Dublin Marathon 2009 - Kickrunners on Tour - A thought? - KickRunners.com

#1 of 20 Old 02-08-2008, 12:37 PM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 10
Likes Given: 1
I make no apology that I am going to post this across a range of forums on here to try and see if I can attract some attention to a thought I had last week when I was at the Surf City Marathon with everyone.

Every time I come over to America, meet up with fellow Kicksters from here, everyone mentions how they would love to come to Ireland - one day! And run the Dublin Marathon. Now, I appreciate that not everyone can drop everything and book flights to Dublin, plan a marathon, enjoy a Guinness or two, find a hotel, meet up with friends, run a marathon etc., so here's my thought....

The 2009 Dublin Marathon takes place on Monday October 26th - That's 20 months away, plenty of time to plan ahead, and maybe make the decision to come to Ireland for a Global Kick Trip. I can sort out hotel plans as the gym I use is part of a hotel complex that has adequate rooms and I am sure I can reach an accommodation on a decent price, obviously a bit far ahead to be accurate at this stage - At present they charge €89 per night, per room, which works out at around $130 at present exchange rates, I doubt it would me much different, and there are no added taxes to pay, that's the price you pay.

I can't say on flights, obviously depends on where you come from, but October is usually a cheaper month to fly, so hopefully it's not beyond the realms of peoples pockets -

It's just a thought, but it would be a blast for everyone I am sure, and you can sample some of our renowned hospitality - and Guinness smile.gif

What thoughts?

Liam

Check out my blog at www.irishrunaholic.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 02-08-2008, 03:27 PM

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 0
Liam, a wonderful suggestion. Although I've given up marathons, I've been toying with the thought of doing one when I turn 75 (which happens to be in2009). I would enjoy returning to Dublin. I'll give it a long and thoughtful consideration. biggrin.gif.
#3 of 20 Old 02-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Likes Given: 3
Renowned hospitality is right, Liam. Celebrating Henry's birthday would be the icing on the Guinness cake.

Better reserve a spot for the singalong at the Brazen Head on Sunday afternoon. smile.gif (although I'm sure you know of a better, less touristy spot, but I sure had several nights of fun there)

Awaiting the comeback of velour jumpsuit couture.

#4 of 20 Old 02-08-2008, 03:59 PM

Likes Earned: 15
Likes Given: 2
I haven't and am not likely to run a marathon but I do love a party and a gathering of friends in faraway places sounds like it could be fun. Being in NY metro area flights are easy to come by as well. I will keep my eye on the brewings

No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch

"It's totally okay for you to be less of an ass than you thought you were" Big Gahoona
#5 of 20 Old 02-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Likes Earned: 0
Hi Liam, what a great idea! Ireland is top on my list of places to visit. Plenty of time to plan and it might just be do able. Thanks, Larry

Good Runs All
Larry
#6 of 20 Old 02-08-2008, 07:37 PM - Thead Starter

Henry it would be great to see you here in Dublin - And what better way to celebrate a burpday than running with friends, and having a few post race drinks in O'Donohue's (or the Brazen Head!) - or Kennedy's for those who like their first pint within 100 yards of the finish line smile.gif

#7 of 20 Old 02-08-2008, 11:12 PM

Ok I'm new and you guys don't know me,but this is one of my dreams in life! Can I come?
#8 of 20 Old 02-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 5
This sounds very interesting to me and the mrs as well. Only I haven't told her yet. Never been outside u.s. except over the boarder in Mexico and Hawaii. Got to start saving my pennies now so I can do Boston '09 and Dublin '09.
#9 of 20 Old 02-09-2008, 12:44 AM
Special Member

Pssssst. ksrunr....

Hawai'i is a state. don' tell nobody. It's our seeeekrit.

biggrin.gif

The whatchamacallit wiki is at: http://coolrunningboomers.pbwiki.com
#10 of 20 Old 02-09-2008, 01:16 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 5
MS - I know but I can't drive to it biggrin.gif. I'm just barely smarter than I look!
#11 of 20 Old 02-09-2008, 01:33 AM

Likes Earned: 15
Likes Given: 2
The more the merrier pegruns!!

No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch

"It's totally okay for you to be less of an ass than you thought you were" Big Gahoona
#12 of 20 Old 02-09-2008, 08:29 AM - Thead Starter

All are welcome, the more the merrier - Wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends, neighbours, bring everyone, lets just have a laugh smile.gif

#13 of 20 Old 02-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Special Member

What a great idea and plenty of time to plan. I think I'll try and make Dublin my destination marathon for 2009, it can't be much more expensive than a week in Boston! Would it be a good place for kids (13 year old?)

-DOve
#14 of 20 Old 02-09-2008, 03:32 PM - Thead Starter

Dove - Great place for 13 year olds if they like a bit of history, and fun, mixed together -

#15 of 20 Old 02-09-2008, 05:02 PM

UMMM, coming from Flat Florida,,, Dublin Hills???
#16 of 20 Old 02-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Special Member

oh boy!!! banana.gif I will check my '09 conference schedule; I hope it has a hole that week!
#17 of 20 Old 02-10-2008, 10:29 AM - Thead Starter

Hills? We don't have any here - We level the course to make it easy for you Americuns smile.gif

Seriously, the course is not one that you hear people complaining about any hills. There are a couple of small bumps, but nothing to get even mildly anxious about. In fact, the bumps are more like pimples.....

#18 of 20 Old 02-10-2008, 10:02 PM

Likes Given: 62
Wow - Oct. 30, 2009 I will be 49, and on Nov. 3, 2009, DS1 turns 16. That sounds like a lovely birthday present for us both. Not that he'll run, unless I can convince him to train with me, so that we both get up even earlier than we already do. But a trip to Ireland for his 16th BD would be pretty sweet.

Don't know if DH and DS2 would be interested unless we could stay for a week and really make a trip out of it, but that would mean taking both boys out of school for that long. DS1 can probably afford to miss a couple of days, because he is the type to put in the extra make-up hours, and can probably get things done ahead of time if needed.

I've never run a marathon yet, and never considered it until recently. I'm running 5 and 6 miles at a time which I've never done before on a regular basis. Now I'm doing that every week, and it is so rewarding to be doing something at 47 that I couldn't do at 27. I couldn't do it then because I ALWAYS pushed, never took an easy run. Thought I had to get better with every run, and didn't have a long-term outlook.

This sounds really exciting, and I will give it some serious thought. Thanks for the great idea, Liam!
#19 of 20 Old 02-11-2008, 06:08 AM - Thead Starter

Laura, we'll make sure you have a pair of great burpdays when you make it over smile.gif

#20 of 20 Old 02-14-2008, 03:27 AM

Dove, I think you're right. I've run both Boston and Dublin, and -- aside from the week of travel around the country after Dublin (2003) -- I think the airfare, hotel and food was comparable for Dublin as my trips to Boston have been. (If I add in the money I can't seem to not spend at Boston's expo, maybe more for Boston. :roll_eyessmile.gif The cost is the main reason I elected not to run Boston this year.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page