1Likes
  • 1 Post By ripvanracer

#1 of 6 Old 09-12-2016, 07:12 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 5
9-12 and following

Nice trail race Rip.

Laura was just wondering about you. Boys growing up fast. You're running well it seems.

I survived the 15k "race" this weekend. 6 miles this morning to start the week. Ran 38 miles last week and hoping for 40-45 this week.

Still hit and humid here. Shoes currently in front of fan drying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-13-2016, 08:44 PM
Special Member

Likes Given: 1
Nice to hear from you Laura. I spent a lot of time with my parents watching the Olympics this summer.
Looks like you're getting your mileage back up KS.
Haven't heard from Heme for a while.

Here is my race report from this past weekend.

I had been eyeing the Helvetia (WV) 10k Mountain Run for a few years, but the 5.5 hour drive made it a difficult decision. I had also been trying to win a local race held the same weekend the last couple years that I had won over 30 years ago. After two second places to the same guy who has now won it 7 years in a row, I decided to give up for now.

I left Friday night and drove to Parkersburg I finished the drive to Helvetia Saturday morning and got there in time to see all of the festivities. That included some shops selling local goods, an interesting parade, and authentic Swiss dancing and singing on the main stage. After that I went to the race director’s farm where he opened it up to any runners who wanted to camp out and enjoy a great cookout. Around 5:30, he took another runner and I on a countryside run that included gravel and paved road, trails, and open farmland with some fantastic views of the countryside.

I made my way into Helvetia early Sunday morning and started warming up for the race. I have mostly been running half marathons lately so I needed to do a little more warm up for a faster start. It was soon 9 o’clock and time to begin. The first mile was on paved road and was a gradual downhill. After a half mile somebody made a comment about going for it. Heather Parks who had competed in the Olympic marathon trials in 2004 spoke up and said if a 41 year old mother of 3 was leading the race, she didn’t think anybody could be going for it! A short time later a young guy bolted to a 20 yard lead. Heather soon took off and caught him by the mile mark where we turned to run through a yard onto a trail. They had both pulled away from me but I was still in 3rd at 6:25. Soon after the mile, the eventual winner went by me to chase the other two. The trail led to the gravel Old Helvetia Road and it’s rolling hills which took us back toward the start line and the two mile mark. I got there in 13:32 running the slight uphill 2nd mile in 7:07. We turned right on the paved road, went by the start line and headed a half mile uphill before turning onto another gravel road for another half mile to get to the 3 mile mark. This mile gained 140 ft of elevation and I slowed a little to a 7:13 mile. I was in 4th place but probably 30 seconds back from the others. The fourth mile got a little steeper climbing 190 ft and was all on gravel road. I was surprised to see my time of 28:15 so I was running faster than expected. (The marker was probably .1 short) That is when the fun began. We turned onto more of a muddy, rocky double track and the elevation soon shot up to between 10-12%. At one point I looked at my watch and saw 31:30. Based on my 4 mile time, I estimated I should get to the top at 33 minutes so I started pushing harder. I had done some calculations before the race and was shooting for 34 minutes if the top of the climb was 4.5 miles. The climb kept going and going though and I had been gasping for air for a while but not to the point I had to walk any. (just barely) Half way up the climb I had spotted Heather and almost caught her. I finally got to the summit in 34:53. We took a right turn onto Zumbach Road and headed back to Helvetia. Heather pulled ahead a few seconds as I was trying to catch my breath and I got to the 5 mile mark at 38:17 for a 9:54 mile. At that point I thought about how hard I had been breathing running up hill and how easy I was now breathing. There are not many chances to run the last mile of a race straight down a mountain so I apologized to my knees and quads and took off at a sprint hoping to make it a half mile. I quickly passed Heather and before I knew it I was at the 6 mile marker in 5:19. I could see the finish as I got to Pickens Road, took left turn and sprinted to the finish in 44:40 for 3rd overall.
Laura in Houston likes this.
#3 of 6 Old 09-14-2016, 08:58 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

I haven't run a trail race in a year.

7.75 moh this morning. It was shoes in front of a fan to dry type of morning. Slow but sure.

#4 of 6 Old 09-15-2016, 08:18 PM
Special Member

Today was the first run since Sunday's race that my left knee didn't hurt but my quads and hips are still sore. Easy 3,4,3,and 2 miles the last 4 days. Old style 4 mile xc race on Saturday at the Pawpaw fruit festival.
#5 of 6 Old 09-17-2016, 07:18 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

14 miles today. Ran out of water last 2 miles and the sun got after us. 41+ miles this week. First time in long time over 40. Slow miles but injury free so far
#6 of 6 Old 09-18-2016, 07:33 AM
Special Member

Nice long run KS

I ran the 4 mile PawPaw festival xc race yesterday. Bunch of younger fast guys so after the half mile the pace pulled away from me. The hills were short, steep and muddy. One runner went down in front of me bombing down a hill. After the race he said he fell a second time. I stayed upright the whole race. Pushed pretty hard the whole race since it was much shorter than the distances I have been running. Passed one runner back before 3 miles but ran alone most of the race. 7:07,7:17,7:31,7:12 were my splits for a 29:07.

Today I shuffled the first couple miles getting loosened up. Ran through the state park where the lower section is closed off for the next year to replace a couple dams. Bushwacked a short distance to the highway instead of running through the construction area. (even though nobody was around on a sunday) Had to pick the Bluebur off my shorts and legs when I got done. 6 miles total.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page