6/27 through the Fourth! - KickRunners.com

#1 of 9 Old 06-27-2016, 06:03 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
6/27 through the Fourth!

HIYA!

Mondays are my only scheduled off day. Which is ok cause I had a ton of other stuff to deal with. Which I should be able to tell you about soon.

Class tomorrow morning. Apparently the local news is going to interview the owner in live segments starting at 5:15am Wednesday. They won't be in the hot room with us, but will be in the lobby filming with the window to the hot room in the back. Oh my.

It'll be great publicity for them, but can we say - literally - hot mess? HAHAHA!

Ok. Speaking of class, time to go to bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-27-2016, 06:40 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 14
Sheesh that password thing was a hassle. Of course it wouldn't have taken so long if I didn't have trouble remembering which email I used to sign up here. I have one email that I usually use for that stuff but I must not have made that one yet. At least it wasn't my defunct Hotmail account.

Anyway, I had to search old emails for any Kickrunners reference to see if I could figure out which email it was and in the process, found an email I had sent to myself with a bunch of links. Among other things, I found a link to my RR for my first ever HM back in April 2006, when we were still on Cool Running.

No running still these days but I did get back in the gym so it's a start. I joined Planet Fitness which is pretty low-frills but on the drive home from work and cheap. I will have to plan ahead but I can sign up for free individual sessions with a personal trainer (limited time slots, hence the planning ahead) so I want to do that to get some advice on how best to strengthen some of my weak areas so I can work my way back to running.

Kath- fingers crossed for the house stuff!

Theia- so sorry you have had such a rough several weeks. I hope all painful stuff is on the mend now.

Bob- congrats on the marathon. PW perhaps but finished and hopefully you all had fun in Hawaii otherwise.

Kris
#3 of 9 Old 06-28-2016, 08:52 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 27
Great job finishing Hawaii, Bob! Was it a beautiful course?

Good luck with all the house stuff Katholeenie!

Hi Kris!

I got in a nice run yesterday. My feet/ankles have been a little tight and sore on my runs so I used some KT Tape and it made a world of difference, but I don't want to have to tape up every time so I ordered some compression socks that have the KT therapy built in, or at least that's what they say. We'll see. No weird happenings on the trail (except me running it, haha) which is good too.

#4 of 9 Old 06-28-2016, 11:23 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1
Hi, guys. Keep up the good fitnessing!

We're still having fun here in Hawaii. And I'm still recovering from the race. I think I'm a little more sore than usual. Probably due to a little extra dehydration. But jeez, I felt like I drank 10 gallons of water and Gatorade. I don't think I could have put any more down, so I don't know how I could have avoided dehydration...

SR, as for whether it was a beautiful course... well, yes and no. There was a stretch that we ran on both at the beginning and end that was very beautiful. But there was also a stretch in the middle that looked rather desolate. It was on a highway thru a lava field, so it was interesting, at least (i.e. unlike anything I'd see at home). But it was a 9 mile stretch, and it all pretty much looked the same. And there was zero shade out there, so it was quite brutal. I wish the course had more views of the ocean, but so be it. I'm just happy to have this one done. Hawaii is probably the most difficult (and expensive) state for me to get to, so it's nice to have this one out of the way now.

By the way, we've been checking the news from back home, and there was a double homicide in our sleepy little suburban town a couple days ago. Details are still sketchy, but it seems as though a 27-year old guy fatally stabbed his mother and grandfather in the home they all shared. Sheesh...
#5 of 9 Old 06-29-2016, 07:17 AM
Special Member

What is the world coming to , too many psychos out there, Bob!

Running 9 miles through a lava field, ughhh. That had to be brutal.

Nice run this morning, it looked really humid out but it was about 65 out so it wasn't too bad, although I did run a little slower than yesterday.

Today is my Friday. Headed to the shore tomorrow (Avon by the Sea/Belmar for those who know New Jersey) to spend 2 days with a friend I've known since high school. Can't wait!! I'm going to run tomorrow morning before I go because I may be up too late tomorrow to get an early run in down the shore on Friday.
#6 of 9 Old 07-01-2016, 11:35 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Nobody has posted in a few days. What gives? Is everybody having trouble logging in again? I'm not having any trouble now...

Well, our stay in Hawaii is wrapping up. About 24 hours from now we'll be on a redeye headed back east. It's been a great trip...

One little running-related thing: I ran into a couple I know who live in the next town over from us. They're in their 60s and they're both very active in the 50 State club, so maybe it wasn't too surprising to find them at a marathon. But then we ran into them again today all the way on the other side of the island. Oh, and I also randomly ran into them in Tulsa OK when I did that marathon a bunch of years ago...

Here's another weird thing. We went to a luau a couple days ago and sat at a big table with another family. So of course we got to talking. Turns out they're from New Jersey also. But that's not the weird thing. They had a son about our daughter's age. Eventually we got around to comparing the kids' birthdays, and they were both born on the exact same day in the same year! Weird...

There are lots of other stories to tell from the trip, and maybe I'll get into some of them some time. But I'll only say one more for now. In the past, I've talked about some random encounters I've had with wild animals. Well, I had a new one today. We were hanging out at the beach not too far from our hotel here in Hilo. I was just hanging out in the water, not too far from shore, when a rather large turtle swam into me. He just bounced off me and then kept on going. That's a first for me...

Okay, I hope everybody is doing well back on the mainland...

Last edited by gatorbob; 07-02-2016 at 10:03 AM.
#7 of 9 Old 07-02-2016, 05:57 AM
Special Member

Haven't posted in a couple of days as I was down @Avon by the Sea in NJ visiting my friend from high school.

Got a 3miler in Thursday morning before I left and then we headed down. Spent the day on the beach and at the pool. Saw a poor girl get pulled to shore because her fin of her surfboard went straight into her thigh to the bone! It was awful.

Spent Thursday night bar hoping until 2 in the morning. Let me tell you, I do not have the stamina for that anymore! Yesterday we woke up late and took the Bikes into Belmar to see the cafe she and her husband own then grabbed lunch and stopped in some shops.

Today the kid and I are taking Boots for a walk on the trail and hopefully we'll get some pool time in.

Bob- love the stories, it's so cool when you meet people you know far away!
#8 of 9 Old 07-04-2016, 06:13 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
INSANE week, which I'll tell you about soon, and then my cousin from Virginia is in town from this past Friday to next weekend, so family stuff all the last 3 days. It'll ALMOST be a relief to go to work tomorrow. I shouldn't say that. I shouldn't have any family stuff for a few days, so I will be able to get some stuff done around this house that I need to.
#9 of 9 Old 07-05-2016, 10:59 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28
Combo of lurking and bad internet service at the lake for me. My schedule is all whacked out, and we are leaving for Vegas on Sunday, so there's not much point in trying to straighten it out until we get back!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page