7/28 - 8/3/2014 - Back To School Season/Week - KickRunners.com
 2Likes

#1 of 49 Old 07-28-2014, 06:27 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7
7/28 - 8/3/2014 - Back To School Season/Week

Hola, all. Yes, schools are actually starting to start the 14/15 school year, here. Most start next week, but a neighboring county had kids report in this morning for day 1. Jeesh. I remember band camp going on for two weeks in the middle of August, starting school the last week of August, just in time to get the next Monday (Labor Day) as a holiday. Times have changes!

A big RAWR goes out to Moonie for his race this past weekend!

I actually ran on the TM yesterday. Not a run/walk gig, but an actual (albeit slow) run. 3 miles. Then I walked 1 as a cool down. Figured that sounded like a fair distance to shoot for. While my glutes and hips were barking yesterday (muscle soreness), the knees are holding up - which was my biggest area of concern, of course.

I have my next (and likely final) half marathon on Sept 6th. (local gig) Though I am woefully unprepared, even if I walked the entire thing, I should be able to finish under their time limit, but the idea of being able to run at least part of it makes me a happy camper. If I end with one of those silly little tiaras (this is a Diva series event), so be it!

I hope you guys all had a great weekend!

Last edited by Ailarie; 07-28-2014 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Added more stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 49 Old 07-28-2014, 07:41 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1
Back to school??? You mean public school, kids and teachers and what-not? Already?? School in my town doesn't start until Sep 4...

Well, I'm still not running. I'm slowly feeling better, but I'm still creaky. At this point, I've just about convinced myself that attempting the marathon in Idaho isn't worth it. I've got one more week before I can start running again, and even if I feel perfectly fine my first time back, I'm pretty sure there's no way I'll be ready to run 26.2 miles in less than 3 weeks time. Oh well. I'll go on this vacation and just forget about the race. I'll get back out to Idaho some other year...

Maybe I should find a fall race to concentrate on instead, but I think I'll wait at least until after my first/next run to see how I feel...
#3 of 49 Old 07-28-2014, 07:49 AM
Ron
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 22
Morning 30's I had a nice weekend. It started with a company picnic on Friday and ended with my aunts 80th birthday party. At the picnic we won a Cold Stone gift card so we won't wait long to use that as my daughters birthday is tomorrow. I had a good workout weekend even if I didn't run that much. I am pretty sure I am running a 10 mile race in October so I will start to focus on that.

Ailarie glad you are running a little. Sorry if I missed something but why would it be your last half? It seems like you are getting healthier.

Bob the City of Trees Marathon is in Boise on Oct 12th.

#4 of 49 Old 07-28-2014, 07:51 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3
Yay Ailarie! Rawr for 3 miles!

And a big rawr for Moonie too - saw the finish photo on FB - looking forward to hearing more about the race.

My 5k on Saturday was slow - 22:42, but good enough for an AG award. James ran another big PR - 19:21. He totally rocks.

Off day Sunday because we drove DS1 to camp. It was 3 hours away, so a day in the car. We had big storms and a ton of traffic on the way home too, so it was a white-knuckle kind of drive. Ugh.

Today is exciting because GOTR registration for Fall opened. My team and waiting list filled up in 15 minutes! Guess we are doing something right. Tonight we are having our spring team over to view our video. My team was one of 2 teams filmed. We are going to watch it, go for a short run together, then watch it again and eat some ice cream!

Check it out
#5 of 49 Old 07-28-2014, 07:57 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailarie View Post
Hola, all. Yes, schools are actually starting to start the 14/15 school year, here. Most start next week, but a neighboring county had kids report in this morning for day1!
Does. Not. Compute.

Congrats on the run Ailarie, and boo on no running for you Bob. I know how frustrating it is to miss a race. Been there way too many times to count. And big congrats to Moon for his du!!

My running is [knocking on wood] going much better than I expected at this point. Yesterday I ran for over an hour for the first time (1:04:55, all trails except for about 5-6 minutes). No pain whatsoever during or since - hooray! And I officially love my trail shoes. Every once in a while I feel my back tightening up, but I'm trying to be very mindful of it and stretch when I need to. GoV and I also got melted on Saturday, which felt amazing! http://www.meltmethod.com/

Happy Monday to all.
#6 of 49 Old 07-28-2014, 09:50 AM
Ron
Special Member

I forgot to congratulate Moon! Nice job!!
#7 of 49 Old 07-28-2014, 10:00 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbob View Post
Back to school??? You mean public school, kids and teachers and what-not? Already?? School in my town doesn't start until Sep 4...
Indeed. I've never seen school start up this early before. Granted, on that calendar, I think every 9 weeks, the kids get a full week off, and they'll wrap up the school year in very early May.. but still... I find it to be an annoying schedule.

Hope you continue to mend, Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Ailarie glad you are running a little. Sorry if I missed something but why would it be your last half? It seems like you are getting healthier.
I am healing, yes.. but realistically, I know that running is hard on the knees, and I'm just not so sure I want to try to get in the miles that HM training requires, anymore. After going 1/2 to 3/4 of a year not being able to do anything cardio-wise, or even step off a curb without wincing, I guess I've sort of had a mind reset on what makes me happy fitness-wise. It used to be all about the cumulative numbers per week/month/year. Now, it's just about being active. Honestly, part of me is very afraid that if I try pushing things again, that I will in fact, have to have the same surgery on the right knee as well. If I can keep to smaller runs, and staying active otherwise and avoid surgery.. I'm okay with that modified game plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninlaw View Post
My 5k on Saturday was slow - 22:42, but good enough for an AG award. James ran another big PR - 19:21. He totally rocks.

Today is exciting because GOTR registration for Fall opened. My team and waiting list filled up in 15 minutes!
So out of curiosity... which one of you two can bust out the fastest mile or 5k at this point? (assuming you're both having good days?) I'm sure there is some awesome competition going on between the two of you, with DS2 not too far behind!

Rawr for the interest in GoTR! That was an awesome video. Tissue worthy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theia View Post
My running is [knocking on wood] going much better than I expected at this point.
Rawr baby, rawr!
#8 of 49 Old 07-28-2014, 10:45 AM
Special Member

Ha - Ailarie - James definitely has me beat in the mile and the 5k. My mile PR (from 6 years ago) is 5:58 - he ran a 5:50 this spring in track. My 5k PR (from more than 6 years ago) is 20:36. The good news is I'll always be the fastest female in the house.

As far as the knees go, I have found running makes mine feel better. It's all about getting the right muscle balance though, which can be tricky.

Glad you are running pain free Theia!
#9 of 49 Old 07-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Special Member

OMG this is awesome. Check out reaction of dog when his owner came home after being in Europe 2 years. http://www.channel3000.com/at-home/p...turns/27179410
katholeenie likes this.
#10 of 49 Old 07-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
Congrats to all of the weekend racers!!!

We had a crazy, hectic weekend. IAAF Jr. World track meet, County Fair, Mila had a gig at a festival, had to pop over to the Eugene Marathon to take pix of PacerChris and say howdy... Little album of pics here: http://imgur.com/a/ZvDqL

The stunner of the weekend was the 4H livestock auction on Saturday. Mila couldn't show her grand champion chickens because it was scheduled against her gig, so Tycho, Claire and a friend took over during the auction. She had sent out "sponsor/invitations to bid" letters to a number of people we know or do business with and two of them got into a bidding war on her chickens. Her lot of three 7-lb chickens sold for a total of $885!!! The winning bidder was a neighbor contractor who did a bunch of tree removal work for us last year. He and his wife also raise amazing, high-end cattle. We butchered and delivered them yesterday and he told Mila that he was prepared to go higher. *THUD* She's putting the money towards the purchase of an upright bass, so I think she's going to have to give them a concert or two once she acquires a new instrument.

I squeezed in a couple of runs, including a pretty decent 6+ miler in the heat yesterday. I have to decide soon if I want to be a last-minute replacement for a CLR team. The relay is this Friday/Saturday.
#11 of 49 Old 07-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1
Wow, $885 for three chickens? Those must be some impressive chickens!

Congrts to Moon and RIL for the weekend races.

Ailarie, I hope your last HM is a great one...

Heh, Ron, I don't see myself going back to Idaho THAT soon. Twice in one year might be a bit much. Right now, I'm looking at Baltimore on Oct 19. That's a nice and easy drive for me. But I'll keep Boise in mind for future Octobers...

Theia, yeah, it's frustrating to miss a race. Especially since I'm a cheapskate and I hate wasting money. If I do skip this one, it'll be the 6th marathon that I've registered for and then missed. So far I've got: Eugene and San Diego RNR in 2008 when I broke my ankle; OBX in 2009 when I had the flu; Phoenix in 2010 when my dad had heart surgery; and Little Rock in 2010 when I had my two (and only) seizures and needed time to make sure it was under control. Yeesh, that seems like a lot. Oh well, it is what it is...

Last edited by gatorbob; 07-29-2014 at 10:30 AM.
#12 of 49 Old 07-28-2014, 05:15 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
GO MILA!!!! I do like that girl.

School already = YUCK.

James is a beast. (But then look who his mom is, so...)

I just made some awesome meatballs.

Um... I probably ended up walking about 7 miles yesterday. Today I did nuthin. heh. But it's going to be cool enough tomorrow morning that O can run with me so WOOHOO!!!

Check this out - First woman ever to qualify for the final course. And she is tiny!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfZFuw7a13E
#13 of 49 Old 07-28-2014, 06:05 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 6
Hi all - well, as a lot of you already saw on FB, I had my duathlon this weekend. I was really worried about the weather as we were slated for some severe weather, and indeed as I was checking in my bike to T1, it was during a middle of a severe thunderstorm with lightning all around. Thankfully, the next waves of bad weather slipped by before and after the event was over, so the only thing we had to deal with was the nasty humidity.

Besides my T2 klutziness, I did pretty well. I made some nice improvement in my bike speed (nearly 3/4 of a mile faster over 25 miles than I averaged in the 11 miles in my April duathlon) and I averaged sub-9 on my run legs. This being a new race, they have some kinks to work out (for example, the second run leg, which was already a quarter mile more than a 10K, actually was closer to 11K in the end) but they already sent out a response e-mail acknowledging the feedback and improvements they'll make for next year, so that's promising for longer term success for the event. I stayed at home today to rest up, but I don't feel quite as beat up after this duathlon as I did with the April one, if you can believe that or not.

Ailarie - I love how you're making slow but steady progress; here's hoping that goes well

Duck - that's pretty awesome about Mila's chickens, and I'd love to see a picture of her wielding that new string bass.

Mindi - you're raising some super fasties there; they got some good genes it looks like

Sounds like you had a pretty fun weekend with the picnic activities, Ron

boB - ugh about the general creakiness; I know the money wasted is never good but it looks like the longer-term is the best bet here

Theia - hurrah for no pains in the butt!

Mmmm...those meatballs sound yummy Kath

KP & T - we may be driving through GR middle of August to check out one of the local breweries; if you're available, we'd love to meet up for a brew or two.

Anyway, I hope everyone else is doing well, and hoping everyone has a good Tuesday
#14 of 49 Old 07-29-2014, 08:19 AM
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's got to get some stuff done then head off to Missy's town for a lunch training. Probably no fitnessing today there will be ice cream. Today my daughter is turning 15.

Ailarie healthy and happy is the way to go.

RIL Happy Birthday!!!! are you taking the day off?

Duck that is some expensive chicken meat.

Bob there are some good Spring and Fall options in Idaho.

Kath we have watch a few of the ANW and she is awesome.

Moon nice job on the improvement.
#15 of 49 Old 07-29-2014, 08:42 AM
Special Member

Just dropped Mila off for her first XC practice. Actually, her first sports practice of any kind since 5th grade!

If you guys are going to be in the Grand Rapid area in mid-August, you might as well drive up to Greenville and go to Amy's parents' estate auction! It's like a whole season of American Pickers...

http://artsmithauctions.com/auctionpics.cfm?id=394
#16 of 49 Old 07-29-2014, 10:23 AM
Special Member

Hi folks!

Moonie - big congrats again on your race! Great job.

Duck - congrats to Mila! I hope she enjoys XC too.

Ron - I am working today, but I got in late and plan to head out early. DS1 is in camp and he's already FaceTimed me 2x. Man I love that kid.

Kath - I want some meatballs now. The woman that qualified at ANW is a total badass. I love watching that.

I slept in until 6, but didn't get out for my run until almost 8. Ran an hour with 4 x .75 mile repeats @ 6:58 pace; .25 recoveries. It was nice and cool (and not humid at all) so that was helpful.
#17 of 49 Old 07-29-2014, 12:40 PM
Special Member

<selfish post>

For several weeks, my cell phone has not held a charge. By lunchtime or early afternoon, I have to plug it in to charge it. Most of the time, that will hold until bedtime, and I charge it again overnight.

Recently, my charger hasn't been working at all. I have to wiggle it, finesse it, beg and plead with it, and MAYBE it will charge. I finally threw it away, even though it was only 4 months old. Today, my phone won't charge at all. It dropped to 10% battery before lunch so I turned it off. When I turned it back on at 2:15ish, it quickly dropped to 5% battery. It has been plugged in next to me for 90 minutes and now is at 7%. Woo. <--- sarcasm

Please tell me I don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on a new phone. It's not even 2 years old! How come the old bobo phones lasted forever, but the smart phones that cost a minimum of $200 break down immediately????
#18 of 49 Old 07-29-2014, 02:13 PM
Special Member

Theia - you might try an extended battery case like this one: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
#19 of 49 Old 07-29-2014, 05:17 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
Bacon might be the most perfect food ever.
BigGahoona likes this.
#20 of 49 Old 07-29-2014, 05:31 PM
Special Member

Thanks Duck!
#21 of 49 Old 07-29-2014, 08:10 PM
2oh
Special Member

Likes Earned: 0
Likes Given: 0
hey all,
i haven't done this in a while, so the post might be corrupted, ugly, gross, taken out of context....like that ever really bothered me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbob View Post
... it'll be the 6th marathon that I've registered for and then missed. So far I've got: ...; OBX in 2009 when I had the flu;
istill have your shirt. coming to NH anytime soon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailarie View Post
Indeed. I've never seen school start up this early before.

I am healing, yes.. but realistically, I know that running is hard on the knees, ....
does atlanta have snow days that they have to make up for? sheesh.
(2nd part of your quote)
it can be, but get it all checked out. it's better to live with a permanently damaged (unrepairable) knee and have it still functional under most circumstances than it is to do more damage that might end up as debilitating or bionic/titanium. (story of my life)
Quote:
Originally Posted by katholeenie View Post
I just made some awesome meatballs.
be right over...keep the balls hot.

still miss you all and i hope everyone is doing well. it's nice to be back albeit briefly. no running to report on, but i try to sneak in a few workouts every week - an insanity workout, bike ride indoor or outdoor or something with dd, like walking to our local breakfast haunt. that still counts, right? my back still gets weird from last year's crash, but we try to keep getting after it. hard to believe dd is now 6.75. she played softball this spring on a well coached rainbow tiger u8 team and had a blast, as did her teammates. so much fun to watch them all get better and love the sport.
was thinking of you all (+1) on 7/25. seeing some of the obx pictures was really tugging on my desire to crank out some miles.
we'll be disappearing to the nj shore soon so i'm looking forward to family time, r&r, surfing, reading, daily cocktail hours, etc. i will surf this year, despite the great whites.
stay well all. nice to read you.
cheers
#22 of 49 Old 07-29-2014, 08:12 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4
Quote:
On way home from work but I had to log in to quote this and say a big AMEN!

More tomorrow when I'm thinking clearly...
#23 of 49 Old 07-30-2014, 06:58 AM
Special Member

Morning folks.

Hi 2oh!

I probably shouldn't say this too loudly in here, but I am not a fan of bacon.

Theia - what kind of phone do you have?

Ran 7 miles easy this morning. It was crisp and cool - yay!
#24 of 49 Old 07-30-2014, 07:12 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theia View Post
For several weeks, my cell phone has not held a charge. By lunchtime or early afternoon, I have to plug it in to charge it. Most of the time, that will hold until bedtime, and I charge it again overnight. Please tell me I don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on a new phone. It's not even 2 years old! How come the old bobo phones lasted forever, but the smart phones that cost a minimum of $200 break down immediately????
Hope you're able to find a cost-efficient solution for your phone issue. I was on the verge of FINALLY upgrading from my basic talk/text phone to a smartphone - until I saw how much some of the cost. Yeowch. Maybe later this year......

Quote:
... you had me at bacon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh View Post
does atlanta have snow days that they have to make up for? sheesh.
(2nd part of your quote)
it can be, but get it all checked out. it's better to live with a permanently damaged (unrepairable) knee and have it still functional under most circumstances than it is to do more damage that might end up as debilitating or bionic/titanium. (story of my life)
Howdy stranger! It's good to see you back in these parts!
(1) Snow days in Atl.. funny. Ice days... yes. (at least last year), Not snow, though. I am not a fan of the newer school schedule, and I"m not even a parent!

(2) I've been under the care of an ortho for over a year now, finally having to deal with knee surgery for the left knee in December. The right still may or may not require surgery for the same thing. Time and persistence will tell.

Oh yeah.. exercising:

Monday, and I use this term very loosely, exercise was limited to a couple of hours of pressure washing on the driveway. Now, (1) I'm using a washer that really does NOT have the adequate PSI for the job I"m trying to do... so I"m having to go over the area VERY slowly, and (2) I'm beginning to wonder if the driveway was EVER pressure washed before, because it amazes me how much grime and dirt there is... but man, my back and shoulders certainly got a workout that evening.

Yesterday, it was back to spinning and bodypump. I noticed going up the stairs to spinning class, that there was a tiny bit of pain in the left knee, as I"d press the foot into the step, and start to climb up with the right. Same thing for going downstairs. The knee was also extra tight (RoM) during BP. Could be related to Sunday's run or the stance I had for pressure washing, or both, I suppose. Hopefully tonight, I'll finish the washing, and then can re-evaluate.

Hope you guys have a great one. Hurrah for hump day at least!
#25 of 49 Old 07-30-2014, 08:23 AM
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's ok I shouldn't complain but it has been much more humid here than normal and I am not liking it. I won't say how hot or how humid otherwise everything has been good. We went out to have ice cream last night and relaxed at home.

Duck what grade is Mila in? XC is a lot of fun.

RIL hope you had a great birthday. I will eat bacon but if I never had it again I wouldn't be disappointed.

Theia sorry about the phone problems.

Kath you can have my bacon.

Hi 2oh

missy i hope you had a good night.

Ailarie nice workouts!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page