August already!! - KickRunners.com

#1 of 3 Old 08-01-2017, 09:11 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 1
August already!!

I need to work on my water crossings. 25k race managed to stay upright except two crossings of the spillway below the dam. The race was two lollipop loops with the first being 8.8 miles. There was also a 15k race and everybody ran this loop together. After the first mile, I was in 9th but quickly passed 4 runners when we got on the single track. I stayed in 5th the rest of the loop. When I started the next loop, I was in 4th. I thought one runner ahead of me must have been in the 15k but I either passed a runner or he took a wrong turn. At 10 miles I came to the spillway crossing. The race director put a rope across but it didn't help that much. I completely submerged on the way across which actually felt pretty good. After that was the hardest part of the course with two steep climbs. After 5 miles I was back at the spillway determined not to fall again. I got halfway across and went down. This time both calves started cramping but I finally made it across. The effort left me gasping for air so I started to hike the hill up the dam to the aid station. I looked and saw 3rd place at the aid station so now I was going to have to run hard. Fortunately he was still at the aid station when I went by. I put a couple minutes on him the last mile and finished 3rd in 2:33:16. This will help me get ready for a trail marathon in two weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-05-2017, 10:34 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

QpRan the local 5k Thursday evening. No rain came in so it wa s a little warm around 80. Not the best weather to wear a Winnie the Pooh costume that included tights, a long and short sleeve shirt, gloves, and the cloth Pooh head. Ended up just over 7 minute pace at 21:50 for first in my age group.

Back on the trails for 4 miles Friday. Saturday morning I did 5.5 miles on the Buckeye trail clearing downed trees the best I could with a foldable pruner. The 5.5 miles back was much easier after I ran through all the spider webs on the way out. Couldn't do much with the briars so my legs and arms are all scratched up.

Planning on a nice clear rails to trails run Sunday morning.
#3 of 3 Old 08-30-2017, 09:30 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Biting off more than you can chew. I ran the old farts marathon in Lowell Michigan. I started slow and got slower but made it through two laps in 4:57:58 to finish 5th. The race included 7 crazy steep hills in a 4 mile section along with jumping over or crawling under over 200 trees or branches each loop. I thought this would be good training for a 50 mile race two weeks later.

I really had trouble recovering but felt pretty good at the start of the Baker Trail challenge. I had splits set up for 9:12 with a B goal of 10 hours. The first few miles wasn't that tough but the course got hillier and more technical as the race went on. It was amazing how close I was hitting my splits at the aid stations. Once I got around 20 miles, my knees started aching on the downhills and I got slower. I got to the 23.8 mile aid station in 4:37 seven minutes behind goal pace and couldn't run much after that. After 10 more miles mostly in the woods, the last 15 miles was on roads and smooth rail trail. All I could do was keep up a fast paced hike at 14 minutes per mile. I did jog the last 1/2 mile through town to finish in 10:51.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page