monday, bloody monday 2 august daily - KickRunners.com

#1 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 07:09 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 15
Likes Given: 0

6mi easy 8min pace.

off to bleed for the red cross... platelet donation day.

run and smile kick masters!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0

2.5 easy miles this morning as my Cutback week begins.  I'll be shooting for 35 or so this week.

I grew the weekly mileage nicely in July from about 30 up to 50 miles per week.  But the Long Runs have been challenging.  I can seem to manage 15 to 17 okay, but haven't been able to push above that (yet).  I don't really need to till later in August, so no problem.  But I'll try to hold the mileage at 50 per week and find a way to get those 18 to 22 milers in late in the month.

Bill

#3 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 5

The temps will be more to your liking soon enough for those long runs Bill.

Ran just under 82 mins this morning with some intervals thrown in for fun.

Welcome back relayers.

#4 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 2

Good morning all.  Yesterday I did a one hour spin to the early 60s music and the instructor said next Sunday's class will be late 60s & early 70s music.  I'll have to wear my peace symbol bandana to get in the groove.

This morning I did 2.5 miles and felt good, though tired.  I'm creeping ahead with progress, hooray!

I can't wait to read all the relay reports.

Enjoy your day, everyone.

Susan

Running in memory of my Dad.
#5 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 07:52 AM
Special Member

Trying to decide whether to do the VRAA; I do low mileage running but do a lot of XT.  So I wouldn't be able to contribute tons of points (no mega-badass for me) but at least I'm consistent.  Was a masters team established?

Susan

Running in memory of my Dad.
#6 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
I'm in Yachats, OR for the week with very bad cell service, so I hope this post works...

Happy Birthday Dove!!!

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people."  Bill Bowerman

#7 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13

(In my best Ricky Nelson voice) "Well hello Marilou, good-bye heart!"

Bill, I think my 20 was successful simply because I started out almost painfully slow.  Every good long run I have done started that way.  Then once you have your 20 in the bag, you can go back to inserting some faster pace into them, just never at the beginning.

I was sure surprised this morning.  Went out for 2.2 slow recovery miles, which went fine, but what was a surprise was that I had no stiffness or tiredness at all.  Of course this will catch up to me tomorrow.  Did a full flex and core workout at the Y afterwards, so I am now teed up for some speed on Wednesday.  Spareribs

#8 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Special Member

Well I probably went out too fast yesterday on my first of three planned 20 milers. Crashed and burned something awful. But I think general fatigue had more to do with it than speed. Too many late nights this week and weekend and trying to cram too much stuff into too little time. I spent most of Saturday (after an early haircut then a zippy 10.4 mile run) up on the hill in the berry patch. Over 4 hours of bending, stooping, squatting and hill crawling... oy. I could feel it in my back and quads and just had nothing for my run. S'ok though. I ran 9.4 before finding a wonderful patch of shaggy mane mushrooms. Never have I seen so many in such perfect condition! Picked a ton before DH came to rescue me.

Today I'm playing hooky from work so DH and I can go back up there and get more berries. Hmmm, is it considered playing hooky if I got permission from my boss? 

#9 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Special Member

Is anybody else singing "I found my thrill on blueberry hill"?  Just thinkin................

#10 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Special Member

Hey bleeding mc & cutback breger & fun ksrunr & creeping ahead riley'3 & good-enough cell service Labduck & teed-for-speed Ribs & crashed-and-burned-and-rescued-and-hooky-playing evanflein & singing ksrunr again & everyone else.

35' recovery run with Reggie

First rain in a month.

I ran around the mud, but

Reggie ran through it. : )

#11 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 20
Likes Given: 7

Byll, your cutback week is my big week.

Happy Birthday to Dove!!

Congrats to the relayers!

Susan, I think there's talk of a Master's team for VRAA for the round after this upcoming one... but you should play this round anyway. Should be fun regardless of how all the people are shuffled.

Someday I'd like to run a 20-miler, just because. But not today. Today I did my 5.5 mile route... and had negative splits! Taking that rest day yesterday was really the smartest thing, because the legs really felt raring to go today. My running partner wanted to measure yet another route she does (not the one I ran today), so we planned to meet at the parking lot after I finished my route. Since she's slower than me, running an additional 3.5 miles with her as a nice long cooldown worked great.

So all total, 9.25 miles today, the first 5.5 at an average pace of 9:49.

Yoga on tap for tonight (honest!). Have a great day, everyone.

Please support me in the fight against breast cancer.

The journey is its own reward so I can't lose. -- jjj
#12 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 11:33 AM

We returned on Sunday from a 'restful' vacation in the Berkshires which included hill running, cycling, swimming, mucho culture (museums, concerts, plays, dance), much socializing, good food and good drink to really rest from our exhaustion. After one rest day (Sunday) we headed out for long runs on the Charles this morning (10 for me and 12+ for Marj). Now we're catching up on errands and 'collapsing'. At least Marj returns to work for a real rest tomorrow while I continue my usual 'well paced'  life of retirement..

#13 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Special Member

Thank you for the birthday wishes. I'd love to say I don't feel any older, but that's not true. Yesterdays trail marathon was hard both in elevation and the fact that the trail had deep ruts, sharp rocks and lots of roots. My ankles are feeling like an old lady's today.

During yesterdays run there was a woman in my age group that stayed on my tail almost the whole day. She was pleasant enough and actually made for a nice day.... Until mile 19. She was just a few feet behind me when she tripped on a root and fell down a ravine. I stopped and helped her back on to the trail. She assured me she was ok, and told me to continue on. A mile later we hit a 1/2 mile out and back (1 mile total) that included a steep climb. She vanished once we turned onto that trail. I knew she cut the course. I was a bit steamed, but thought maybe she was hurt and decided to get back as quickly as possible. At the finish I found out she finished 10 minutes ahead of me, claimed the AG 3 prize and left. Grrrr....... I didn't file a protest, not really a big enough deal to worry about that but I hope she realizes the real loser is herself for cheating.

#14 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Special Member

..........Happy B'Day dove//...........you can trip her next year

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

...and yell ''HAPPY BIRTHDAY''..........

--------------------
.....nothing takes the place of persistence.....
#15 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 04:08 PM

Likes Earned: 15

She's got to live with being a bad sportsman Dove. Happy Birthday again too.

15 miles at Mom's before I left for home. On the bike of course.

VRAA is not about doing the most, its' about estimating what kind of ass you are and then contributing to the best of your ability and encouraging your team mates. Maybe next round for a Master's team.

I for one could use the motivation to keep my cross training up so I am in after a long period of abstinence.

No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch

"It's totally okay for you to be less of an ass than you thought you were" Big Gahoona
#16 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Special Member

Dove you are the winner for sure.  But is there a chance she just missed a turn?   I think ultra runners for the most part have been pretty good people.

#17 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrunr View Post

Dove you are the winner for sure.  But is there a chance she just missed a turn?   I think ultra runners for the most part have been pretty good people.

Not likely, but I will give her the benefit of the doubt next time we race together. If she does it again, then I'll get mad.

#18 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Dove - Happy Birthday!  Maybe the lady missed a turn or something . . . I really can't imagine wanting to cheat, I'd rather walk or dnf . . .

Nice running-a-round-the-mud MB.

8.1 miles this morning before work!

Wonder how many berries Erika actually picked today . . .

#19 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Special Member

Likes Given: 1

Happy Birthday Dove!!

Jeez, I did my trail run all wrong.  I thought you were supposed to run extra.

After a 1:43:30 bike ride yesterday, I did a hard 50 minutes on the eliptical this evening.   I went race effort the last 4 or 5 minutes. 

#20 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Special Member

Likes Given: 3

Happy Birthday Dove!

I'd certainly be suspicious of how that woman finished 10 min ahead of you also, but like you said, if she did cheat, then she is the one that will have that on her conscious. You know you ran a clean race, but I do empathize with that feeling in your gut that it wasn't a clean win on her part.

I haven't had a chance to add to the CLR collective report yet, but sure am enjoying reading what my vanmates/teammates are contributing. I'm the winner of best hygiene eh? hmmm, interesting, considering I passed on the showers available at the overnighter and by the smell of my dirty clothes bag when I got home, I question that honor. But I guess that "dry shampoo" I tried out worked well for earning the recognition of best race hair.

Today was a catch up day at home. Laundry, grocery shopping, some cleaning, and yes . . .  even bean picking. Will be glad when I get to talk about tomato picking instead. and I know you all are looking forward to that also . . .

~Tammy~

#21 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 20
Likes Given: 20

Happy Birthday, Dove!  You are one gracious competitor!

Running up the Wonky Cake.jpg

Lots of great runs over the last couple of days!  Am looking forward to more pics from the relay.  Wish I could have been there!

Had the day off for a civic holiday weekend so did 4 easy trail miles thru the poison ivy today.  Feelin' greta!!!

ETA:  picked a big bunch of beans here today too, Tamster!  My tomatoes are a long way from ripening, but the cucumbers are coming along well and the zucchini are taking over the world!!!

#22 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Special Member

Any way to get her email address or home address? And then a gracious note that says,

"Hey, what exactly happened out there? I helped you up, thought we were fellow competitors, but at that out and back turn you disappeared and finished ten minutes ahead of me.  I can understand your wanting to get back in if you were in difficulty, but it affected the results and cost me a place in the standings. I know you didn't mean for this to happen.  Can you contact the RD and straighten it out?  I know you would want to fix this if you knew how it affected the results.  Thanks so much.  You ran a great race.  etc."

#23 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 16

4 miles at 7:40....legs a still bit wobbly

#24 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 14

Happy Birthday, Dove!!!

10k easy on the Portland waterfront this morning before catching Max to PDX (the light rail to the airport).  I could live in that town.  Duh.  As winejuky suggested, I ran over the Hawthorne bridge and back on the Morrison bridge.  I seem to recall a fun run there right before Eugene last year.

My heel really hurts but it was worth it.  I'll try to post to the relay thread tomorrow.

#25 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Special Member

Heme - cool cake

Dove - that really sucks but sounds like you ran well and won

Signed up for the VRAA, late but I have signed up.

I'm the top dog in the office this week which is cool but they expect me to work more !!!!

Training wise

Running a bit riding a bit more. Having FUN :¬)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page