September for 30s - KickRunners.com

#1 of 10 Old 09-01-2016, 06:49 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
September for 30s

Hiya!

I haven't been online in the evenings at all. Not sure why. Too tired once I get chores done, I guess.

Spent 34 hours in the hot room in August. MMMM bendy.

J cupped my back Monday night, and then did deep tissue after. AMAZING how much longer the work lasted with the addition of that. I'm getting a bit creeky, but even so am still WAY better than I normally would be this far out from a treatment. So yay, maybe he figured out something else helpful?

Um. Still camping in my kitchen. One of my co-workers just bought my old refrigerator tonight, so that's one less thing to deal with. I'm hoping to buy a lawn mower this weekend, although who the heck knows how i'll get that out of my car. HA. Oh, and I ordered some unfinished oak to install in the back of one of the bedrooms. When we ripped up carper we found the oak is only in the original part of the house - the addition has crap wood. So we're going to put down some oak and refinish all the floors. Waiting, waiting. Hopefully I'll be moved out of my kitchen before the weather changes. HA.

Has anyone besides Kate moved, or is the 30s holiday list still pretty accurate? Wait, Missy moved too. Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 09-02-2016, 10:24 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4
hi all!

yes, i moved but my address is updated on the list

we have been busy - the in laws have been in town and i'm also dealing with 4 mo sleep regression with AJ. basically shes not sleeping so that makes things like staying awake during the day difficult. blargh.

katho, we also had oak floors (really nice ones) underneath the carpet they pulled up when we moved in. so funny. but apparently they got cheap and only put down oak on the first 5 steps on the staircase and decided crap wood for the rest. what gives??

been fitnessing here and there. we went up to a sleepy little fishing and foodie town called bodega bay on the coast this past weekend with the in laws and so i ate a ton and fitnessed very little. heh.

any fun plans for the long weekend? its been non stop on the past 2 weekends for us so i'm looking forward to some R&R..
#3 of 10 Old 09-06-2016, 06:32 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1
Hiya, everybody. I hope everyone had a good Labor Day weekend. Gee, it would be nice if everybody started posting here again...

As always, I spent the Labor Day weekend in New Haven CT where I ran their annual road race. For 39 years they've had a 20k, and I ran it the last 12 years. This year they added a Half Marathon, so I tried my hand at that. The course was basically identical to the 20k, except that they added a small out-and-back around Mile 11 that added the extra distance.

As slow as I've gotten, I didn't know what to expect. But the weather held out perfectly. Tropical Storm Hermine stayed away, but kept the day cloudy and cool (albeit a little windy). I had struggled all summer long with any sort of distance, but wow, the cooler weather sure helped a lot. I felt great throughout the run, and I'm quite happy that Mile 13 was my fastest mile of the day (8:21). That might be a far cry from 6 or 8 years ago when I could average like 7:45 for a HM, but considering where I've been lately, I'll happily take it. I was pleasantly surprised to finish under two hours (1:57:22). I'm also more encouraged that the marathon in Maine in 4 weeks won't be as grueling as the last one, since the weather should hopefully be pleasant like yesterday was...

Sooooo... what's up with everyone?

#4 of 10 Old 09-06-2016, 08:34 AM

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 5
Hey all!

I was down the Cape this weekend with my friend Deb. Adam had to go out to see his father in AZ, so it was sort of a girls' weekend. We were staying at her friend's place on one of the ponds is Chatham, so we swam there and paddleboarded, and also went to the beach a few times. It was great. There was even skinny dipping! It was nice. We got back early yesterday since the storm was coming in down there, but it was a gorgeous day back in Boston.

Nice running, boB!

Miss everyone!

"And all our fears were in vain, a dream, just like the Lord said."
- Jack Kerouac, Desolation Angels

Yeah, I have a blog....
#5 of 10 Old 09-06-2016, 05:22 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4
nicely done, bob! i remember running it with you, coachT, and maria (anyone else?!??) a few years back. i'll never forget the last stretch - it was sooooooooooooo long. how are your parents doing? did they come out to the course and support like they always do?

moe, ah. the cape. i've been missing the east coast recently.. i love a good summer storm. haha. of course i'm not complaining with our nearly perfect, humid-less weather here but there's something to be said about a good summer storm i also LOVE LOVE fall on the east coast.

am i crazy for considering of flying across the country with two kids on a red eye? might be a little rough, eh?

i just did a pretty butt kicking P90X work out. hoping to get out for a run tomorrow.

katho - did you end up gettin ga lawnmower?

we had a low key labor day. we went hiking and caveb exploring at pinnacles national park with some friends and it was fun! the caves were a little intense - at one point J was crawling on his hands with AJ strapped to his chest in the dark. hehe.
#6 of 10 Old 09-07-2016, 12:08 PM
Addicted Member

Heh, yeah, Missy, my parents still come out to watch, at the end of their block right before Mile 2. They're doing fine, thanks for asking. Getting older, of course, but hanging in there well for folks their age.

I know what you mean about the last stretch. It does seem to last a long time, but it's really only about two straight miles after the last turn. Two miles isn't too much... but it sure feels like quite a lot at that point in a race...

First game of Fall Softball season is tonight. We've moved into a higher division, so we should have stiffer competition than we did in the summer when the girls went 9-1. Should be interesting to see how they handle this...

Holy cow, just 3.5 weeks until another marathon! How do they keep creeping up so quickly?!?
#7 of 10 Old 09-07-2016, 06:42 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Moe View Post
There was even skinny dipping!
WOOHOOOOOO!!!

I haven't done that in a while.

No lawnmower, but I did find a battery powered Ryobi trimmer that is light enough for me to use without issues. And I got a bunch of shelving for my kitchen pantry (there is an 8 foot wide closet in the kitchen, with a clothes rod and shelf. Weird for a 90something year old woman to have a giant clothes closet in the kitchen, but whatever. I'm making it into a pantry.) The pantry got painted this weekend, but there are a couple spots that need to be touched up before the shelves go up. I'm hoping the shelves go up this weekend, but I'm not sure when that will happen cause I have some stuff going on.

Neighbor Pete (the pocket dentist) mowed for me last weekend. Mwa ha ha.

Yoga schedule changed a little bit for the school year. Other than switching my day off I'm not affected too much... The biggest change is the one 60 minute class I do every week got changed to a 90, so that means I'll have even more time in the hot room. I kind of liked having one shorter class during the week (think an easy run after several tempos) but whatever. It still fits in my schedule and I hurt less when I go every day, so...

I bet Maine in October will be lovely. Good thing you take pics during the race.
#8 of 10 Old 09-18-2016, 07:04 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Jeez, no posts in over a week?

I got 6 days in again last week. Mmmmm. Was talking with Dawn after class yesterday; she has fibromyalgia which rain/humid weather aggravates, and she knows it makes me ache more too. Anyway, we've had a few days of rain here, so she was asking how I was doing, because "watching you do those postures you would never know your back is as jacked up as it is."

Heh.

Part of that is my face is relaxed. I breathe/relax into it and am focused and blocking out (within reason) when it hurts. (if it's stabby I back off. I'm not crazy.) Part of it is I know if I make all the bits move I feel much better the rest of the day. And having watched my mom's mobility decline as much as it has, I'm determined to fight that as much as I can. Ok, she has some extenuating circumstances, but still. AND, I don't wince or gasp anywhere near as much as I did a year ago, or even 6 months ago. I'd love to see a new set of x-rays, to compare with 4/15s, to see what, if anything, is different. Cause we seem to be making progress, at least with pain management. yeehaw.

Speaking of Mom, she had surgery last week for a 3" dia (not exaggerating) spot of melanoma on her forearm. They had to take an additional centimeter around the perimeter, for the clear margin. Not sure how deep they had to go, cause i can only stand so much detail without barfing. Anyway, she isn't supposed to put more than 8 lbs of pressure on her arm (it's an inch or two above her wrist on the top of her arm) for the next 6-8 weeks. Since she walks with 2 canes, that is limiting her mobility even more. She seems to be doing ok, although it's hard to get a good idea because she just doesn't complain about anything. She goes back this week to get the staples holding the skin graft out. (BARF!!!)

In fun news, my unfinished oak finally came in, and will be installed in the one bedroom this Wednesday. And the refinisher guy might be able to start on me end of the week. I might have furniture (and be able to move my bed out of the kitchen) by the end of the month!!

#9 of 10 Old 09-20-2016, 08:12 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28
Check this out - it's my coworker's niece! She's a total badass triathlete anyway, but wow!!
https://twitter.com/runmeb/status/77...62756298192076

Don't believe everything you think
#10 of 10 Old 09-21-2016, 08:33 AM
Addicted Member

Hey, everybody. I guess I've been as guilty as everyone in not checking here all that often any more. What happened to us??

I hope your mom recovers well, Kath...

Well, let's see. I've got a marathon in Maine in 11 days. I went for a 20 miler this past Saturday, but tweaked something in my hamstring and bailed after 15. I did the missing 5 on Sunday, but that's not the same thing. So I'll head into the marathon with no training run longer than 16 miles (which I did a couple weeks earlier). Not ideal, but I haven't been ideal in a long time. Oh well...

I hope everyone else is okay...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page