30's October 6-12 where is the sun going? - KickRunners.com
 7Likes

#1 of 45 Old 10-06-2014, 07:49 AM - Thead Starter
Ron
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 22
30's October 6-12 where is the sun going?

Morning 30's I just wanted to get us started. I had some good workout this weekend and we also decided to get another dog. If all goes well we will have Minnie on Friday. Cici needs a friend during the day. DD ended up watching her Soph girls finish second. She probably would have finished 3rd with those girls. Oh well there is always this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 45 Old 10-06-2014, 08:06 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
Ron, we need pics!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of dogs, I filled out paperwork to adopt a rescue last week but haven't heard anything. Boo.

My long - and I use the word loosely - runs in September were 7, 7.1, 5.8, and 6.6 miles. So what did I do? I started October by cranking out 9.1 yesterday. It's amazing what cooler temps can do! My hip flexors are barking at me today, though. I must spend some quality time with a foam roller later.
#3 of 45 Old 10-06-2014, 08:32 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1
Hello, folks. I hope everyone is well on this Monday morning...

Congrats to BigG and the others who ran TCM!

So last night I registered myself for the Charleston SC Marathon on Jan 17. I guess that means I'll end 2014 with only two marathons, which is my lowest total since 2006, including the year I broke my ankle. Oh well. Now I just have to train myself back up to where I can stumble thru 26.2 miles.

I still don't have any official word on whether I'm in Boston or not. Hmm...

#4 of 45 Old 10-06-2014, 10:34 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
Four miles yesterday. My legs have been wonky, sore knees, etc. Probably need new shoes!

I don't think I've mentioned that Mila had a nice PR in XC recently. She has been struggling with a calf issue which had limited her practice runs (she was doing all of the other core stuff). I gave her a deep calf massage before school on the day of her meet and it seems to have allowed her to run with no pain until the cool down. She's probably never going to be a speedster, but I think she has realized that exercise can be part of her life now.
Timr1 and katholeenie like this.
#5 of 45 Old 10-06-2014, 11:05 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3
Hey folks!

Big congrats to BigG and the rest of our TCMers!

Get some new shoes STAT, Duck! Glad to hear Mila is feeling better and had a good race!

Yay for new puppies Ron. We definitely need pics!

Theia - nice run! It is funny how much better running is in cooler temps. Now go roll those hips out!

Tonight is the last XC meet for my boys - I hope they have fun. It is a great day here for it (high of 56).

In good news, I think my butt is going to be okay by Sunday. Probably not 100%, but workable. Now I just need to stave off the head cold that seems to be settling in. Ugh - DS has had it for 3 weeks and it is a wicked one. Please pass the Airborne and hand sanitizer.
#6 of 45 Old 10-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Addicted Member

Fabulous. The Florida Gators looked terrible this weekend, and only managed to score against a crummy Tennessee team after yanking the starting QB and putting in the freshman backup. But the backup looked pretty good, and gave us a little hope moving forward. But now said backup has been accused of sexually assaulting a female student, and has been suspended indefinately. How are these players still so stupid? You'd think that everything that's going on with the NFL would make these idiots think twice before doing something like this...

Well, if nothing else, at least the school reacted swiftly and suspended him immediately. Stark contrast to what happened down the road at FSU, where their QB played the entire season last year under suspicion of the exact same charge, supposedly with the local police and/or the school supressing evidence to keep the star player on the field...

Stupid stupid people...
Timr1 and Runninlaw like this.
#7 of 45 Old 10-06-2014, 02:05 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 14
Likes Given: 20
Duck - Congrats to your daughter!! And in the sore knees new shoes category. I had my strongest long run in probably over a year on Saturday. I ran with two other guys and we did 17 miles at 8:05 pace with many miles in the sub 8 range. But then, after, my right knee (well just above it) started to feel tweaked/wonky. This has happened before and I don't think it's anything structural. Probably just too many miles in racing shoes that are getting to be too old.

So, I went and ordered a new pair of Ghost 7s and took Sunday off. Knee felt better today on an easy 6 miles during lunch, but still a little sore. I'm hopeful that it'll go away as quick as it showed up.

Busy weekend with a football game Friday night, Band competition Saturday night, and DS had a travel tournament all day yesterday.

Goon - Awesome work on the new marathon PR.

Also, over on FB, Dom ran the TC marathon this weekend too.

I'm sure I'm missing stuff here, but I need to get back to work.
#8 of 45 Old 10-07-2014, 07:52 AM - Thead Starter
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's I am hoping to lift tonight. Today there a few of us are going to a lunch training other than that nothing too exciting. The dog we are getting is a rescue. She is about 5 months old and is a mix of dog and a ball of hair. On a sadder note there were a group of kids that went to a Halloween themed night at Knotts Berry farm. There were 6 kids in the car and the driver was 16 but didn't have a license. The car ended up going off the overpass on the freeway at 2 am and there were no survivors. Two of the kids went to my kids HS. It is a terrible thing but a reminder to know what your kids are doing and who they are with.

Theia of course there will be pictures. We sent in paper work on Sunday night and heard back right away. Then spent the next couple of hours exchanging emails.

Bob I love Charleston. What a great place for a marathon.

Duck I love watching XC. Great job to your daughter.

Yeah for RIL's butt.

Nice run Tim.
#9 of 45 Old 10-07-2014, 09:21 AM
Special Member

Oh Ron, that is so sad. That stuff really scares me as my kiddos are getting to that age they'll be with driving friends. It is amazing we all lived through the teen years - praying our kids do too!

Last XC meet was epic. James led the first half, then his buddy took him and beat him by 4 seconds. The fun thing was DS and his teammates were 1-4. Great way to end the season. So fun to watch those boys tear it up.

So here is my status: DS1 has had a wicked cold and I've felt like I am starting to get something. So I went to bed early and slept in. Felt pretty good, but stopped at Walgreens to load up on Zicam and Airborne just in case. I also did my last pre-race workout. 45 minutes with 3 x 1 mile strength intervals. I did the first 2 and felt great, but considered stopping there (why push it). Butt started getting a little barky during the last one, so I shut it down at .75. The good news is it wasn't painful at all and I feel great now. Yay! I think my original goal of 3:20 is unlikely, but I think a sub 3:30 would be pretty awesome. So I'm going to go out at an 8:00 pace (rather than 7:35) and see what happens. All I want at this point it a strong race. A PR is nice, but doesn't seem in the cards. So the goal is to run smart and finish strong. Wish me luck!
#10 of 45 Old 10-07-2014, 12:30 PM
Special Member

#11 of 45 Old 10-07-2014, 03:26 PM
Special Member

RIL - LUCK!!!!

Ron - That is such a sad story, I can't imagine.

I got in about 5 miles today at lunch. It was pretty good. A weather change is coming, so it was good to get out in the sun.
#12 of 45 Old 10-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
GO RIL!!!

(((Ron)))

Ran a few with O this morning. Supposed to have a blood moon tomorrow morning, so I'm hoping we'll be able to see it while we're out.
#13 of 45 Old 10-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 6
Howdy all - well, after a lot of travel and time with the parents and others, we wanted to have a low-key weekend, so we kinda' took it easy. Well, we babysat Bard's sister's kids on Friday, but other than that, we had a pretty slow weekend, as we caught up on some things and relaxed.

Starting up with a CF thing again; it's tough to restart that stuff. Had to send in my trainer flywheel back to Cycleops for either repair or replacement; I'm very happy that they have a lifetime guarantee on those and that I'll be getting it back before that w-word hits

Great job BigG, Brandy and all the TCM Runners!

Mindi - wishing you speedy vibes this weekend!

Cool to hear that you're getting a dog Ron...and here's hoping the your application for a new dog comes in soon Theia

boB - cool to hear that you're going to Charleston; that would be our destination city next time we get down to SC.

Congrats to Mila, Duck! Got some speedy kids around this group that's for sure.

Anyway, hope you're all doing well, and here's to good rest of the week for everyone

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog
#14 of 45 Old 10-08-2014, 05:06 AM
Addicted Member

Ron, that's a terrible story...

RIL, I hadn't heard about that story, but I guess I can't say I'm too surprised. It shows that the Richie Incognito type of thing isn't limited to the NFL. On the other hand, your link doesn't give too many details. It's possible that the school board over-reacted and blew it out of proportion. I certainly don't know anything more than what's in that article, but it reminds me of the Duke lacrosse thing a few years ago where the team cancelled their entire season over what turned out to be false accusations. I'm not saying that's what happened here, by any means. Just that it reminds me of that...

And if the QB situation at Florida couldn't get any worse... Our first-stringer stinks and got pulled in the last game. The second-stringer came in and did well, but then got suspended on an accusation of sexual assault. And then yesterday the third-stringer got in a fight with an offensive lineman and ended up in the hostpital. Meanwhile, the fourth-stringer (who is red-shirting this year) is bothered by back spasms. The way this is going, I might be taking some snaps in the game vs LSU this weekend...

Anyhoo, I ran 3 miles yesterday. Whooppee..
#15 of 45 Old 10-08-2014, 07:11 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbob View Post
The way this is going, I might be taking some snaps in the game vs LSU this weekend...
lol.

Morning folks.

Moonie - good luck getting back into CF. Speaking of CF, I wonder how Marier is doing.

I ran 35 minutes easy this morning. My HR was high and my HRM chafed me like **** despite only running 4 miles and having body glide on. Harumpf. I've been trying to get lots of sleep. Hoping to start feeling rested, fresh and snappy soon. Fingers crossed.
#16 of 45 Old 10-08-2014, 08:02 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
TEXT EXCHANGE AT 7 A.M. TODAY:

Me - Do you want to do a marathon?
Running partner - Have you been drinking?

#17 of 45 Old 10-08-2014, 08:12 AM - Thead Starter
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's I didnt have time to workout last night so I will be sure to get something in tonight. We have a big meeting with the State today and I am not so sure how well it is going to go. I need to run more. I need to run more. I need to run more.

RIL yeah for James and you will do great!!!

Nice run Duck.

Kath the moon was really bright.

Moon the new dog is going to be good for our current dog we are really excited.

Way to get the run in Bob.

Theia I am still waiting for your response.
#18 of 45 Old 10-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninlaw View Post

Morning folks.

I ran 35 minutes easy this morning. My HR was high and my HRM chafed me like **** despite only running 4 miles and having body glide on. Harumpf. I've been trying to get lots of sleep. Hoping to start feeling rested, fresh and snappy soon. Fingers crossed.

I know that pain. I got a new HRM with my new TomTom and while it's a nice unit with a soft strap, I failed to get it adjusted properly. So it rubbed me the first time I wore it. So I adjusted it and made it worse. I cut me...like a 3.5 inch long cut going across my chest. So I haven't been wearing it at all until I heal up.

I have 13 miles today during lunch...so it's a long lunch. A deuce as Joe would say.
#19 of 45 Old 10-08-2014, 08:50 AM
Special Member

Timr - I hear you. I don't know why, but the new soft-strap HRMs just tear me up. I know I can't use mine for long runs, but I figured I'd be fine in 37 degrees and only 35 minutes. Sheesh. Need to try to resurrect the old thick plastic one - at least that didn't cut into me. Maybe I'll just be stuck using it to monitor resting HR.....

Ron - still want to see a pic of the new fur baby.

Theia - so are you doing a full?!?
#20 of 45 Old 10-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4
hi guys.

the in laws are driving me bonkers. they leave on sunday. only 4 days to go.

go RIL go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i want to see doggie pics, too!
#21 of 45 Old 10-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7
Howdy all!

Ron - Two more days till puppy-dom! Rawr! Can't wait to see the pics

Theia - any more word on your pup adoption application?

Bob - Rawr for registering. (and it didn't even require alcohol!)

Missybabe - it's not much, but I have a spare room in Georgia if you wanna.. ya know... GetTheHellOuttaDodge for a few days! /snicker

I hope you guys (or you'uns, for official southern speak) are all having a great day, and have exciting things going on for the upcoming weekend!

Running: It's been minimal for me. That glute/hammy issue is still present, though I must say.. doing self-administered PT exercises at home is helping a tiny bit. I can't tell much difference when I run a whopping 3 miles, but in bodypump, when we've been down on the bench for chest or tri work, the way I get up is to bring the right leg up, mostly straighten it, and then drop it down in a hurry, sort of using it as a lever to pop the rest of my body up. Before, that process would always cause the area in question to tighten up. Now? Not so much.

I will go ahead and talk to the PT folks though and start heading back to them. Luckily the same company that I went to before (and was quite pleased with) just opened a new office in town. They're maybe 12 miles away now. Yeehaw!

Later, gator.

Edit: HAH! GetTheHellOuttaDodge passed the censors. Muhahahaha!

Last edited by Ailarie; 10-08-2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Amusement addition
#22 of 45 Old 10-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Special Member

boB - it looks like Florida is trying to handle the Treon Harris situation as best they can in light of all of the recent "other" stories. Put it this way, I don't think he'll be playing any time soon, and he probably won't be stealing any crab legs.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor...all_tab_tw_top

My run = ugh! I cut it a little short at 11.8 miles. Lunch time humidity was Blech! so I was sweating like 10 whole men. Now I just feel Blah and beat down. Glad that's over with.
#23 of 45 Old 10-08-2014, 02:32 PM
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninlaw View Post
This story has really grown. It's all over the news now. And it's really gotten quite vile. In other words, it seems the school board is NOT over-reacting by cancelling the season. Quite disturbing stuff...

NJ.com article

Last edited by gatorbob; 10-09-2014 at 07:48 AM.
#24 of 45 Old 10-08-2014, 04:57 PM
Special Member

Ran 6ish miles at lunch today. Still clunky. I'm thinking of trying out some Hoka Cliftons. Anyone have any experience with them?
#25 of 45 Old 10-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
We watched the eclipse this morning on our run. Got to see the whole thing... was pretty neat, but Oskar was not impressed. ha.

Where are the dog pics??? COME ON RON!!!

Speaking of bullying, I watched the keynote speakers at the Adobe Max conference online yesterday. One of the speakers was Lee Hirsch, the guy who directed the movie Bully. Some of the scenes he showed were completely heartbreaking. It was a powerful talk though.

Finally stopped raining, so I was able to get a little more tuck pointing done tonight. It's getting dark so early now. AAAAA!

((((((Missy))))))) Deep breaths. Four more days. Well, 3 now.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page