Your Fave Running Book ... Jan. 18 thru 24 - KickRunners.com

#1 of 32 Old 01-17-2010, 07:38 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
For me this one is easy. I just finished up the book "Born to Run". It is really an amazing read. I was surprised to see it was really several stories in one.

A story of the Running Indian tribes in Mexico
A story of several well-known Ultra runners
A story of running Barefoot (or nearly) so and how running shoes cause injury
A story of how we evolved to be a marathon running species (really!)
A story of diet and nutrition
An amazing ultra race in the canyons of Mexico between the Indians and Ultra speedsters.

Each of them inspiring and well -written. If you haven't read it, do yourself a favor and get it. You will not be disappointed.

What about you? What is your favorite running book? Is it a coaching/training book? Does it describe some event or race in history? Is it fiction? Let us know.

Recap from Last week

Better than Yesterday - 6 miles - for the week, the month, and the year! You have to start somewhere and this is a good start.

breger1 - 43.8 miles - I'm proud that I started running when I was already an "Old Guy".

CassadAAmius - 44 miles run, 8250y swim, 30 min spin - is most proud of his running longevity and his 4:56 mile at 44 YO. I'd say so!

Choovie - 15 miles, XC skiing, yoga, and weights - helped her DH start running and he got fit and healthy. Love It! (He does too I'm sure.)

CNYrunner - 60.9 miles - that was one sweet LR on Sunday. (See we pay attention!)

Dove - 21 miles running, 150 pushups, and weights - she is blessed with a fast-recovering body. Nice to have as a marathon and ultra-athlete!

Econo - 33.7 miles - is most proud of "luring" the Econo-clan-members into running. Also proud of her triathlons. You are a marvel.

Evanflein - 9 miles run, 1 hr 40 min. pool running, 16.7 miles elliptical, 5 km rowing machine, 1 hr 35 min weights, 2.2 miles walking - It's a good thing copy/paste works. She's most proud of her Equinox efforts. If anyone's seen that hilly profile you can understand why!

Fortunate One - 52 miles - proud of his 2 great kids and his BQ. I'd be proud of that 35 mile training run on Sunday. Wow!

GGPRunner - waiting for totals

goofyguy1958 - 30.55 miles - is proud of his 50 pound weight loss and that he coaches the next generation of runners. Giving Back!

hally - 5.2 miles, 3 elliptical, and weights - Ditto for Hally what I wrote for janie ...

janie b good - 10.9 miles - you're not proud of yourself, but only pleased? Think again Proud Janie.

jjchaney - 72 miles - Proud of his Girl's XC team. Good job Coach! There's no better thing we can do than help the next generation along positively.

JJJessee - 55.5 miles and 93 mins core - the "Proud" post award of the week! To be proud of a DNF because it gives you a limit to work towards exceeding is "Positive-Attitude-plus".

ksrunr - Don't be a stranger!

McSolar - target was 48 miles - You should be rightly proud of your sub-3 marathon. You put in a few attempts and kept training right. Persistence!

Opie - 52 miles - "stick-to-it-iveness". That's what makes you a good marathoner. You are going to be a Great Pacer.

OrangeMat - 13.65 miles, 1 yoga - there is no "right" body type for a runner. We've all done races and have been amazed by some of the "shapes" that go flying by us.

Patrick - 11.81 miles - most proud of his 5K and Marathon PR's. Yep. We would be proud of those too!

Paul - 45.1 miles and 98 pushups - I don't think I could 98 in a month let alone a week!

Pie Jones - 31 miles - is most proud that he keeps getting out there, day after day, race after race, mile after mile. That is what it's all about.

rinvanracer - 64.56 miles with 2 races - is most proud of his HS record 9:55 2 miler. Wow, that's sweet!

Sans Souci - M.I.A. but was sighted in AZ running a sweet 3:20 marathon. Come Back!

SkipAZ - 38 miles - Got sick but it was a cutback week anyway. Good timing that! (Good job by your DS by the way! Swift!)

Tamster - 21.4 miles - is proud she can spell my name right. It's the little things that matter the most. ("Ch---y"? I think Not.)

wilder - Waiting for Totals

Here's my training plans for this week:

Monday - 5 miles fartlek; including 8 x 30 seconds at 5k (jog 30 seconds recovery) .... 5 miles with the 8 striders
Tuesday - 8 miles; including 2.5 miles at half-marathon pace (7:59) .... 8.2 miles with 2.5 miles tempo (7:57, 7:52, 7:52)
Wednesday - 5 miles slow .... 4 miles at 10:00 min/mile pace
Thursday - 8 miles; including 16 x 1 minute at 8k race effort (jog 1 minute recovery) ... 8.2 miles The fast parts were mainly run at 7:15 pace. 18 is a bunch of repeats!
Friday - 4 to 5 miles slow .... 4.5 miles at a slow 10:06 pace
Saturday - 13 miles easy .... 13.3 miles at 8:55. Where is the "easy" speed coming from? Avg. HR only 139
Sunday - Rest .... 2.5 miles at 10:24 min/mile pace

43.8 planned for the week ... 45.7 miles total

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 01-17-2010, 08:14 PM

Thanks for starting the thread Bill!

I've honestly never read a running themed book of any kind. Maybe i need to visit the library...

Sat: 3.65 miles in sideways rain
Sun: 3.68 miles in pouring rain

TOTAL: 7.33 miles running
#3 of 32 Old 01-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for getting us started again Bill.

M
T
W...........3.1 run, some walking some at 15% . . . it is hard
T
F
S............4 sick all week. . . feeling better today
S............. feeling not better today

TOT?.......7.1

#4 of 32 Old 01-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Bill! Another great job with the thread and the question.

My favorite running themed book is Marathon Woman by Kathrine Switzer. It's a favorite for sentimental reasons-----sharing Syracuse, NY, knowing the author, and just cheering for a hard fought battle so that women could finally run the marathon at the Olympics in 1984.
I Remember Running by Darcy Wakefield is a close second and still makes me cry.

Bringing up the miles again and working on pace

M-----6 recovery pace/core and weights----6.6 and core/weights
T-----8 with striders in the last mile------8 with striders
W----12 with miles 5-9 @7:30/core and weights-----3.5 stomach bug miles--Thank goodness the Kiddo came with me
Th----8 easy-----6.6 easy---stomach queasy, but feeling a bit better
F------6-8 @ 8:00 pace/core---8 on the road and trying not to relapse
S-----4-6 easy with a few strides----12 easy and queasy
Su----20----21 only because I had to get back somehow----dealing with life crap----very cranky now/had to pull out of race too

68-70 if all systems are working----all systems not working---whatever
65.6 Good riddance to the week
#5 of 32 Old 01-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Born to Run is my absolute favorite -- such a terrific mix of crazy, real-life characters and adventure. I've read it and also listened to it on audio CD. I also enjoyed Marathon Woman. I got to meet Kathrine Switzer when she came to town for our Women's Run a couple of years ago. What a wonderful person; I was most impressed by her.

Mon [nope]
Tues [nope]
Wed [PT workout + 40 min elliptical]
Thur [nope]
Fri [3 miles + weights/core DONE]
Sat [5 miles + weights/core DONE]
Sun [yoga + a tad bit of xc skiing DONE]

Totals = 8 miles + miscellaneous.

Terrible mileage for the week but not much I could do about it. Onward and upward.

You want weapons? We're in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!
-- Doctor Who
My Blog
#6 of 32 Old 01-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Uh, not to sound provincial or anything, but I loved Bowerman and the Men of Oregon, by Kenny Moore. Beautifully written biography of a great running coach.

Mon: 4.1 SEP..................ate 3 oranges, stretched, didn't swear.
Tue: 12.8 (7MP)..............ate 3 oranges, but ate too much chocolate, didn't swear
Wed: rest day.................ate 3 oranges, core & stretched, graded papers, didn't swear
Thu: 4.2 speed...............swore when I saw how slow my first 800m was , graded exams day & night
Fri: 2 mile runling............ate pineapple, finished grading, core & stretched
Sat: 4.3 easy & floaty + 4.8 hasher run.....ate pineapple, said the "p" word
Sun: rested....................ate pineapple, napped, recovered, didn't swear.

Total: 32.2
#7 of 32 Old 01-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Special Member

Thanks for the thread again this week Boston Byll.

Favorite read is usually the last one, so I'll go with "Running Through the Wall" by Neal Jamison. I love reading race reports from trail and adventure races, so this type of book is right down my alley. It includes 39 personal stories from ultra runners, with plenty of tips and insight into that arena.

................planned........................... ..............reality......................

M...............14................................ ..............9.5....................
T..................8.............................. ................8
W................Rest............................. ...........zilch
R..................5.............................. ..................3.5
F...................4............................. ...................3
S................10M race...12 total.........................12
S.................by feel.......................................rainout

Total: 36 miles
#8 of 32 Old 01-17-2010, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Byll! I have read a number of good running related books but far and away my fav is John Parker's Once A Runner. I often reread it during pre-race taper and find inspiration every time.

My schedule is a bit ambitious considering my current level of fitness but I'll do what I can:

Planned / Actual
M: ER-6 / ER-6
T: ER-6 / mLR-14 with fast finish 5K
W: mLR-12 / ER-4 + XT 30 min on Stair Mill, 192 floors
T: ER-3 + XT / TR-8, a PBJ Special
F: ER-8 / ER-4
S: ER-4 / LR-7 brutal hours, a measly 31.63 miles
S: LR-7hrs / RR-4.77, way too fast for a recovery run

Total:
79 Planned / 72.4 miles Actual

Recap: Obviously the schedule got shifted up a day. Not the mileage I hoped nor the performance needed on the long run. Perhaps the speed work contributed to the poor performance on Saturday. I am sure the lack of sleep did. Race is nine weeks out.
#9 of 32 Old 01-18-2010, 12:32 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 14
Fave non-training book: George Sheehan, On Running To Win. He had a way with words and was quite the runner. Fave training book: Brad Hudson, Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon.

This week will bring some rest and two more chances for race-pace running, one with a bib #.
eta-Thanks, Bill. For now I'll focus on being a good half marathon racer, then a marathon pacer.

Day.............Plan.............................. .......................................Actual
Monday MLK...rest & dream............................................. done-walked Honeybee around the block
Tuesday.......Easy Run 5 mi................................................ .....done-4.97 mi.
Wednesday...Threshold Run:
2 mi. easy, 4 [email protected] HMP, 2 mi. easy....mostly done, like "mostly dead," The Princess Bride-6 mi.
Thursday......Easy Run 4 mi................................................ ......done-4.02 mi.
Friday..........Easy Run 4 mi. + 4x100m strides, lunch yoga..............done-4.07 mi.
Saturday......rest & drive to Austin, start reading Born to Run..........done-walked 5.3 mi.
[email protected] HMP+cooldown................................done-15.31

Total...........37-39 mi................................................ ...............34.36 mi.
#10 of 32 Old 01-18-2010, 01:19 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Ok, I'll admit it. I don't read many running books. Really. If I have time to read a book, I'll read a Dan Brown novel or something like that. I have read The Extra Mile by Pam Reed, and while I don't think writing is her talent, I did find it interesting how she approaches those incredible distances.

I hope to start running for real this week, probably an every-other-day thing at first. But I've got to get back on schedule (or close to it) pretty soon if I want to have any sort of experience at Boston, besides pedestrian.

Monday: 32 minutes (3.5 miles) elliptical
Tuesday: 4 miles (8:52 avg) run, .7 mile walked
Wednesday: 10 minutes (1.08 mile) elliptical, 35 minutes U/B weights at lunchtime; 7 miles run and .68 mile walked on the treadmill in the evening
Thursday: 4 miles run with some random intervals thrown in, .5 mile walk
Friday: 4 miles with random intervals (8:45 avg pace), .5 mile walk
Friday: 22 minutes (2.57 miles) elliptical, 25 minutes weights
Sunday:10.5 miles, 8:41 avg pace (too fast) in temps about 1°F, .33 mile walk after

Totals: 32.8 miles run (longest in a long time), 7.2 miles elliptical, 2.7 miles walking, 1 hour weights

Yes, FO, I'm listening. It's on my list at Amazon!
#11 of 32 Old 01-18-2010, 01:39 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 1
I have got to second (third?) the motion for Born to Run. The guy can write! Most chapters end with a teaser that just makes you want to keep reading. Especially good for trail runners and ultramarathoners (are you listening, Erika?). The characters come alive, and you can find most of them on the internet afterwards for interesting follow-up. My fave is Jenn Shelton. What a party animal, and what a runner.

Taper time:

M: rest
T: volleyball, 3 M easy on TM
W: 5 M on TM with 2 @ tempo pace
T: rest
F: 6 M
S: 15 M on TM
S: 6 M on TM and one outside sans shirt (25F and windy; it'been hard to fit in my shirtless run this month)

Total: 35 M
#12 of 32 Old 01-18-2010, 03:11 AM

Likes Earned: 15
Likes Given: 2
Thanks Bqyyl!
The only running themed book I have read is The Other Shulman. Fun book, not really what you had in mind I think though.

Monday=ran 2.2
Tuesday=ran 2
Wednesday=elliptical 30 min
Thursday=weights 15 min
Friday=ran 2
Saturday=Hiked 5 moderately hilly miles
Sunday=ran 2.6 weights 30 min

Totals
ran 8.8
Elliptical once
weights twice
hiked 5 miles

No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch

"It's totally okay for you to be less of an ass than you thought you were" Big Gahoona
#13 of 32 Old 01-18-2010, 03:22 AM
Special Member

Another vote for Born to Run. If anyone on here follows the Ultrarunners list, a lot of the characters in the book post to that list, so it's kind of fun to read about them.

No plans for the week other than to run 3 mils a day minimum and get my pushups done.

Monday: 6 miles on the track, weights, 1 mile walk
Tuesday: 3 miles, 63 girly pushups
Wednesday: 5 miles at MP, 3 miles walking
Thursday: 3 miles of hills, 72 girly pushups, 2 miles walking
Friday: 3 easy miles
Saturday: 31 hilly, mucky trail miles
Sunday: 3 recovery miles and 80 girly pushups

Totals: 54 miles of running, 6 miles of walking, 15 pushups and 1 weight session
#14 of 32 Old 01-18-2010, 04:46 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 1
Thanks Byll

My favorite running book is "Staying the Course" by Dick Beardsley. I knew his story about getting hooked on painkillers and that is why I refused to get the prescription for vicodin when I had my accident.

This week is a little recovery from my half marathon to start and a 10 mile race to finish.

Sun-6.34 miles (7:37 pace)
mon-am hour easy 7.28 miles
.......pm hour easy 7.74 miles
tue-9 miles 68:35
wed-7.18 miles 60:00
thu-10 miles 75:00
fri-off
sat-3 warmup, 10 mile race (63:25) 2.5 mile cooldown
15.5 total

Total miles for the week 63.06
#15 of 32 Old 01-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Special Member

Thanks BQlygger. Another hugh fan of "Once a Runner". I've got large portions committed to memory. No one has captured the feeling of racing quite like that, and the chapter on "The Interval Workout" never fails to tie my stomach in knots. (The sequel, "Again to Carthage", on the other hand, was a major disappointment.) I also really enjoyed "Bowerman and the Men of Oregon". I'll have to check out "Born to Run"!

Hoping for around 40 good miles this week with the usual swimming and a bit of spinning thrown in.

M -- 2000y swim
Tu -- 30 min spin, 2 EZ run @ 8:08
W -- 8 progression, 8:13 -> 6:35, overall 7:25 average
Th -- 3500y swim
Fr -- 11 with first 4 @ 8:04, last 7 @ 7:14
Sa -- 4 EZ @ 8:20
Su -- 15 with 6 @ "MP", 6:58 avg.

Totals: 40 run @ 7:42 avg., 5500y swim, 30 min spin.

Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must persevere and above all have confidence in our selves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained. --Marie Curie
#16 of 32 Old 01-18-2010, 10:05 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

A second great book I've read is "Duel in the Sun" about the classic Boston Marathon race between Alberto Salazar and Dick Beardsley. A race that was so fast, hard, and intense that neither one of them ever raced as well after that one.

Bill
#17 of 32 Old 01-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Special Member

Likes Given: 1
Thanks B!ll, good question.
I very much enjoyed Feet in the Clouds: A Story of Fell Running and Obsession and also Running with Buffaloes
Haven't read Born to Run yet, I need to get on that.

........planned.........but did..............
M.......4............nixed this one
T......14...........29 min core...........4.4 @ M+:45 AM + 13.8 @ M+:30PM
W.......4...........0
T........0..........31 min core..........4.5 AM + 5.88 PM
F.......12
...........30 min core...........4.5M AM -decided against evening run
S.......18..................................12.05 sloggen miles at Grayson Highlands
S........4
...........14 min core..........19.8 of hills

JJJ...............1 hr 44 min core.............64.88 (sounds like a lot but there were some short easy doubles and a particular trailrun that had lots of non-running miles mixed in)
#18 of 32 Old 01-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 16
I have never read a running book, unless you count the one time back in either grade school or HS when I read a copy of a running book that my dad bought. I don't even remember the title now.

Here is this weeks plan:

Monday - 7
Tuesday - 6
Wednesday - 6
Thursday - 5
Friday - 7

Now I need to go make a list of all the running books you guys have read and see if my library has any of them.
#19 of 32 Old 01-18-2010, 04:39 PM

Thanks Byl,

I have read a women's running book, but do like this one that I read last year called Running with Angels by Pam Hanen. It's a personal account of her loss as a young mother...and her journey from obesity to crossing a marathon finish line.

I'm starting to back on track with working out, but still not much running. The sun melted the ice off the roads a bit, so I did run around the lake yesterday with Bandit.

It's good to be back and see all the familar faces!

This week schedule is:
Mon - Intro to Lap Swimming (1 hour) --- done
Tuesday - Pilates (45 Min.); Step Aerobics (45 minutes) --- done
Wednesday - Intro to Lap Swimming (1 hour) --- done
Thursday - Beginning Spinning (1 hour) --- done
Friday - Pilates (45 Min.); Maybe a short run after that --- not done (out to dinner with DH instead)
Saturday - Spinning class; maybe run around the lake with Bandit (5 M) - --- 1 mile, but no spinning
Sunday - Run around the lake with Bandit - --- 1 mile and gave Bandit a bath.

Totals: 2 hours swim class; 1:30 hour pilates/step; 1 hour spinning; 2 miles running
#20 of 32 Old 01-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 3
Thank you Bill for the weekly thread and the question. I'm enjoying the responses.
I've read a few running books but most were geared towards training. I have Yasso's book on my nighttable right now but haven't started it. I did start reading a borrowed copy of Pam Reed's The Extra Mile a few wks back and quit about half way through. While it was interesting, I just found that she was quite egocentric and it really turned me off to her. I also have Once A Runner, but haven't started that yet either.

El Nino is supposed to hit us and hit us hard this week so who knows how the week will play out. I'd like to aim for about 20 miles this week though.

mon: ..... 2.3 miles
tue: ...... 4 miles
wed: ..... rest
thur: ..... rest
fri: ....... rest
sat: ...... 10.5 miles
sun: ...... 0

miles ran: 16.8

~Tammy~

#21 of 32 Old 01-18-2010, 05:04 PM

A super easy read but interesting is 26 Miles to Boston. I like the way each chapter describes the race history and interesting course facts for each particular mile segment of the race.

Mon: 8 easy
Tue: 2 miles easy + 3 x 1 mile repeats + 3 x 1000 meters repeats + 2 miles easy
Wed: 13 group run
Thu: 6 miles easy
Fri: 10 miles
Sat: 2 miles easy + 4 miles tempo + 10 miles easy + 4 miles tempo + 2 miles easy
Sun: 12 miles
Got 75 miles in for the week
#22 of 32 Old 01-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 15
thanks for the thread breger1! only 33mi for me last week, with a 40mi bike ride too.

i like running with buffalos, and every single george sheehan book i've read. my favorite though is still "running within".

m: ?? / 7.5mi hard hilly sabino 7:08 pace
t: 6mi w/6x800m 3:00 (1min rest) / 6 ez 8:00
w: 3mi ez / 4.5 w/ 6x400m 1:21 avg (60sec rest)
t: 6mi ez / 3 ez 8:15
f: 8mi ez / 0
s: 0 / 3 treadmill 8:15
s: 10mi with "sun run 10k" race (39-something) / 10.5mi w/39:48 10k

target: 40mi / total: 34.5mi
#23 of 32 Old 01-19-2010, 12:02 AM

Just finished Born to Run, a very good read. I also liked The Perfect Mile, Roger Bannister's 4 minute mile story.

LW

Monday= 3mi
Tuesday= 6mi
Wednesday= 7.2mi
Thursday= 6.2mi
Friday= 8.3mi
Saturday= 14mi
Sunday= 0.0
Total Week 42.7

Rest Day today.
#24 of 32 Old 01-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 20
Likes Given: 7
I own Chi Running and The Complete Book of Running for Women, neither of which I've read. I've been hearing so much about Born to Run from several of my yoga friends who run, so I'm quite intrigued. I just requested the audiobook version of it from my library, since I've been looking for a new book to listen to as I run, so how's that for optimizing my efforts?

Thanks again Byll for your summaries and this thread. This week started with a travel day home, so it's a catch-up week of sorts. Though I was quite happy that I got to run twice over the weekend while in Arizona. Hopefully I'll get around 20 miles in this week, but as usual, no pressure on the numbers.

Mon.... travel
Tues... 5.5 miles
Wed... 6.25 miles
Thur... rest
Fri...... 3 miles
Sat..... rest
Sun.... 7.5 miles

totals: 22.25 miles

Please support me in the fight against breast cancer.

The journey is its own reward so I can't lose. -- jjj
#25 of 32 Old 01-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Personal Record by Rachel Toor is my favorite thus far, but I also just started reading Life at these speeds by Jeremy Jackson.

Today I'm going to shuffle around the condo complex with DH, if the predicted heavy rain holds off.

Susan

Running in memory of my Dad.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page