Tuesday 3/24/09 - Does anything exciting ever happen on a Tuesday? - KickRunners.com

#1 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 09:16 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 0
Morning all

Weather is dull as **** here today.

Questions for the locals

Has anyone here ever done the Steamboat Marathon?
Has anyone ever done this http://www.handsonhouserace.org/ ?

My other half and I are looking at coming over for the BluesCruise 50km again and the half is the day before and the marathon a week later. 3 races would really make the trip worthwhile.

Gives you a clue that I expect to be running well again sooner rather than later.

That said today Captain Sensible is mostly cycling with a very easy 2 miles this evening.

Best wishes

Gobi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 0
I'm feeling good after yesterday's long run, but now have a bit of a cold to shake off.

So, no running today, but here’s one of my runs from last week: Out of the hotel (arrow) to the Rue de Rivoli; along that street, then cut across in front of the Louvre to the river; along the quai past the Louvre, then across Pont Neuf to the Ile de la Cite; left along the river, then right and past the entrance to Sainte Chapelle, left to make a loop through the courtyard of Notre Dame; across the Petit Pont to Rive Gauche and the Latin Quarter; back along the other side of the river to Pont du Carrousel and the Louvre again; then a short run through the Tuileries gardens, past statues of gods and goddesses (Greco-Roman, not Boomer!) and back to the hotel before starting another day with my DW of many miles of walking, museum visits, and sightseeing.

Life is good... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

-- Runnin' in Rochester, Mich
#3 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Special Member

Gobi, Aamos ran the Steamboat Marathon last year. I suspect she does not have fond memories of it though. Her DH had some medical issues there.

Wahhhh, I wanna run with Roch!

Today would normally be Intervals day, but coming so soon after my "spirited" 20 miler on Sunday, discretion told me to forego that and just run easy. The legs are feeling a little bit tired, though aerobically things could not be much better.

So I went out for 10.1 miles in 1:28 for an 8:41 average. 4 or 5 mile were at MP or slightly below, but the winds had me settled in to just over MP for most of the run.

There were a good number of comments yesterday about the "Brain Training for Runners" book. Last summer when I was trying to figure out what training plan to change to, that book and the "Run Less, Run faster" book were my final two choices.

What really appealed to me about both of these books was their premise that you need to train your mind and body to run at MP or faster. For me at least, Eugene showed me that MP won't just happen (for 26.2 miles) if I've been running most of my LR's at MP+10%. The FIRST book had a bit more emphasis on weekly speedwork and tempo runs, as well as much cross-training. So I chose it as I also felt the need to get a little faster and a lot stronger.

Don't get me wrong, the Pfitz program has MP runs sprinkled throughout the program especially the last month before taper. But for me, I like the idea of running many miles at or very near MP. I need to feel comfortable and confident that MP is very nearly my easy pace. Today's run is an example of running MP on a day where I was just letting it happen.

Your mileage may vary. (Pun definitely intended.)

Bill

#4 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Special Member

today pickles told me
she didn't think she could
walk from the Finish Line back to the hotel.

she'd just wait for me in the room.

it was incredibily sad.
======

I went for a run,
but it didn't help.

ps....sorry for being A Bummer, sometimes it just helps to Vent

--------------------
.....nothing takes the place of persistence.....
#5 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Good morning guys,

Nice run Bill.
Doug, retired life seems to be agreeing with you smile.gif

10.52 miles of hills @ 9:05 pace....on track for a monthly mileage PR.
DW & I are celebrating our 24th year anniversary today...time really flies.

Good runs to everyone today.
#6 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Special Member

{{{TomWhite and Pickles}}}

Bill
#7 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Not sure about Tuesday excitement gobi. They always serve pizza on Tuesdays at my son's school and he was excited about that? Doesn't take as much when you are 12.

7 miles with a triathlete friend at 5:15 a.m. under starry skies, 16º, and a few rude wind gusts. Said friend tried to convince me to throw in a 15-minute tempo segment at 7:15 pace, but I said No Way and told him to go ahead and then double back for me. I must confess I was sorely tempted and probably held back more from fear of falling into a pothole at the zero dark hour of the morning. All felt fine and we held it at 8:15 pace overall.

The break-in at your place just stinks Robin. I hope everything is all recoded now. It wasn’t a girl thing as far as your lack of notice, you were just focused on your workout.

So sorry Tom White---hugs to you and Pickles.
I want to run with rochrunner too!
Good post Bill. I am a MP devotee to be sure.
#8 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 16
zillions of butterfly huts to tomwhiteand pickles. (it is perfectly fine to vent here tomwhite...that is why we have created a "sacred" circle of friends here.

I want my wings to run thru the court yard of Notre Dame and on the streets of Rue de Rivoli and Pont Neuf like roach.

Great writing on MP running, Bill. I too am implementing more MP in my training in this cycle...we hope it pays off.

4 miles on rolling hills in a misty rain. It was kind of nice to get wet since I feel playful todaysmile.gif

pieblush.gif
where is johny?

glad to see that cute duck around here again.

dirt dahling..come here and tell me how the legs are doing? still icing the ankle, I hope....and are we doing any strengthening ex. or is it still too early for that.

Econo...I am jealous...

aren't we picky about exact time today Mr. Millbot??uhoh2.gif...don't you start copying someone I know...
#9 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 2
Hello Captain Sensible, roch, Byll (discussion on Brain Training? confused.gif??smile.gif, {{tomwhite & Pickles}}, Peter, Byll again, CNY, & mariposai

38° F
59½ minutes with 3 x (8' run, 2' walk)

Where is ksearlyrunr?
#10 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Addicted Member

Roch,
THat sounds like it was a fun run. It was just my normal 5.xx mile loop which was 5.21 miles today. I ran it in 41:59 for a pace of 8:03. I also did 200 crunches and then 100 crunches on my right side and 100 crunches on my left side.

I have about 2 and half hours before I have to get dressed for my 3rd interview. I am really hoping this is it. I am tired of being unemployed.

It was fun watching the Lady Boilermakers beat UNC last night.
#11 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Special Member

TW, what has changed with Pickles? Why did this issue pop up suddenly? I know she has had serious medical problems but has there been an exacerbation of something? Poor Pickles! I know this must be ripping you up inside.

I went back to the gym this morning and did 20 minutes on the expresso bike and 20 minutes of stretching. I'm being ever so cautious! There was no shin pain on the bike so I'm feeling encouraged, and it was good to move towards my usual routine.

Susan

Running in memory of my Dad.
#12 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Special Member

thanks guys//.....

...riley//......the problem with leukemia
is until the blood tests come back you never
know WHAT'S going on.

and the Main Fear is that it will go Aggressive...(and crowd out the Red Blood Cells)

we go back to the doc in april
then we find out what's going on

--------------------
.....nothing takes the place of persistence.....
#13 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Special Member

Likes Given: 1
That must have been a fantastic run, Roch.
Gobi, if you're into hundred milers, you might whet your blade with this Grindstone

Speaking of exciting,
I saw the oldest moon I've ever seen this morning and heard some baby crows hollering for breakie.
On the way to run I walked past a dozen deer, some of the little ones were still lying on the ground.
I talked to a neighbor and helped him carry a few 2x6s down next to the trail where he's building a bicycle garage.
He's 69 and can out work me hands down.
I had another fabulous 5 miles of fartleks.
Then talked to a home builder on the walk back who said
I could have a coupla loads of his good clean red clay fill thats ready to back a truck up to. That will be enough to finish off my oven.
Its not ususally that exciting around here.
JJJ
#14 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Aww Tomwhite.....hugs to you and Pickles. Feel free to vent whenever.

Roch, sounds like a wonderful trip. Life is indeed good smile.gif

I still need to read Dirt's RR. Keep waiting for some uninterrupted time so I can read it all at once.

We've sure had some strange (and upsetting) events in Montana lately. Gas explosions leveling businesses, earthquakes, airplane crashes. Another small town lost a big part of its Main Street yesterday due to fire. LaT and Pie, are you sure you still want to come to MT??

Today is yin yoga and zumba but I'm wondering if I'll be able to get away to do either one. Esther do you have any experience with Kundalini yoga? I met someone who instructs that style and was thinking about giving his class a try sometime.

You want weapons? We're in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world!
-- Doctor Who
My Blog
#15 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 5
What a wide variety of posts already this morning. Joy and sadness all rolled into one thread. Tom; I'm sorry you and pickles have to go thru this. It won't be easy; but you two can do all that needs to be done. Find the good things and good times with her.

Millbot; I am here. 8 very tender miles this morning at a pretty pedestrian pace this morning just making sure I don't completely break my ouchie parts. I don't think I could get new parts before Boston so I have to be careful now for a couple weeks. No more racing or speed work till after Boston.
#16 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Special Member

(((wishing everyone, especially tomwhite and pickles, the cute sound of baby crows cawing for breakfast)))

Just waiting for the alarm clock to go off. I set my iphone near DS's head to go off at 7:45am with the nuclear submarine alarm bell and a "Happy Birthday Ben!" message on it. He's 16, but still my baby crow.

We have to leave Canada and drive back home. sad.gif
#17 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Special Member

Good morning folks,

{{{Tomwhite and Pickles}}}

Thanks for the tour, Roch!

1 hour on the elliptical - seemed hard today. Quads felt tired. After some icing the knee was a little stiff and sore too. Stoopid ITB...

Nice runs CNY, Breeger, Peter, KS, JJJ, FLAb! Looking good, Mill!!

Mike
#18 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Special Member

when are La tortuguita and the Pro planning to be in Montana?

{{{ksrunner}}}wisdom for you as you continue with your training...Boston is just around the corner smile.gif
#19 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Special Member

{{{{tomwhite & pickles}}}}

"not yet, I have some unfinished business with the course!" Dove
#20 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Special Member

tomwhite, I'll be thinking extra-strong happy red blood cell thoughts for Pickles today. I hope she bounces back soon.

Am chortling at the thought of NSLE's wakeup call. Happy Birthday, dood.

After work, I have 70 minutes over hills. Coach says she doesn't care about HR, but I have to keep the pace rock-solid steady throughout. Am picking my hills carefully.

I'm in the process of bracing myself for the killer LR of this cycle on Saturday.

2:50 with 4x12 minutes at or below 4:50/km (7:50/mi). Then finish with 30 minutes at the same pace. It will make the 3:00 run the following week (presumably with less quality on board) look easy. It's going to be a wild ride.

The whatchamacallit wiki is at: http://coolrunningboomers.pbwiki.com
#21 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Special Member

Good Morning, all!
Lots to read, but I need to get to work.
(((TW & pickles)))
Roch, nice running locale!
Good runs to everyone else, too.

Went out for an easy 10, and my calf felt fine! No pain! yay!! I have another A.R.T. session tomorrow. Like ks, no more speed workouts for me before Boston.

5:42AM
46°F, Dark
10.32 miles in 1:38; 9:32 pace smile.gif
#22 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 20
Likes Given: 7
Yes, I do. Basically it's a shortcut method of getting to all the energetics (the so-called "woowoo" effects) of the entire practice of yoga. There's movement involved, yes, but it's not the same as your typical asana (i.e. the physical poses) practice. You do certain sets of movements, called kriyas, for a very specifically prescribed amount of time. These movements tend to be fast, usually involving torso twisting and flailing your arms, to the point of getting dizzy. Or it could be intense abdominal work, like leg lifts or holding plank. There's also pranayama (breath work), in the "breath of fire" style (inhaling and exhaling very fast through the nose while pumping your belly in time to the breathing). Crazy stuff like that. Oh, and there's chanting too. Anything that gets that "head rush" effect to happen, but of the sort that happens in other places in your body as well.

Some people swear by it. For other people, it can really upset their nervous system, especially if they're already "revving high" as their natural state, if that makes any sense. Kinda like working toward getting a runner's high without having run. That's why the admonition to always make sure you have a well-trained kundalini teacher guide you in this practice, as opposed to attempting it on your own, say from a book.

My teacher (the one I did my teacher training with) would call it "the drug", as in "So did you all enjoy your drug?" after leading us in a one-hour kundalini practice. That's really a very apt description for it: it's strong medicine that works really well when administered properly... though results tend to vary on an individual basis.

Hope that helped. smile.gif

(((tomwhite and pickles)))

Please support me in the fight against breast cancer.

The journey is its own reward so I can't lose. -- jjj
#23 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 01:20 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

CNYrunner - pizza sounds good, where do I sign up for Tuesday lunch ?

jjj - I stop at 100kms at the moment :¬)
#24 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Special Member

{{{{ TW & Pickles}}}} I hope the April answers from the doctor are good ones! You're both in my prayers. I'm thinking strong red blood cells for Pickles.

Susan

Running in memory of my Dad.
#25 of 73 Old 03-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Special Member

And you said recently that I had passed you by. If you come out of this beast more or less in one piece, the ball will be most definitely be back in my court.

Wow. I'm wiped out just thinking about that one.

Bill

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page