Morning 30's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 10-26-2015, 09:33 AM - Thead Starter
Ron
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 22
Morning 30's I had a nice busy weekend. Friday the XC team ran Mt Sac. They did awesome and so did my daughter. It was a warms day and always a tough course. Mt Sac starts off flat for a mile then has 3 steep hills in the next 2 miles. Our girls were suppose to have a rebuilding year but they have really picked it up. We have a freshman girl that gets faster every week. My daughter probably had her best race ever. She ran the course in 21:08 and finished 30 out of 110. This put us in the playoffs (CIF regionals)!!! We have league finals next week but we won't place as we are a division 3 team competing against division 1 teams (2 of which are ranked in the state). It is a weird set up but we don't have many schools our size in our area so we have to compete against bigger schools.
#3 of 34 Old 10-26-2015, 10:06 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4
morning, ron.

WOW!!!! CIF for XC is hardcore!! congrats to your daughter and her team - it sounds like they have really made great progress this season. you must be so proud.

we had a quiet weekend - a rarity for us and so we enjoyed every moment of lounging around the house. i literally didn't leave the house except to go out to dinner on sat night and also to practice with AK on her two wheeler bike. i'm happy to say shes got it down finally.. its just the starting and stopping that is a bit of a challenge but shes starting to get the hang of it

3 miles this morning with bella around the neighborhood on a lovely morning.

#4 of 34 Old 10-26-2015, 11:00 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
How is it the last week of October already? Sheesh.

In contrast with Missy's low-key weekend, we had a whirlwind week and weekend! In one week, we saw Craig Ferguson (hilarious) and Chris Cornell (drool-worthy), went to a hockey game (we stunk but it was still fun), and hosted a Halloween party Saturday night (about 40-45 people came). Plus my bday was in the mix, so we celebrated that as well. It was pretty much the best week ever.

I did a trail run on Saturday with a friend and learned a new trail! Hooray! I always love learning about new places to run. Unfortunately my right ankle hasn't felt too great since because the new path we tried was VERY rocky and my ankles were rolling all over the place. I am going to run it again Thursday with a different friend; hopefully I'll be recovered by then. This morning in class we did 100 burpees. Hooray again! (I did more because I had to show a few of the variations.) Did I tell you guys I am tracking how many burpees I do this year? When I added them up a few weeks ago, I was over 1,400 for the year so far. My goal is 2,000 burpees by December 31.
#5 of 34 Old 10-26-2015, 12:14 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
Congrats to your daughter and her team, Ron! If our Wisconsin contingent doesn't check in then she'll win the 30s-associate fastest 5k of the year award!

Happy Birthday Theia and that sounds like a great weekend.

Woot for 2-wheeling, AK!

I tried to run long yesterday, but I was caught in a sustained deluge on the rail trail. After just under 3 miles I had to turn around and head back to the car because I was soaked to the bone. Luke Puskedra (recent 2:10 marathon) and Alexi Pappas (53:10 10-miler for 2nd at US Women's Champs) had the same idea for a training run and they were headed back to the car with a training group as I was headed out.

ETA - Just got in 6.2 miles today. 60F, perfect conditions.
#6 of 34 Old 10-26-2015, 06:04 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28
Likes Given: 1
I got on the treadmill tonight, didn't really run, but it's progress. I had to do it so I could watch another episode of Indian Summer without feeling like a total sloth!
#7 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 07:17 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Hiya everyone. Congrats to your daughter, Ron.

Happy belated birthday, Theia. And nice work on all those burpees. My current burpee total for 2015 is zero...

I did finally get out on Saturday for a double-digit run (10.1 miles). That was my longest run since the marathon in Nebraska. Last night I ran 4.25 east miles, and tonight I'll do something, maybe some sort of speed workout. I've done enough slacking off, so it's time to get my butt back in gear and start training for Houston.
#8 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 08:34 AM

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 5
howdy folks!

Congrats to your daughter, Ron!

Theia that sounds like one heck of a weekend!!!

Mine was fairly busy, although Adam was out of town, so I had the place to myself for a few days and I made good work of it, cleaning out a couple of cabinets, putting away all the costumes that were in my car (there were some from 4 different shows, oof). I was in the middle of making beef stew when my friend from LA called to say he was in the neighborhood and could he stop by, which was an unexpected but fun visit. He's the one I used to sing backup for, but he's now living in CA, working as a producer and songwriter (if any of you with little ones has seen Tinkerbell and The Legend of the Neverbeast, he wrote and sang the song KY Tunstall sang in the soundtrack, "1000 Years" .)

In other news, I actually ran last night. Since it's been a while, I dropped way back in C25K to week 4, which was R3min/W90s/R5/W2.5min/R3/W90s/R5. I ended up running the last 5 mins and through the 5 min cooldown, so, I actually ran a lot last night. I may just forgo ever running more than 10 mins at the time every again. I like intervals and do so well. Now I just have to keep going!

"And all our fears were in vain, a dream, just like the Lord said."
- Jack Kerouac, Desolation Angels

Yeah, I have a blog....
#9 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 09:23 AM - Thead Starter
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's tonight I will workout but I am not sure what I will do yet. I am really liking the cooler weather in the mornings and evenings. Thank you all very much about my daughter. I didn't mean to brag about her but I just love watching her run. She may not be the fastest but it is like watching her run in the Olympics every time see her run. I also feel the same way about watching my other kids in their activities.

missy there is nothing better than a quiet weekend.

theia I am tired just read all that you did this past weekend.

Duck she will never catch RIL's boys but I have a 7th grade boy that I am trying to talk into running I think he could be fast.

Nice job amichel!!!!

Bob how did you get back home if you ran all your miles in one direction?

Moe I am not sure I would know what to do if I had a weekend to myself. Awesome job on your run.
#10 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 09:49 AM
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Bob how did you get back home if you ran all your miles in one direction?

Heh. That was an old joke around this group, a long time ago. Someone once wrote "east" instead of "easy" by mistake, so for a while we went with that. It hasn't come up in a long time, but for some reason I thought of it, so I wrote "east" and wanted to see if anyone would catch it...
#11 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 10:35 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Bob- I caught it! Theia- happy belated bday! Today is mine...I'm working but leaving early to get my hair/makeup done for that fitness photo shoot that I'm in. Yippee...can finally eat other types of food again! Missy- yea for AK...I'm working on it with G...M too for that matter.
#12 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 11:06 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 14
Likes Given: 20
Hey all,

Looks like everyone is doing well. I was in DC for the weekend for the Marine Corps Marathon. I was woefully undertrained and really just hoped to go the distance. Previously, I had run two halfs, a couple of 15s and one Long Run that was just shy of 20 miles. Anyway, it went well. I managed to run the whole distance and never stopped to walk. And I squeaked in just under 4 hrs. This was my 3rd MCM and it remains one of my favorite races. I'm crazy sore now. Need to run a bit today.

Ron - congrats to your daughter and her team.

Moe - way to get back out there.
#13 of 34 Old 10-27-2015, 11:27 AM
Special Member

Tim, it sounds like we are at similar fitness levels. I could probably knock out a 20 and a full, but it would be painful. Oooof! Congrats on getting your 3rd finish, sorry the start was such a cluster.
#14 of 34 Old 10-28-2015, 06:29 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
I saw it too, Bob! Thanks for the blast from the past. I think we need a call-out thread or something to get some of our friends back in here. Coach T, Pacer, Brandy, Baggs, Maria, Beaker, Litch... the list of MIAs is way too long!

Congrats, TimR! I saw your post on FB. Sounds like the start was a mess, but you did a great job! Less than ideal training, far less than ideal start conditions, and you still came in under 4 hours? Nicely done.

Yay for 2-wheelers! And triumphant returns to running!

Happy belated to you too, KJ! How did the photo shoot go?

Hi everyone else!
#15 of 34 Old 10-28-2015, 07:14 AM

morning folks!

KJ, post a pic!

I brought my running clothes to work again, so I can run right after work (well, I drive most of the way home, then run in the cemetery...it seems dumb, but the cemetery closes at 530 and the time it takes for me to drive the rest 0f the way, park, change and walk over means I won't have quite enough time.) Having said that, my parking wars continue on the home front: now a local framer has recently started parking their giant commercial van on my street after work, where I like to park, because they live on the cross street that requires a resident sticker, and commercial vehicles can't get them. I got home last night after making a stop en route, and just as I was pulling over, the van reached the corner. He thought I was pulling over to let him by (my street is very narrow and someone has to pull over to let the other car pass), when I just parked. He was pissed off, and whipped a youey, and parked in resident (he was 45 mins from it turning over to general parking anyway.) Anyway, I can tell this is going to be an issue every night at 5:15 and I am determined to park IN MY SPOT (hello, Boston parking), f' you, giant van.

Yeah, I have a blog....
#16 of 34 Old 10-28-2015, 08:11 AM - Thead Starter
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's I will get some type of workout in tonight. I am ready for the work week to be over. We are going to the Kings game on Saturday which should be a lot of fun. We are going to be close to 90 for Halloween. That is just stupid.

Bob sorry that is just my sense of humor funny or not.

KJ almost time for some pizza!!!

Tim nice job on the marathon. I did that race once and I really enjoyed it.

Morning Duck it must be cooling down there these days.

Hi Theia I hope you are having a fantastic day!

Moe don't give in to those parking pirates.
#17 of 34 Old 10-28-2015, 10:57 AM
Addicted Member

Moe, I don't think I've ever seen the word "youey" written down before. I've only heard it in conversation. I assumed it would be spelled "u-ey", or something like that since it's derived from "u-turn". Is "youey" really an accepted spelling? Or did you just sound it out yourself just now? These are the kind of things I think about...

Theia, yeah we really need some of the old timers back around here. They are all missed...

Tim, nice job on the marathon. I fully understand the "woefully undertrained" aspect, as that's basically been me for the last 5 or 6 marathons that I've run. Yet for some stupid reason I still keep getting out there...

Speaking of which... as I've said before, I'm signed up for Houston in January. I've now thrown my hat into the lottery for one of the spots on my alma mater's Boston Marathon charity team. I was unable to get one of the spots the last two years when the school had 100 spots. For some reason, they only have 25 spots in 2016, so I don't think my odds are very good. But there's no harm trying. If I don't get in, I'll find something else to do in April. And then, DW and I are starting to plan a trip to Hawaii over the summer. The Kona Marathon is just a few days after school ends, so the schedule works very nicely. Now, we just need to scrape up enough $ to get there. Hawaii is friggin' expensive!!

#18 of 34 Old 10-28-2015, 12:00 PM
Special Member

Hawaii is freakin' expensive, but it does go on sale. It was really cheap this past summer, like $450 RT or less RT from the west coast.

I ran 10 miles after work yesterday. It got dark fast, but I really enjoy than anyways. I probably need to keep some red flasher lights in my gear bag for the winter.
#19 of 34 Old 10-28-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckgeek View Post
I ran 10 miles after work yesterday. It got dark fast, but I really enjoy than anyways. I probably need to keep some red flasher lights in my gear bag for the winter.
I grabbed a jacket to throw into my kit as I was leaving this morning but paused, wondering if I should have grabbed my reflective yellow vest instead (KJ, from the Summer Series all those years ago!)

Yeah, I have a blog....
#20 of 34 Old 10-29-2015, 06:35 AM

I did my C25K intervals on the treadmill at home last night. Man, that sucks. Ours is in our dreary cellar and I'm facing the side of a spare refridgerator and the hot water heaters. YAWN.

Yeah, I have a blog....
#21 of 34 Old 10-29-2015, 07:33 AM - Thead Starter
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's I got in a good workout last night and I should be able to get something in tonight too. It is warming up here again for the weekend but next week it will cool down quite a bit so that is exciting.

Bob Hawaii sounds like a lot of fun and a long flight from back East.

Duck nice run Duck.

Moe way to get that run in.
#22 of 34 Old 10-29-2015, 07:47 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 14
Likes Given: 20
Moe - keep it going.

duck - nice running

Ron - hang in there, it's Thursday, the weekend is nearly upon us.

On the home front - my sweet daughter had a seizure this morning before school. It's kind of scary, but she's totally fine, just shaken up a bit. Now she's worried about the ramifications of it since she'll be 16 in March and is hopeful about getting her license. She has been diagnosed with a mild case of Epilepsy but she hasn't had a seizure in over 4 years and her Dr. had taken her off of the anti-seizure meds a while back. We could use some thoughts and prayers today. I know it will all be fine, but still...

Hawaii - boB, we're planning to go there this summer too. Cost is definitely an issue. Like Duck said, I'll be looking for cheap flights from the west coast. We'll use Southwest points to fly to the bay area (San Jose or SFO) and then pay cash for tickets from there to Honolulu. Fortunately, my brother lives there so we have a place to stay. Timing wise, we'll be there the first 2 weeks of July. Sounds like you're going in June.
#23 of 34 Old 10-29-2015, 09:39 AM
Special Member

We're planning on a Germany trip for late June to pick up Mila at the end of her school year. Just looked on Icelandic air for a trip from Portland to Frankfurt with a return layover in Iceland and it's about $1600 per person.
#24 of 34 Old 10-29-2015, 10:55 AM
Addicted Member

Tim, we'd be planning our Hawaii trip around the Kona Marathon, which is on Jun 26. (Hmm, I can't get a link to work. Well okay, link at bottom). Last night we were poking around for flights, and right now anything RT from NY/NJ to either Hilo or Kona is $1100 or more. Maybe I should look into buying separately NY-to-CA and CA-to-HI... We were also debating whether or not to add a second island to the tip. If we did, it would certainly be Oahu, but I think we're going to skip that. DW and I were already on Oahu (and Maui) once, so we think we might just keep this trip to the big island.

Anyway, good wishes to your daughter. As you guys may recall, I had a couple of seizures myself, almost 6 years ago. I had two, 10 days apart. I had never had one before, and never had any family history, so it was completely out of the blue. But I got put on anti-seizure meds, and have taken them every day since without incident or side-effects. I saw my doc earlier this year, and he told me that I will likely have to keep taking them for the rest of my life. I sorta wonder if I really need them, but taking a simple little pill every day is so easy, that I reckon it's not worth the risk of trying to see if I can live without them...

I slacked off yesterday and didn't run. It was pouring rain, and I wasn't in the mood to run in the rain or run on the TM. Meh. I'll get in a few miles tonight...

http://www.konamarathon.com/

Timr1 likes this.
#25 of 34 Old 10-29-2015, 11:33 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4
happy belated birthday, KJ!!!!!! i want to see the fitness pics!! what was the first thing you ate that was previously non permissible?

timr, so scary for DD. i'm so sorry. i hope that the doctors can find a way to manage it again so she can safely drive. great job on MCM, btw! hows the recovery this week?

way to get back into it, moe. i agree - dreadmill running SUUUUUUCCCCCKS.

its so nice to see some familiar faces in here! it makes me super happy.

duck, that sounds like a fun trip!! will the whole family go or just you and DW?

ron, 90 on halloween is just wrong. i mean, really.

bob, not only is getting to hawaii expensive, be prepared for sticker shock for how expensive everything there is as well. just think NYC prices + 15-20% on top of that

the big island is my favorite out of all of the islands (although kauai is right on its heels). it is so diverse, IMO and there are a TON of different activities to do. we were there for a 9 days about two years ago and still felt it wasn't enough to adequately explore everything we wanted. so my vote is to just stay on big island and discover as much as you can.. but thats just me. we spent 5 weeks in australia this past march and everyone recommended NZ or Tasmania as a side trip but i wanted to REALLY travel around australia and get to know the country.. which is what we did.

we're also headed to hawaii next february during ski week. we haven't purchased tickets yet.. hoping they come down a bit (currently $700ish).

6 miles this morning with bella on the trails on a gorgeous, cooler morning. my running felt fluid this morning and everything flowed well so i was happy.

busy weekend ahead with tons of halloween festivities. i'm coordinating AK's room party tomorrow, then theres a parade, then a festival. on saturday she's invited to a halloween party and then we're hosting one that night prior to going ToTing. lots of cleaning, cooking, and prepping coming up these next few days.

and then theres the NYC marathon on sunday which i plan on watching. i love that race.

good days,all!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page