November runs and races - KickRunners.com
 1Likes

#1 of 29 Old 11-02-2016, 06:03 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 1
November runs and races

Started the month with a trail run at Mohican State Forest. Parked by the covered bridge which is the lowest part of the forest. Ran up one of the original trails almost to the firetower. Took the road 1.5 miles back to the bridge. Turned on the mountain bike trail heading the other way and ran 3.5 miles gaining another few hundred feet of elevation gain. Ran 1.1 miles on another road back to the bridge where I got back on the mountain bike trail. This trail came out about the same place as the first trail I ran and I finished off the workout by hammering the last 1.33 miles down the road at 6:25 pace. Total run was 12.2 miles in 1:45:30 with about 1,800 ft. elevation gain.
Laura in Houston likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 29 Old 11-02-2016, 07:34 PM

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 62
Howdy all,

That sounds like a wonderful run, rip! Wish I had some elevation to work on, other than the 7 floors of 39 steps per floor at work, but that will have to do for now.

I've done a big ol' bunch of NUTHIN' the last 3 weeks. Plantar fasciitis in left foot. Heel pain is a booger! But - it's gradually been better and better since I've rested it. I should have been doing some bike work or something. I have a cute little 10-minute HIIT stationary bike workout that I can do in my clinic after work. Would at least keep the heart in some kind of shape, but no. I've been a sloth.

Well, went to my OBGYN and PCP on Monday for my annuals, and my blood pressure was a HORRID 160/90, at both offices! This will not do, not at all.

I blame the salt. It was my 56th birthday on Sunday, and I prefer a big ol' bowl of salty buttered popcorn, and Chuy's Tex-Mex with salty chips and salsa (and creamy jalapeno dip!) over a chocolate birthday cake any day. Really overdid it, so I guess I'll stick to chocolate for a while! LOL

So I guess I better figure out a way to get this foot back in gear, and hit that bike, and will keep track of my BP on this app I just downloaded, and go back to my doc in a month. My daddy died at 64 of a heart attack, lived on cigarettes and coffee. I plan to stick around a little longer than that. (I do drink coffee, I just don't have a cigarette with mine.) I'm 6' and 138 lbs, so I'm not overweight, never have been. Most ever was 170 when I was pregnant, so that doesn't count! LOL

Getting blood work done on Friday, to check cholesterol and etc. Dad did pass on the high cholesterol gene, so I'm hoping that's not as bad as the blood pressure. I really do not want to have to be on meds, but I also do not want a stroke or MI. My job is to rehab others through those things, so I won't be living in denial.

If anyone has any ideas on plantar fasciitis treatments, pass them on. I do know a few things to do. I have high arches, so I stretch my heel cords a lot, just because it feels good. Maybe need to get some new shoes, for work and for running.

Looking forward to Fall, if it ever gets here. I know you're waiting too, KS!

PS. Go Cubs!
#3 of 29 Old 11-03-2016, 11:33 AM
Special Member

Likes Given: 5
Nice run Rip. Sounds fun.

Laura. Take care of foot and bp! I've met you and don't remember you at 6' tall.

On pace for 55 mikes this week. Ran two days 8.5 hilly miles around lake Weatherford. 7 miles this morning around enchanted rock and up it at state park. Dinner tonight w daughter in SA followed by 7 on river walk in morning. 18 scheduled Saturday. Lots if rain in area, finally.

#4 of 29 Old 11-03-2016, 04:13 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Hi Laura and KS

Happy Birthday Laura! Take care of that BP. The PF will eventually get better.

Nice runs KS. I ran a 5k in Haltom City when I was there for the NBA all star game a few years ago.
Was the weather a little nicer?

I ended up with 177 miles in October. 2166 for the year so I have a shot at 2,500.

Today I did a little under 5 miles at just over 8 minute pace.
#5 of 29 Old 11-05-2016, 04:19 PM

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 62
Wait, we met, KS? I remember we were gonna try to, but we didn't, so maybe that's some other short chick you remember, LOL. I've been 6' tall a long time, and I stand up straight, never slouch! Okay, I'm slouching right now because I'm sitting at my laptop, but I really try to even sit up straight most of the time.

Hmmm, was I sitting down when we met? Ahrg - I hate not remembering stuff like this!

And last night, an old friend and co-worker surprised several of us at happy hour after work, and I didn't recognize her because she had gained so much weight - until she spoke, and then I recognized her voice. She actually looked like a Physician Assistant intern we had for a while, so my brain kept trying to match the person with that memory. Brains are odd sometimes, but I'm glad I've got as much as I do, I guess.

o_O
#6 of 29 Old 11-06-2016, 05:40 PM
Special Member

Laura - I thought we met in passing during TIR but maybe not. St my age; who knows.

Am going to get about 1/2 of rips yearly mileage this year.

Anxious to start next week's runs.

Watched NY marathon this morning. Our club had one guy 3:08 and one lady 4:16 in the race. He was hoping for his first sub three. Was 1:31 at half.
#7 of 29 Old 11-06-2016, 08:51 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Hi Laura and KS

Missed the marathon this morning as I was travelling to Fort Wayne for the Indiana Trees Trail Challenge. The biggest challenge was how they fit the first 6 miles of trail in such a tiny space!! There were people all over the place. The switchbacks were so close you didn't know if the runner beside you going the other way was ahead or behind. Is it possible to make 70 turns per mile? After 3.5 miles the 4 milers turned off and that opened it up some. Right after that we had a small water crossing and a guy in front of me was tiptoeing across a log. I plowed through, jumped up the bank and was past. There was a sharp left turn that I ran past allowing a guy who had been catching up to me get around. After the race he said he took a wrong turn earlier. After 2 more miles of insane mountain bike switchbacks, the trails finally opened up some. I got to the 7 mile aid station in just over 56 minutes. Shortly after that there was a section we went straight down a hill by the creek and right back up. We repeated that 3 times but the hill was only 40-50 ft. so it wasn't that tough. I passed a runner right before that section and was pushing a little harder. As I got near the end, I thought I was about done, but didn't know we had to run around a lake for a half mile. Once around the lake we turned and finished. I just got under 80 minutes running 79:40 and finishing 5th overall.

Last edited by ripvanracer; 11-07-2016 at 04:40 PM.
#8 of 29 Old 11-07-2016, 04:51 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

3 easy miles today. Next race is the Rough trail 14.5 mile with 3,845 elevation gain in Kentucky on Saturday. I'll run easy all week to be rested up. Goal is 2:20. I have splits to shoot for at 6 different points. Going to carry a couple gels in case I start bonking near the end. Race mandates a water bottle so the plan is to run with it empty until the aid station at 11 miles. If I can run 2:20, I probably won't need fuel or water, but if takes longer I will.
#9 of 29 Old 11-09-2016, 08:55 AM
Special Member

Nice racing Rip. Where in KY?

10 moh this morning. Down to 66 degrees and N breeze but still humid. Fastest 10 I've run in a year. Still slow but fitness starting to return.

Cooler temps for weekend 20
#10 of 29 Old 11-09-2016, 12:50 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Hi KS

Trail race is at the Koomer Ridge campground near Pine, Ky about an hour from Lexington. It's in the Daniel Boone National Forest.

Easy 2 mile runs the last couple days.
#11 of 29 Old 11-11-2016, 11:27 AM
Special Member

7 miles this morning w some quality miles sandwiched in. I'll have 58 for week after tomorrow.

Julie and I signed up for Kentucky derby marathon end of April. I see it has a killer uphill mile around 11-12 miles.
#12 of 29 Old 11-11-2016, 07:12 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

I don't remember the hill being that big but we ran that loop the other way around the park during the Papa John's 10 mile a few years ago.

I hiked 3 miles and ran 2 miles of the trails I will be racing on tomorrow.
#13 of 29 Old 11-12-2016, 05:27 PM
Special Member

Hope you're right Rip. Good luck in your race.

19.25 for me today. Tried to run faster pace but bonked big st 17 miles. Really just shuffled in slowly. Still need a few more months of good mileage. KY will be a good test of where I'm at
#14 of 29 Old 11-13-2016, 10:42 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Regardless of how big the hill is KS, you get to go right back down the other side. That is a nice park to run through.

I was surprised when results were posted I won by 13 minutes. The best runner of the day was the winner of the 50k in 4:35. Since they started 2 hours before us, he finished 8 minutes after I did. He ran for Kentucky but doesn't have eligibility left and is graduating in December.

I didn't wear a gps but here is strava for the womens winner of my race.
https://www.strava.com/activities/773498123#18924979178

Today I ran on the Sheltowee trail about 40 miles north of where I raced. I hiked 3 miles and ran 3 miles.
#15 of 29 Old 11-14-2016, 07:07 AM
Special Member

Feels good to win a race!

6 miles this morning. Sub 79 degrees, no wind, and humids down a bit. 1 mi warmup; 6 x 800 w 400 recoveries; cool down. Faster avg than I did 2 weeks back but plenty of work ahead. 1st time in 7-8 years we had dog problem on this course. One just plain vicious dog. So much so that two cops were trying to get him cornered. Finally went back through the fence. Owners not home or couldn't hear their dogs. Have run by there many times and never seen or heard that dog bark.
#16 of 29 Old 11-14-2016, 02:44 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Looks like your training is going well KS.

No dogs on my running routes lately.

5.32 miles today. Just under 9 minute pace. Nothing hurt but everything is a little sore.
#17 of 29 Old 11-16-2016, 07:47 AM
Special Member

Skipped yesterday's run so I've got to catch up some miles Thurs or Friday.
10 moh this morning in 1:22:45. Still gaining on fitness. More than 2 mins faster than last week. Temp down to 60 this morning! Cold front coming Friday night and Sat run could be middle 50's. Sunday morning forecast 46!
#18 of 29 Old 11-16-2016, 04:51 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

We're getting a heat wave friday. Supposed to be near 70.

I ran 7 miles of trails Tuesday at the state park.

Today I tried to find the flattest roads and sidewalks for 5.14 miles.
#19 of 29 Old 11-17-2016, 12:48 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Fantastic sunny and low 60s. Short and faster today on a hilly road route. First 2.34 miles at 8 minute pace mostly up hill. Next 1.58 miles at 7:14 pace. Last 1.49 miles mostly downhill at 6:36 pace. 5.41 miles in 40:00 (7:23 pace)

Tomorrow I am going to Mohican to run trails. The plan is to run the mountain bike trail backwards from mile 24 to the trailhead at 15.5 and then take the road back to the car.
#20 of 29 Old 11-18-2016, 06:18 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Drove to Mohican State Forest on the last nice day for a while. 70 and sunny today with the forecast of possibly snow tomorrow. Walked .3 miles to the trailhead to run the mountain bike trail backward. Took .3 miles to get to the 24 mile marker. I ran to the other trail head just before the 15 mile marker. Around 1200 ft of elevation gain over 9 miles. At the trailhead I took the park road .6 miles to the hog hollow hiking trail. After a few ups and downs the trail went down 400 ft over 1.2 miles coming out at the covered bridge. From there I took the flat hemlock trail along the Clear Fork river back to the campground and then ran the road back to my car. Roughly 16 miles in 2:20.

Probably be on the treadmill tomorrow.
#21 of 29 Old 11-19-2016, 05:32 PM
Special Member

Nice long run Rip.

It was cold for us this morning. 54 degrees but with 15-25 colder N winds. That's 20 degrees colder than yesterday's run. 12 miles at 8:19 avg pace. 9:15 warmup mile. Then fastest 7:58 and slowest 8:25. Only 42 miles this week instead of 55. Body showing fatigue.
#22 of 29 Old 11-20-2016, 06:46 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

3 easy miles on the treadmill Saturday.

Today I did 7 miles in an hour at 1% incline. Knees ached a little from all the trail running I have been doing.
#23 of 29 Old 11-22-2016, 02:04 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Knees still aching on Monday so I did an up hill tempo on the treadmill. 11:32 pace. Started at 5% and finished at 13%. 4.25 miles in 50:00 over 2,000 ft elevation gain.

Today I ran at 3% incline 7 miles in 65:30.

No racing on Thanksgiving. Heading to Wisconsin to watch the Footlocker Midwest regional meet Saturday. A local runner whose older brothers ran for my high school is going to be competing. The family moved to a school about 20 miles away a few years ago. He won our state championship in the small division a couple weeks ago running 15:18. He has a good chance to advance to the national meet.
#24 of 29 Old 11-23-2016, 06:18 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Another hill run today. Mile warm-up followed by changing the incline every 1/2 mile. 12%, 6%, 13,7,14,8,15,9,12%. 5.34 miles in 60 minutes with 2,611 ft gain. Effort was supposed to be near 8 minute pace flat but it was a little harder.
#25 of 29 Old 11-24-2016, 04:24 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Level run on the treadmill today. Started slow and worked into the run. Knees ached for the first 20 minutes but nothing serious. 7 miles in a little under 61 minutes.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page