• 1 Post By missy1102
  • 1 Post By amichel

#1 of 22 Old 03-07-2016, 01:12 PM - Thead Starter
Ron
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 22
30's remember to change your clocks 2016

Hi 30's I got in a good run yesterday. I ran 8.30 I am trying to slowly stretch it out. My back has been bothering me slightly which causes me to tire a little faster so I need to figure that out, but all is good. I also got in some good weight workouts this weekend. I hope to get a short run and some weights tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 03-07-2016, 03:20 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1
Nice run Ron.

Great job on the Tri, Theia!

It feels like Spring around here. I had a great 5 mile run in shorts and short sleeves. Woohoo!
#3 of 22 Old 03-07-2016, 04:09 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4
wooooooooot!!

sounds like we had some amazing weekend warriors!

a big shout out to boB and his 18 miler.. thats amazing. i think you're the only one here that is still going that long - kuddos!

theia theia theia!!!!! i'm so glad you got to do a triathalon. when is your next one?? your joy was palpable. amazing.

ron, you will def hit 30 this week! WOWSERS. for your back issue, how much core work do you do?

i tried to go out for a run yesterday - managed about 1.5 and threw in the towel. its becoming quite uncomfortable to run at this point.. i think that size wise i am as big now as i was with AK at 40 weeks so theres that, too. lol. i took bella out for a walk today and it started pouring so i tried to run, oh 300 yards or so and it was painful and pull-y and just blargh. so. there you have it, folks. i think this is the conclusion of my pregnancy running i made it to 33 weeks and it was nice while it lasted. i might try again but in the meantime, fast walking and hiking also gets my heart rate up and a good workout, too!

does anyone use a laptop that they recommend? mine is old and starting to die. i can't get it to shut off and then it wouldn't start up but DH took the battery out which got it to start up again but i think its on its last leg..

oh, katho! have you basically adopted the Little Guy???

#4 of 22 Old 03-08-2016, 07:42 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbob View Post
It feels like Spring around here. I had a great 5 mile run in shorts and short sleeves. Woohoo!
I am looking forward to that tomorrow! Today I am hoping to make it to TRX, but if not it will be a rest day. My legs are pretty trashed, and my knees are unhappy with me. Gee, I wonder why.

Saturday - 6.7 mile trail run
Sunday - race
Monday - a.m. boot camp, p.m. spinning

I need someone to remind me that I'm not a young person any more!

Thanks for the good feedback on the race. It was loads of fun, and although I'm nowhere near where I used to be it was nice to see that my starting point isn't as horrendous as I thought it was.

Nice running, Ron! And Missy, you are amazing!!!!!
#5 of 22 Old 03-08-2016, 05:52 PM
Addicted Member

Missy, I guess I hadn't considered that I'm the only one here still running those distances. Jeez, maybe it's time I grow up. Everybody else has moved on and has better things to do with their time. But I've still got 17 states to go... Yeesh...

7 miles outside this evening. Still got the nice weather going on. Yay for Spring...
#6 of 22 Old 03-09-2016, 08:17 AM
Special Member

Go Bob, go!!!!
#7 of 22 Old 03-09-2016, 12:15 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
You are the flag bearer, Bob! I'll try to get some longer runs in as we get more daylight and less rain.

6.5 miles on Monday (found a fitbit along the way, placed a Found ad on craigslist but no replies yet).

6 miles on the TM last night. That contraption has definitely helped me get my mileage up.

So much going on here at work. Our hoops team is fighting for a #1 seed (currently a solid #2), softball and baseball are highly ranked, track has indoor nationals and both teams are title contenders. We are wrapping up work at the new softball stadium in hopes of being ready for opening day on 3/24.
#8 of 22 Old 03-09-2016, 04:27 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy1102 View Post
its becoming quite uncomfortable to run at this point..

oh, katho! have you basically adopted the Little Guy???
a) Just NOW it's getting uncomfortable? OMG. You are nuts. And amazing.

2) Uh… I don't know how to answer this. No, but he seems to be on extended vacation at my house? I've had him for @4.5 months straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbob View Post
Jeez, maybe it's time I grow up. Everybody else has moved on and has better things to do with their time. ...
No. Don't.

If I could still run I would. I miss it a lot, and distance especially. But I'm too decrepit to keep on.

YAY Theia!!!! Did you say when your next one is yet?

GO DUCKS!!!

Bit of a rough end to our walk tonight. Thankfully I only had Oskar with me when that stupid dog charged. There is probably still a blue cloud hanging over River Road from where I cussed out his owners. Can we say heart attack? OMG. I'm more traumatized by it than Oskar. Getting stiffer too. Guess I got pulled more than I thought. Dammit. J just worked on me last night too.
theia likes this.
#9 of 22 Old 03-10-2016, 07:15 AM
Special Member

Agree with everything Kath said (except that she's decrepit... no... just no). And what is the deal with the dogs in your 'hood? Or more specifically the dog owners???

Next tri? Well, I am seriously considering trying an Olympic distance again. The one I'm looking at is June 4, which is WAY early in the season. Basically I should be in training NOW. Guess I should take my bike in a for a tuneup soon, huh? This would be my third Olympic; the first was in 2008, and the second was in 2011. It's time.

The weather is GLORIOUS! Why can't it always be like this???
#10 of 22 Old 03-10-2016, 11:43 AM
Addicted Member

It certainly sounds like you're ready for an Olympic tri, Theia. You seem to have the mojo going now.

You've got a good sports scene going on with the Ducks, Duck. Seems like the place to be. The Gators had that 8 to 10 years ago, when the hoops and football teams were winning championships. Umm, not so much now. Well, the softball team has won back-to-back titles, but that doesn't quite carry the same luster...

Don't worry, I don't plan on quitting this marathon thing. I may not be as good at it as I once was, but thankfully my body is holding up and still allowing me to do it. So I'll keep doing it.

Btw, I've been asked a few times recently where I'll do my 50th state. For a while, I was planning on making it Hawaii so that I could have a really special adventure for the last one. But since we're going this June (it'll be #35), it'll have to be something else. I'm thinking it might be nice to save something relatively local for the last one so that maybe I can convince some friends and family to hang out with me and celebrate. The closest states to me that I haven't done are RI, MA and MD. Since I'll probably never get into Boston, I'm thinking Newport RI might be a good finishing spot. So right now, the Newport Marathon in Oct 2020 looks like about the right time and place. Mark your calendars!
#11 of 22 Old 03-10-2016, 11:55 AM - Thead Starter
Ron
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 22
Morning 30's I got in 5 earlier today and hope to lift later. My daughter is running the 1600 today so that should be fun.

missy I do work my core I just have a bad back from squats I did for years along with playing golf.

theia you are young never stop what you are doing.

Bob Spring weather is the best weather.

Duck nice running.

Kath 4.5 months seems like more than an extended vacation.
#12 of 22 Old 03-10-2016, 03:00 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
Bob, we often use Florida (among others like Texas, Washington, etc.) as examples of programs that were not able to sustain lofty achievements over long periods of time. It is a major topic around here, especially since we only sponsor 19 sports. In my 15 years here we have had a really good run in a number of sports.

6.2 miles at lunch for me today. It was pretty good overall.

Yesterday we met with our barn builder to talk about a 2-stall horse barn for Amy. He said they had a year's worth of work, but that they would get us in since we are repeat customers.
#13 of 22 Old 03-10-2016, 03:55 PM
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theia View Post
Agree with everything Kath said (except that she's decrepit... no... just no). And what is the deal with the dogs in your 'hood? Or more specifically the dog owners???
I really am decrepit.

I don't know what the deal is with the owners. I live in a nice section of town, but people obviously trust their inadequate training too much.

Went to yoga this morning to see if that would help, but have still been stiff, nauseous, and uncomfortable all day. Luckily J is going to work on me again tonight.

Oskar is cautious when we walk down the street and he sees/hears someone/something he doesn't know. Understandably. Sigh. More socializing, more out and about.

In happier news, I'm straining the limoncello. It probably needs to age/mellow a while longer (as in several months… I haven't tasted it yet to know for sure, but based on the proof and other liquors I've made, it's a good guess.) But it's on it's way. Mwa ha ha.
#14 of 22 Old 03-11-2016, 05:59 AM
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckgeek View Post
Bob, we often use Florida (among others like Texas, Washington, etc.) as examples of programs that were not able to sustain lofty achievements over long periods of time. It is a major topic around here, especially since we only sponsor 19 sports. In my 15 years here we have had a really good run in a number of sports.

I guess it depends on your definition of "long periods of time". UF football stunk in 2013, and that ended a streak of 32 straight years with a winning record, including 3 national championships and 8 conference championships. Personally, I'd consider that "lofty achievements over long periods of time", and there aren't a whole lot of schools that match a streak like that. But it did end, so it was not sustained. Basketball has been more up-and-down over the years of course. But still, 2 national championships, 5 Final Fours, and 8 Elite Eights over the last 22 years is a pretty good streak also. Not too many schools can match that either. And NONE can match the success in both sports. (No other school has more than one championship in both sports in HISTORY, much less in just the last 10 years). So I think all this counts as sustained success. But alas, all good streaks come to an end eventually, and nobody can sustain success forever...

Other sports? The Gators are the two-time defending softball champs and the three-time defending gymnastics champs. The softball and baseball teams are both currently undefeated and ranked #1. Heck, UF has even won 3 indoor and 2 outdoor track championships in the last 6 years. The school still is having some athletic success...

You say that Oregon "only" has 19 sports. (I looked it up, and Florida has 21). Is 19 really unusual for a Power 5 conference school? I really don't know too much beyond football and basketball, and maybe baseball (and now softball, since DD plays).

Aaaaaaaaanyhoooo, I did a 7.2 mile fartlek run yesterday. I felt really good... until about two hours later. Yesterday was nearly 80 degrees during the day, and about 75 when I ran. Record warmth, but it felt great for running. After the run, I went home, ate and drank, and settled in to watch TV. About two hours after the run, my left leg seized up with a nasty charley horse. Dang, it hurt like heck. It's still a little sore this morning. Maybe that record warmth dehydrated me more than I thought...
#15 of 22 Old 03-11-2016, 10:40 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4
katho, boooooooo on the loose dog AGAIN. what the heck is wrong with people. the other day we were at a market (we walked there) and i had her unleashed as i was unwinding her leash from the crate i had tied it to, two dogs and their owner approached. all i said was stay and she stayed, even unleashed. the other dogs, meanwhile, strained at the end of their leashes to get to her and the owner was like, "WHOA! how did you do that? your dog is so well behaved!!" uhm, no. shes just trained. ALL DOGS ARE TRAINABLE!

duck, it must be nice to have such excellent sports teams. makes rooting for and watching the games more fun. lol. DH is a die hard lakers fan and while we had our hay day, its pretty pathetic these days.

ron, how did DD do in the 1500?

theia, olympictriolympictriolympictri it makes me so happy to hear you are fitnessing strong and healthily!

boB, newport would be an amazing place to finish your 50th state! i love newport.

4 miles this morning. i ran.. maybe 2/3 of it? so i guess its a day by day sort of thing. and because it is, i find myself savoring every run that i get in! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT! theres a local 5k benefiting our school district tomorrow and bella, AK, and i will go out and see how the day goes.
theia likes this.
#16 of 22 Old 03-11-2016, 04:59 PM
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy1102 View Post
katho, boooooooo on the loose dog AGAIN. what the heck is wrong with people. the other day we were at a market (we walked there) and i had her unleashed as i was unwinding her leash from the crate i had tied it to, two dogs and their owner approached. all i said was stay and she stayed, even unleashed. the other dogs, meanwhile, strained at the end of their leashes to get to her and the owner was like, "WHOA! how did you do that? your dog is so well behaved!!" uhm, no. shes just trained. ALL DOGS ARE TRAINABLE!
RIght. I have no problem with dogs off leash who listen. Its just that I seem to run into the ones who don't.

J worked on me last night. Seems like he didn't do much, but what a difference. Nausea was gone after about 10 minutes, I could breathe…. Slept like a rock last night, and was able to lay on either side or my back without pain ripping through me somewhere. (Sadly that's rare.) YEEHAW. I'll take it!

No finessing today. Probably be in bed by 9. Planning to go to the 730 class tomorrow.

Oh. And Missy, I don't exactly know how to answer your question from the other day. I haven't adopted the Little Guy, though I've had him for 4.5 or something months straight. Technically he belongs to J. It's complicated.
#17 of 22 Old 03-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Addicted Member

Seriously, politicians (or their campaign people) should NOT call me at home.

Um… Went to class this morning. Had a nap (decrepit) and now am trying to clean up my kitchen a bit. Have an open house tomorrow, and I want to have things basically ready so all i have to do is sweep when I get back from morning class.
#18 of 22 Old 03-13-2016, 05:58 AM
Addicted Member

Happy Sunday morning, everyone. Did y'all remember to change your clocks, like Ron wrote in the thread title?

Good luck with the open house, Kath.

I went out for 20 miles yesterday but didn't quite make it. After a few weeks of good long runs, yesterday's was a little bit of a struggle. It was 43 degrees when I started my run, but it was almost 60 when I was done. That's not all that hot, but the sun was really wearing on me at the end. I wasn't feeling great, so I quit after 18.3 miles. It's not 20, but I figured it's good enough. I still have time to get in a 20+ miler before the marathon. Meh, you can't win 'em all...
#19 of 22 Old 03-13-2016, 09:30 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28
Hoping to run today, but it's pouring. I'm going to wait a few hours to see if it clears up before I resort to the treadmill. I don't hate the treadmill, but it's not quite as mind clearing as running outside!
#20 of 22 Old 03-13-2016, 02:37 PM
Special Member

Bob, 18+ on a rough day is a win as far as I'm concerned. Kath, naps rock. Amichel, hope you were able to go out. Missy, you are a rock star!!! Hi everyone else!

My trail 12k was today. Most brutal course I have ever run. There was walking... Everyone was walking up this one ridiculous hill. Like, straight up. Omg. The ensuing downhill was so steep that I feared for my life and walked a bit too. Other than that it was a series of ups and downs on trails I am familiar with. I finished in 1:20 and change, about 10:45 average pace.

Did you guys know USATF now does what USA Triathlon does and uses birth year only? So I was in the 50-54 age group. F*cking what??????? If they had used my acual age, I would have placed third and won a cool pint glass.
#21 of 22 Old 03-13-2016, 04:32 PM
Addicted Member

THeia - WTF???

I did a double today. Sounds like there were 2 couples who are in love with my house, both came to the first open house and again today. Now if one of them would just make an offer. OY.

I'm pooped.
#22 of 22 Old 03-13-2016, 06:13 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28
Psst - I ran/walked 5k on the treadmill tonight and a) did not die & b) did not take a new personal worst time.

Toot toot, that's my own horn friends
katholeenie likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page