Ibuprophen use (too much?) - KickRunners.com

#1 of 10 Old 09-17-2007, 11:50 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
Being a newbie in my running rebirth, I'm constantly running a little bit further or a little bit faster. I usually have sore muscles the next day, that good kind of sore that lets you know your doing your body good. I usually take a 600mg Ibuprophen(equiv of 3 over the counter pills) and everything is fine.

I'm starting to wonder how much is too much and if everyone else just lives with the soreness knowing that it is normal and OK. I've heard the NSAIDs can be bad for the stomach if taken too often.

Take the Ibupophen and be pain free (but maybe get tummy problems) or live with the soreness and have a happy tummy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 09-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Ken, I suspect answers to this question could be all over the map. The best advice is to talk to your doctor about it.

Short of that, I would personally not be troubled by taking up to 3 IB occasionally. (I do it myself from time to time). I think cause for concern enters when you need to take it for chronic pain and are taking it every day. Even this might be acceptable, as long as you have discussed it with your doctor and he/she knows what you are doing. (For example, my mom has arthritis and her doctor has advised her to take IB regularly to control pain).

If your pain is truly delayed onset muscle soreness, then it's not chronic and will go away as you become more fit.

There are other considerations for taking IB before/during a long run. I think the advice here is to NOT take it because it's really hard on the kidneys and liver should you become dehydrated. (There are horror stories of people overdoing the IB during marathons and ending up in the hospital). My personal philosophy is that if I need a pain reliever to be able to run, then perhaps I should evaluate whether I should be running at all. (But I don't think type of IB usage is what you are talking about).

I hope this helps.
#3 of 10 Old 09-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 5
I want to echo what runninbehind posted. If you have a "good soreness" I would never take anything to relieve it. If it's swelling or injury to point of needing ice and rest then by all means take some IB. I would never take IB daily for any extended periods of time because of before mentioned horror stories. Your body will adapt to the stress you are putting on it and the good soreness will go away. If you need IB to start your runs regularly you are probably trying to do more than your ready for. Again, your dr is best advice and opinions will probably vary widely.

Just a few cents worth,
ksrunr

#4 of 10 Old 09-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Special Member

I think runninbehind is right in all said.

I do not take NSAIDS at all. I am really sore after yesterday (23M). Calves, glutes, hips, etc. I went swimming to day cuz it it good for stuff like that. Routine muscle soreness should not require pain meds.

Taking pain meds before running is a big nono in my book. It masks pain. Pain happens for a reason.

Now that I said that. I do take NSAIDS for controlling inflammation, like tendinitis. But...big but, if you do this (you should probably ask a Dr. about how much) because you need to take a lot (600 mg 3x per day) and for a long time (weeks). It's a whole 'nother ball game.

CRiag
#5 of 10 Old 09-17-2007, 03:32 PM

Likes Earned: 15
Likes Given: 2
I am with the general consensus here that normal soreness is not a reason for nsaids. Inflammation that impedes your normal range of motion, yes. If you are having that on a regular basis there is something wrong more then just normal soreness.

I have normal soreness from working out to the point of having difficulty lifting my legs or bending down and have never thought about taking something for that other then a relaxing bath or a loosening brisk walk.

No matter how slow you run it is still faster than someone sitting on a couch

"It's totally okay for you to be less of an ass than you thought you were" Big Gahoona
#6 of 10 Old 09-17-2007, 03:50 PM - Thead Starter

Thanks for the feedback. What I have is indeed the normal soreness that I could and should listen to and not mask with a NSAID.

From now on:
normal soreness...NO
inflamation control...YES w/drs advice.
#7 of 10 Old 09-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
........well,,,,,,,Late to the Party again,,,,,,
=====================

.......agreed, don't Mask Pain Symptoms,,,,,,,,,,,don't upset the stomach

and DO take it with food or milk to prevent stomach upset

.............Don't Run Hurt.........

--------------------
.....nothing takes the place of persistence.....
#8 of 10 Old 09-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Have you tried a glass of wine or beer? For me it works as well for sore muscles as Ibuprofen. Of course, in the evening is preferred as opposed to before work.
#9 of 10 Old 09-19-2007, 11:08 AM - Thead Starter

Well a glass of wine or beer is an everyday occurance for me but I haven't been observing the effects on my soreness. I see an interesting bit of experimentation going on here!!

Maybe I need to compare several types/brands of beer? Compare beer to...say...Jack Daniels...and see what the results are?

The scientific research starts tonight!!!

(Maybe I can brew a special homebrew and market it to runners!)
#10 of 10 Old 09-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 5
Quantity might be your answer (for soreness only)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page