***Stealthy***Healthy***Eating*** - KickRunners.com

#1 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 05:20 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 0
Yo.

So, um, my name is Sal, and, like, my shorts don't fit. This may have something to do with that thing I said in that other meeting about cheeseburgers, but I doubt it.

Now, of course, healthy people with an athletic lifestyle and a healthy body image don't go on diets. Of course. But what if one of them gets a little pudgy because of cheeseburgers and Girl Guide cookies and Oh, God Help Me, Hallowe'en? What if she sat down and polished off a bunch of cheese and crackers before she knew what had happened?

Well, her shorts might not fit so well.

I had great success with food logging at WeightWatchers online years ago: but I don't want to join up and pay for a food log. Do any of you have favourites that are online and free?

I weigh 158 right now. I race well at about 150-152. At the bottom end of my weight-loss phase, I hit 148, and people started asking whether I was sick. One running site I saw said my big-boned, 5'10 self should be more like 138. I think I'd die. But that weight-loss is free speed, isn't it?

I want to get back on the wagon. I need some support.

Anyone wanna come along with me?

The whatchamacallit wiki is at: http://coolrunningboomers.pbwiki.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 3
ooo oooo ooo pick me! Pick me to come along with you!

I hate those 'you should weigh' things. At 5'9 and a smidge, they usually say I should weigh in the mid 130's. Well, at my thinnest, while going through a divorce at age 30, I got down to 138, from 160, and was a loose size 2. looking back at pics of me from then - I looked anorexic. And I probably bordered on it as well.

I want to lose a few more lbs, but mainly during Nov/Dec I'm happy to just maintain! LOL . . . Birthdays, holidays, etc. OY!

~Tammy~

#3 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 2
Sal, you look thin. I weigh 146 and am 5'7" and I wear a size 8, which seems nearly perfect for a woman my age. I doubt you could lose much weight and still look good. Weighing 138 would make you look anorexic! Why don't you just swear off eating anything after 7pm? That would probably help you lose 3-4 lbs by the holidays, if not more. You need to eat in order to run -- you don't want to look like that woman on the cover of Running times, do you?

During my divorce 8 years ago, I dropped down to about 125 and I wore a size 4. Not good - people (my parents & friends) were concerned. I also got colds constantly.

You are a beautiful woman, don't lose too much weight.
Susan

Running in memory of my Dad.

#4 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Special Member

Okay, I have 2-3 extra lbs still hanging on from my down time earlier this year, but I really just want to ask what "stealty" means.

I read this book a while back. A lot of it will be familiar to anyone who knows the basics of nutrition, but there are some good summaries and some recent findings relevant to endurance athletes. It also contains a refreshing perspective on weight management for athletes. If any of you stealty people are interested, I'll post a summary of that part.
#5 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Special Member

I trust that Mustang Sally has the wisdom to stop where it is sensible.

I'm in -- 5 lbs gained over 2 years. I am wearing slacks that are 2 sizes larger than I wore 2 years ago, so I know it ain't muscle...

ETA: tomorrow I'm going to post that I didn't eat any more Halloween candy (after this morning's indulgence) for the rest of the day.

I shall invoke Chief Inspector Clouseau...every day, in every way, I am getting better and better

#6 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Special Member

(I think it was a typo so I used my powers to fix it. Do ya miss those powers Mill?)

But if Stealty is Canadian speak for something and I just didn't know it, I will change it back. Presto and Abra Cadabra!

~Tammy~

#7 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Special Member

Announcer Voice

''...TRY
FIBER ONE BARS''........very filling.....

I lost 2-lbs and wasn't even trying......

taste pretty good too.

--------------------
.....nothing takes the place of persistence.....
#8 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 06:04 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

You guys are great. Susan, I promise to be careful. I just need to get a handle on how I eat before I lose control completely.

Thanks for the typo patchup. The stealthpart is so Sans Souci doesn't come in and whack my canuckles. Thanks also for the Fiber One suggestion. I've put a hold on the Performance Nutrition book at the Lie-berry.

And tomorrow, I shall post that I didn't eat any hallowe'en candy, nor anything else for that matter, after my dinner.

ETA:
Quote:
You don't want to look like that woman on the cover of Running Times, do you?

Well, um, that would do.

The whatchamacallit wiki is at: http://coolrunningboomers.pbwiki.com
#9 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 0
Mustang Kiddo:

I liked FitDay http://www.fitday.com/ but I need WWOL to be bossier than FitDay was.

Halloween candy is a real hazard... I promise I'll log on tomorrow and say that I swore off it after 4:17:58 PM today.

"...the difference between veteran runners and other folks is Discipline in ReHab" -- tomwhite
#10 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Special Member

Hey, I'll hop on the bus, it's easy, I've done it hundreds of times (I usually last about half a block before I find myself sitting in the gutter.) But I'm still over 150, but down from 158 WC, BC would be 145-148 and people asking if I'm ok.

(Why does this seem familiar you know who you are.)
Craig
#11 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Special Member

I am a scary beast, eh, Sal?

If you're wanting to lose a few, now's the time, not as you're getting close to marathon time when you'll be fussing. Develop some good habits before Christmas.

What about more weight training? This suggests it may regulate metabolism.

I have a different body type, but years past, I was 20lbs over what I am now. I'm not big on diets either, just portion control, which can be hard when your mileage increases and you're hungry. (ETA: more mileage and you need more calories)

If you can limit the amount of meat you eat, replace it with fish, and try to do without a lot of sauces and dairy, I think that will help a lot.

I haven't seen the cover of Running Times, but some of us have a different body type and I think it's an exaggeration to say the look is anorexic. I plan to lose a few pounds before my next marathon, and, yeah, I've got to be careful it's not too much. I know the weight will come off as my distance and effort increases.

Awaiting the comeback of velour jumpsuit couture.
#12 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 20
Likes Given: 20
Yes, the post-Halloween, holiday weight creep has begun!

I've struggled for some time to maintain ~140 (size 6) on a 5'6" frame, with the help of WeightWatchers ………..down from 172 lb/size 14 around 5 years ago. So far haven't had to go back to actually writing down the points, but have had to amass several techniques to reel myself back in when the holiday piggery starts straining the seams.
Things like……… drinking only tea at work, since I can use Splenda and no milk (can’t drink coffee without cream)
…….. walking away from the constant goodies in the workroom down the hall
…….. not getting a second piece of toast
…….. not buttering my toast if I’m putting peanut butter on it
…….. one glass of wine ONLY when getting home from work (OK, I leave that one for last)
…….. realizing that I stick food in my mouth out of habit, not because I want it
…….. mix 50:50 skim milk with 2% to drink (DH refuses to use 1%)
…….. no extra cheese on my KD
etc., etc.

You already know the basics, just find a few things that you know you can change and stick with. Why use an on-line log….write it all down on a plain piece of paper if you need to and keep it where you can see it.

You can do it!
#13 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 20
Likes Given: 7
I've been holding at 133 lbs. for several months now, 5'2.5", but my size 2 jeans are fitting a lot better than previously because my hips are slimming a bit due to the running. Needless to say, I am NOT built like a runner, which is probably why I run in the first place (it's the hardest thing I do, yet I can still do it). I know my eating is many times beyond my control, though I do have the rule of never eating the same thing more than once a day, and I think that helps. Meaning, if I'm going to eat sweets, fine, I won't stress over it, but once I've had them, that's it until the next day. At least in that way I am making a conscious choice about what I put into my mouth. Unfortunately I'm still eating those sweets (Halloween candy be damned!), but at least it's a start.

MS, I'm with you as well. Good that you started this thread, thanks.

Please support me in the fight against breast cancer.

The journey is its own reward so I can't lose. -- jjj
#14 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Special Member

No, the Running Times cover (December) woman is Constantina Tomescu-Dita. She is pretty scary-looking in that pic.

Susan

Running in memory of my Dad.
#15 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sally View Post

I had great success with food logging at WeightWatchers online years ago: but I don't want to join up and pay for a food log. Do any of you have favourites that are online and free?
You could try www.sparkpeople.com . They have a food log as well as an exercise log and a whole lot of resources.

I have no patience for logging my food, no doubt because I snack a lot. I tried before, but I crashed and burned it 2 days.

See who can track their food the longest! I'll be on the sidelines, cheering...

j
#16 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 09:41 PM
Special Member

I've been slacking lately..... I've been running injured the last two months and have fallen off the wagon......I started not paying attention to what I was eating and drinking but I was keeping my weight under 180....... That was until a few weeks ago when DW started buying Halloween candy.. now I'm up 5 or 6 lbs.....every time she bought a bag I'd eat it I'm not kidding .... I must have eaten 5 or 6 bags of the crap. I spent this past weekend on a candy binge .... the good thing is that there's no more candy in the house

It's time to get back on the wagon....... I have to .... I threw out all my fat clothes a month ago..... I won't have anything to wear if I don't start losing instead of gaining weight!

We're all in this thing together,
Walkin' the line between faith and fear Upcoming races......?????
#17 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandbaggingJim View Post
I've been slacking lately..... I've been running injured the last two months . . .
yeah, based on your performance at VRAA this time around, I can tell you aren't up to your usual status. Heck, you are only #5 in the overall leaderboard

I did a bad this a.m. - stopped and got a buttermilk donut on my way to work.
But ate healthy at work - rice/quinoa for lunch, apple and cottage cheese/peaches for afternoon snack. And a 90 calorie little cracker pack at lunchtime also.
And tonight is pizza because it's cold, rainy, Monday night football and neither of us feel like cooking. But I'll limit my pizza intake.
And no pumpkin pie for dessert.

~Tammy~

#18 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOjim View Post
.... the good thing is that there's no more candy in the house

........try the Fiber Bars with extra liquid........

...it
also makes you poop more,,

,,er,,,,

,,,if you wanna poop more, that is.

--------------------
.....nothing takes the place of persistence.....
#19 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 15
I like to carbo load with holloween candy

so ... I need to lose 40# by April
#20 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamster View Post
yeah, based on your performance at VRAA this time around, I can tell you aren't up to your usual status. Heck, you are only #5 in the overall leaderboard
That's going to fall soon... I'm in my taper mode and trying to get healthy for Pasadena in 2 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamster View Post
I did a bad this a.m. - stopped and got a buttermilk donut on my way to work.
That's not bad..... it would have been bad if you had a dozen donuts

We're all in this thing together,
Walkin' the line between faith and fear Upcoming races......?????
#21 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

I definately am jumping on this band wagon! I decided this is necessary as I just finished off my 4th KitKat bar of the day. I don't even like KitKats! Ugh! I know the necessary step - get out the door for longer runs and a bit more weight training....but jeepers it sure is tough to implement! I ran a 5k yesterday - those extra pounds were definately felt. They must go!
#22 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 16
Sal when my tubby tummy starts to slink over my shorts, pants, and god help me when its cold, my tights....I go to fit day also.....i like the free service.....In the early stages of weight reduction I also use a metabolism supplement.......

Just think you already have your thanksgiving out of the way...
#23 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 11:38 PM

I've one pound to lose of the 3 pounds I gained during our Canadian trip (Henrun of courses loses any weight gain in one week or less grrrrr). i've never tried any of the online groups - but i swear by the food log methodology - write down everything you eat and drink every day as you do it - makes you really think about what you're eating (no i won't forgo those martoonis, altho i should).

since i haven't seen a size 2 or 6, since i was 3 years old, i won't comment on clothing size, except to say if you're favorite skirt/jeans are tight, it means it's time to lose some weight or do some crunches. marj
#24 of 83 Old 11-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Special Member

[for Marj's eyes only]

Martoonis, you say? Dangit, I wish I had known and we could've had a real vacation-y lunch (and I ain't talking about fish chowder and tacones )

Come back!

Good advice, Marj. Sending a virtual double chocolate chip cookie for Henry.

Awaiting the comeback of velour jumpsuit couture.
#25 of 83 Old 11-04-2008, 12:42 AM

Likes Earned: 15
I like Spark people's log over Fitday because it takes input food from me and let's you use it. Like, if I add all the information from every label I buy then it's available for everyone. Fitday only let's you use what you add yourself. How selfish is that?

Anyway, I could use some motivation. I won't criticize the rest of all y'all skinny people, promise

No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch

"It's totally okay for you to be less of an ass than you thought you were" Big Gahoona

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page