• 1 Post By ripvanracer
  • 1 Post By ksrunr
  • 1 Post By ripvanracer

#1 of 6 Old 09-28-2016, 12:34 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 1
Almost October 9-28

KR is virtually impossible to post from my home computer. Probably because it is too clogged up with ads and locks up my screen deleting any thing I have written before sending.

I ran the Great Race 5k and 10k Sunday. Was told 20 signed up for both but don't know how many actually ran. There were almost 8,000 10k finishers and 3349 5k finishers.

I parked at the start of the 10k and got there at 6:15 to make sure I got a good spot. I was going to change costumes so I needed to be close to the start. Both races are point to point so I jogged the 3.1 miles to the start of the 5k. I got there at 7:40 but had to wait in a long line to use the porta john. That left me only a couple minutes to warm up doing a few sprints. I was in my full winnie the pooh costume but still wanted to run as fast as I could.

From memory I checked my watch about 1/2 mile in and was at 303. After more downhill, I hit the mile in 603. I was 16 seconds slower than a couple years so I knew my time would be slow. I really slowed on the next uphill mile and was close to 7 minutes. Picked the pace back up the last downhill mile with a 617. 36 for the last .1 gave me a 19:56 time. After talking to a couple runners I knew, I headed for the bus to take me back to the 10k start. While standing in line, a reporter for the Pittsburgh Post interviewed me about my winnie the pooh costume.

Got on about the last bus and it took a long time to get to the start. Once there, we had to wait for the other busses to unload. I had 8 minutes to change and would have got to the start if I could have entered from the front but they made us go from the side. I was making my way through the crowd when the gun went off. I got to the start 35 seconds later. I had to weave my way through slower runners for long stretches. I forgot to start my watch but got to the mile in 7:45. The second mile was downhill and I ran 6:45. I started my watch then and set a goal of finishing in under 7 minute pace. My watch read 7:40 at the 5k so my actual time was 21:35. By 4 miles I had caught the 7 minute pacer and the clock read 28 minutes. I somehow ran the uphill 5th mile the same 7 minutes I had run it in the 5k. I finished the 6th mile in 6:25 and the .2 in 1:20. My second 5k split was 20:35 only 39 seconds slower than I had run it earlier. My finish time was 42:10. I ran the 10k in my British jean outfit so I am hoping for some good finish line photos! Next race is a half marathon in east central Ohio running on the Buckeye trail.
Laura in Houston likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-29-2016, 08:34 AM
Special Member

Likes Given: 5
Funny stuff Rip!

Looks like I'll avg 40 miles a week for September on 5 days a week running. I plan on going to 50 mpw in Oct based on 6 days.

We have finally turned the corner on this awful heat and will be in upper 60's and lower very soon for morning temps. And I think I've lost a few lbs. too! Not confident enough to get on a scale yet.
#3 of 6 Old 10-01-2016, 08:13 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Buckeye Trail half marathon (14 miles) Second place 1:54:51.

#4 of 6 Old 10-02-2016, 01:34 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Slow motion today for a 5 mile jog around town.

Next race is a 10k in southern Kentucky that involves ladders, stairs, and a natural tunnel. Last years winner ran over 47 minutes and he can run 1:20 half marathon and 2:54 marathon. I'll shoot for 50-52 minutes.
#5 of 6 Old 10-02-2016, 05:48 PM
Special Member

Likes Given: 5
Sounds like an interesting race.

I averaged 39.5 instead of 40. Goal next month is 50 per week running 6 days instead of 5
#6 of 6 Old 10-03-2016, 05:06 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Nice mileage KS

I had one of my lowest mileage months this year as I was racing a lot. 141 miles.

I already have almost 26 in the first 3 days this month.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page