30's Nov 16-22 November spawned a monster - KickRunners.com
 6Likes

#1 of 29 Old 11-16-2015, 08:35 AM - Thead Starter
Ron
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 22
30's Nov 16-22 November spawned a monster

Morning 30's I had some good workouts and I am feeling more motivated than I have been the past couple of weeks. I should be able to get some good mid week workouts in this week and next week I am taking off so there are no excuses. I am going to end the year in good shape if it kills me.
theia likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 29 Old 11-16-2015, 09:04 AM - Thead Starter
Ron
Special Member

I didn't mention that my daughters XC team is advancing to the CIF finals. It is the second round of playoffs and the last before state. The wife and I are going to Las Vegas with some friends after the meet so I was hoping for an early time. They just posted the times and they are running in the first race at 7:45am and it is about a 45 minute drive. I guess I should watch what I wish for.
#3 of 29 Old 11-16-2015, 09:38 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
Ron, how much do I love you for the Morrissey reference???

Like you, I had some awesome workouts to end the week (after almost no workouts during the week because of illness). Yesterday's trail run was absolutely glorious. I kept adding on and trying new trails because I was having so much fun. Everyone I saw was super friendly, and I ran into two friends who were mountain biking toward the end of my run. They are just filled with positivity and goodness, and I smiled the whole way back after seeing them. I have decided that I'm definitely going to go for a marathon, probably Glass City, and I am going to have a good attitude about it. By the time I do it, it will be nearly 11 years since my first and only marathon, so my goals are:

- finish
- finish a wee bit faster than the first one
- have a good attitude during training and on race day, no matter what happens
- ENJOY the training and be thankful that I can do this

That's it. No time goal, no pressure. Just run because I can and because I'd like to do one more marathon and improve on my first one. It's one of the things I will do before I turn 50 next October. Or, as I like to call it, 40-10.

#4 of 29 Old 11-16-2015, 04:40 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4
hello, hello!

ron, you are killing it. i love it. keep it up! and a HUGE congrats to your daughter's XC team - making it to CIF finals are no joke!! is she excited??

theia, i am so happy to hear that you are running well and thinking about a full. that is fantastic!!!! its been 6 years since my last full and i know the struggle it is just to get back to THINKING about a full.. you GOT THIS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katholeenie View Post
How is your dishwasher, Missy? Didn't have one at the old house, and HATED it.
BAH. the appliance repair dude came last tuesday and said the motor was broken. this is on a 2 month old bosch dishwasher. we paid $$$ for that thing so that is disappointing. we're just waiting for the parts.. at least its covered under warranty. but yes, its all hand washing around here! i find myself reusing dishes/glasses so thats a good thing, right?

moe, i'm sorry your co-workers are acting like jr highers. i mean, seriously. didn't we outgrow that by now? if you have an issue, speak up. if not, don't act like an ass hole!!!! totally shitty behavior. i'm sorry.

we had a fun time in vegas and got back late last night. AK really enjoyed herself.. we took her to see a cirque du soleil show, zarkana, which she can't stop talking about and we also did a few other fun kid-friendly things. shes so much fun to travel with..

ron, where are you guys staying? what is on tap for your visit? are you and DW big gamblers? i have to say that next time i still rather leave AK at home so i can truly enjoy what vegas has to offer
#5 of 29 Old 11-17-2015, 07:24 AM - Thead Starter
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's yesterday I had to stay at work longer but I was expecting it, but tonight I should be able to get something in.

Theia I have been trying to incorporate a song reference that has the name of the month in it, but I don't think it is all that obvious all the time. Next month should be fun.

missy my daughter is excited but she is having some pains in her calf. She is not going to decide if she will be running on Saturday yet. I looked up the times for the teams and their team is right on the border of going to state if they all finished with the same times. They are taking the top 7 teams (they are in a tough section so the take more teams) in the finals to state and their time was 8th best out of the teams that qualified. We have run the Mt Sac course many times so I hope that helps to move us up one spot then it will be off to state. We don't have any individuals that stand out they are all pretty good. Last year they had the girl that won state and one that finished 4th (they were sisters) in our division but they are stronger as a team this year.
#6 of 29 Old 11-17-2015, 07:26 AM - Thead Starter
Ron
Special Member

Oh I guess I have a lot to say to missy. We normally stay on the strip but a friend wanted to see Norm McDonald and he is playing at South Pointe so that is where we are staying. I am not the gambler I once was I just like to take in the sights and walk around more these days. I will get on a couple of workouts too. We are normally in bed early but we are going to try at stay up at least one night.
#7 of 29 Old 11-17-2015, 12:40 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
Hey peeps,

6.2 miles in yesterday (windy) and I'll get something in this afternoon (WINDIER).

Congrats to your daughter, Ron.

Yay Theia!!

Boo to washing dishes by hand, Missy.

Our football team has come alive, so the last two games of the season should be interesting. If Cal somehow knocks Stanford out (doubtful) this Saturday and we can finish strong, then some good things could happen.
#8 of 29 Old 11-18-2015, 07:11 AM - Thead Starter
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's I lifted last night while my son was at his last soccer practice of the season. Tonight I should be able to lift and run. Nothing else exciting going on here.

Nice run Duck!!!
#9 of 29 Old 11-18-2015, 11:17 AM
Special Member

ron, i think its incredibly smart and mature of your daughter to wait and see. i would think that a lot of girls her age would be caught up in the excitement of CIF finals and run it just because! i'm sending some good vibes for her calf to cooperate...

i know what you mean about just walking around vegas. AK and i did the entire strip one day.. so, close to 6 miles of walking one day! it was a lot of fun. we started early at 8:30am and wow, the vibe is different at that hour

duck, by "good things" are you referring to the rose bowl? or some other bowl? i have no idea. my football knowledge sucks.

3.65 miles this morning with bella on a gorgeous morning. i hadn't run a certain part of the trails in a while since we've had some rain and i turned the corner and was surprised to see it all green!! i've never seen grass along the trail thus far.. and it was a pleasant surprise. i actually bent down to stroke it. i've missed grass. LMAO.
bard73 likes this.
#10 of 29 Old 11-18-2015, 04:00 PM
Special Member

Heh.

Yes, Rose Bowl is a very outside possibility. If we win out and the 'furd loses to Cal and we can beat the south division champs (Utah) and... Hopes aren't up, but it would be nice to just finish the season strong and end up in the top 15 of the rankings to keep our streak alive.

Didn't get out to run yesterday, but had a nice 6.5 today. Timed the weather perfectly by going out a little bit earlier than my regular times.
#11 of 29 Old 11-19-2015, 05:56 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1
Howdy, everyone. Gee, I haven't posted in a while...

Congrats to your daughters' team, Ron.

Yay for the decision on the marathon, Theia. Have fun!

Let's see... I ran 12.5 miles on Saturday. Felt pretty good, but still a long way from marathon shape. I did finally buy my planet tickets to Houston. I had been hoping that airfares would go down, but they hadn't budged in weeks. Now I was afraid that they might go up...

Yesterday I did a little over 6 miles of fartleks at the track, and that put me just over 1000 miles for the year. With 6 weeks left, I'll probably fall a little shy of 1200. No wonder I struggle in marathons. That mileage just isn't enough...

Duck, I don't care what Stanford does against Cal, I just want them to beat Notre Dame. ND would be our biggest obstacle to making the playoffs, if we somehow win out. Of course, I don't expect us to win out. I wouldn't be shocked if we lose to FSU, even with the game at home. Then I expect us to get thoroughly trashed by Alabama. But hey, might as well hold out hope! Even if we lose both games, this year has gone a lot better than I expected, so I'm thrilled...
#12 of 29 Old 11-19-2015, 07:24 AM - Thead Starter
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's last night turned out to be just a short run but it felt great and was just enough to let me know that I need to run more.

missy I know what you mean about getting excited about seeing green on a run. Sometimes it is just weeds but it looks more alive than dirt.

Duck crossing my fingers for Oregon.

Bob I will root for Florida too.
#13 of 29 Old 11-19-2015, 11:26 AM

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 5
howdy peeps!

I wish my comeback was more successful, but man I hate the fall and its dark days. I don't feel like doing anything but sit on my couch. Blerg. Hopefully a few days off next week will motivate me to get outside a bit.

Nice running from the rest of you though! And Theia, I'm very excited for you!

My father's wedding is Saturday. I am very happy for him, but it's sort of bringing up my mother's death again in a way I hadn't expected. Also, I haaaaaate the reading they asked me to do! Ugh. And this is the 3rd or 4th time I've had to do a reading at a ceremony for my family, and my sister has had to do none...because I'm the "theatrical" one. Um, I'm a costumer! I'm happy to dress you!

"And all our fears were in vain, a dream, just like the Lord said."
- Jack Kerouac, Desolation Angels

Yeah, I have a blog....
#14 of 29 Old 11-19-2015, 12:04 PM
Special Member

Moe, dress up as your sister!

Short run at lunchtime today. Maybe 6k or so. I think I'm tapering.
theia likes this.
#15 of 29 Old 11-19-2015, 04:57 PM
Special Member

Or dress her up as you! Even better!
#16 of 29 Old 11-20-2015, 06:45 AM
Special Member

Likes Given: 27
Hey guys!

Nice work everyone! I miss the trails, Theia! With the early darkness and my commute I can't get to them during the week. Hopefully I will be hitting them this weekend though.

Since my commuting schedule is the suck and I really want to see Katholeenie, I have created a 24 week (now 22 week) half marathon training schedule to bring me to Glass City the first 12 weeks are just to build my base slowly knowing that Tues-Thurs every other week will need to be free or very short treadmill workouts since I get up at 4:45 am to get into NYC and get home at 7:30-8pm the weeks I commute.

The structure is good for me too, I hope! I had a couple of weeks where I didn't run at all before I came up with this schedule. I'm happy to report it didn't affect my fitness and my pace has been pretty good lately.

Yesterday was a very rainy 3.5 miles but it was so warm I couldn't resist, I was in shorts and a t-shirt on November 19th, that is crazy!
katholeenie likes this.
#17 of 29 Old 11-20-2015, 08:10 AM - Thead Starter
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's last night I lifted then got short run in until nature made its call so I stopped at 21 minutes then my motivation was gone. Better than nothing I guess. I have next week off and we are going to Las Vegas after the XC meet tomorrow so let's get this day over with. I am hoping to get some workouts in while we are gone too.

Moe have fun at the wedding.

Duck I think I am tapering too.

Morning Theia and SR!!
#18 of 29 Old 11-20-2015, 09:34 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1
Howdy again, folks. I meant to bring this up earlier in the week... Did any of you guys see this story? (Can't get a link to work, so....)

http://espn.go.com/olympics/trackand...oe-deal-brooks

The guy who holds the record for the "beer mile" just signed a shoe deal. That's awesome. Have any of you guys ever attempted a beer mile? Or even know someone who has? I love running and I love beer, so naturally I'd like to try it. But I have a funny feeling that I might not love running and beer AT THE SAME TIME.

I don't know how long it would take me. This guy can run a 4:15 mile and did a 4:51 beer mile. That's just 0:36 for drinking. I really doubt I could come anywhere close to that. I bet a beer mile would take me like 12 or 13 minutes. Some day I might need to hit the track and find out...
sauconRunner likes this.
#19 of 29 Old 11-20-2015, 09:50 AM
Special Member

Bob, you may need to do a beer mile on the sly if you're using a school track. Most schools are booze-free zones, as far as I know.

Saucon, I can't do the trails during the work week either, and I have only a 4 mile commute so don't feel bad. It's just too dark to be safe out there, so I have to wait until the weekends too at this time of year. Tomorrow I'm teaching spinning so I'll miss out on my shorter Death Trail run. I'll get some trails in on Sunday, though. And we are so much alike; my training schedule is WAY too long too, but I built in extra weeks so I would build confidence as well as miles. Good thing too, since I skipped two runs in my first week due to being so sick last week! I didn't stress at all about it. I just reminded myself that I have plenty of time and a few missed workouts aren't the end of the world.
sauconRunner likes this.
#20 of 29 Old 11-20-2015, 10:59 AM
Special Member

saucon! WOOT for having a half plan!!!!! woot woot!!!!

bob, we would need video confirmation that said beer mile actually happened. i'm sure maggie would be happy to comply.

ron, have fun in vegas!! how's DD's calf feeling?

theia, enjoy your trail run on sunday! it makes me so happy to see you running strong, happy, and healthy!!

5.65 miles this morning with bella on a slightly warmer day. we had to stop for water a lot. we've recently picked up another running partner - one that is slowing us down both in volume and speed but we're happy to accommodate her especially since she doesn't have much of a choice but to come along - i'm expecting another little girl next spring

i'm hearing all this talk of the gtg in glass city but my due date is 4/26 so i will have to sit this one out!

some of you know that its been a long (almost 4 years now!) and heartbreaking journey for us as we tried to expand our family - so this is truly a miracle baby and an enormous blessing. we couldn't be happier.

happy friday and weekends, all!
#21 of 29 Old 11-20-2015, 11:16 AM
Special Member

#22 of 29 Old 11-20-2015, 11:19 AM
Special Member

I would have put more emojis in there, but apparently 25 is the limit so I had to delete a few.

CONGRATS to Missy, G, AK, and Bella!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#23 of 29 Old 11-20-2015, 11:22 AM - Thead Starter
Ron
Special Member

Missy her calf is about the same but she can run on it. I have a feeling she is going to run because another girl is feeling worse than her.

:c ompress:
#24 of 29 Old 11-20-2015, 11:23 AM - Thead Starter
Ron
Special Member

Awesome missy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#25 of 29 Old 11-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Special Member

Likes Given: 27
:h ello1:

Congrats Missy!!!!!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page