with and put a cheaper tire on her for the duration of the winter. So, I get it all changed out, put it back on the bike, only to find that the tire now binds so badly in the seattube cutout that the tire doesn't move. I pretty much know diddly about my bike, so I assume it is the tire not meant to go on this particular bike. Off it comes, put back the original tire. Same deal. Can't move it. Assumed this time I did something wrong. Took the whole thing off, put it back on. Still binding. One more try, same result. What the heck? Now I am nearly in tears of frustration. Help! Why is this happening? Am I doing something wrong here....well, obviously. But what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
I have the same bike, but in aluminium, so I suspect they have similar dropouts--here's the deal--the dropout (slot where your axle goes) is horizontal on that bike and allows the wheel to be slid foreward--the reason is the bike is slightly faster when the tire is nearly touching the seat tube because of the airflow. BUT, if you run it too close, as soon as the tires pick up stones in the rain, they will get stuck in the cutout, or as you noted when you change to a fatter tire it rubs.

Sooooo--remove the rear wheel and set the bike in front of you and look at the frontmost part of the dropouts. You will see a small setscrew in each. Back them off an equal number of turns until the whell is both straight in the frame and has enoguh of a gap between the seat tube and the tire. Make sure the axle is actually sitting up againt the set screws, though or your wheel will slip sideways when you climb hills hard.
#3 of 5 Old 01-10-2008, 03:48 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Thank you...I will definitely try that. Why though would it be rubbing when I put the original tire back on?

#4 of 5 Old 01-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
i suspect the wheel was originally not pushed all the way into the dropout against the set screws

Isn't it fun putting the rear wheel into thiis frame? I always get grease on my hand.
#5 of 5 Old 01-10-2008, 05:21 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate the help.

As for the grease....well, the good thing is everything is still nice and clean because she's only been ridden indoors.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page