Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 9
Taken from WebMD--interesting:

http://women.webmd.com/features/six-...ry-woman-needs

The Six Super Foods Every Woman Needs

Super Food # 1: Low fat yogurt
Super Food # 2: Fatty fish ― like salmon, sardines, and mackerel
Super Food # 3 Beans
Super Food # 4 – Tomatoes (or watermelon, red grapefruit, red navel oranges)
Super Food # 5 – Vitamin D fortified low fat milk or orange juice
Super Food # 6: Berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, cranberries)
#3 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Boiled peanuts are richer in antioxidants than raw or roasted peanuts. (from http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/ne...-other-peanuts)

This is good news for those of us in the "South" who love our boiled peanuts.

#4 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
Because really, who doesn't want flatter abs?

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercis...-tips-flat-abs

1. Improve your posture
2. Think whole-body exercise
3. Examine your diet and digestion
4. Props are optional
5. Take things slow
6. Set realistic goals
#5 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 2
I researched something for my DH. His knee problems are getting worse so I looked up glucosamine & chondroitin supplements. About 2-3 years ago he has surgery to repair a meniscus tear and that helped a lot, but both knees are still bothering him.

Susan

Running in memory of my Dad.
#6 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 27
22 ways to tackle life's biggest energy zappers (http://www.webmd.com/balance/feature...ng-tired-again):

Energize your diet (have breakfast, eat every 3 to 4 hours, fill up on fiber, fuel your brain with omega-3s, stay hydrated, watch caffiene after noon)

Energize your spirit (splash some water on your face or take a shower when you feel burned-out - water therapy, wear a "power" outfit to beat the blahs, vent, turn on some tunes, let go of grudges, take belly breaths, de-clutter, do some good_

Get a restorative rest (cut back on tv and computer time, hide your alarm clock, give your pet their own bedroom, lower the thermostat, skip the nightcap, get your exercise, follow the 15-min rule for falling asleep, journal worries)
#7 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 02:46 PM

I researched Colon Cancer and Colonoscopies:
http://www.webmd.com/colorectal-canc...overview-facts

Being 52 and just coming from the Drs appt I scheduled for the Maintain Campain, a Colonoscopy is in my near future. The Dr put in the paperwork and I should have one scheduled before Christmas (oh joy). I understand that the prep work is more uncomfotable than the actual test. It is important for anyone over the age of 50 to get this test done. Colon cancer has no symptoms in the early stages, and early detection is vital to treating it. The Colonoscopy is the best way for that early detection.
#8 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 2
http://sparkpeople.com/resource/moti...cles.asp?id=85

Everyone runs into a wall at some point. You’re not alone if you feel discouraged. To keep it from happening, or to deal with it if it does, try these ideas:
  • Use positive images. Find a visual that shows why you want to get healthy in the first place, or what you’ll be doing after you reach your goal. A picture of your family, the new dress you want to wear, or a basketball.
  • Use positive words. Keep notes of encouragement with you or choose a few favorite inspirational words. You can get plenty of these words on the Message Boards.
  • Use positive books and movies. Watch and read positive things that show you what’s possible. Trade your favorites with friends. Find a hero and try to adapt their qualities to your journey.
  • Use positive quotes. Check out our quote library, or keep some inspirational quote books handy. They could give you that lift right when you need it most. Choose one as your personal motto and plaster it everywhere.
  • Use positive music. Let music that makes you feel good become the background theme of your life.
#9 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Special Member

Something my Dr. told me to help with my allergies....replace my pillow every few months! It does seem to help.
#10 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Special Member

Here's one appropriate for the holidays, and the MC:

How to Boost Your Willpower

"...self-control is a limited resource that may be strengthened by the foods we eat; ...glucose fuels many brain functions. Having a bite to eat appears to help boost a person’s willpower."

"...self-control is boosted when people conjure up powerful memories of the things they value in life; self-control problems occur because people are caught up “in the moment’’ and are distracted from their long-term goals.

"...people struggling with self-control should start small."
#11 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Addicted Member

I was going to share this with my teammates anyway since we are all trying to lose weight in a healthy way, but I had forgotten about this activity so here you go....I found this very interesting and now it explains why we gain weight after or during marathon training:

(exerpted from The Best Life Diet by Bob Greene)

A primary source of your muscles' fuels is carbohydrates (which all of us know already as runners) but in order to store carbohydrate in your muscles the body must convert it to a substance known as glycogen. And in order to convert carbohydrate to glycogen, it must be paired with water, approx. 2.5-3 grams of water per gram of carbohydrate. When you radically reduce the # of calories you take in, and the # of carbs you eat, your body reaches for the carbs stored as glycogen in your muscles (we also already knew this). BUT...when the glycogen is released, so is that water, and the numbers on the scale go down-temporarily. Water also keeps your metabolism functioning properly and aids in the fat burning process.

Whenever you increase your activity, your muscles then store more glycogen, and in the process, start storing more water with it. , to help keep up with the demands you are placing on them. You will also add water to your bloodstream, increasing your blood volume and your ability to deliver more oxygen, which in turn increases your capacity to burn more calories.

(Here is the key part) These changes will causwe you to gain, not lose, water weight in the beginning stages of a lot of weight loss programs that mandate increasing exercise. And this can be disconcerting to many people. When you have sufficiently increased your activity, are eating more regular meals and adhering to an eating cutoff daily (he suggests 7:30 to allow your body to properly digest your last meal or snack before it begins the normal shutdown that occurs when you sleep), the numbers on the scale will drop, but expect fluctuations in the beginning as your body adjusts its water levels to accommodate the increased exercise and demand on the muscles.

It's critical to remember that the water your body is holding onto because your muscles are using it to store fuel hides the fact that you are actually losing body fat. He cautions people not to be discouraged and to bear in mind that you want water stored in your muscles and available to keep your metabolism fired up and your muscles operating at high gear. Because we are accustomed to thinking of water weight as undesirable, we might be upset at the prospect of gaining it. But the additional water that you are temporarily holding on to will help ensure that you lose the right kind of weight-fat! Another reason NOT to weigh yourself too often in the beginning stages of any weight loss program, particularly if you have been increasing your exercise level. The frustration that comes with seeing these normal fluctuations causes many people to quit before they see real results. Be patient, they're coming!!

~~~I found all this fascinating, and as I looked back on my past attempts at losing weight through various fad diets, as well as my training numbers a few years ago before the string of injuries, this all makes perfect sense. Also explains why there is so much early weight loss in low carb diets such as Atkins and South Beach. No carbs, no water. Most of us probably already knew a lot of this, but putting the various pieces together for some reason really hit me. Just thought I'd share. Great book, and definitely NOT the latest fad diet craze. This is absolutely an educational way to a healthy lifestyle. There's even an emotional component that asks you to address WHY you overeat, or reach for food as comfort.
#12 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 05:17 PM

I found an interesting article in the NY Times, titled "I'm Not Really Running, I'm Not Really Running..." It's about how the mind can interfere in your athletic performance, and how to use meditative and disassociation strategies to overcome mental blocks.

Here are some excerpts:
BILL MORGAN, an emeritus professor of kinesiology at the University of Wisconsin, likes to tell the story, which he swears is true, of an Ivy League pole vaulter who held the Division 1 record in the Eastern region.
His coaches and teammates, though, noticed that he could jump even higher. Every time he cleared the pole, he had about a foot to spare. But if they moved the bar up even an inch, the vaulter would hit it every time. One day, when the vaulter was not looking, his teammates raised the bar a good six inches. The man vaulted over it, again with a foot to spare.
When his teammates confessed, the pole vaulter could not believe it. But, Dr. Morgan added, “once he saw what he had done, he walked away from the jumping pit and never came back.”
After all, Dr. Morgan said, everyone would expect him to repeat that performance. And how could he?
The moral of the story? No matter how high you jump, how fast you run or swim, how powerfully you row, you can do better. But sometimes your mind gets in the way. “All maximum performances are actually pseudo-maximum performances,” Dr. Morgan said. “You are always capable of doing more than you are doing.”
<snipped>

But since most people can do better, no matter how good their performance, the challenge is to find a safe way to push a little harder. Many ordinary athletes, as well as elites, use a technique known as dissociation.
Dr. Morgan, who tested the method in research studies, said he was inspired by a story, reported by an anthropologist that, he suspects, is apocryphal. It involves Tibetan monks who reportedly ran 300 miles in 30 hours, an average pace of six minutes a mile. Their mental trick was to fixate on a distant object, like a mountain peak, and put their breathing in synchrony with their locomotion. Every time a foot hit the ground they would also repeat a mantra.
So Dr. Morgan and his colleagues instructed runners to say “down” to themselves every time a foot went down. They were also to choose an object and stare at it while running on a treadmill and to breathe in sync with their steps. The result, Dr. Morgan said, was that the runners using the monks’ strategy had a statistically significant increase in endurance, doing much better than members of a control group who ran in their usual way.
That, in a sense, is the trick that Paula Radcliffe said she uses. Ms. Radcliffe, the winner of this year’s New York City Marathon, said in a recent interview that she counts her steps when she struggles in a race. “When I count to 100 three times, it’s a mile,” she said. “It helps me focus on the moment and not think about how many miles I have to go. I concentrate on breathing and striding, and I go within myself.”
<end excerpt>

The whole article can be found at http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/06/he...tml?ref=health
#13 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 05:20 PM
sdp

Not a 'true' health tip - more fitness but isn't it all related?

If you are looking for a slimmer waistline, avoid training your abs with heavy loads. You should shoot for a weight that you can achieve at least 15 repetitions per set. Between sets, keep your rests to 60 seconds or less. You can also use your own bodyweight as resistance. Make sure to concentrate on contracting your abs on each repetition.
#14 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Special Member

Likes Given: 3
10 Healthy Tips for the Day:

1. Move More
Make it a daily challenge to find ways to move your body. Climb stairs if given a choice between that and escalators or elevators. Walk your dog; chase your kids; toss balls with friends, mow the lawn. Anything that moves your limbs is not only a fitness tool, it's a stress buster. Think 'move' in small increments of time. It doesn't have to be an hour in the gym or a 45-minute aerobic dance class or tai chi or kickboxing. But that's great when you're up to it. Meanwhile, move more. Thought for the day: Cha, Cha, Cha…. Then do it!

2. Cut Fat
Avoid the obvious such as fried foods, burgers and other fatty meats (i.e. pork, bacon, ham, salami, ribs and sausage). Dairy products such as cheese, cottage cheese, milk and cream should be eaten in low fat versions. Nuts and sandwich meats, mayonnaise, margarine, butter and sauces should be eaten in limited amounts. Most are available in lower fat versions such as substitute butter, fat free cheeses and mayonnaise. Thought for the day: Lean, mean, fat-burning machine…. Then be one!

3. Quit Smoking
The jury is definitely in on this verdict. Ever since 1960 when the Surgeon General announced that smoking was harmful to your health, Americans have been reducing their use of tobacco products that kill. Just recently, we've seen a surge in smoking in adolescents and teens. Could it be the Hollywood influence? It seems the stars in every movie of late smoke cigarettes. Beware. Warn your children of the false romance or 'tough guy' stance of Hollywood smokers. Thought for the day: Give up just one cigarette…. the next one.

4. Reduce Stress
Easier said than done, stress busters come in many forms. Some techniques recommended by experts are to think positive thoughts. Spend 30 minutes a day doing something you like. (i.e.,Soak in a hot tub; walk on the beach or in a park; read a good book; visit a friend; play with your dog; listen to soothing music; watch a funny movie. Get a massage, a facial or a haircut. Meditate. Count to ten before losing your temper or getting aggravated. Avoid difficult people when possible. Thought for the day: When seeing red, think pink clouds….then float on them.

5. Protect Yourself from Pollution
If you can't live in a smog-free environment, at least avoid smoke-filled rooms, high traffic areas, breathing in highway fumes and exercising near busy thoroughfares. Exercise outside when the smog rating is low. Exercise indoors in air conditioning when air quality is good. Plant lots of shrubbery in your yard. It's a good pollution and dirt from the street deterrent. Thought for the day: 'Smoke gets in your eyes'…and your mouth, and your nose and your lungs as do pollutants….hum the tune daily.

6. Wear Your Seat Belt
Statistics show that seat belts add to longevity and help alleviate potential injuries in car crashes. Thought for the day: Buckle down and buckle up.

7. Floss Your Teeth
Recent studies make a direct connection between longevity and teeth flossing. Nobody knows exactly why. Perhaps it's because people who floss tend to be more health conscious than people who don't? Thought for the day: Floss and be your body's boss.

8. Avoid Excessive Drinking
While recent studies show a glass of wine or one drink a day (two for men) can help protect against heart disease, more than that can cause other health problems such as liver and kidney disease and cancer. Thought for the day: A jug of wine should last a long time.

9. Keep a Positive Mental Outlook
There's a definitive connection between living well and healthfully and having a cheerful outlook on life. Thought for the day: You can't be unhappy when you're smiling or singing.

10. Choose Your Parents Well
The link between genetics and health is a powerful one. But just because one or both of your parents died young in ill health doesn't mean you cannot counteract the genetic pool handed you. Thought for the day: Follow these basic tips for healthy living and you can better control your own destiny.

~Tammy~

#15 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 09:46 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 1

On Wisconsin!
#16 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

I had an appointment with my chiropractor today. Among other things, we discussed the migraines I've been having and the possible relationship poor sleep might have.

Long story short, my new tidbit of info from my chiro: magnesium is a good supplement to help with relaxation, and hence, better sleep. It's a natural muscle relaxer. For anyone taking calcium supplements, magnesium is a good counterpart, too. Calcium causes muscle contraction, so taking magnesium can counteract that. My chiro said to take about 1/2 as much mag as calcium. (Start out with less than that, though, because mag also causes loose stools).

I'm going to try it, as I'm a very "type A" personality with lots of stress issues. Usual disclaimers apply.
#17 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 6
Seems completely appropriate since we're in December here

Top 10 Holiday Food Safety Tips

Also wanted to say how important it is to exercise the mental muscle as well as your the physical ones. I've noticed that my mental sharpness has kinda' declined a bit over the past few months to the point where it's become quite garishly noticeable, and I've pinpointed it to the fact that I'm not doing as many logic/math/word games and puzzles as I used to.

One of my early new year's resolutions is to take a few minutes out of every day to do something along that vein.

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog
#18 of 22 Old 12-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Special Member

At the dinner table, I told mr jebba that we're supposed to learn something new from webmd or a doctor, and asked him to tell me something new. He said, "You're too old for the hpv vaccine to be considered effective." *Insert Marge Simpson growl here.*

So I looked up better sleep:
Limit caffeine and alcohol before bed
Don't exercise right before bed
Cut out stress
Limit spicy food before bed

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.

#19 of 22 Old 12-11-2007, 12:04 AM

Since I've been considering getting a tattoo for a few months - here is an article on how to safely pick an artist/shop:

http://www.safe-tattoos.com/faq.htm
#20 of 22 Old 12-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Special Member

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stress/SR00050

I found these short blogs on the mayo clinic site about stress, so I checked them out b/c I am one who often and easily gets stressed out. It suddenly occured to me today that I could either choose to be irritated and cranky when I am stressed, or I could accept that life is hectic and instead choose to remain positive. Easier said than done, but I figure I'm better off trying to keep my crankiness at bay rather than giving in to it completely!

Anyway, i'm choosing to post this particular blog b/c it refers to running.

"Life is a marathon — Stay focused
20 comments posted
Read comments | Post a comment By Edward T. Creagan, M.D.
Let me share another perspective of living in the moment.

On Sunday, my wife and I ran the Twin Cities Marathon. We are experienced runners; Peggy had completed 6 and I have run 8 marathons. At the start the humidity was 80% and temperature was 74 degrees. The medical directors seriously considered canceling the event.

Of the 10,500 starters, 3,000 never finished and 250 needed medical interventions, twice the usual number. We each finished, but it was not pretty. What got us through was the notion of "staying in the moment." Not looking too far down the road, the future, and not thinking of how far we had come, the past. We focused on each step, stayed focused on the moment and it all worked out.

So how does each of us silence the demons of our past, and how do we silence the demons lurking outside our door?

Please share your thoughts. "
#21 of 22 Old 12-11-2007, 01:53 AM
Special Member

Heart Disease is the number one killer of women. Here are some tips to help reduce your risk of developing heart related problems. http://women.webmd.com/guide/heart-healthy-diet

1-Eat more fish. Fish is a good source of protein and other nutrients. It also contains omega-3 fatty acids, which may help reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke.
2- Eat more vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and legumes.
3- Choose fat calories wisely.
4- Limit total fat grams.
5- Eat a bare minimum of saturated fats and trans fats.
6- When you use added fat, use fats high in monounsaturated fats (for example, fats found in olive and peanut oil).
7- Eat a variety of protein food, balancing animal, fish, and vegetable sources of protein.
8- Limit cholesterol consumption.
9- Feed your body regularly.
#22 of 22 Old 12-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Special Member

I've recently added running to my exercise schedule, and have found that my appetite has soared! Should I be eating anything before running? Or after? Suggestions on how to counter an over-active appetite?

Question in full: I've been using the bodybugg™ for 12 weeks now, and am happy with my progress so far. I've recently added running to my exercise schedule, and have found that my appetite has soared! I'm not burning that many more calories running than I would otherwise during a workout, but am finding that I'm so hungry that I'm having trouble meeting my deficit daily. Should I be eating anything before running? Or after? Suggestions on how to counter an over-active appetite?
Answer: Congratulations on your success with the bodybugg program! There are a few factors to consider while looking for a solution to your appetite issue. One is when you're eating relative to when you're running. Another is meal frequency-how often are you eating throughout the day? The third factor to keep in mind is what you're eating.

If you are an athlete or exerciser you need to have at least 45% of your caloric intake made up of carbohydrates. Your body composition goal determines the total calorie intake and your activity determines the % make up of those calories (protein, carbs and fats). Therefore if you are an exerciser/athlete pursuing a weight loss goal and allowed 2000 calories/day in order to continue dropping fat, then those calories should be "good" carbohydrates. If you are not an exerciser/athlete then it matters less how you eat your 2000 calories. If you choose to make up your calories with primarily protein and/or fat you may become lethargic and burn less calories, ultimately forcing you to keep lowering your intake to maintain weight loss, and you may develop powerful cravings for what your body needs most in order to produce energy: carbohydrates. Better to head off those cravings before you find you've eaten two-thirds of a pizza and half a quart of ice cream!

Just remember when it comes to weight loss it's all about calories, and when it comes to performance it's all about carbohydrates ~ so pick the foods that make you feel the best within the calories you are allowed. For more information on the role of carbohydrates in an athletes or exercisers diet read Neal's Conversation Corner "Carbohydrates (including Sugars): the Exerciser's and Athlete's Ally."

Should you eat before working out? If you are a recreational exerciser or simply working to attain fitness, weight loss, etc., you can certainly achieve your goal not consuming anything 45 minutes before a workout. But doing so can make the workout more productive (and for competitive athletes the practice of consuming the proper formulated snack ~10-45 minutes before a workout has become standard protocol in order to maximize energy levels throughout the training/event period and speed the recovery process). See the September/October 05 Conversation Corner "Maximize the Power of Your Own Anabolic Hormones by Harnessing the Magic of Insulin" and the March 06 Conversation Corner "Anabolic Cocktail."

If you'd like to try adding a snack after your workout, the Workout Shake might be a good starting point for you. You may find that ingesting a snack with the proper protein to carbohydrate ratio will curb your newly boosted appetite in such a way that at meal time you're more easily satiated without blowing your deficit goal for the day. Lastly, check out our Knowledge Builder on Satiety, located under the My Resources tab of your bodybugg program.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page