May has arrived - KickRunners.com

#1 of 14 Old 05-03-2017, 07:28 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 1
May has arrived

Still recovering from trail race. 5 miles Monday, 7 Tuesday, and 7 today all at an easy pace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 05-05-2017, 04:15 PM
Special Member

Likes Given: 5
Your 20k sounds tough and fun.

Finished Kentucky derby marathon. 3 x 1/2 weather delays caused us to finish in some pretty tough heat. Kentucky is beautiful.

First runpost marathon this morning was 7 miles. Tomorrow 15 scheduled. Next race in Idaho in 16-17 weeks. Also signed up for Indianapolis in November.
#3 of 14 Old 05-07-2017, 01:31 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Congrats on Kentucky. Idaho really sounds fun.

I have a 25k trail race next week and a 12 hour race the following weekend. 12 hour is a 5k loop on non technical trail.

Ran 12 Friday and 2 easy yesterday. Long and slow on the treadmill this evening.

#4 of 14 Old 05-08-2017, 08:32 AM
Special Member

Ran 6.8 miles Friday morning and 15 Sat morninging. Got a cramp in my calf at 7.5 miles. Had to stop and walk it. Finished at it was faster pace than my marathon. 13.1 miles 5 mins plus faster than my half split in KY. But my calf was so sore I was limping Sat and Sun. Better today but not going to run till short test Tuesday night.
#5 of 14 Old 05-10-2017, 09:19 AM
Special Member

Ran 2.5 miles on treadmill last night and then a shooting pain in calf. Decided not to run this morning as it's hills day. Try again easy Thursday morning.
#6 of 14 Old 05-14-2017, 09:36 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

How's the calf doing?

I ran the Thunderbunny 25k which was at least 17 miles. We started with the 50k so there were about 200 of us. The first mile was mostly flat with a little road and single track along Dow Lake. When we entered the Thunderbunny trail I was around 15th place but didn't know how many were doing the 50k. The trails were in great shape as was the weather. It was 50 at the start and sunny. I was in a group of 3 or 4 runners at a time with a little leapfrogging. When we got to the end of the Thunderbunny at the road I checked my watch and was at 32 minutes. The group splintered up as one of the guys went ahead and I stayed pretty close. I finished the next section in 59 minutes and headed toward the finish line. Last year I had done the 12k at this race but doing the 25k this year, I headed into the woods again instead of to the finish. I still had to run around the lake, but would have done the 12k faster than I did it last year. I was now running alone on trail I hadn't been on before heading to the 8.5 mile aid station. I reached that in 68 minutes though its hard to tell how accurate the distances are. The next aid station would be at the dam at 14.1 miles. At 10 miles into the race, I really started feeling good and pushing the pace. The hills were much smaller than expected and much easier than at the last couple races I ran. I heard some voices and saw 4 runners ahead of me running together. I caught them pretty quickly and was lucky to be at a place on the trail I was able to pass all four at once. I put in a surge for a couple minutes as their talking grew fainter and eventually I couldn't hear them anymore. There were still about 10 runners ahead of me between the two races. I came out of the woods at the dam and they had us run down the gravel road to the aid station and then right back up to cross the dam. At that point I thought I had 3.4 miles to run and knew there was a sign in the woods signifying the 25k point. I reached that in 2:09 estimating I had about 15 minutes left. While the trail was pretty flat, it kept going and going. When I came to an opening, I would try to see where the end of the lake was knowing I had one mile left from that point. I finally made it to the junction as my watch turned to 2:21. I retraced the first mile we ran and made it back to the finish in 2:29:26. I was 3rd overall and first master. Next race will be a 12 hour in Terre Haute on Saturday.
#7 of 14 Old 05-16-2017, 07:14 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Easy runs this week. 4 Sunday, 5 Monday, and 5.75 Tuesday.
#8 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 09:27 AM
Special Member

Nice racing Rip.

Decided to take Monday thru Friday off this week. I am anchoring our 6 person beach to bay marathon relay this year. Just 5.25 miles but will be hot and humid. Calf not quite 100% but I should be able to run. It's better. If it holds up; then marathon training restarts next Monday.
#9 of 14 Old 05-20-2017, 09:37 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Ran my first 12 hour race and it went better than expected. Decided to go with all solid food (no gels) and diluted Gatorade. During the day I had rice, a couple bites of a sub, chocolate covered pretzels, and a chocolate peanut butter wafer.

I started at an easy pace which was just under 30 minutes for a 5k loop. The course was 1/3rd grass, 1/3rd asphalt, and 1/3rd gravel. There were 3 short hills that took about 30 seconds to run up. First 3 hours were nice. Low 60s with a little humidity. I was just short of 6 laps and 18.6 miles. Then the storms came and it dumped rain on us for the next 3 hours. The upside was that it kept us cooler. The water and mud slowed me down a little as I was just over 35 miles at the halfway point. As it was clearing up, I hit 40 miles in just under 7 hours which was the most I had run at one time. I was slowing some but was able to keep running for 17 laps (52.7 miles) as the temp got in the 80s. It was scorching hot a couple laps on the mostly open first mile. My legs were hurting so I started hiking knowing I could do 3 more laps to get to 62 miles. I did that and got to the finish in 11:30:42. At that point we could start doing a half mile out and back loop on the road. I started jogging with the intent to do a couple miles. When I saw I was able to keep a sub 10 minute pace, I decided to shoot for 3 miles. I finished with almost 2 minutes to spare so I ran the last 3 miles under 28 minutes. That ended up being the difference as I ran 65 miles and won the race by 1 mile. I didn't have any nutrition issues and no major muscles cramped up. The hard part will be getting my run in tomorrow to keep my 2+ year old streak going. It will be very slow.
#10 of 14 Old 05-22-2017, 10:46 AM
Special Member

That's a fair amount of miles for 12 hours Rip.

Ran 5.25 miles of relay Saturday in90 degrees and humidity. Had a short visit to Mexico tent to get temps down. While there they drowned my iPhone. We finished 98 of 1650 registered teams and 6 out of 19 in mixed masters. We ran 3;41:49 after estimating we would run 3:42-3:45 in good conditions. This teams previous best was 4;02. 3rd place beat us by 6 mins and fifth by 1 min. 1st and second 3:15/18. Legs sore this morning but ran 6 in the rain. Calf was perfect
#11 of 14 Old 05-22-2017, 08:07 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Nice racing KS. The rain ruined my radio but it won't cost as much to replace as an iPhone. I waited until the rain stopped before listening to my ipod.

2 mile slow shuffle yesterday and 3.5 mile slow jog today.
#12 of 14 Old 05-26-2017, 06:44 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Short runs but starting to recover. 4 miles today in 33:14.

Going to run on the Buckeye Trail tomorrow.
#13 of 14 Old 05-27-2017, 07:22 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

7 miles on the Buckeye trail. Felt pretty good though I was a little more tired than usual when I finished. Hip flexor tightness mostly gone.
#14 of 14 Old 05-30-2017, 08:43 AM
Special Member

Cut my long run Saturday from 14 to 5. Bored and tired.

Torrential rain, thunder, lightening, and flooding Sunday night thru Mon morning caused cancellation of run. Ran 8 Monday night in 90 degrees and 90% humidity. Gym and weights tonight.

Cutting Saturday short cut my weekly mileage to only 39.5. Hopefully 50 this week.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page