"Monday, Monday, Can't Trust That Day" - Aug 16 Master Workouts and Rest - KickRunners.com

#1 of 16 Old 08-16-2010, 06:25 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3zSV19AksQ

3 slow and easy miles, just testing out the parts.  No problems today.

I found out yesterday that my Mom has asthma and emphysema.  Second hand smoke I guess.  She's never smoked in her life.  But her mom and dad (and most of the rest of her family) smoked like chimneys for many years.

DD2 and family are coming later this week.  I need to get that (long unused) Baby Fence put up around the pool.  The boys will be making a beeline for it I'm sure!

I watched the PGA Championship yesterday.  I can't even imagine playing that course.  I'd shoot about 200.  Too bad about Dustin Johnson as I was rooting for him, but I'm really glad he didn't make that 6 footer on the 72nd hole.  That would have been brutal to go from the joy of winning to the reality of the 2-shot penalty.

Bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 08-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 15

hi breger; nice run, sorry to hear about your mom.

missed yesterday with a stomach virus; first day out in 6 weeks.  just felt crappy after saturday's workout, and crappy sunday... it was a draining experience.

so an exploratory hilly 3.5mi today in 8 flat pace.  thought i might poop out, but instead i felt full of beans.  maybe a day resting on the throne was a good idea afterall.

eta - saw the bodies exhibit here in tucson this weekend... it was very revealing.  i'd recommend it, controversy and all, if it comes to your neck of the woods.

#3 of 16 Old 08-16-2010, 07:45 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11

Wow, that's hard news to hear, billgh.

Hey everyone, want to gossip about other KR forums?  I snickered a bit when I peeked at Running Moms and Dads.  You know what their daily threads are called? 

Running Moms and Dads Monday

Running Moms and Dads Tuesday

etc. 

Isn't it already obvious that it is Running Moms and Dads day, if they are in the Running Moms and Dads' forum? 

emcee, I saw the exhibit in Portland a while back.  Was fascinated and properly grossed out by the first room, but it went on to have another room...hours and hours and miles and miles of it. 

#4 of 16 Old 08-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13

[[[[[[burger's mom]]]]]]]

I accidentally watched the PGA at a buddy's house Saturday

(the price of a Free Meal)

and

saw the LONGEST putt I think on The Tour....

not that I'm an expert on that

........poolrunning tonite if the storms hold off

--------------------
.....nothing takes the place of persistence.....
#5 of 16 Old 08-16-2010, 08:31 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 20
Likes Given: 7

Rest day today as the start of a cutback week. Trying very hard not to feel like a slacker about it. Will still attend yoga class tonight, though.

{{{Byll's mom}}}

Have a good day, all.

Please support me in the fight against breast cancer.

The journey is its own reward so I can't lose. -- jjj
#6 of 16 Old 08-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 3

Bill, from the short time I spent with your M&D, I can imagine your mom is more concerned about your reaction to the news than how it may affect her personally, as she is certainly grace (and good humour) under pressure.  I hope the environmental conditions around her can keep her as comfortable as possible.  I'm sorry to hear this and please pass along my best to both your M&D.

I had a great weekend away.  Ran over 3 hours on trails with names like Four Dead Aliens and The Meadery (yes, there's a distillery and meadery on this little island).  Swam.  Rode my bike.  Whooped it up a fair amount.  So much so I missed the first day of five of a yoga intensive.  Ooops, bruised the chi a bit, I guess.

Rest for me too.  Like nothing kind of rest, unless I ride my bike somewhere in this beautiful weather!

Awaiting the comeback of velour jumpsuit couture.
#7 of 16 Old 08-16-2010, 08:50 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0

Thanks everyone.  I will certainly do so SS - thanks.

Bill

#8 of 16 Old 08-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Special Member

I saw the Bodies exhibit several years ago too, and two things stood out to me: how small the human lung is, and how not one of the bodies had a plantar fascia left intact.  Only through the eyes of a runner...

I am going to run my sorry butt up the big nasty Terwilliger Hill this evening.  Supposed to be about 95°F by then.  At least there's a water fountain on top.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people."  Bill Bowerman

#9 of 16 Old 08-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Special Member

Likes Given: 2

Good morning.  I haven't seen the Bodies exhibit - it's quite expensive here in NY.  But I would like to see it someday.

I ran 2 miles this morning and then did abdominals for 15 minutes (and stretched too of course).  My hips are pretty sore this morning, so I iced when I got to work (sitting on a chair with icebags on both hips made my staff snicker) and took some vitamin I.  This is a bit discouraging, but hopefully the PT can make things better at my appt tomorrow.

Byll, I have asthma too as the result of second-hand smoke.  My dad was a 3 pack a day guy.  I have to use an inhaler before I do any sort of cardio workout, but at least it does help quite a bit.  My mom & I were talking about this recently and she said that when she was pregnant with me (1957), the doc told her she should smoke as it would calm her down.  Sigh.  She did quit a couple of years later, but my dad smoked until I was long out of the house.  My younger brother and sister have some mild asthma too, which is not surprising.  It's a good thing that people know better now, although I feel like smacking some of the young things I see puffing away around here sometimes!

Temper, temper!  Breathe deeply (as OM would say).  There.  I feel better now.

Susan

Running in memory of my Dad.
#10 of 16 Old 08-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 3

aww, Bill. I'm sorry to hear that news about your mom.

renee, renee, renee . . . you know, those creative RM&D's titles were probably the work of duckgeek.

nothing for me today. working, then need to run around to a few different stores to get items needed for my son's tackle football season. He's in football training camp this week each morning. and then starts evening practices with his football team on Wed night.

~Tammy~

#11 of 16 Old 08-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 14

Yoga was great except my coworker was supposed to get a ride and claimed I ditched her.  She wasn't around when it was time to leave.

Bill, sorry to hear that.  Labduck, I know that hill.  It's a good thing wj didn't make me run it.  Btw, that Orenco Station area of Hillsboro looks pretty cool.

Bike intervals after work!  Hope there's not many people out strolling at the park because I'll have to go Econo on them.

#12 of 16 Old 08-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Special Member

Hi all,

Bill - Sorry to hear about your mom.  I'm probably one of the lucky ones - my dad always smoked a pipe, but it doesn't seem to have effected my mom or any of my siblings or me. It certainly could have been different.

I ran intervals today so that I can run them again tomorrow, at a much slower pace, with my coworkers that I'm training.  It's a 1/2 marathon program, so it's probably a little bit of overkill for me and my two races this fall - a 15k and a 7.1 mile hilly road race - but it seems like it should be effective for those two distances (as well as the half for which it is designed).

1 mile warmup jog; then 1200m in 5:16 (7:00 pace), (400R), 800m in 3:29 (6:58 pace), (200R), 800m in 3:21 (6:42 pace), (200R), 4*200 in 49/43/42/47 with 1:30 200m jog recoveries; then 1 mile cool down.  Total of 5.125 miles. 

I also did my 15:00 of stretching and 5:00 of core work this morning after rolling out of bed.  I like the new routine.

Brian

#13 of 16 Old 08-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Special Member

Sorry about your mom, Byll. I thought of her when I pulled up to a stoplight today, and the woman in the next vehicle over was puffing away, with a couple of little kids strapped into seats in the back. All windows closed tight. Geez.

Sounds like a good plan, BTY. Going "overboard" for your races isn't a bad thing. I think a half marathon distance is a good one to train for... you're ready for almost anything with that training. Well, up to a half marathon, I guess. I'm always so impressed by you guys that train groups, like your coworkers. And Dove has her beginners group. And Tamster did that camp for the kids. That's so cool.

This is turning out to be a rest day. Which is fine, yesterday's run was kind of draining. But I do feel pretty good today. Sure took me a long time to rehydrate yesterday afternoon... We did break a record here for heat, which is kind of fun. Although it was awfully hot in the house last night... Old record was 86° and yesterday afternoon hit 91°. Hey, that's really hot for us Alaskans!

#14 of 16 Old 08-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 20
Likes Given: 20

Monday, Monday...sometimes it just works out that way!

Sorry about the news on your Mom, Bill.  Like BTY, I think I dodged a bullet in my household growing up as well, with Dad smoking mainly a pipe.

Hit the gym after work today for 20 min of elliptical w/u, then 40 minutes of various core/ab/glute/hamstring/calf work and a nice long stretch.  I think I need to hit up that hawt cyclist friend for the "Yoga for Athletes" CD he offered to lend me some time ago.  Seeing as the little bit I do seems to be helping, I really think that'd do me some good (and see if I like it enought to actually register in a class in Sept).

Tense situation at work these days.... we're looking at layoffs to be announced tomorrow morning, with the speculation of it costing anywhere between 100 and 200 jobs.  I know I'm not affected (yet), but many of my best friends are in the cross hairs.  Nobody will be sleeping well tonight.

But it could be worse... sent a sympathy card off to my training partner and family today after his mother passed away a week ago. She'd been in hospital and I knew she'd taken a turn for the worse, as Joe begged off the last race to spend more time with her.  When DH and I got home from the cottage, I found the obit in the paper... the funeral was 3 days after I'd left.  Sigh.

#15 of 16 Old 08-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Special Member

Byll, I'm really sorry to hear about your Mom. That second hand smoke is nasty, but who knew back then?!?

Speaking of Bill, Im sitting here pondering an excellent suggestion that he made over in the Weekly and something I'm considering: I'm heading to Las Vegas on Saturday for the E.T. Full Moon Midnight 51k. This trip was scheduled 6 months ago.... Way before the 12-hour event in my home town was even a glimmer of thought. Once the 12-hour showed up, well, I HAD to do it. Now Vegas is all about the trip and not the slightest about the race. Dropping down to the marathon, half or 10k are options, so is not running at all. The good thing is it is at midnight, so should cool down to the 70-80's and no sun.

Hanging at the spa, taking advantage of the good food and playing the slots is sounding like the best form of night training to me right now!
#16 of 16 Old 08-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Special Member

A nice comfy 97°F.  3.5 miles uphill; 3.5 miles down.  It felt pretty good going up, but after I turned around I got a nasty calf cramp.  I had to run three miles back to Niketown, nursing the cramp the entire way, to get there before they closed since my stuff was there.  I normally wouldn't do that, but I had no choice.  Now my calf is very tight.  I am going to have to rest it for a few days.  Tammy, can you pick up my VRAA points for a few days?

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people."  Bill Bowerman

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page