30's 6/20-6/26 Welcome Summer! - KickRunners.com

#1 of 14 Old 06-20-2016, 06:42 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 27
30's 6/20-6/26 Welcome Summer!

I ended spring with a 3 mile walk on Saturday with Miss A and Boots and a 3 mile run on Sunday. Saturday's walk was a bit odd and resulted in a call to the township police department for suspicious activity.

As we were walking a young man, around 16 ran past us as fast as he could with blood covering his face, shirt and hands up to his wrists. As soon as he passed us he stopped. We had heard him say something to the people biking in front of us but couldn't hear what. At our turn around point we waited a bit to put distance between him and ourselves only to see him walking back. We decided to wedge ourselves between some other walkers and high tail it to the car. I called the police to report. It was very odd. Too much blood for a bloody nose and why would you run even faster if you had one. Plus as a guy, I would have taken off my shirt to clean myself up at the water fountain.
I did notice some police cars patrolling the entrances on my run Sunday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 06-20-2016, 10:55 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1
SR, that is suspicious indeed. I hope the kid was okay... and so was everybody he had come in contact with...

I did a 10 mile run on Saturday. I guess that's my last long run before the next marathon. Yeesh, just 6 days from now! How do they keep sneaking up so fast?

So I've been keeping my eye on the weather. It looks like Hawaii will be fairly warm and mostly sunny next weekend. Which is basically the forecast for every day in Hawaii. I guess I keep hoping that some freaky clouds will roll in on Sunday. But I did see a very interesting graphic on weather.com. It listed the highest temp ever recorded for each of the 50 states. Not surprisingly, the highest temp ever recorded in the U.S. was in Death Valley California, at 134 degrees. The closest any other state got was Arizona at 128. Most states outside of New England have hit at least 110. (New England states have reached the 104 to 107 range). Strangely enough, one state never to reach 110 is Florida (which has a high of 109).

But the weirdest thing is that there are two states who have never gotten above 100. (Topping out at exactly 100). Not surprisingly, one of them is Alaska. But the other? Hawaii. So Hawaii is actually tied for the coldest high-temp of any state. Weird... Anyway, while it may be warm for my marathon next weekend, I think I can safely assume that it won't get into triple digits...
#3 of 14 Old 06-21-2016, 08:26 AM
Addicted Member

Nobody's around this week? Or did Kick change everybody's password and nobody can get on?

We had our first softball game of the summer season last night. Last year, DD's team was young and inexperienced, and it showed in their 1-10-1 record. This year, most of the same girls are back, a year older and with a full year of experience. Last night we played a team that's a lot like we were last year. And we beat them 16-0, which is worse than we usually lost last year. Our team should be really good for this league...

So speaking of sports, congrats to the city of Cleveland for FINALLY getting that monkey off their back. That was a long time to go without a championship. So now apparently the city with the longest drought is San Diego, which had teams continually since 1969 and has never won. Buffalo has had teams since 1970 and has also never won, and Milwaukee hasn't won a title since 1971. So who's up next? None of those cities have teams that seem very close...

Okay, one last sports thing... I heard a very interesting tidbit about Golden State losing. This year's Warriors team had the most regular season wins in NBA history, but didn't win the championship. That just adds them to the list: The 2007 Patriots had the most regular season wins in NFL history (16), but lost the Super Bowl. The 1995-96 Detroit Red Wings have the most regular season wins in NHL history (62), but lost in the Conference finals. The 2001 Seattle Mariners and 1906 Chicago Cubs are tied for the most regular season wins in MLB history (116), but the Mariners lost in the ALCS and the Cubs lost the World Series. And the 2014-15 Kentucky basketball team had the most regular season wins in men's NCAA basketball history (31), but lost in the Final Four. It's weird that the best regular seasons in ALL of these sports ended without a championship...

#4 of 14 Old 06-21-2016, 10:08 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
Nice running, Bob, and good luck in HI. Those are interesting stats!

Saucon, that is some strange behavior! Hopefully everything was ok.

I was locked out and didn't want to deal with password stuff on my mobile devices, so I waited until I got back to the office today to do the password reset procedure.

Our DC/MI trip with the family was very successful. We've got Mila back from Germany, and we got a chance to see both elderly grandmas. I golfed 18 with 3 of my brothers on Saturday. We played the course where my nephew is the course superintendent. It's this gorgeous course in the middle of nowhere in Amish country about 20 miles south of Kzoo that costs about $75 per round. He says that most of the play comes from Chicago folks.

I didn't get a chance to run in DC, but we walked about 6 or 7 miles each day there. I did run on the KVRT river trail from my sister's house on Sunday morning. Got in around 6 miles and saw tons of cyclists and some runners. The trail goes close by to where those 5 were run down by the truck earlier this month, so I think a lot of the cycling community has been going near but avoiding the roads and staying on that beautiful trail.
#5 of 14 Old 06-22-2016, 05:13 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbob View Post
Nobody's around this week? Or did Kick change everybody's password and nobody can get on?
This.

I was going to create a 2nd account, but Kick finally recognized my email to send me a password, so here I am.

Uh… We have a purchase agreement; now I'm waiting to hear when inspections will be. This is the third go around, so hopefully this will go through. You may have seen on fb some of the work my cousin's husband has done on the house… We're trying to fix as much small stuff from the first (seriously nit-picky) inspection report, so this couple doesn't freak out. I was going to work on the basement tonight, but am so exhausted in every way possible I'm taking the night off.

SR - any word on that kid? that IS weird.

DUCK!!!! You were in MI?
#6 of 14 Old 06-23-2016, 07:37 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 27
I haven't heard back anything from the police so no updates on the kid on the trail. I also haven't seen anything in our local news sources.

Bob - All that weather stuff is actually pretty interesting. I know Maui is considered the "eternal spring" weather wise, not sure about the other Islands. I would think humidity might be a little higher but not to bad, and it will be soooo beautiful you may not even notice that you are sweating like ten whole men!

I had to run into NYC Monday night for an early morning client meeting Tuesday morning so didn't run Tuesday. Planned to run Wednesday morning but the Tuesday meeting made us have to meet again on Wednesday to strategize so I had to run in again that morning. Commuting days are long and running around the city in heels takes a toll on my legs so this morning I decided to give my legs and feet a few more hours and try and get my run in this afternoon.

Theia can't get back into kick and its not recognizing her email still. She's given up.
#7 of 14 Old 06-23-2016, 08:17 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28
I'm still around, just not much to report. Kids sports is my life right now although one of my friends says at our age, no news is good news!

Kath - hope third time is the charm!

Bob - completely jealous of Hawaii! Have a great time
#8 of 14 Old 06-23-2016, 10:40 AM
Special Member

I PM'd the admins about Theia and gave them her email addresses.

KATH! Yes, we were very briefly in Michigan. Came in on Friday night, Amy and the kids went up to Greenville. I stayed with my brother and another brother, then on Saturday we went near Centreville to play golf. Then we had a family dinner in Kzoo that evening. Amy and the kids came down for brunch on Sunday. After letting the kids play in my brother's pool for a while to tire them out, we headed back to Detroit and put Mila on a plane home Sunday evening. Monday morning the rest of us caught a 7 am flight. Whew!

Good luck on your home closing.
#9 of 14 Old 06-23-2016, 03:41 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckgeek View Post
I PM'd the admins about Theia and gave them her email addresses.
i did the same for ron. hoping our friends get back on SOON!

the girls and i are headed down to L.A. tomorrow for 3 weeks to stay with my parents. i figure, AK is out of school with no real plans and i can use all the help i can get with AJ.. so why not? my sister is in town and will drive us down.

not a lot of fitnessing around here.. i got in a good week of run/jogs but then sort of pewtered out. i plan on getting in more runs (mainly trails) once back in L.A.. also when i have constant childcare

sounds like a lovely trip, duck!

katho, third time is charm - i just know it!

hi heather and amy
#10 of 14 Old 06-24-2016, 04:05 PM
Special Member

Duck - if you are friends with the baseball coach moving to Purdue, feel free to pass contact info along if he needs housing or other guidance
#11 of 14 Old 06-25-2016, 05:04 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy1102 View Post
katho, third time is charm - i just know it!
I hope so.

Appraisal is tomorrow (just found out a couple hours ago) and inspection is Wednesday. And the house I made an offer on Thursday came back with a sucky counter and I kind of want to tell them screw you, but also found out today that my #2 house, that we were supposed to take a 2nd look at tomorrow, is under contract (already, between Thursday night when we looked at it and this afternoon.)

So we're going out to look at some others tomorrow. The problem is the pool of available houses that meet my basic requirements, in the area of town I want, that are in my price range, is VERY limited.

Oh, and my buyers get possession at closing. I'm probably going to end up homeless. Somehow I'm not all that worried about it.

Went to class this morning, plan to go again tomorrow morning. OH. And I finally got my forehead to my knee in the one pose. The balancing part of that pose is what makes it so freaking hard. MWA HA HA.
#12 of 14 Old 06-26-2016, 09:46 AM
Special Member

Go bob go!!!
#13 of 14 Old 06-26-2016, 03:00 PM
Addicted Member

Thanks, amichel! Well, it's done. And it's late enough on a Sunday back on the mainland, so none of you guys might see this until tomorrow. But the marathon is in the books. As expected, I got a new PW. I actually reached the halfway point in about 2:04, which might be the fastest first half I've done in a while. But I knew that wouldn't last. It was SUNNY and got rather HOT late in the race. Thankfully it wasn't terribly humid, or it would have been a lot worse. I did a lot of walking over the last bunch of miles, and my final time was 4:45:something. So be it. Despite the difficult conditions, I actually felt pretty good. At least up until the last mile or so when my stomach finally started to rebel against the 500 gallons of Gatorade that I drank along the way. So maybe it was hot and slow, but overall I felt good, and I'm quite happy about it.

I'll write more later, and eventually do a Race Report. But for now, I need a nap...

Last edited by gatorbob; 07-05-2016 at 02:39 PM.
#14 of 14 Old 06-27-2016, 10:54 AM
Special Member

Congrats on toughing out another one, boB!

No running to report for me. I took Scouts to the Oregon Caves National Monument and we did a little bit of very light hiking, otherwise I was just kind of babysitting and driving the 200 miles each way. The caves are very cool, and a very good value at only $10 for adults and $7 for kids.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page