30s Indian Summer 9/7 - 9/13 - KickRunners.com

#1 of 18 Old 09-08-2015, 06:48 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
30s Indian Summer 9/7 - 9/13

Good morning. Hope everyone had a lovely holiday weekend.

Last week it occurred to me that I have had one **** of a summer, so I ran the numbers.

Summer of 2015 - Memorial Day to Labor Day
268.8 - miles run
221.7 - miles biked
13.6 - miles swum
30 - classes taught
5 - concerts attended (U2, Robert Plant, Morrissey, Violent Femmes & Barenaked Ladies, and Lenny Kravitz)
7 - states visited (NY, NJ, CT, RI, OR, WA, CO)

That's quite a list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 09-08-2015, 07:38 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1
Sounds like a full Summer, Theia!

I capped off my Summer season with the New Haven 20k yesterday. This was my 12th straight year running this race. It was sunny and warm, but it wasn't as humid as I was expecting. So it could have been worse. It could have been like last year, when it was brutally hot and humid. I had my slowest 20k ever last year (2:07), also due somewhat to having just started running again after having sciatica. No such problems this year. I finished in 1:53, which is as good as I could have hoped. Still well off PR pace (1:36, I think), but I doubt I'll ever approach that again. I'm happy with the results. Now it's less than two weeks until the marathon in Omaha. I am praying that the weather is no worse than it was yesterday. (Cloudy and 50 would be nice, please!). My level of fitness worked fine over 12.4 miles, but I'm not sure how it'll do over 26.2...
#3 of 18 Old 09-08-2015, 09:30 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

I just signed up for my first race since April 6, 2014. It will be almost 18 months to the day between races.

http://events.r20.constantcontact.co...&llr=f65e4idab

I've always heard this race is incredibly beautiful and hellaciously hard. Looks like a good way to jump back in, right?

Here is more info from the running company's website.

The course itself will have some spots of historical significance and character. It starts on The Big Bend property which was home to William Penn. The race will take you through 2 states back to Point Lookout, where Major General George Washington planned out the Battle of the Brandywine in 1777. From here you have a beautiful view over the entire valley in its fall splendor. The last mile is downhill, back into PA, through the river (yes, you will get very wet) on to the main house of The Big Bend.

#4 of 18 Old 09-08-2015, 10:19 AM

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 5
Theia, that race sounds so fun!

I have been a running slacker and haven't done a dang thing but costume work, regular work, and general running around in the last week. I'd hoped to get out for a couple tonight (or whatever the schedule says) but I'm so busy at work with deadlines tomorrow (I'm taking a lunch break) that I'll be here late then heading directly to rehearsal. I spent 18? 20? hours this weekend working on costumes......

"And all our fears were in vain, a dream, just like the Lord said."
- Jack Kerouac, Desolation Angels

Yeah, I have a blog....
#5 of 18 Old 09-08-2015, 11:22 AM
Ron
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 22
Morning 30's I had some good workouts this weekend and I am going determined to run more than 6 miles by next weekend. Weights have been going great but that is probably because I am gaining weight but I haven't gotten on a scale. Last week I ran a little over 20 and this week I am shooting for over 25 which should be easy as I have around 13 so far and I can run tomorrow Friday and Saturday. Saturday will be busy as the first cross country meet is at our school. I am volunteering at the finish line so I hope I can stay clear of the projectiles.

Theia did you say the Violent Femmes I knew you were awesome.

Bob nice running. I am going to run a 10 mile race in Oct I just want to finish.

Mo you sound busy I hope you are having fun.
#6 of 18 Old 09-08-2015, 03:47 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
Nice running, Bob!

Sounds like a good race, Theia!

That's a lot of work, Moe!

Nice job on the mileage ramp-up, Ron.

I got out for 6+ miles running with DS on the bike riding shotgun yesterday. It was hilly, but felt pretty good.
#7 of 18 Old 09-09-2015, 06:03 AM

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 5
Our tech starts this weekend (we open next Friday) so we're in the home stretch. Unfortunately my right hand man, Troy, who was a professional costumer and wigger, just got some PT work at the Huntington starting tonight, so he won't be around til the weekend to help again, but we'll get the rest of the stuff done one way or the other. I'll post some pics at some point! I do have tomw and Fri nights off, so I plan to run then. Plus, the weather is supposed to break. Evidently we broke a temperature record in Boston yesterday, I think it got up to 95F or so. I never left my desk yday so I wasn't even aware it was so hot!

"And all our fears were in vain, a dream, just like the Lord said."
- Jack Kerouac, Desolation Angels

Yeah, I have a blog....
#8 of 18 Old 09-09-2015, 07:54 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Maureen, I think it's cool that you still work in the theater. I know how much it means to you!

Bob, congrats on New Haven. I still remember how humid it was the year I did it. Kinda like it has been here the past week and a half, haha! I was DRENCHED this morning after my class, and we only did 3.25 miles and were out for 33 minutes including the stops! That's really when the sweat starts pouring... when we stop for drills.

Hi Ron! And Duck! (Glad you liked GoV's new sweatshirt.)

I had an adventure last night. I really wanted to run, and I really wanted to run in the trails. I got a very late start, so instead of running from home or the Y I just drove to the small parking area at the state park where a trail starts/ends. This was at about 7:15.

Sunset was 7:24.

I didn't know sunset was that early.

Trails are dark. Really, really dark.

Nonetheless, stupid stubborn me decided to run to the other end of that particular trail and back (5+ miles).

Without a cell phone. Or a light of any kind. In a black top.

Needless to say, it was the most terrifying run of my life. Trails at night are S.C.A.R.Y. places!
#9 of 18 Old 09-09-2015, 09:52 AM
Special Member

Wow, that's kind of a crazy run Theia! I hope the trail was flat and smooth.

I ran 6+ after work last night.
#10 of 18 Old 09-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 14
Yikes, Theia! Glad you didn't trip on a root or a dead body.

Last weekend, Moonie and I did a nearly 30 mile tour of the city. As an anniversary present, he got us a membership to Yay Bikes!, a local organization that sponsors monthly rides plus the annual event held last weekend. They also try to encourage people to bike to community events by offering free, secured, bike parking. We've taken advantage of it before, it's a really nice option in nice weather. I took my first fall on a bike in years and have some beautiful bruises to show for it. It was definitely a result of energy depletion, so lesson learned: take extra fuel with you. In our defense, there were rest stops along the way and we expected more little snacks than there ended up being but fortunately the rest stop about a mile post-fall had bananas and granola bars and that allowed me to finish the ride without having to cut the route short.

We did a few other fun things over the holiday weekend including going to the local Greek festival. We got to see the inside of the Greek Orthodox cathedral for the 1st time ever and wow, was it gorgeous.

Kris
#11 of 18 Old 09-10-2015, 10:38 AM
Addicted Member

Sounds like a fun weekend, Bard!

I haven't run since the race on Monday. For some reason, my left ass started to hurt on Tuesday. (Take that comment and run with it, if you'd like). It didn't bother me right after the race, but a day later it was uncomfortable. Today it feels better, so I'll get out for a few miles. Yeesh, only 10 days until the marathon...

In other news, DD will be starting a running class next Monday. This is a once-a-week class that will focus on speed and agility. She's already one of the fastest kids on her softball team, and I'm hoping this class will make her stand out even more. And maybe get her more interested in running longer distances. She did a half-mile kids race on Monday, but for the most part she seems more interested in running around a softball field than running races or around a track...
#12 of 18 Old 09-10-2015, 12:58 PM

Likes Earned: 24
Likes Given: 46
Whhaaa? Playing softball? But...but...wasn't it just last week when we all got you that Bob Running Stroller for the BABY!?!? Cripes. Time, it do fly.

Just found out that Dolvett from the Biggest Loser is going to be at the MCM finish line. I squeed.

Theia - eeks! I cannot imagine. Dark. Scary. Nothankyou. You are brave!

My 20 miler this last weekend ended up an 18 miler. I pushed the run to Monday for the cooler weather, and spent Saturday pulling up old carpet, painting, and laying down new carpet in the man cave. My lower back and legs were kinda shot. So not only was the 20 miler only 18 miles, but it was a slow uncomfortable 18 miles. I'm okay with it, I have two more 20 milers scheduled before race day. And the man cave looks great!

I keep thinking that this might be my last marathon. So much time goes into training. And my feet are more hurty these days. Sigh. I say that now, but I will forget about the pain and suffering and a marathon will come around and I'll have been drinking, and there I'll go signing up again.

Happy trails all! Run hard. Run happy.
#13 of 18 Old 09-10-2015, 01:14 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4
gah. my laptop was reloading the page and i lost my post!

we've had a heatwave here.. highs in the 100+ so my runs have been short and sweet. its supposed to cool down this weekend so i'm looking forward to that. i haven't quite gotten into the routine of running super early in the morning.. i need to!

theia, your run sounds super freaky. i would have been running like a crazy woman!
#14 of 18 Old 09-10-2015, 03:23 PM
Special Member

Paying for on flight wifi just so I can check in!

I was just in SFO, oh so close to Missy!

I'll be in Chicago soon, then driving to Kzoo. My mom turns 86 today!

Hope to have a nice run on the trail while I'm there.
#15 of 18 Old 09-10-2015, 04:00 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28
Happy birthday momma duck

I'm in a fairly serious debate with myself about how to handle my next fitness phase...part of me wants a big crazy goal, part of me wants to just chill and consider a 10,000 step day a "workout". Not much in between that gets my attention. Hello crazy brain!
#16 of 18 Old 09-11-2015, 07:07 AM
Addicted Member

BigG, around Mile 21 of each marathon I start to think that this is going to be my last one and screw the 50 state thing. But as soon as I finish, I start planning the next one, if I haven't already done so...
#17 of 18 Old 09-12-2015, 06:48 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
Hellooooooo.

Been making it to yoga 4x/week and trying to get 4 miles in a day with O. 5 if I have enough time, but life asploded again. And my stupid back is HURTY, so there's that.

Spell check won't let me leave HURTY in lower case. I don't mean to yell that, even though it is the suck. Hoping J will be able to work on my back tomorrow, but schedules are an issue.

I'm roasting some veggies for dinner tonight. And yah, it's late, but I didn't get stuff together till now. Probably go to bed after I eat. ha.

Was supposed to have a showing tonight but it got bumped to Monday evening. (Cleaning for this would be why my back is so angry. Stupid house.)

Happy Birthday Duck Mom!
#18 of 18 Old 09-14-2015, 07:18 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Hope Bob's ass and Kath's back are feeling better!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page