Oct 13 - 19, 2014. (This month is flying by!) - KickRunners.com
 1Likes

#1 of 33 Old 10-13-2014, 05:50 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7
Oct 13 - 19, 2014. (This month is flying by!)

Howdy folks.. just getting us started....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 33 Old 10-13-2014, 06:09 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 14
Likes Given: 20
Morning all,

Quick post - i have to go get ready for a flight. I'm traveling to Florida today for work. Wow, I haven't been here in such a long time, that I guess there's lots that you don't know on this front. I don't have time to type all the details, but I'll give you this reader's digest version: The company that I worked for (Arbitron = radio ratings) was purchased (for 1.2 billion) by Nielsen (TV Ratings). Of course with two major research companies there was lots of duplication so 600 people were laid off. I survived. Nielsen's operations center is in Oldsmar Florida, just outside of Tampa. That's where I have to go today. This will be my 3rd of 4th trip there.

Crazy weekend: HS game on Friday night, wedding on Saturday, Falcons game yesterday. I did get 18 miles in Saturday.

What's the story on RIL?

Theia - hope the ankle is better this morning.

Later all,
timr
#3 of 33 Old 10-13-2014, 07:52 AM
Ron
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 22
Morning 30's busy weekend with kids events and the new puppy. The puppy either goes full speed or sleeps. When we first got her she ate like it was he last meal. Yesterday she seemed to eat a normal amount. I got in some good workouts but I need to run longer. It is cooling off here too so that is great.

Morning Aliarie and Tim

#4 of 33 Old 10-13-2014, 08:14 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3
Good morning folks!

Adorable pup Ron!

Nice race Duck!

Many thanks for tracking me and sending me awesome racing mojo! The short story is that I was hurt. As many of you know, during my peak week of training, I pushed it too far and irritated the crap out of my piriformis. I cut way back on miles and intensity the last 3 weeks, got a (brutal) massage and rested up as much as I could. I was hopeful, but I knew there was a chance it would rear its ugly head on race day. I talked to my coach and we decided to nix my original goal (3:20) unless everything seemed perfect. My plan was to go out at an 8ish pace and just try to have a strong race.

I felt great until around mile 8 or 9. Then I started feeling my piriformis. Not hurting, but making noise. I allowed myself to slow a little, but by mile 11 it was starting to hurt. I saw DH at the half and *was this close* to walking off the course, but I did not want to quit. Unfortunately, shortly after that I hit a manhole cover or some sort of dip in the street and really felt the strain in my butt. It hurt and I knew it would be stupid to finish. So when I saw DH at 17, I stepped off the course. He said when he saw me at 13 my gait was messed up, which confirmed that it was a good choice for me to stop. I won't lie - I did burst into tears when I stopped and he gave me a hug. I've never DNFed a marathon like this (I did stop Chicago 2011 due to heat, but ran a marathon the next weekend in Grand Rapiods). I have also never been sidelined by injury, so it was a hard one for me.

But, I'll rehab this broken butt and will no doubt be ready to take another swing at the marathon in the Spring.

As I said to my kids, if the worst thing that happens to me today (or this year for that matter) is a marathon DNF, I am doing pretty **** good.
#5 of 33 Old 10-13-2014, 08:16 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
Morning.

Ran a couple with O this morning. Meant to go 3 but doc did some fascia work on my... Cant remember the part. Sacroiliac joint and iliac crest? Upper hip in the back. Anyway, my hip is WAY looser, which is fantastic, but im so bruised from him breaking up the adhesions that it wasnt the most comfortable run. Plus it was a bit humid to run O that far.

Still, it was great to not feel 100 years old as i rolled out of bed this morning. And im walking like a girl (as opposed to Frankenstein) so YAY.
#6 of 33 Old 10-13-2014, 09:49 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1
Sorry that you had to DNF, RIL. I can imagine that it's extremely disappointing. While I've DNS'ed a bunch of times, I've never not completed a race that I started. I'd imagine that it's much worse to start and stop than to not start at all. Well, hang in there, heal up, and kick some ass in the Spring...

Nice job, Duck!

Yay that Kath doesn't feel 100 years old! I hope Theia's ankle is better today.

So for 5 years, the state of Alabama has basically been the center of the college football universe. (3 titles for Bama, 1 for Auburn, and almost another one for Auburn). But suddenly it seems like the center of the universe has shifted a couple hundred miles west. Now all of a sudden, Mississippi is where it's at. Amazing...

And speaking of such things... Did anybody read the article in the NY Times about Florida State? I'm sure some version of this happens in a lot of college town, but this is really over the top. That really seems to be a football program, a university, and an entire college town out of control...
#7 of 33 Old 10-13-2014, 10:40 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
Safe travels, TimR. RIL, I hope you are feeling OK with your decision to cut the race short. Hello to everyone else.

My ankle is what it is. It's not my worst sprain (third time on this same ankle), for which I am grateful. But I have to admit that I've shed some tears both from pain and frustration. Right now I am at work, but it's throbbing pretty badly.
#8 of 33 Old 10-13-2014, 12:17 PM
Special Member

That sucks Theia - sorry to hear about it. BTW - I was laughing my ass off at your over 40 comment on FB. I feel like everything went to **** at 40 though. Can't imagine what 45 will look like for me. lol.

Oh - and yes, I am definitely happy with my decision to pull the plug. It was hard to give in, but smart.
Timr1 likes this.
#9 of 33 Old 10-13-2014, 03:13 PM
Ron
Special Member

(((((Theia)))))

RIL you will be better than ever at 45. I wish I was 45 again.
#10 of 33 Old 10-13-2014, 05:42 PM
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninlaw View Post
T I was laughing my ass off at your over 40 comment on FB.
What'd I miss?

Wow, tired tonight.

RIL, I dnf'd 1 time, the last marathon I attempted. It was one of those freaky hot April days here (80+ degrees with 80% humidity at 7:30am). KP and I were running together, and after hearing me try to speak to one of the water stop people, he asked me a few questions. Which I answered, but was difficult to understand. WAAAAY dehydrated and incoherent. "Kath, I think you need to stop." We talked about it for a minute, and then stepped off the course just past the half way point (thankfully he wanted to stop too for his own reasons.)

It's a hard thing. But very smart to not make things worse.
#11 of 33 Old 10-14-2014, 07:25 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

I wish I was 45 again.
I wish I were 40. I liked 40 a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katholeenie View Post
What'd I miss?
RIL wrote something like, "Sometimes it's hard being 40." I commented, "40 was fine. Everything went to sh!t when I hit 45!" I'm just a ray of sunshine, aren't I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katholeenie View Post
It's a hard thing. But very smart to not make things worse.
1!
#12 of 33 Old 10-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's I hope to get something in tonight I might run with the dog. The new dog isn't going to be a runner she more or less flops around a lot. Today we have another training in the tallest building in LA. Last week we looked out the window on the 64th floor (building is 75 floors) and took pictures.

I don't think I have really started to fall apart I am pretty healthy and rarely hurt but I take longer to recover so I too am going to go back to 40 Theia.

[QUOTE=theia;2088289]I wish I were 40. I liked 40 a lot.
#13 of 33 Old 10-14-2014, 08:33 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
I liked 42. Now I understand the significance of that number!

Tim, I did Arbitron Radio survey this summer for a week. I can't remember how I blew my $2...

Didn't have time for a real run yesterday, so I ran a bunch of laps around my driveway loop before dinner. It must have done something for me, because I woke up in the middle of the night and my legs were sweating like crazy!

RIL - I keep thinking that the positive takeaway is that you got in a 17 mile MP run. I can't remember the last time I did that hard of an effort.

Ron, that building sounds like a fun place to hang out for a while.
#14 of 33 Old 10-14-2014, 09:29 AM
Ron
Special Member

Duck they have a race up the building every year. It sounds like a lot of fun.
#15 of 33 Old 10-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Special Member

Duck - your profile pic is cracking me up. What is the significance of 42? That's right around the corner for me, so I hope it's good.

I agree that a 17 mile marathon pace run is great. I am taking a couple of days off, but hoping to maintain my fitness with easy runs. No speedy stuff as I need my butt to recover, but I am in great shape otherwise and hate to lose it all.

Theia - sorry to hear about your ankle. That sucks. BTW - I like 40. I just hate the fact that it takes me longer to recover from workouts. I remember in my mid 30s I'd read about masters runners and how they have to generally run less mileage and build in more recovery. I'd say to myself, not me. Yeah. And here I am.....
#16 of 33 Old 10-14-2014, 03:31 PM
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckgeek View Post
I liked 42. Now I understand the significance of that number!
A) HI SUNSHINE!!!

2) Cause that's where I am? HAHAHA!

Got a ton of stuff done today, and was looking forward leaving at 5, but then got called into a meeting at 4:55 that lasted till 5:50.... Guess I was lucky it wasn't worse. Boss can go on tangents for HOURS. Good thing in the meeting, Bully got shot down on a stink she was trying to raise.

It's pouring here, so no walk with the boy. Not sure what I'm going to do. (Of course there is stuff I SHOULD be doing, but...)
#17 of 33 Old 10-14-2014, 03:37 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4
(((theia's ankle))) i'm sorry about the sprain - they're a pain!!!

recover well, RIL. you have nothing but my respect for listening to your body and knowing when to pull the plug. you're still a BAMF in my book!

ron! more puppy pics, please!!! hows potty training coming along?

hi katho! i'm glad it was nice/warm enough out by you for an outdoor movie this past weekend. we're also having a bit of a warm fall - 74 today and there are NO complaints from me!!!

duck, running loops in your driveway shows your dedication. wow. although, i imagine your driveway to be somewhat longer than mine!

i spent the past two days recovering from the in laws' visit. all in all, it went better than expected which i'm thankful for. my MIL seems to have mellowed out a bit and i think its due to being well (and i mean very well) medicated.

i'm headed off to work tonight in about an hour and then we're off to chicago tomorrow for a week!!!!!! DH has a work conference so AK and i are tagging along and then staying through next wed with my sister and will visit some dear friends. i've missed chicago so much and i'm excited to be visiting!
#18 of 33 Old 10-14-2014, 03:40 PM
Special Member

Likes Given: 4
oh! and 5 miles this morning with bella along the sound and beach. there was about a half mile or so where it felt like... hmmm. how do i describe it? well, i basically felt like my old form where i was flying along effortlessly. it was exhilirating. then it ended and i continued to clomp along like i normally do. heh. i'm not quite 40 yet but sometimes i feel like it!

one last thing, i made the recipe that bard shared on FB - curried butternut squash stew and it was amaaaaaaaaaaazing. so, so yum. i added extra lentils and my family slurped it down. amazing.
#19 of 33 Old 10-14-2014, 03:49 PM
Addicted Member

Re: the age thing. I still remember way back into early 20s, my parents called me on my birthday. I made some crack about feeling old. And I remember my mom telling me that I had nothing to worry about until 25, cuz that's when it starts going downhill.

Of course now I'm way past 25. I didn't run my first marathon until I was 34, so on that respect I was in better shape then than I was in my early 20s. Maybe the same could even be said now. But then again, it would be nice to go back to 25 knowing what I know now and train for a marathon. I'd like to know how fast I could have done it. ..
#20 of 33 Old 10-14-2014, 07:29 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Given: 6
Hello all - Bard and I had a pretty busy weekend; we took a little food tour around the city (touring some of the best breakfast spots around this area; we're both big breakfast/brunch fans), watching a friend of Bard's play later that night, and then a beer tasting and a movie (the cheesy but still fun Tremors) on Sunday. I had Columbus Day off, but I was kind of a bump on a log yesterday and just kinda' appreciated it being quiet.

Mindi - you're sporting an awesome attitude; that and seeing all the runners out there makes me want to get back out there and run more regularly (I got my trainer flywheel back, so I'm thinking I'll be doing a lot more work on the trainer plus mix in some Crossfit stuff though.)

Timr - glad to hear you weren't one of casualties of the merger; sounds like you got some exciting stuff going on tho'

Missy - glad you loved the recipe; Bard tends to pick out a lot more winners than duds, which is something I'm grateful about

Hurrah for not feeling like you're 100, Kath!

Ron - love the puppy pics; post some more please

It's a crazy season again boB - like I said, I'm betting we'll be getting a whole heap of 1-loss teams and a whole lot of controversy over who gets in and who doesn't

Hope the ankle is feeling better Theia (((((healing ankle gropes))))))

Age...hmmm, I'm starting to look at the odometer on the second digit creaking from 4 to 5...how'd that happen so fast?

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog
#21 of 33 Old 10-15-2014, 08:38 AM
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's I was able to hit the gym this morning and lift so I can concentrate on a run tonight. Something North of 5 would be awesome. It will probably happen on the TM since it will be dark. I do need to take more puppy pics. It is hard to take pictures of her because her face is black so you can't really see her eyes. She is very sweet and still a little scared. She is so funny on walks she just flops all over the place and is happy as can be. Both dogs play and Cici lets Minnie (her given name) know who is boss on occasion.

RIL I met a young attorney yesterday that ran Chicago and was back to work on Monday morning here is LA. It must be good to be young.

Kath I hate late meetings. I take the train so everyone knows when I have to leave.

Missy have fun in Chicago. I love that city too. I might be going to a conference in Denver in Dec.

Bob just keep going it bothers me less about what kind of shape I use to be in these days.

Moon is the whole City of Columbus shut down on Columbus day?
#22 of 33 Old 10-15-2014, 12:10 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7
Greetings, all!

Spinning + Bodypump last night, as usual. Spinning just about did me in... not because the class was extremely challenging, but because someone in the room apparently had put on perfume or cologne recently, and when amplified by body heat, it was far more than my allergies/sinuses could deal with. I was a sniffling, snoffling mess. >< Glad the music was relatively loud so everyone couldn't hear me.

Today, (in less than an hour, actually) I had back to physical therapy to see if we can come up with a strength training routine for hips/core that will allow me to run more than 4 miles without a little pinchy/stabby feeling in my rump putting me in check. I'm sort of excited. Sort of nervous, too. go figure.

Thiea - hope you're feeling a little better today. I know an ankle sprain won't disappear in a few days, but still... hopefully the days of it throbbing and interrupting life will be out of the way soon.

Missybabe - Hurray for freedom and a bonus trip!

Ron - need more pup pictures, please!

Nuts.. there was more I intended to say, but I need to boogie and get back to work! Later gators! Have a great evening!
#23 of 33 Old 10-15-2014, 05:38 PM
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy1102 View Post
hi katho! i'm glad it was nice/warm enough out by you for an outdoor movie this past weekend. we're also having a bit of a warm fall - 74 today and there are NO complaints from me!!!
HI MISSY!!

I wouldn't say it was warm. You can't see from the pics I took that I was dressed like Randy from A Christmas Story. (Lost count of how many layers I had on. And B's big anorak. Plus a blanket over my legs.)

Spectacular acting in Amityville Horror. Even funnier to think about James Brolin being married to Barbara Streisand now. I've never seen any of his other movies or whatever, but... I always expected him to be a higher caliber actor. HAHAHA!

It's a HUGE comfort to me to hear it takes you guys longer to recover too.

Walked a few miles in a downpour with O tonight. He needed it badly; skipping was not an option. I toweled him off well after, but he takes forever to dry. Right now he is at the POOF stage of dryness. heh.

I made German potato salad tonight. But with butternut instead of potatoes. YUMMY.

Um... there was something else but I can't remember what.
#24 of 33 Old 10-16-2014, 07:18 AM
Addicted Member

Good morning, everyone. Hope y'all are well on this Thursday...

Today is DD's 7th birthday. Wow, time flies...

I don't think I mentioned that I bought a new Garmin Forerunner 220 to replace the 610 that died. (Although I'm trying Duck's suggestion for trying to ressurect it). I like the 220. It's very lightweight, and it's very basic. It doesn't have a "virtual training partner" or a bunch of the other bells and whistles that the 610 had. But since I never used those, I didn't think it was worthwhile to spend another $200 for them. This watch measures my time and distance, and it uploads the data to RunningAhead. That's all I want, and it seems to do it just fine...
#25 of 33 Old 10-16-2014, 08:07 AM
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's I got in a good workout last night a little over 5 and finished my weight workout. Tonight I might take my son to practice so I can workout again. The puppy is doing better every day. I think she is finally realizing she is not going any where. i think our other dog is too. She does get jealous at times so we are all trying to compensate for that. Her main problem right now is that she will wait forever to go potty.

Ailarie when you do spinning and body pump does that mean you have 2 hours of classes? You rock!

Kath my dog (not sure about the puppy) would never walk out in the rain.

Bob I got the garmin 110 about a year ago. I don't need fancy so it is perfect for me. I just need time, distance and pace and I am all set.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page