Hi Kicksters! - KickRunners.com

#1 of 5 Old 07-18-2010, 07:19 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0

I have been pretty busy the last couple of weeks.  My Dad came up from Oklahoma to see me.  Had to take him and his wife Marge all over the place...View the Bitterroot, Glacier Nat'l park, Yellowstone and Teton Nat'l parks.  A picture of myself, dad and marge...Terri is the photographer.  Dad is 83 now and he looks pretty good don't you think?

IMG_3643.JPG

This is taken at the Coffee Cup in Hamilton.  Sort of a family style dinning.  I plan to add some photo's and more stories on this post.  Still havn't had a smoke.  Below is Terri and myself.

100_0169.JPG

Roy

IMG_1436.JPG

Good Runs All
Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 07-18-2010, 10:28 PM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

This is the wrong time of the year to visit the Nat'l parks.  There are too many people, too much traffic and unless there is a recent rainfall, it is unlikely that you will see much wildlife.  A good example was the number of people pulled over to view a hawk.  In the past my visits were in June and September, a little cool but not as crowded and there is alot of wildlife to view. 

It has been several years since I have visited Yellowstone and was quite surprised by the new growth of trees, already about 8 feet in height.  I was very unhappy when we had all the fires up there and I questioned the wisdom of letting it burn, but after seeing the recovery so far, it was a good idea.  New trees without disease. 

IMG_1754.JPG

Yellowstone Falls...My favorite in this park.

I had kind of a scare in the park.  After visiting the falls we went to Canyon Village to have dinner.  It was starting to get dark and too the south the sky was black and the air full of ash.  Fortunately this fire was in Idaho and a small contained fire within the park.  It had turned dark as we headed for west yellowstone.  There was a road closure between us and Madison, we were late by 5 minutes but the ranger explained that we would have to drive around thru Yellowstone lake area...an extra 45 or so miles.  After we had gotten turned around and on our way, a car pulled up close behind us and I slowed a bit to let him pass.  He slowed, and for some reason in the way he was tracking me it almost appeared evil.  He stayed as close to me as he could get and would not pass.  I pulled off at the first oppertunity to allow him to pass.  He went down the road a bit and his lights went out.  After driving another few miles, this car reappeared and began tail gaiting me following my ever movement.  I passed another car and he dissappeared again.  Then after awhile this guy reappears on my tail.  So I attempted to pass another car but as was passing there was a curve, this nut was still on my tail.  I was not quite commited to complete the pass and was able to pull in behind the car I was passing.  I tried passing again, I wanted to back out of the pass because of the curve, but I was commited.  This jerk is right on my tail and tries to cut me off, forcing me into oncoming traffic.  Fortunately I had a little more power and I was able to get around him, This was a very close call as oncoming traffic was just seconds after my pass.  I got down the road a bit and pulled off, and he went on.  Then he began doing this to the car in front of him.  Soon I noticed a ranger car on the side with his flashers on and it was about this time that the jerk flipped a u turn.  I approached the ranger vehicle went around it and the patrol flipped a u turn appearantly going after the driver the was harrasing the other drivers.  Never had anything like that happen to me and it left me wondering what would motivate someone to do such a thing.

tetons.jpg

The Tetons

Good Runs All
Larry
#3 of 5 Old 07-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Larry, holy cow what was this driver doing? Thank goodness you had your wits about you and knew how to handle the situation. I hope the ranger was able to stop him.

The photos are great. Your dad looks great - as do you. Good job on the no smoking! Keep it up!!!!

#4 of 5 Old 07-21-2010, 05:46 AM - Thead Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks seemomgo,  I don't know what was wrong with that driver.  Tried to think if perhaps, I failed to yield or cut this person off prior to this incident.

Good Runs All
Larry
#5 of 5 Old 07-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 3

that was a scary encounter Larry! Glad you were okay throughout that all.

great pics of a lovely area! and yes, your dad looks great!

congrats on no smoking - keep it up!

~Tammy~

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page