30s - August already? - KickRunners.com
 7Likes

#1 of 31 Old 08-03-2015, 07:11 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
30s - August already?

Good morning, everyone. Hope you had a good weekend. How is it August already? I know I say it every summer, but I swear this summer is the fastest ever. We decided in class this morning that it's because June was so rainy that it was like summer didn't start until July, so we got gypped a month.

Can I share good news? I am finally down to 150! I was really hoping to be 149 this morning, but I'll take 150. I was 151 before vacation, I'm convinced I was in the 140s by the end of vacation because we were so active and ate so well, and then I ballooned back up to 152 two weeks ago because I stress-ate like a mofo after vacation. So 150 is good. Better than good.

In not-good news, I did something to my calf on Saturday - in the pool of all places. I thought it was a charley horse, but it's been more than 36 hours and it's still very tender and swollen, so obviously that's not it. I've heard everything from possible tear to blood clot to MS. I have an appointment with the chiro today, so I'll ask her what she thinks. Ugh. It didn't stop me from running yesterday, and in fact it seems to feel better when I move rather than sit around and then try to move.
sauconRunner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 08-03-2015, 11:01 AM
Ron
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 22
Morning 30's First thank you all for the birthday wishes. We went out to lunch for my birthday which was nice to have all the kids in one place. Saturday we celebrated my daughters birthday as she turned 16 on the 29th. The party turned out great and we all have a fun time. I got in some good workouts. Weights have been really good lately. Better than I have felt in a few years. Running is a different story. Saturday we were busy and I was tired so I just lifted and bagged the run but I had a good 5.5 mile run yesterday. I should be able to get some good workouts in this week than we drive up to Reno next Tuesday. On the way back we are going to Tahoe, San Francisco and Santa Cruz. That is the plan so far.

Theia I am glad you are happy with your weight but you shouldn't stress. You live a healthy life style and you look great! I hope the calf is nothing. It is amazing how some people automatically jump to the worst possible conclusion.
#3 of 31 Old 08-03-2015, 12:04 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
Yay Theia!! I'm still hovering around 165, but with thoughts of a possible late fall marathon... Hope your leg heals up right quick.

Happy Birthday to DD, Ron! That sounds like a great road trip.

We put Mila on the plane for DC this morning. She'll be there for a couple of days, then to Hamburg Germany for a few weeks of language training and finally on to Leipzig for the rest of the school year. Hard to believe we won't see that kid until late June 2016!

Since I was up early for the airport, I came in and ran 6.5 miles before work. Nice and cool.

#4 of 31 Old 08-03-2015, 05:46 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 14
We just spent the loveliest weekend with friends at a lake house in SW Michigan (Duck, outside of Vandalia, just north of Elkhart, IN). I spent the better part of 2 days floating in the water and mostly managed to keep myself from getting sunburned. Just a few pink spots, nothing too tender. It was such a great weekend to recharge, especially since all of us there live several hours apart so it is hard to get together. I extended my weekend by taking today and tomorrow off, but Moonie was right back to work today.

We did get some activity in last week as well, a good couple mile walk on Monday and a bike ride on Tuesday. Moonie also got in a run on Thursday, so we are trying to get things turned around. The nice thing is that when I had my biometric screening last week, my numbers other than my weight were all good, so I'm pretty happy with that.
theia and katholeenie like this.

Kris
#5 of 31 Old 08-03-2015, 08:29 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Duck, will you go visit her?

Happy early bday, Bard!
#6 of 31 Old 08-03-2015, 09:20 PM
Special Member

We are hoping to pick her up at the end.

12 holes of golf after work tonight.
#7 of 31 Old 08-04-2015, 06:50 AM

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 5
Hello!`

hi all, long time no post!

First, happy birthday, Kris!

Missy, I'm very sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing.

Duck how exciting for your daughter!!!!

Theia, take care of that leg!

how's everyone else doing?

I am great. I'm working on a couple of shows and had a very busy spring of costuming too. And my relationship with Adam, my boyfriend of a couple of years (I can't believe it's been that long!) is really good.

Running a bit (again, although this time I've successfully passed the 4 weeks consistency mark, even if it's just 2-3 times a week), using the C25K app. I'm pleased to see that despite how out of shape I am, I've been a runner long enough to understand how to slow down and keep a pace that lets me run longer. So I often get to a walk break and just keep running through it. But using the schedule gives me the option of an easier day if I don't feel like running more than what's on it.

In other news, my father is getting married again! I'm really happy for him. I don't honestly know his lady friend too well, as I've only met her a half dozen times, but he's very happy, and given my father is the least impetuous person I know, I trust his decision completely. Besides, she is a lovely, kind, intelligent woman and they are happy together. One interesting point: she's just about to turn 70 (my father turned 70 last week), and she's never been married!

Of course this impending wedding has made me kick myself into gear to lose some weight and get in shape again.

Hope to check in a bit more often than once every 6 months...cheers, friends!

"And all our fears were in vain, a dream, just like the Lord said."
- Jack Kerouac, Desolation Angels

Yeah, I have a blog....
#8 of 31 Old 08-04-2015, 07:20 AM
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's I will workout tonight. I am feeling less tired today so that is a good thing and work should be manageable.

Duck how exciting for your daughter but that is a tough one.

Bard happy birthday and your weekend sounded awesome!!!

Morning Theia hope you have a great day!

Moe exciting news about your dad.
#9 of 31 Old 08-04-2015, 07:22 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Moe!! Holy blast from the past, Batman! Nice to see you. Great news about your dad. He deserves to be happy, and it's lovely that you're happy for him too! I know a few of our veteran members who are also re-starting a running program, I think both through C25K, so maybe I can convince them to check in once in a while too. I miss the camaraderie we had here all those years ago.

Calf update:
The chiro and a massage therapist she called in both felt around in my calf yesterday and agree that they don't think it's a tear. Their best guess is a strain or pull. I still don't understand how that happened in the pool of all places, but whatever. It's still very tender to the touch, but it's better overall than it was 24 hours ago. I am getting a massage tonight, which should hurt so good.

I overslept this morning, and since I have the massage later today will be a rest day. Back at it tomorrow!

Hi Ron! Didn't see your post when I was posting.
#10 of 31 Old 08-04-2015, 10:12 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1
Hey, Moe! It's good to see you around these parts!

I hope the calf feels good really soon, Theia.

Happy Birthday to Bard!

My running? Meh. I managed 14 miles on Saturday and actually felt fairly good. But I was quite slow. My average pace was actually just slower than 10:00 per mile. Yeah, it was somewhat warm and humid. But still, I can't recall the last time I had a training run slower than 10:00. Last night I ran 8 miles (longest weekday run in a long time). My pace was a little faster (about 9:45), but it's still a lot slower than I used to be in my younger (and lighter) days.

I think this is just what I am nowadays. Kalamazoo was my slowest marathon, and I'm guessing that Omaha will be slower still. But so what, I'll just be happy to get it done...

Happy Tuesday, everyone...
#11 of 31 Old 08-04-2015, 10:55 AM
Special Member

Hiya Moe!!

Happy Birthday Bard!!

Bob, I'm constantly trying to figure out if I'm slowing from age, lack of mileage or speed work, or weight. Probably a combination of all 3.

I've been trying to get out after work for 9 holes on occasion. Last night conditions were perfect so I paid my $20 and headed out solo. Played really fast until I caught up to a couple of drunk young men on #7. I think they damaged the green on #6, a big chunk like someone had bladed their putter right next to the hole out of anger. I fixed it up, but I was kind of pissed. So I veered back onto empty #2, then #3 and replayed #7 before finishing. My game is really starting to come around and if I can get my driver to cooperate I'll be just about as good as I was when I mostly quit playing 10 years ago.

Smoky conditions here from the western wild fires. Hope to run at lunch today.
#12 of 31 Old 08-04-2015, 06:04 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
MAUREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theia View Post
I still don't understand how that happened in the pool of all places…..
Because you're old.

I can say that because I can royally fvck up my back just opening a heavy-ish door. It's a daily battle to avoid becoming completely decrepit.

Took a half day from work today cause I only got 3 hours of sleep each of the last 2 nights, my back is all kinds of fired up and was having monster girl cramps. Anyway, I just couldn't deal, so came home at noon and took a handful of tylanol and slept for 3 hours. Went to 5:30 yoga, not sure how it would go cause I still felt crappy, but it helped quite a bit. Back is still angry, but back down to a manageable level. I'm hoping J will be able to work on my back in the morning before work, which will help get me through till Saturday when doc works on me.
#13 of 31 Old 08-05-2015, 07:22 AM
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's I lifted last night but didn't run so I have to be sure to get a run in tonight. Nothing else too exciting to report.

Theia I hope the calf is better today.

Bob why don't we get faster as we age? I am not coping with it well.

Duck those fires look terrible.

Kath did your back get fixed? I hope you are feeling better.
#14 of 31 Old 08-05-2015, 08:37 AM
Special Member

((((Kath))})

I did get in 6.5 miles at lunch yesterday. Work is starting to get crazy.
#15 of 31 Old 08-05-2015, 08:45 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

I'm changing your name to Kathomeanie.

#16 of 31 Old 08-05-2015, 01:51 PM

Likes Earned: 24
Likes Given: 46
Hallooooooo! I was just thinking of the 30's and thought I'd pop in and say hi!

Yay for Moe's Dad! Boo for Theia's leg. Yay for Duck's golf game! Boo for old age.

Speaking of age, we were at Tony's 30-year high school reunion this past weekend, out until 3 a.m. both nights. Yup, way too old for those kinds of shenanigans! Their turnout wasn't great, but the people that were there had a blast. I think Facebook has damaged that kind of event, why spend money on travel/airfare/lodging when you can go on to Facebook and see what everyone's doing, how many kids they have, what they look like. And I think that it's taken away from the 30's board a lot too. I've done this before, said I'd make a point to come in more often, and then it trickles off. So I won't say that this time. I still think we need another 30's get together.

I'm currently training for the Marine Corps Marathon. ooh rah!

That is all. Carry on.
theia likes this.
#17 of 31 Old 08-05-2015, 05:43 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Goon!!!!!!!!!!
#18 of 31 Old 08-06-2015, 07:29 AM
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's our Summer weather has been a little weird. I am thankful that it hasn't gotten too hot yet (it's coming) but it has been much more humid than normal. I lifted and got a good 5.07 mile run in. I don't know how I ever ran a marathon it is all slipping from my memory.

Duck sorry for the busy work schedule but good job on the run. Is it still hot there?

Theia very cleaver name.

Hi Big G the MCM is a really nice race.
#19 of 31 Old 08-06-2015, 08:44 AM
Special Member

Likes Given: 27
Hola!

It has been too long, I don't even remember the last time I posted, but someone nudged me so here I am. It's great to see so many of you still here

Talk about getting old, I went to my blogspot the other day to start blogging again and realized when I started it, I was 34, so ten years ago! That was back when I spoke to all of you on here regularly and was in the best shape ever (although I didn't know it then).

I will make a concerted effort to try and get here regularly and I might even succeed since I've been doing well on consistently blogging. Guess I'm getting old and responsible.

I'm running again, and I think this time I'm going about it right. Did a program off of the guided workouts on the Microsoft Band that got me to a 5k distance in 4 weeks, holding steady there right now 3 to 4 days a week with one of those workouts being on some big hills. Taking it slow and steady so I don't get injured. I've had too many failed attempts to screw it up this time. I am just happy to be back out there.

Happy Birthday Kris!

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother Missy.

Healing thoughts to Katholeenie and Theia!

Congrats to your dad, Moe.

Hey Duck, Goon, boB & Ron!

Ciao!
#20 of 31 Old 08-06-2015, 10:37 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4
wow!!! check out all of these 30s coming out of the woods!! its soooooooo great to hear from you all! it makes me super happy!!

4.2 miles with bella. i am just chugging along with house stuff and have officially started marathon training this week. i also went to pilates on monday which kicked my butt as expected and i'm SOOOOOOOOOORE!!

we're trying to see if we can get away this weekend for a little bit before we head down to L.A. for the funeral.. then the next day we come back, AK starts kindergarten!!!! its rather surreal; for a long time i used to dream about the day that i could shuttle her off to school but now that its here, i'm back pedaling big time!!
#21 of 31 Old 08-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Special Member

Likes Given: 27
Kindergarten!!!

Wow it has been a long time since I've been on here! It goes way to fast as Avery just turned 12, I am an expert on this.
#22 of 31 Old 08-06-2015, 06:33 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
I GOT A GROPE!!!! Don't think I didn't see you sneak that in there Duck.

Theia - snort. I may be younger than you, but I"m way more decrepit.

GOON!!!

Heather!!!

Missy - shut up!!! I can't believe AK is that old already.

What a difference a day makes. Or actually even 8 hours. J worked me over last night. Dear God. HURT. And he knows right where to dig in. But ultimately it helped. (It always does. J is trained, and knows what he is doing. While he can't fix me like doc does, he cuts the pain level at least in half.)

Not being in such pain allowed me to sleep. Also helps that the cramps are gone, and my auto immune stuff has calmed down. (When everything gets fired up it can fire up too. Everything is connected )

So pretty much the 4 contributors to my vasovagal-ness the last couple days are either all or significantly calmed down. YAY.

Went to yoga this morning (5:30) and had my favorite teacher (Tim). I don't know why, but Standing Bow Pose is my favorite of all the poses.

After work walked O a few miles. He's a happy boy.

Is it pathetic that it's only 9:35 and I'm already heading to bed? Sure, I'll read for a bit before I fall asleep, but still. Pathetic.
sauconRunner likes this.
#23 of 31 Old 08-07-2015, 07:10 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

I miss yoga.

Hi Saucon!!!! Happy early birthday to you. xo

I did a group run last night with the running club. I never, ever, ever join them because they are all freaks of nature who think an 8 minute pace is an easy warm-up. But last night they started eight weeks of hill training in a different section of the trails I always run (a much, much harder section!), and I need to get better on hills so I thought I'd give it a try. Holy moley! I was by far the slowest person there, but luckily a woman I know from the Y also showed up and we ran together. All in all I ran for 1:02... I'm guessing about 6.5 miles total. It was pretty brutal!

25 mile group ride tomorrow with lots of hills thrown in there too. Long run Sunday - I'm shooting for 8-9 miles. In the easier part of the trails.
sauconRunner likes this.
#24 of 31 Old 08-07-2015, 08:01 AM
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's I got in a slow 3.6 mile run last night and lifted a little. Tonight we are going to the Angels game so I will take the train from work and meet the family there. It should be a lot of fun. Tomorrow I am hoping for a good run outside. Maybe a little sleep too I am so tired this week.

SR good job on the running!!

missy kindergarden was a good time for my kids I miss that age.

Kath glad the pain has decreased

theia way to push yourself.
#25 of 31 Old 08-07-2015, 08:02 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

I found a few pics of the course I ran last night, but one of them won't link here for some reason. Anyway, yeah. This is what my four loops consisted of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Group_climb1.jpg (28.0 KB, 5 views)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page