30's September 8-14 Fall runs and cooler temps around the corner - KickRunners.com
 1Likes

#1 of 36 Old 09-08-2014, 09:01 AM - Thead Starter
Ron
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 22
30's September 8-14 Fall runs and cooler temps around the corner

Morning 30's a few good workouts this weekend and some time with the kids. It is kind of raining here today. Not much but enough to make it humid.

Kath I wear a running belt type thing. It keeps my phone pretty tight so it doesn't bounce around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 36 Old 09-08-2014, 09:29 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3
Morning Ron!

I ran my long run yesterday in the middle of the day. It was hot and I was dehydrated. Ugh. By I got just under 13 miles in at around an 8:45 pace. Then I went and watched my friends in Ironman. Always fun and inspiring although I have no desire to do it myself.

Today is my rest day. The rest of the week I'll be working my @ss off though, so I'll take it.
#3 of 36 Old 09-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4
hi guys,

we had a busy weekend with hosting a baby shower and a wedding. it was lots of fun catching up with good friends but exhausting. i'm getting old!! and possibly becoming more introverted than i used to be? maybe.

not a lot of fitnessing. i'm trying to walk bella more.

i have a staycation this week - as does alicat, i believe wish we lived closer so we could go out for lunch and/or a long walk with the pups!

happy belated birthday to moonie!!!!!!

#4 of 36 Old 09-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7
Greetings folks! Quick fly-by here.

Saturday's HM was pretty painful, as expected. The knees held up okay, but the piraformis/sciatic attachment started barking at the end of mile 4. I had to walk (slog) far more miles than expected, but I finished the thing, at least. The muscles are mostly back to normal by now, but the piraformis is still kind of stabby. Unsure if that is a muscle imbalance thing or what, but admittedly, when I started back to spinning and bodypump, I stopped doing all PT type exercises for hip strength. Guess I might should start picking those back up. (assuming I can remember them at this point). I had thought that this HM would be the last one, (not sure I want to really put my body through that much training anymore) but after doing so piss-poorly, (Personal worst) I think I may have to try at least one more to redeem myself.

All that aside, like Missybabe, - (I too wish we lived closer!) I am on stay-cation right now. (going back on Friday.) Enjoyed a visit with a friend and her 3 week old little one. (and her 4 year old.) Good gracious, I'm tired and exhausted from just trying to keep up with baby girl. Hungry? Need a diaper change? Want different scenery? Want to be held differently? Want to be on the floor? Want me to walk you around? Want me to rock you? ARGH! What do you want child?! (and how the **** can such a large voice come from such a tiny human?!?!) For all you folks who have stayed home with little ones (especially if you already have another little one at home), you guys are freaking amazing. Four hours with baby girl, and I'm exhausted. (not that I'd trade a moment of it, but I am admittedly surprised at how much that visit took out of me! Hopefully I gave my friend a little bit of a break today, while also providing her with some companionship for a little while!)

Recovery on Sunday and I was too busy today to think about it. (Though my biceps are sore from holding baby girl!) Tomorrow, I'll return to bodypump and spinning.

Hope you guys are having a great evening!
#5 of 36 Old 09-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Given: 6
Hi all! Had a pretty fun birthday weekend. We ended up entertaining Bard's sister's kids over in Detroit by bringing them to the Tigers game. The game was essentially my birthday present, as it was an opportunity to catch the San Francisco Giants somewhere close to here. The kids had fun and my team won, so all around a pretty good day.

On my birthday itself, I just really enjoyed sitting around and watching football, getting stuff like laundry done. We'll be busy beavers the next few weeks, so it was a good time to catch the proverbial breath.

Looking for some motivation to get my activity level up; thinking of throwing in a whole bunch of stuff in the pot and seeing what sticks.

Sounds like you had some fun but busy weekends there Ailarie and Missy, and the rest of you are getting some fitnessing in. Good job!

Anyway, going to get back to watching Monday Night Football; hope everyone is doing well!

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog
#6 of 36 Old 09-09-2014, 07:33 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1
Good morning, everyone. Glad you made it through the HM, Ailarie. Nice job!

Sounds like you guys had some fun weekends. Nothing too interesting happened here in NJ. I was just happy to be home for the weekend, for the first time in a while...

My running is still coming back slowly. I'm slow and I can't run very far before getting tired. But at least I'm getting out there, so hopefully I'll eventually get back close to where I was...

Okay, on another note... A guy at work sent this link out. It's been on YouTube for a long time, but I'd never seen it before. And it's really funny...

#7 of 36 Old 09-09-2014, 07:45 AM
Special Member

Congrats again on the half Ailarie. Sorry it didn't go as you wanted it to, but I am glad you finished and aren't hurt.

Jealous of the staycations - enjoy!

Happy belated birthday Moonie!

Glad you are back at it bOb.

Serious workout for me this morning. 99 minutes - 12.25 miles with strength intervals (6 x 1 mile @ 7:25 pace; .5 mile recoveries). The good news was the weather was perfect (55 degrees and overcast). I also felt much better than last week doing these. I will admit the last few miles were hard though as my legs were TIRED.

Have a good Tuesday!
#8 of 36 Old 09-09-2014, 09:37 AM - Thead Starter
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's I just have time to say hi and hope everyone is doing well. I got to the gym this morning and drove to work. Man I hate driving. Oh well we are going to the Dodgers game for a work event so that should be a lot of fun.
#9 of 36 Old 09-09-2014, 11:27 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
Ron, you hate driving because you live in congested SoCal, or you just hate driving in general?

I had my first PT appointment for my hamstring on Saturday. It was B.R.U.T.A.L. I am still sore! The PT is trying to break up scar tissue that's been there since May 2012. You can imagine how great that feels. In addition to no lunges or back extensions, I am forbidden (temporarily) from doing hills, sprints, or bleachers. I am OK with skipping hill repeats and track workouts for a while, but I told the PT I have one more bleacher workout and then my race on the 20th, so I am going against his will on that one.
#10 of 36 Old 09-09-2014, 06:47 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
helloooooooooo!

Walked O a few miles this morning. As the day progressed I became sneezier. At this point it's pretty obvious I'm getting a cold. It needs to go away NOW!!! I have plans this week!! Darnit. I need to not be a giant snot ball. (SEXAY!!! )

There is a snoring dog next to me. Snoring as loud as an adult man. Any guess who?
#11 of 36 Old 09-10-2014, 05:02 AM
Special Member

Good morning, everyone!

Well.. no spinning or BP for me after, all. Today, new flooring is being installed in part of the house, and I ended up seriously underestimating the time it was going to take for me to prep the area in question. (It's amazing how many trinkets one has - AND - how many cables there are to various electronic devices at one's main TV / entertainment console.)

So.. the dogs and I are up early, as the installers will be here in 60-90 minutes. I'm hoping that everything will be finished today, but time will tell on that one.

We're starting to get slightly cooler temps in... hope you guys are also enjoying the same change in the weather!
#12 of 36 Old 09-10-2014, 06:24 AM
Special Member

Morning all.

Kath -sorry to hear you are getting sick. I have a little head cold too. The worst was it came with headaches late last week. I am a big baby when it comes to headaches.

Theia - dang girl, you just can't catch a break. Recover well!

Ailarie - yay for new floors! Which one did you end up choosing?

I was up at 4:30 am for my run as DH had to get in early and the boys get on the bus at 7. I ran 75 minutes nice and easy (9:25 pace). My legs were a little sore from yesterday's workout, so I took it slow. It was dark and pouring rain, which was fun, but I ended up supah chafed despite using liberal amounts of Body Glide. I have a busy remainder of the week, so it will be very early mornings for me.

Have a great day!
#13 of 36 Old 09-10-2014, 08:55 AM
Special Member

mindi is TEARING it up!!!!! holy smokes. where's that "i'm not worthy" emoticon?! i'm super excited for you. i have a really great feeling re: chicago!

i'm also curious, alicat, as to which color you ended up going with for floors. you were leaning towards the darker shade, yes? oh, and how's your recovery coming along?

katho is a sexy snot ball!

how are you feeling, amichel? it sounded like you were under the weather for a while. hope you're feeling better!

oy, theia. that sounds painful. but necessary. i'm thinking i might need to go back to PT for my darn left knee again. its really started to flare up. even more so since i'm not running as much (WTF).

bob, sometimes all we can do is keep getting out there. do you have any local races planned?

hey ron. how is DD doing in cross country? rain is good! you guys have a drought - soak up every darn bit of it

i am finally getting a haircut today. its been months and its the longest its been since i can remember.. and by default, too - i just haven't found/made time for a haircut.

bella and i walked 3ish miles this morning by the sound and it was gorgeous.

i just bought AK new running shoes. we have a local turkey trot and this is the first year in 5 that i'm NOT working thanksgiving (working NYE's instead) so i will run the 5 miler then she and i will have a go at the 1 mile race. but i want her to do a tiny bit training with me.. see if we can get her 12:48 mile PR down

good days, all!!
#14 of 36 Old 09-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninlaw View Post
Morning all.

Kath -sorry to hear you are getting sick. I have a little head cold too. The worst was it came with headaches late last week. I am a big baby when it comes to headaches.
I don't do headaches either.

Woke up with a full fledged cold. Head ache and snotty leaky mess. My teeth even hurt. So I called off. As much as my eyes are watering I can't look at a monitor for long, and people don't need me sneezing on them. And I can't find any drugs that I can take that don't have decongestants. REALLY don't need to be any runnier than I already am.

Had a nap squished between Oskar and Bob this morning, which was quite lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy1102 View Post

katho is a sexy snot ball!

...i might need to go back to PT for my darn left knee again. its really started to flare up. even more so since i'm not running as much (WTF).
1) not so much!!!

2) My back is worse when I don't run. But doc asked me to stop again, so... Seems like one of those use it or lose it situations. That's why I've been walking so much.

Speaking of, I didn't get a walk in this morning.

Jeez. I thought I heard B burp (he is in another room), but no, it's just Bob making noise as he deals with some... personal hygiene.
#15 of 36 Old 09-10-2014, 06:37 PM
Special Member

Rehi, all!

RiL - Dayum woman.. you are a beast. Getting up at 4:30am on a workday for a run?! Holy smokes! BAMF, inndeed.

Kath - Hope the cold blows over quickly!

Theia - I hope PT starts bringing you some relief. (without a lot of ouchies in the process.)

Missybabe - I just love the thought of you and AK doing runs together. Seriously.. it just makes me smile!

My glute/piraforms/sciatic area still is not really letting up entirely from the HM. During the day, for the most part, it's okay - unless I sit for a while. At night though.. yeowch.. sometimes I'll try to change positions in my sleep and the sharp pain jolts me away. Grr. Of course, in all fairness, I've been so busy on stay-cation, that honestly , I haven't been attacking the area with my foam roller or lacrosse ball. Duh.

My floors are finished. The below pics give a fair before/after comparison. I'm happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2799.jpg (223.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2843.jpg (209.9 KB, 4 views)
#16 of 36 Old 09-11-2014, 08:06 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1
Hiya, guys. Ailarie and Theia, I hope you guys heal up quick. And Kath, I hope you feel better soon. RIL, I'm always amazed at what a running-machine you are...

Yesterday was kind of an off day for me. I picked DD up from school and we went to the track and ran/walked a mile. Her interest in running had been waning a bit and she was out of practice. But yesterday she was excited to get back it. It was a slow mile, but it was fun...

Missy, you asked if I have any local races planned. I'm not registered for anything right now, but there are three 5ks in my area coming up soon (Sep 21, Sep 29, and Oct 4). I'll do all or some of those. I'm sure I'll they'll be among my slowest 5ks, but so be it. I'm afriad that this summer has turned a corner for me into a new, slower phase of my running career... There's also a HM at the end of October that I might do. The race director is a friend of mine, and I've done his race all three previous years that he did it. So I might as well keep another streak going. Plus, it should be a good test to see how close I am to getting back to marathon distance...
#17 of 36 Old 09-11-2014, 08:53 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katholeenie View Post
My teeth even hurt.
Go to the doctor. Last year I had my first ever sinus infection. When I finally went to the doctor (still thinking it was the worst cold of my life), he asked if my teeth hurt. Apparently, that's a sign of a sinus infection.

I did my final bleacher workout this morning. 4.5 miles and 1,320 steps. The race is September 20, so I will skip a bleacher workout next week in favor of some tempo-ish miles. Today was day 10 in a row without a day off from working out. Two of those 10 days were doubles (run in the a.m., lift and teach a class in the p.m.), so this morning was really workout #12 in a row without a break. I am very much looking forward to a rest day tomorrow. And looking much less forward to PT appointment #2 on Saturday.
#18 of 36 Old 09-11-2014, 08:55 AM - Thead Starter
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's I got in a couple of workouts the past 2 days so that is good. I lifted last night then started running and just stopped at 2 miles. I just didn't have the energy after a long day. Oh well tomorrow I am off.

Theia I don't like driving in traffic. I guess if I had a driver to take me places that is what I would prefer.

missy XC is going well do far I guess. My daughter just says that running makes her tired. Their first meet is Saturday and it is at their school so we will see. I am excited to watch her although I miss my sons soccer game.
#19 of 36 Old 09-11-2014, 08:57 AM - Thead Starter
Ron
Special Member

theia nice job on working out. Do you actually count each step?
#20 of 36 Old 09-11-2014, 08:58 AM
Special Member

Nice floor, Ailarie!!

Ron, I know how many steps are in each aisle and how many times I do each one. It's 40 rows on the home side x 4 aisles, plus 7 steps to get into the stands. The visitor side is only 18 rows but 5 aisles, plus 7 steps to get up. So I just calculate how many times I go up. The few times I've done bleachers by myself, I have entertained myself by doing the math while I'm running.
#21 of 36 Old 09-11-2014, 09:54 AM
Special Member

Quote:
mindi is TEARING it up!!!!! holy smokes. where's that "i'm not worthy" emoticon?! i'm super excited for you. i have a really great feeling re: chicago!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailarie View Post
RiL - Dayum woman.. you are a beast. Getting up at 4:30am on a workday for a run?! Holy smokes! BAMF, inndeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbob View Post
RIL, I'm always amazed at what a running-machine you are...
Thanks guys! I set my alarm for 4:30 again this morning but was sofa king tired. Did get up at 5 to log a workout. 75 minutes with 8 miles at goal race pace (7:35-7:40). It was 45 degrees and crazy windy. The wind made things a little harder, but holy smokes it is amazing how much easier it is to run faster in cool temps. This was much easier than my GMP workout last weekend in the heat. Which is awesome because I have been fearing this monster training week. Since it is going along swimmingly, I am so happy. Good confidence builder. Then I had to get ready fast to give a presentation this morning at 8:30 on some legal issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theia View Post
Go to the doctor. Last year I had my first ever sinus infection. When I finally went to the doctor (still thinking it was the worst cold of my life), he asked if my teeth hurt. Apparently, that's a sign of a sinus infection.
Yes.

So cool that your kiddos are running Missy and bOb!

Speaking of kids running, today is James' first XC meet. How do I know he is just like his momma? His first words when he woke up were, "It's race day!" Heh. He's heard that a few times. It is going to be cool today, so it should be an awesome afternoon for running. Unfortunately they aren't letting the 6th graders go, so Jake is out.

Have a great day!
#22 of 36 Old 09-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
Ailarie - Nice floor!

Theia - I need to hit the stadium steps to prepare for my hiking trip later on this month to The Enchantments in northern Washington. You inspire me!

Healing vibes to Kath.

Mila and I are experimenting with taking Beet Root extract capsules. I got a couple of bottles from Amazon. Inspired by articles like this: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/beets-and-beetroots I'll keep you informed on how it works out for us.
#23 of 36 Old 09-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninlaw View Post
I set my alarm for 4:30

Did get up at 5 to log a workout. 75 minutes with 8 miles at goal race pace (7:35-7:40).
oh mindi. just as we all pile on to compliment you, you slack off. i'm disappointed.

good luck to james!

alicat, the floors look marvelous!

i wish i could be like duck and be inspired by The Beast (aka theia) and do bleachers but sadly, i'm not.

wah wah.

i did spend the morning at the spa, however. since its my staycation, i decided to be kind to myself. so i got a deep tissue, massage, facial, and manicure. woooooooooooot!

now i have to get some more chores done before AK gets off school. later gators.
theia likes this.
#24 of 36 Old 09-11-2014, 12:48 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckgeek View Post
Theia - I need to hit the stadium steps to prepare for my hiking trip later on this month to The Enchantments in northern Washington. You inspire me!
I wish we lived closer for bleacher workouts together!!

Quote:
oh mindi. just as we all pile on to compliment you, you slack off. i'm disappointed.
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!! And your spa day sounds heavenly!!!!
#25 of 36 Old 09-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
Theia, I'm thinking of asking our trainers if I can borrow a neck sandbag thingy. Not sure how much they weigh, but it's gotta be easier than the Vision Quest method....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page