Likes Given: 0
Post results of your Food Guide Pyramid experimentation, 10 pts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 9
I found that I really had to think and plan about what I was going to eat and when, in order to get all the food groups covered. I also found that I ate a lot more food when trying to do this.
#3 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
I was surprised to see the two categories I was lacking in: grains and dairy. I went into this thinking I had a fairly well balanced diet--heck, I have my oatmeal every morning (the equivalent of 2.5-3 grain servings)and eat at least one yogurt a day, sometimes two--just not enough servings on either for an entire day. So I also had to put a little more planning into things. And the number of calories the pyramid website listed seemed like a lot to me--2200 for me but that's to maintain, not to lose weight.

Getting the required number of servings on the lean meat category was very easy, usually I went over. While I have not been following any specific diet plan for a long time, it made it seem like I was following more of a high protein type of diet than I realized. Not necessarily low carb though since I eat tons of fruits and veggies, just not as many grains as I probably should have. I shouldn't be too surprised on the grains though--we've cut out a lot of breads and things like rice just because it is so easy at dinner to over eat those things.

I've also been tracking my water to try to get that up and the Diet Coke down, which earned me a lecture about the "evils" of Diet Coke when I told my trainer yesterday what I was working on diet-wise .

Lisa

#4 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 11:35 AM
sdp

Likes Earned: 0
I actually started following the weight watchers point module 1 month ago (down 4.5 lbs) yesterday - this fit in very well w/ following the food pyramid.
Anywho....I found that I was not eating nearly enough fiber. My water consumption is top notch - that's about all I drink and it's in excess of 100 oz / day. The other area I have to pay attention to is protein. I don't always get enought of that.
#5 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Special Member

My diet was pretty horrible going into this - not a lot of junk food, but not a lot of fruits and vegetables. I have no problem with the grains, but the fruit and vegetable piece was a challenge for me b/c I would rather eat cheerios and crackers. I'm not a huge meat fan, so as an alternative I included more beans in my diet and I also tried this soy stuff from Morningstar that I used in tacos. I have a long way to go as far as eating properly goes.
#6 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 6
I figured out what I pretty much already knew - I'm not that great in the veggies and fruits department. Otherwise, I was pretty close to what I should be in most of the other categories.

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog
#7 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
I really am not fond of fruit, so I need to get much better about that. I'm great on veggies, though. I need to be better about dairy and nonmeat protein sources.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.

#8 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Addicted Member

I've actually gotten a lot better about fruits & veggies since trying to cut back on meat eating. I need to up the dairy, which surprised me. I'm pretty good with whole grains, I rarely eat anything "white" anymore but I need to branch out and try more of the ones that are gluten-free, like quinoa and millet. Otherwise, I didn't do too badly.
#9 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Special Member

Well it was pretty much as expected. I had to work REALLY hard to get all my fruits and veggies in! Still working on it....
#10 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Special Member

I always knew I didn't eat enough fruits and veggies, but was surprised to find that I was also lacking enough dairy. I've started incorporating a veggie or two during dinner, an apple in the afternoon, and a yogurt in the morning.
#11 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 2
My food pyramid was pretty disastrous. I'm good with water intake and dairy. Decent with fruits, veggies, and proteins. But horrible with carbs. I'm a real carboholic. No wonder I have a "fluffy" tummy, as my DH says. I need to do some radical revisions in my diet but I feel helpless to make such big changes.

I know that I also overeat slightly, but I feel that's not as important as getting a better balance of the foods that I do eat.

Susan

Running in memory of my Dad.
#12 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Addicted Member

Ooh, water. I forgot. I do need to get better about that too.
#13 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
The area I needed to work on was fruits and veggies. I eat a fair amount but not the recommended portions. So I really concentrated on getting lots of different fruits and/or veggies every day.
#14 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Veggies are my biggest challenge. I often get some in but not nearly enough. I worked hard to better plan lunches and dinners that would include more veggies and, for several meals, make them centerstage.
#15 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 03:25 PM

My problem was with mainly with the dairy products...not enough.
I'm also eating a lot more if I follow the pyramid to the letter.
#16 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

While following the food pyramid for the past week, I substituted veggies and fruits for when I would normally have some form of junk food (sweets and fat). I had to up my dairy many days. I cut back some on my meat servings since they tend to be too high. Grains and water were already pretty good, although I could still stand to add more whole grains.

I'll try to keep up with the general proportional guidelines for a while longer, even though today's pyramid has already gotten top heavy and collapsed.
#17 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Special Member

I am terrible about getting enough dairy. I just hate the thought of drinking milk, so I ate a lot of cheese! Also, I found it easy during the week, but the weekend does a job on my eating. I have a lot of work to do!
#18 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 06:32 PM

I too was eating a lot more than usual, even though I used their website to design a 1600 calorie a day diet. To meet all the dietary goals I tended to exceed 1600 calories handily.

Strangely, I had trouble with grains and dairy most of all. I thought my bete noir would be the vegetables, since I usually don't get enough of those. I got plenty of veggies this week, but struggled to get the others.

Overall, I had trouble hitting the serving goals. I'd always be off on at least one category per day -- usually under. It was an interesting experiment, and I had fun with it, but I think I do better with keeping just the food diary, rather than trying to be so regimented every day. I spent a little more time than I thought was healthy thinking about my meals.
#19 of 25 Old 12-06-2007, 10:34 PM

Likes Earned: 15
I have to say that I don't drink milk at all although I do eat cheese, cottage cheese and yogurt but I can't have as much in a day as is recommended.
I do use calcium enriched soymilk though and I take calcium supplements.
I always eat whole grains but also find the amount of servings they recommend to be high. Not that I am being successful at losing weight but I saw a nutritionist last year and showed her a few weeks worth of food logs and she said I could cut carbs a bit more and I wasn't eating the recommended amount then. Note, she didn't say cut them OUT, just down.

No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch

"It's totally okay for you to be less of an ass than you thought you were" Big Gahoona
#20 of 25 Old 12-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Advanced Member

I definitely do best when I write down what I eat. When I do that, I tend to make sure I eat the foods I need. That said, the areas I had trouble with last week were dairy and protein. I get most of my dairy from yogurt, but who wants to eat 3 a day? Some days I made fat free pudding from a mix (with skim milk) to get another dairy. I tend to sacrifice protein for carbs, too...just a weakness I have.

Overall, I think my days averaged out about right. If I knew I was deficient in dairy one day, the next I'd try to "overdo" the dairy. What I learned is that it takes deliberate effort to eat a balanced diet.
#21 of 25 Old 12-07-2007, 01:01 AM

Likes Earned: 11
I have the most problem with whole grains and water. I'm good for the fruits and veggies and the milk and the protein, but whole grains. Yuck. Good for cholesterol bad for tastebuds.

2011 - ThisĀ  year is about the journey to December 31, 2011, not how soon the number on the scale satisfies me.
#22 of 25 Old 12-07-2007, 01:06 AM
Addicted Member

well I sucked at it. In the beginning, I found way too many foods that I couldn't put in one of the good categories so I guess that means they were in that teeny tiny tip of fats/sugars. I was surprised that I did well with fruits and veggies. I add spinach to almsot everything I can-raw or frozen plus I just got a big crate of those clementines-love them! Sadly when I did well with dairy it was only b/c I was pouring it over my PB Captain Crunch
#23 of 25 Old 12-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Special Member

It was hard! Just because I was really lacking in veggies and dairy...I don't like most dairy products...it's definitely something I have to keep working on!
#24 of 25 Old 12-09-2007, 12:20 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 10
Had to force the whole grains and DAIRY especially. Fell short on dairy quite a bit. No wonder calcium is short for me without supplementation. Did great with fruits, veggies, and my recent focus on protein really showed as I actually got enough!

Maybe had a bit too much of the tip.. .what does use sparingly mean anyways?
#25 of 25 Old 12-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 16
Likes Given: 1

On Wisconsin!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page