August for the 30s - KickRunners.com

#1 of 24 Old 08-01-2016, 01:50 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28
Likes Given: 1
August for the 30s

July was so sparse, I'm going to just start this as a monthly thread. We can adapt if we get chatty again!

Not much new here - bracing myself for the start of school I was going to try to start the morning run routine again today, but the Cubs went extra innings and...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 08-01-2016, 07:10 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 27
Hi guys! I have to go back and read the last two weeks but wanted to send a quick post now.

Two weeks ago we went to Bethany Beach, DE for vacation, it was great and I even got 3 early morning crazy humid runs in. Thursday my FIL went into the ICU and Froday DH drove down to Hilton Head to see him as they didn't think he would make it. He passed away Saturday night :disappointed:.

Sunday Miss A and I drove a rental home, unpacked, repacked and grabbed DH's suit and flew down to be with the family. We had a nice privation military service for him, he was a Vietnam Vet.

The rest of the week was spent taking care of things for my MIL. I did manage to get in a run with my SIL and niece one night. Most days were 98-103 with 75% or more humidity. The run sucked but we got in 3 miles.

Didn't get another chance to run until tonight as we got home at 1am Sunday morning after a long drive north. It was 75 and humid tonight but way better than in SC and I had the fastest run I have done in 4 months. Felt awesome...sure I'm going to be sore tomorrow!

Hope everyone is doing great!
#3 of 24 Old 08-01-2016, 11:26 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4
monthly thread is a good idea - thanks, amichel! i hear you on school, too. i think i'm bracing myself mostly b/c i'm on the PTA board this year and the activities i'm responsible for are very beginning of the year heavy. but i'm also looking forward to getting into a good school routine, too.

heather, i'm so sorry to hear about your FIL. my condolences to your family. i'm glad to hear that your running is coming along nicely.. way to go, lady!

can you believe the olympics start this friday? crazy!

i had a late night run on saturday night after we got home from the beach. it was nice and cool and felt great to just be out there with bella, pounding some pavement. i've done p90x both today and yesterday so theres that, too. i hope the scale might finally be moving in the right direction.. i've been disciplined about not snacking or, at the very least, snacking healthily. i know it may take a while to lose 40 (yes, you read that right!) pounds as i didn't gain it overnight.. but i'd like to see slow and steady progress

#4 of 24 Old 08-02-2016, 05:17 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Sorry to hear about your FIL, SR...

Okay, I finished July with a whopping 38 miles. I started August with a 6.2 mile run last night, which farther than any single run I did in July. Well, I had intended to take some time off after Hawaii, and I guess that's what I did. Now it's time to get back into it.

Those 38 miles in July include two 5k races. I didn't even realize it right away, but I have re-checked my times in both races, and they were 0.59 seconds apart. Hey, that's consistency!
#5 of 24 Old 08-05-2016, 05:10 AM
Addicted Member

Not much going on, eh? Jeez, we used to have daily threads, then weekly thread. Now it looks like Amichel is right and a monthly thread will do. Is anybody out there? Anybody fitnessing?
#6 of 24 Old 08-09-2016, 11:31 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

I got locked out of here again, and had no luck resetting my password using a mobile device. Finally had time and access to a desktop at the same time.

First day of school for my kiddos. I know time flies and all that, but it seems like the summer was the quickest ever!

Don't believe everything you think
#7 of 24 Old 08-09-2016, 11:34 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

And now a test from my phone...
#8 of 24 Old 08-12-2016, 07:24 AM
Addicted Member

Okay, it seems like Amichel can post. And I can post. Is everyone else locked out? What has happened to our merry bunch??

Is this website just dying? There don't seem to be a lot of active forums on KR these days, so it's not just us. Should we move all conversations to Facebook? It seems like a lot of people are very active over there. I'm not, but I could be talked into spending more time there. Or is there somewhere better to go? I miss the daily banter...
#9 of 24 Old 08-12-2016, 09:39 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Whew! I was quite worried I would be the only one left
#10 of 24 Old 08-15-2016, 06:51 AM
Addicted Member

Might just be me and you...
#11 of 24 Old 08-15-2016, 09:36 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Hmm - maybe it's time for a Facebook shout out?
#12 of 24 Old 08-15-2016, 09:56 AM
Addicted Member

Yeah, probably. Why don't you do it. I'm not too Facebook savvy... other than occasionally posting random 80s song lyrics...
#13 of 24 Old 08-15-2016, 10:42 AM

Likes Given: 5
I have nothing to report except that I was able to reset my password! Hi guys!

"And all our fears were in vain, a dream, just like the Lord said."
- Jack Kerouac, Desolation Angels

Yeah, I have a blog....
#14 of 24 Old 08-15-2016, 12:41 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
I had to reset my password again. Grr. Advertisement captchas suck too.

Not much to report, running wise. I've been testing the calf once a week and yesterday was the first day it didn't bother me. I ran 7.5 or so on the rail trail slowly and it felt pretty good.

The olympic running has been pretty fun to watch. It would be nice to know that it was all legit with no doping, but who the f knows anymore.

Hiya Moe!
#15 of 24 Old 08-15-2016, 01:26 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Hi all! Amy, thanks for the FB update about passwords. I was locked out, but am back in...and now I've got a Crowded House earworm.

Not much fitnessing here...I've misplaced my mojo, but I'm hoping I can get it back by watching the Olympics, running doping allegations aside. Other than that, I see many of you on FB, so while I feel very connected there, I miss this place. Y'all are good for my inspiration...

"The difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry blank."  ~ George Sheehan

#16 of 24 Old 08-15-2016, 01:38 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Looks like the fb shout was a good idea! Woot!
#17 of 24 Old 08-16-2016, 11:05 AM

Likes Given: 5
not only was it a good idea, but it made me go out and run a bit last night (despite the heat and humidity) for the first time in months. 2ish slow miles, with a rest break/walk here and there. I am continually surprised that I'm able to actually do a couple miles; seems I learned how to run even slower than my normal plodding. My quads are barking a bit today but I just came back from a lunchtime walk and they feel better now.

since I haven't been around much, I thought I might give you an update. Well, there isn't much that's new which frankly is just fine. I was nominated for another award for my costuming (for our reimagined as a 50s scifi B movie Rocky Horror Show, think bullet bras and petticoats), and Adam was nominated for sound design for a show he worked on (Bat Boy The Musical), and the gala is in a couple weeks. So I'm picking out an outfit for that. Been going to see a lot of music lately, which is always fun. And we had a great Cape vacation this year. That's about it.

Oh, well, I don't suppose I was posting then, but I was actually pretty sick in March, with gut issues/infections. Interestingly...once I got better (it took months!), I lost around 15 lbs and my skin improved a lot. So, note to all of you, take your probiotics and eat lots of fermented foods!

"And all our fears were in vain, a dream, just like the Lord said."
- Jack Kerouac, Desolation Angels

Yeah, I have a blog....
#18 of 24 Old 08-17-2016, 05:52 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
FINALLY.

Stupid lock out.

Been a busy couple weeks. I closed on my new little house and the boys and I are camping out in the kitchen while the living room and bedrooms are painted and carpet is ripped out. Literally, only furniture in the house is my mattresses on the floor in the kitchen. HA! I'm going to rearrange the kitchen appliances a little, and so haven't brought in any of my stuff - I have 1 spatula, 2 forks, a couple spoons, my chef knife, and a bunch of paper plates. The rest of my pots/pans/dishes/tools are in the garage. Actually, ALL of my stuff except my clothes and mattresses are in the garage.

Snort.

I bought a refrigerator last night (Samsung, fridge on top, cause the one here now is only nose high on me and has the freezer on top. Which means the fridge only hits at my waist, and it's really hard on my back for me to get anything out.) That gets delivered a week from Saturday. Tonight I was on the hunt for a gas cook top. (Because my handy guy got me a great deal on a freaking WALL OVEN!!! It's my dream appliance.) And... I need to find a dishwasher.

Anyway, being out of the other house is such a HUGE load off. I actually sleep now. It's amazing the difference.

Trying to get to yoga 6 days a week. Sometimes it's only 5. But I still had 33.5 hours in the hot room in July, so that's still pretty good. Speaking of, I need to have the boys out for last pee so I can be in bed at 9 so I can get up at 4:20 for class. That is such an obnoxious wake time but class is really a lovely way to start the day.
#19 of 24 Old 08-19-2016, 09:28 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
hi, hi. i also just finally made it back in. whew. glad to see some of you still around!

TGIF!!!

4:20. wow. sometimes i'm up then, too but for different reasons. and not by choice congrats on moving in, by the way! it must e delightful to be out and in your own place. wooooooooooot!

this weekend is AK's 6th birthday. we're having a party with 12 little girls at the house tomorrow and also a family party (very casual and low key) on sunday. but i'm already tired

i've been working out regularly.. either running or P90x. the other day i went on my first run with all 3 girls.. it was a bit of a **** show but i got in almost 3 miles soi'll take it! it was kind of scary but i witnessed a biking accident where hte girl flew over her handlebars and landed on her head. ugh. by the time i went over there to check on her, there were 7 other people there, one of whom was an EMT. i'm glad he was there b/c i realized that there wasn't too much i could do, not with a 3 mo old, 6 year old, and rambunctious dog on my hands. anyhow, the girl was moving and talking so i'm hopeful she is ok. it was scary to witness, though.

ok. i have a ton to get done..TTFN
#20 of 24 Old 08-21-2016, 02:55 PM
Addicted Member

Wow Missy, that sounds scary. I hope she's okay too.

Congrats on the new digs, Kath.

Glad to see a bunch of you guys back after a bit of an absence. I hope there are no more problems logging in. Although I still can't get myself an avatar...

Running? Well, I've got the New Haven Labor Day race in two weeks. This year they added a HM for the first time. I waffled about whether doing that or sticking with the 20k. (The courses are almost the same, except the HM adds a small out-and-back near the end). But I decided to go with the HM, after 12 straight years of doing the 20k. Whatever...

I also have to get my act in gear and register for a Fall marathon or two. Training has been a pain in the neck with all the heat and humidity lately. I slogged thru 14 miles yesterday. Not a great run, but I've had worse... We'll see if I'm ready for a marathon in six weeks...

Hope everybody had a good weekend...
#21 of 24 Old 08-22-2016, 12:47 PM
Special Member

Likes Given: 27
I can't use access as an excuse for not posting in a while. I've just been busy with work.

I've been running but they runs have been pretty sucky since mid-July (after vacation) and not as consistent as I'd like. I think a lot of it is attributed to the heat wave and running in the evenings rather than the mornings. Hopefully tonight will be better since it's cooler, although it was a hectic weekend so I'm pretty tired today. We had a "Celebration of Life" gathering for my Father-in-law with the relatives up here. We put up a table with pictures of him with the family and did a slide show with hundreds of other photos and friends and family came to remember him. It was nice but tiring.

Miss A starts school next week so I'm going to switch to morning runs again. I'm looking forward to it. My current project ends next Friday but luckily the next one allows me to work remotely from home again so I should be able to keep up the consistency this fall.

Sounds like everyone is doing well
#22 of 24 Old 08-25-2016, 04:47 PM
Addicted Member

Hey Theia, I just registered for the marathon in Portland too. Unfortunately, my Portland is about 3000 miles from your Portland. Nonetheless, I now officially have a marathon on the schedule for only 5 weeks from now. Yeesh...
#23 of 24 Old 08-30-2016, 07:36 AM
Addicted Member

What happened? Did everybody get frozen out again? Yeesh, August is almost over and we haven't even filled one page yet...

I managed 16 miles on Saturday. It was nice and comfortable early in the morning, but got warm as the sun came up. Still, I'm pleased with the result. I'm certain that I can make it thru a Half Marathon this coming weekend, and I will probably be able to slog thru a Full Marathon in a month... Unfortunately, I haven't run since Saturday. I took Sunday off, then felt amazingly tired after work yesterday. Today is softball practice. So no run until tomorrow, I guess. Once again, my training sucks...
#24 of 24 Old 08-31-2016, 04:29 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Not locked out, but not much to report - unless you want to hear about kids sport practices it's been stoooopid hot and humid here lately, but soon we will be complaining about it being cold, I'm sure!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page