Falling behind on the Weekly - 04/11 to 04/17 - KickRunners.com

#1 of 9 Old 04-11-2011, 05:47 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 20
Likes Given: 20

So here I am starting into the peak weeks of my training program, and my tail is dragging.  Foot hurts, right side is feeling tight and I'm tired all the time. 

Question:   What are your clues that you are overtraining?  Are you quick to adjust your schedule or do you try to gut it out?  What were the consequences?

Last couple of weeks (sorry, the net ate my last totals update)

two weeks back.......................last week

Happy............ 30 miles............................. 32 miles.... and the post I've wanted to read more than once for inspiration

JJJ................. 29.19 miles.......................... 39.6 ....... with a tough 21 miler under his belt!

Paul............ 31.4 miles............................... 35.4 miles... building nicely

Heme.............37.4 miles........................... 34.7 miles .......OK, it's a cutback

evanflein....... 46.6 miles ............................55.1 miles (holy crow! shock.gif)

OM.....................41 miles ........................... 40.7 miles.... Ms Consistent!!!

BTY........ no total given, last seen on track ......  26.9 miles .... and I'm wishing we'd see you more in the daily, my fren!

Hally........... ran 2, hiked 3........................... 5.5 ran, 6 walked/hike... on the mend!

Fortunate One.....27 miles ........................... 31.5 miles... another one under the weather, but doing greta!

Wow, what a tough and talented bunch we have here!  301.4 miles between us for this last week alone!  Woot! banana.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 04-11-2011, 07:29 PM

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 0

Plan                           Actual

M:  6 ..............................done, first half slow around 11 mpm, second half quite perky 10:25, 10:20, and10:40; felt terrific!

T:   3 slow.......................done

W:  8 with speed workout....done progressively: first half worked up from 12 to 11 mpm, second half: 10:40, 10:30, 10:20, 10:10

T:   3 slow...........................4 done

F:   rest...............................

S:  10-12............................14 done

S:  rest

TOTAL: 35 miles

I have to admit I haven't officially "trained" much ever; but I was piling on the miles the December before last to make my Pace Bunny goal and a couple times at the end of that road, I had the memorable experience of feeling like I was going to absolutely throw up if I ran another step. My body was sending me a very strong message and yes, I took a break!

Other than that experience of "overtraining," I have recently been trying to increase my weekly mileage and the distance of some of my runs. I found that when I moved Wed up to 8 miles and Monday up to 6 miles, I simply couldn't run on Thursday due to leg pains - I'd say from "overtaining" or just trying to do too much at this point. So after missing a couple Thursdays, I decided to reduce my Tues and Thurs runs to just 3 miles. So far, that has proved to be the solution. 

My "training plans" aren't set in stone. I have to work with the body I've got and its limitations.  I'll tough it out during a a planned run that may be quite challenging; but I'll review my plan, my goals, and where I'm at after it to see if any changes are needed so I can do better on that run the next time.

#3 of 9 Old 04-12-2011, 06:02 AM

Likes Earned: 15
Likes Given: 2

Thanks Heme! I don't train enough to overtrain!

Monday=1 mile

Tuesday=slept in

Wednesday= 30 min elliptical 20 min weights

Thursday= 1.5 miles

Friday=

Saturday=

Sunday=

No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch

"It's totally okay for you to be less of an ass than you thought you were" Big Gahoona

#4 of 9 Old 04-12-2011, 07:29 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 14

A good question for my return to the weekly (I may not post as much in the daily).  Having spent a lot of money on coaching, and getting injured during that time period, I think that is my overall clue.  If I'm spending $100 a month to fool myself into thinking I'm some kind of special runner, I'm out of balance and rely less on what I would call gut instincts instead of clues.  My gut instincts said to limit my running in the Green Silence, but I became such a speed freak I couldn't resist doing every run in them, which is probably why I got the stress fracture.

I think the best measure I have of my overall fitness, whether I'm running, cycling, or whatever, is weekly calories burned, and lately it's been rising to a level where it used to be as my cycling increases in duration & intensity, so I'd like to continue that trend and this thread should help.  Thanks!

eta-I asked one of the chattier cyclists in my group how many miles a week she rides, and she said it varies but a minimum of 80, so I think I picked a good number.  Speaking of numbers, nice shiny new avatar, Paul!

Day...........Plan..................................................................................................................................................................Actual

Monday.....Yoga & Recovery Ride.................................................................................................................................done-15.2 mi.

Tuesday....Lunch Ride, about 12 mi..........................................................done http://connect.garmin.com/activity/78835408 - 12.43 mi.

Wed..........Yoga & Group Ride, probably 21 mi.........................................done http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79085619 -  21.27 mi.

Thursday....Short Solo Ride, about 10 mi..................................................done http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79186452  - 10.11 mi.

Friday........Lunch Yoga or Massage.....................................................................................................massage done

Saturday....Group Ride, 22 mi..................................................................done http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79576293 - 24.22 mi.

Sunday.......Rest...................................................................................................................................................done

Total.........80 miles cycling and about 5,000 calories burned overall.....................................................................83.23 mi. & almost 5,000 calories

#5 of 9 Old 04-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 11

Thanks Heme.

I tend to agree with Hally, I don't think I have time to overtrain, undertraining is my big worry. However, I do think that I naturally cut back when physical or mental issues start piling up. Plan for the week is taper.

M - rest day

T - 7.5 miles

W - rest day

Th -  4.5 miles

F - ~3 miles

Sa - rest day

Su - ~2 miles

Total - ~20 miles

Paul

#6 of 9 Old 04-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12

My overtraining concerns aren't so much from increasing mileage, but not ever giving myself a break. When I always feel fatigued and find I'm getting a little (little?) bitchy I know it's time to back off. Just some easier runs or an extra rest day usually do the trick.

Monday: 2.6 miles elliptical and some abs stuff at lunch, 4.7 mile easy run after work, half mile walk

Tuesday: 2.7 miles elliptical and 20 minutes U/B weights, 5.52 miles with .5 mile repeats and .7 mile walk

Wednesday: 2.6 miles elliptical; 11.3 miles run @ 8:08 avg pace, .4 mile walk
Thursday: 2.8 miles elliptical, 5.7 miles run in the wind (!), .4 mile walk

Friday:1.5 mile walk at lunchtime with DH, otherwise it was a rest day.

Saturday: .9 mile w/u, 5k race, .6 mile c/d, then 6.1 miles @ 8:10 for 10.7 for the day, .4 mile walk c/d

Sunday: 18 hilly miles run, .25 mile walk c/d

Totals: 56 miles run, 10.7 miles on the elliptical, 4 miles walked and (only) 30 minutes weights/abs

#7 of 9 Old 04-12-2011, 01:39 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Given: 20

Guess I should post my plan, with a big cut back on expectations for this week.

Original................. Revised.................Actual

M............... 8 ......................... 6 ...................... 6.1

T................core ................... same .................. yup!

W.............. 8 ........................ 4-5 ..................... 4.4

T ................6 .......................easy XT ............. core etc

F ...............core .................. 2-3 easy............... 3.1

S .............. 29K race ............ 29K race ............19

S .............. rest................................................. Oh yea!

total:  32.6 miles

#8 of 9 Old 04-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12

No matter what I put, it's going to be TMI.   In fact just saying TMI is probably TMI. blush.gif

This week my training goal is to get outside with no shirt on often enough to build a base for running on the sands of North Myrtle Beach.  I'm about as white as a slice of Milbrook Bread.

Monday.........................4.5 miles

Tuesday........................4.5 miles including 4*400m Intervals

Wednesday...................0

Thursday.......................5.5 miles

Friday...........................Travel - may get in a few miles before leaving

Saturday.......................Travel

Sunday.........................Miles and miles of sand

#9 of 9 Old 04-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Special Member

Likes Given: 7

Thanks Heme... I'm Ms Consistent, eh? Well, more like Ms Hasn't-Taken-A-Cutback-Week-In-5-Weeks-Now. Your question about determining when you're overtraining is very timely for me. I've been feeling really tired and sluggish lately, more hungry than I need to be, and just generally pooped. I probably should've rested more substantially after my HM two weekends ago, but I was feeling good and strong right afterward, and had the 5k coming up as well.... so now I'm paying the price this week. The self-imposed obligation to run everyday is a very strong force for me. I have to force myself to remember than not running is a worthwhile activity as well.

day plan actual comments
Monday short run 4.2 miles, 1 mile walk errand-run, really sluggish
Tuesday yoga, track w/o yoga AM, 3.41 miles interval w/o in the pouring rain, no clue as to my paces
Wednesday rest/yoga yoga PM  
Thursday tempo w/o 3.2 mile walk, 5.3 miles tempo w/o 3x 10 min, 8:00 pace
Friday EZ run 6.16 miles 10:52 pace
Saturday rest/walk/yoga 4.95 miles, 1.35 mile walk  
Sunday 18 miles 12.37 miles AM, 6 miles PM, .5 mile walk  AM run was 2 loops of 6.5 & 5.87
totals ~30 42.39 miles, 2x yoga, 6.05 miles walking oops, so much for a cutback week

Please support me in the fight against breast cancer.

The journey is its own reward so I can't lose. -- jjj

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page