July 11-16, 2016 - KickRunners.com

#1 of 17 Old 07-11-2016, 04:40 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
July 11-16, 2016

Whew. What a busy last week. Concerts, Olympic trials, that 10k race, two rounds of golf (shot 84 on a tough course, best score in a while). Sent a nephew away after a month long visit. Got Mila back for a while.

Ran 6.2 yesterday and 6.5 today. Well, 6.5 today had some walking breaks, so maybe 6.3.

I'm definitely in some kind of rut though. Work, house, etc. Just kind of sick of it all and I'm ready to go live in a van down by the river. I've got a ton of vacation time, but not much scheduled time off coming up.

So, what's up with y'all this week?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 07-11-2016, 10:21 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4
heeeeeeeellllloooo.

i've been down in so cal for the past 2 weeks and then we went on vacay in SD and then i was having password issues again.. and WHEW. but i'm here.

duck, i'm sorry you're down in a rut. i feel like this has happened before... that you've mentioned it before.. or is this still the same thing going on? can you schedule some time off?

katho, i seem to recall you had some good news you were waiting to share. spill it. hows the packing? is the back holding up ok?

heather, way to get through some hot and humid runs!! i'm so happy you're back on the wagon. good for you!

sorry bob. no advice on the avatar size!

i've been doing P90x with my sister daily. its.. just a way to get some cardio and strength. i don't hate it but i don't love it. i really want to get back out and hit the roads but its so darn hot here in so cal that if i don't get out first thing in the morning, it just doesn't get done. i don't know how ron does it.

anyhow, i've been loving all the extra help i have with the girls. its been great. i'm going to really miss my family when i go back home. boooooooooo.
#3 of 17 Old 07-12-2016, 06:07 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
Duck!!! Come see me!

Missy!!! I just need 1 more thing to fall into place and then I'll spill. I had cousins in town last week, and they helped move/pack/organize stuff 2 different days. I have a lot to do, but am pretty good shape. And trying to be smart about having good form and not lifting/moving anything heavy. Back - at the moment I ache & have muscle spasms in my right ribs. (it's always worse at the end of the day). But relatively speaking, it's better than it was a year, or even 6 months ago. Baby steps.

J has been using White Tiger liniment on me (along with Dit Da Jow and Zheng Gu Shui.) Right now I want a bath in the White Tiger. It really cuts the inflammation.

Ack. it's already past my bed time. Darnit. Working late really reduces my productivity.

#4 of 17 Old 07-13-2016, 07:54 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 27
Hey guys, been a very hectic work week for me. Client wanted to cut costs on 3rd change order to extend my team which meant we reduced the number of resources but it seems the customer has increased the amount of support they want, typical!

Since I ran Saturday and Sunday and am now running consistently for my 3+ miles I knew Monday should be a rest day...of course it was the least humid most beautiful day

Monday night my neighbor and our collective children went to the local pub for a fundraiser where our local funeral director and our pastor challenged each other for tips as guest bar tenders. Whoever had the least amount of tips had to shave their head. The funeral director had a nice full head of hair while Pastor Phil is thinning greatly, lol. Pastor won and at 8pm we all stepped outside into the alley to watch the shaving occur. They raised over 8k to go towards the church's youth mission trip. Gotta love small town living

Even though I was in bed normal time Monday night, I woke up Tuesday feeling like I had done an all nighter and as I looked out the window I saw that heavy layer of humidity that looks almost like fog. I said to myself, no way am I running in that and went back to bed. Of course I regretted it later when I saw that we were going to be in a heat wave the next 3 days!

Got out this morning at 7:30. It was 75 degrees with 75% humidity but lots of cloud cover. Didn't feel too bad and I got it done. I swear I sweat more than any runner ever!

Duck - you sound like my DH, he's in the same slump. I'm hoping that week at the beach next week helps him through it. Usually he feels like this in the winter but I think this year its due to the fact he hasn't been outside getting enough Vit D. Hope yours ends soon, I agree, take some time off and go on an adventure!

Missy - I get what you mean about P90x, that's how I felt about Insanity and T25. It serves a purpose but I got bored with cycling through the same workouts. I also can only tolerate the climate right now in the morning, so if I don't get a run in then, I'm not going to get it in period!

Katholeenie - take care of your back and can't wait to hear your news!

Stay cool everyone!
#5 of 17 Old 07-14-2016, 05:53 PM
Addicted Member

#6 of 17 Old 07-15-2016, 06:25 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1
Hi, everyone. Slow week, eh? Nice job on all the running, SR!

I haven't run very much since the marathon in Hawaii. (Please check out my Race Report, if you haven't already). First of all, that marathon got me very uninterested in running in the heat. And second, my left Achilles has been a little wonky for a while. Heck, it's been a little wonky for two months or more. It doesn't really bother me when I run, but it's just felt tight for quite a long time. I was hoping that taking some time off would let it get back to normal. But it doesn't feel like it's changed much. Oh well. So I started running again a couple days ago. I've done between 2.5 and 3 miles each of the last two days. I may do something similar again tonight. Tomorrow I'll run the Airport 5k that I do every year. I'll probably take it somewhat easy. I'd think about skipping it, but I've done it for 10 years straight (this will make 11), so I feel like I've gotta keep that streak going. Maybe after that I'll start doing longer distances again...

And it might be time to plan for the Fall. I'm leaning towards doing Portland ME on Oct 2 and Huntington WV on Nov 6. I think I can handle doing both. The latter is a 50 Staters reunion race, so if I have to pick only one, it'll likely be that one...

I hope everyone has had a good week. TGIF!
#7 of 17 Old 07-17-2016, 09:01 AM
Addicted Member

I finished that airport 5k yesterday. My time was 23:41, which is probably about what I was expecting. Conditions were very similar to what I faced in Hawaii a couple weeks ago: Temps in the low 80s, very sunny, not a bit of shade. But this wasn't too bad since it was only a 5k. It would have been very annoying to attempt 26.2 miles in those conditions again... Sooner or later it'll be time to register for more races...
#8 of 17 Old 07-17-2016, 06:39 PM
Addicted Member

Running in heat always sucked the life out of me Bob.

My friend Kristy (that I've known for 42 years) dropped everything to come help me pack this weekend. We didn't get anything done yesterday, AT ALL - ha ha ha! But we made good progress on packing up what's left of my pottery studio today, so that's something. And we got all caught up. It was good to have her here, but whoa, I'm beat.

Went to class this morning, and then got my back worked on (while Kristy stayed home and packed some stuff), and then came home and we we packed. And then talked, and then packed some more. Oh, and the handy guy came by to fix the 4 electrical things on the inspector's list. I'm beat.

Did I say that already? BEAT.
#9 of 17 Old 07-18-2016, 08:24 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

I don't feel like making a new thread yet, so I'm going to just re-use this one for now.

Nice job on the runway, Bob!

Kath, I'd love to come visit you! I don't think that's going to happen for a while though.

I jumped into a half marathon yesterday, woefully under-trained and 14 lbs over racing weight. Ended up running 1:43:15 with a walking break in mile 11. I reached mile 10 in 1:17:22 and it was about all I was prepared for, physically and mentally. Here's my splits for entertainment purposes: 7:37, 7:32, 7:35, 7:42, 7:37, 7:43, 7:51, 7:51, 8:01, 7:54, 8:58 (I guess I walked a minute or so after grabbing a drink at a water station), 8:03, 7:51, and about 1 minute for the balance. My toes hurt today and my body is just kind of sore all over. Kind of hard to believe I ran 1:29:33 (two miles difference!) on this same course a few years ago!

We worked on getting the area around the pole barn set up with electric fencing for the horses to use until we get the horse barn built. We also brought in a bunch of horse mats for their stall yesterday. Saturday night we took the kids and a couple of their friends to a movie in the park, that was fun.

Hope you all had a good weekend!
#10 of 17 Old 07-18-2016, 06:50 PM
Addicted Member

Hi Duck!

So. My house finally sold. I just heard this evening closing is the 28th. Still waiting on the appraisal for the little house I bought. I'm trying to close them both on the same day, because i have to be out of my house now at closing, but whoa, it's going to be close. Hoping to get access to the new house a couple days early so I can move my crap in (it's empty, so shouldn't be a problem.) But it just depends on the sellers.

So yah. A lot going on the last couple weeks.

No class this morning, but I'm planning to go tomorrow, so I should go to bed. Crap, I'm already almost an hour late. At least everything is packed and in my car, except my breakfast. That's in the fridge.
#11 of 17 Old 07-19-2016, 12:57 PM
Addicted Member

Okay, I guess we'll continue this thread...

Yay, Kath! I'm so glad to hear that the house is sold! I hope everything goes smoothly from here on...

Duck, that still sounds pretty speedy to me. My 5k pace wasn't much faster than your HM pace, so I think you're doing alright...

I haven't run more than 3 miles at a time since the marathon in Hawaii. I think it's time to start ramping back up. Well, summer softball ends this week, so I should have more time soon...
#12 of 17 Old 07-19-2016, 03:10 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Ran 5 at lunch today.

I'm going to try to diet. I need to look back into my notes to see what has worked in the past. I think if I cut out grains that will probably be enough to get me moving in the right direction, since that also forces me to cut out salty snacks for the most part. I think I will start that.... now.

Kath, fantastic news about the house! I hope the timing works out well for you. Did I tell you that my niece is quitting her job and moving to Chicago to be near her boyfriend? You are back to being my only reason to ever visit Toledo.
#13 of 17 Old 07-19-2016, 04:52 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 14
yay Kath!

Kris
#14 of 17 Old 07-20-2016, 09:24 AM
Special Member

woooooooooooot!!! hooray, kath!!! i'm so glad thats finally done. whew. congrats!!!! what a HUGE undertaking for you.

nicely done, duck! i know its slow for you but at least you got out there but, but salty snacks are the best!!!!!! heh. i'm trying to find a balance between eating reasonably (to sustain breastfeeding) while trying to lose weight. jeez. i think salty snacks are probably my culprit, too... dang it.

its hard to run in hot weather, bob. way to get it done to continue your streak.

hi bard!

we are back home and so its been a bit of an adjustment to having tons of help... to doing it alone. DH's work schedule has been mad crazy so its all me, all day (and night!) long. man, i know many of you have done it.. its hard! so we're slowly working to get in the groove. some fitnessing here and there - i've continued with p90X simply b/c its the only thing i have time for and can commit to and i've also gotten out for one run. hoping to make it a second by the weekend! happy days, all!
#15 of 17 Old 07-20-2016, 05:58 PM
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckgeek View Post
I think if I cut out grains that will probably be enough to get me moving in the right direction.
Even more reason to come visit me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy1102 View Post
woooooooooooot!!! hooray, kath!!! i'm so glad thats finally done. whew. congrats!!!! what a HUGE undertaking for you.
Thanks!

I'm not quite doneā€¦ there is still a ton to do. And I'm having a hard time finding able bodies to help pack and dissemble shelves over the next 5 days. Seems everyone I know is decrepit somehow, or out of the state, or has commitments they can't get out of.

Been awake since 1:30am, which is just waaay too long. Went to class cause I figured I wasn't sleeping anyway. Worked all day. Got a hair cut and did errands, laundry and sorted more crap. My garbage can weighs twice as much as me this week. Had to jump on it to get it to tilt back so I could roll it down the drive. OY. Anyway, I need to get to bed.
#16 of 17 Old 07-22-2016, 11:45 AM
Special Member

I HAVE A RUN TO REPORT.

lol.

1.55 miles this morning with AJ and bella. i'm still trying to get in the swing of running with a stroller and dog and poop bags and all that fun stuff.

oh, and i caught some pokemon while out there as well. might as well multi-task, no?

have a great weekend, all!!!
#17 of 17 Old 07-22-2016, 12:24 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

I've got a funny picture in my head of you trying to manage all of that, Missy!

I got out for 6 miles after work last night. Golfed 18 on Wednesday, but I cheated and took a cart, so that didn't count for anything.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page