30s Year in Review - KickRunners.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gatorbob

#1 of 13 Old 12-29-2015, 07:51 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
30s Year in Review

These will change since there are a few days left in 2015, but I thought I'd get us started nonetheless.

2015 Totals
Run = 837.1 miles
Bike = 535.9 miles
Swim = 22.8 miles

Plus 87 classes taught and 70 workouts on my own (weights, core, etc).

Not too shabby!

Last edited by theia; 12-31-2015 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Updated totals as of 12/31/15!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 12-29-2015, 08:20 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

I forgot to add my burpees! To date, I have done 1,974 burpees in 2015. You'd better believe I'll squeeze in at least 26 more before midnight on Thursday.
#3 of 13 Old 12-29-2015, 10:44 AM
Ron
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 22
Morning 30's it is nice to be off work and enjoy the family and relax. I am also getting workouts in. I lost some of my mojo last week because of some stomach issues but I am fine now.

I am not sure how many weight workouts or number of miles run but I will post my bike and swim miles. Both are zero.

Hola theia!!!

#4 of 13 Old 12-29-2015, 06:00 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1
Hiya, guys. Well, I've tied Ron in a couple of categories. With a couple days left, here are my mileage numbers for 2015:

Running: 1155.5
Biking: 0.0
Swimming: 0.0

I did manage to survive a 20.5 mile run on Saturday. And I did 8 speedy miles yesterday. I may add 10 more miles or so before the end of Thursday. We'll see.

So I guess now I taper until Houston. I suppose I'll be able to complete 26.2 miles, but if these last few long runs are any indication, I'll hit the wall hard and really struggle over those last few miles. So another new PW is quite likely. Well, so what. As long as I finish #33, I guess I don't care...
#5 of 13 Old 12-31-2015, 09:39 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Ron and Bob, we need to get some crosstraining into your lives.

2,015 burpees done in 2015. BOOM!

Happy New Year, everyone.
#6 of 13 Old 12-31-2015, 11:00 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
Happy NYE, peeps! I've had kind of a stinker of a week, health wise. I got the crud about a week ago and had the sore throat, congestion, cough, etc. Sleeping was rough because I'd have coughing fits. Then a couple of nights ago I couldn't sleep laying down, so I slept in a chair in the living room. Woke up with a goopy eye. By the next morning it was both eyes. I took the kids skiing, and it got progressively worse through the day and by evening my eyes and surrounding tissues were all inflamed. Went to urgent care and the doc didn't want to get close to me! So they sent me across the street for antibiotic drops. That has helped quite a bit, but it looks like I'll need to be taking them for a few more days, maybe up to a week. Still have remnants of the crud as well.

So December has been a bad ending to the year as this recent spate of infection plus the earlier hamstring, rib cage and calf issues have prevented me from doing much of anything. Maybe that hard effort in the November half knocked my body's resistance down as much as a hard marathon would in me younger days.

But, I guess I should be somewhat happy with my year as a whole. Two decent half marathons and a pretty good 10k in between. Lots of golfing in the mid to late summer and I got my groove back there. I didn't cycle nearly enough and I didn't get in any wilderness hiking trips. I think I'll join a gym for 2016 and see if I can get really fit again.

One of my favorite 2015 memories will be the time spent with 30s peeps in Kalamazoo.
#7 of 13 Old 12-31-2015, 02:13 PM
Addicted Member

Oof, Duck. I hope you feel better soon...

I got in 5 more miles yesterday to bring my total for the year to 1160.5. No run today, I guess. But I'll try to do a 5k tomorrow. (The Hangover Run). Good way to start the year, I think...

And hoo boy, I just registered for the Kona Marathon in June. I guess we're really going thru with this trip. It's gonna be expensive! And it's supposed to be quite hot too (typical temps in the 80s, even though the race starts at 5:30am). I don't tend to do well in hot marathons. And wow, I'm not even drunk...
theia likes this.
#8 of 13 Old 01-01-2016, 06:47 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28
Happy New Year!

I asked DH if he wanted to travel to Bob's June marathon, but he knew all the neighboring states were finished and didn't fall for my trap! He's unwilling to go on that long of a flight, so far!
#9 of 13 Old 01-01-2016, 12:05 PM
Addicted Member

Hah, Amichel! I think you need to spend some more time convincing him! Besides, a trip to Hawaii would be more interesting than a trip to some "neighboring state" like Illinois or Kentucky!

Anyhoo, I started my year off with a 5k race. I finished in 22:35, which I guess is as good as I could expect, considering I have somehow become a fat old man. The preliminary results show that I came in 103rd overall out of 867, so that sounds fairly good. On the other hand, the guy who finished directly ahead of me (i.e. 102nd place) came in second in the M65-69 age group. So there are still people plenty older than me who are faster than me. Plus, I was directly behind this guy for much of the race. It was barely above freezing, and he was running shirtless. I really didn't need to see that much of a 65-year old shirtless guy...
#10 of 13 Old 01-01-2016, 04:12 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckgeek View Post
One of my favorite 2015 memories will be the time spent with 30s peeps in Kalamazoo.
I was just going to say I'd rather not rehash 2015, but this is a good memory.

It's been a rough year for a lot of reasons. On the plus side though, I've been doing yoga at least 4x/week for the last 5-1/2 months, and got the end the year with a lovely last class that finished right at midnight. A bunch of people cancelled, so there were only 4 of us, but it was perfect - only had 3 lights on in the room, had soft music playing, she led a basically silent class (only indicating when to start/change poses), and it was really intimate and calming. Perfect for the mood I was in and EXACTLY what I needed at that moment.

The funny thing is before class none of us (my favorite instructor Tim; his wife Rachel - also an instructor, and who led the class; and my co-worker Michelle) knew how this class was going to go, because we were starting an hour after all of us are usually asleep. And we were all dehydrated for various reasons. But after class even Tim and Rachel said WHOA, that was an awesome class.

Anyway, after class we had a drink and hung out a bit and everyone went home. All 4 of us were back for the 9am class this morning, so got to end and start the year with great classes.
#11 of 13 Old 01-02-2016, 01:18 PM
Addicted Member

Yeah, Kalamazoo was a lot of fun. Even if it was my PW.

I ran another 3.1 miles today (so just about another 5k). It wasn't planned; my route just worked out that way.

By the way, I want to bring up something from yesterday's race. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? The race starts and ends in a park, and the route takes a winding path. It's on a road, so it's fairly wide. But there were over 800 runners, so it was still crowded. At one point, the road is making an S-curve. So I try to take the tangents, which means going from one side of the road to the other. No big deal, right? That's how we're supposed to run in a race, right? At least that's how they measure the course. But at one point, I'm running next to a woman who apparently just wants to run along the white line in the middle of the road. I'm trying not to run her over, but she seems to speed up if I speed up, or slow down if I slow down. So I can't do the tangents right. Finally at one point, she mumbles (loudly), "Jeez, dude, stop crowding me out".

So okay, who's at fault here? Me for taking the tangents, or her for following the shape of the road? In the end, it was no big deal. Nobody got hurt or anything, and we eventually got separated and I never saw her again.

I guess my question is: What is the etiquette for tangents in a crowded race? Most people probably don't even understand what that means...
#12 of 13 Old 01-03-2016, 11:54 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
Bob, I almost always run tangents. I don't really care what other runners are doing as long as I'm not impeding them.

I ran for 40 minutes on the track yesterday. Everything seemed to be working ok, but my calf is faintly sore today. We might buy a treadmill today. Dicks has the Sole F63 for $850.

Kath, how has the yoga impacted your physique so far? Are you feeling stronger, more balanced, etc? Im thinking of maybe starting a daily routine, maybe at home, maybe in class.
#13 of 13 Old 01-04-2016, 07:37 AM

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 5
Happy New Year peeps!

Well, I failed to run my Jingle Bell 5K, lo those many weeks ago. I was, in fact, very sick that last time I posted (12/18!), with a fever etc, and definitely couldn't run the race. I managed the virtual Festivus 5K though, on 12/23! And have been pretty consistent since then with getting in at least 20 mins of something every day (or about 6 days a week.) I went for a 2 hour hike yesterday, which I wished I'd done a bunch more often over the holidays but alas.

Adam came down with the ick I had on Christmas night, so we had a unplanned, very low key couple of weeks. I was a bit sad about it since we had a bunch of fun stuff we'd wanted to do, and did next to nothing. Ah well.

Duck, Adam also came down with pinkeye. I had a horrific bout of eczema on my face and at one point, I texted my sister with a pic and said, "if we'd arrived at Ellis Island, they wouldn't have let us in." It was pretty awful. I had to beg an emergency appointment from my dermatologist, my face was so bad. Anyway, it's all good now that I've got an Rx and some advice. But good grief, it was ugly.

boB, Hawaii will be great, even if your race isn't!

Kath, I'll cross my fingers on your house stuff.

KJ, hugs to you.

Missy, did you need snow tires?

Amichel, no worries, happy new year!

Ron, are you feeling better?

GO GO GO Theia! I have no idea what my totals were. Besides very very few.

"And all our fears were in vain, a dream, just like the Lord said."
- Jack Kerouac, Desolation Angels

Yeah, I have a blog....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page