7/21-7/28 - What up peeps? - KickRunners.com
 12Likes

#1 of 47 Old 07-21-2014, 05:08 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3
7/21-7/28 - What up peeps?

Morning all.

bOb - sorry to hear your calf is bugging you. Hope it is better soon.

Rest day for me today, but I ran 18.4 yesterday - 13 with my boy!

Anyone have any fun lined up this week?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 47 Old 07-21-2014, 06:30 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
Ugh, sorry about the calf, Bob. Hope it's nothing major. 24+ is still a very respectable 5K time! Nice job.

RIL, what are you training for now? Chicago?

I ran almost an hour on Saturday on the trails. Finally, I got to wear my cool new trail shoes on the trails that prompted me to buy them! My ankles definitely felt more supported, but that could be just luck or a placebo effect. I want to try a few more times before declaring that the shoes are offering any additional support or stability.

Yesterday I biked 35 miles with a friend, including a stop at the halfway point for an apple cider donut. Yum! My myfitnesspal app said I burned 1,700 calories on my ride. I highly doubt that! But I was ravenous the rest of the day....

Did I tell you guys I now am supposed to wear glasses full time? I have been in readers for 2 years, but now apparently I have some farsightedness as well as nearsightedness (???) so the doctor recommended a progressive lens. OMG these things give me such a headache because I don't know where I'm supposed to look! I spend half my day tilting my head and rolling my eyes around to find the proper focus point! I guess I'll get used to them soon enough. Hopefully I look like a sexy librarian (albeit one that can't focus her eyes, haha).
#3 of 47 Old 07-21-2014, 02:26 PM

Likes Earned: 24
Likes Given: 46
boB - hope your calf pain and sciatica all disappear fast. Your 5k time hobbling is still faster than my best 5k time.

Day 200 of the Running Streak. Wooty Hoo Hoo!

On Wednesday I'm headed up to Minneapolis for the Torchlight 5k with Team R.E.D. in a TROLLEY. Now THAT is FUN!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trolley.jpg (21.9 KB, 0 views)

#4 of 47 Old 07-21-2014, 02:56 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1
Thanks for all the good wishes for my calf, guys. But all the news is not pretty...

I saw an orthopedist today as a follow-up to the sciatica. It's the same guy I saw when I broke my ankle in 2008. So I told him I was a runner and that I was worried about how this would affect my running long-term, yadda yadda yadda. He looked me over (and looked at the X-rays that were taken at the ER last week) and he said I don't have any permanent damage or anything that should prevent me from having a good long running career. But he advised that I take a month off. (!!!) Well, that ain't good. I mentioned that I have a marathon in 5 weeks, so he said "well, okay, take two weeks off, then give a go and see how you feel. If you don't have any pain whatsoever, then you can try it".

Umm. I was already worried about how I'd do in this marathon after taking time off after the sinus surgery. Now I gotta worry about another two weeks off. Yeesh. I'd really hate to miss this race. I mean, Idaho is not an easy state to get to, so I'd hate to have to plan a whole nother trip to Idaho again some day to cross it off the list. Obviously this means I'll miss the Pizza Run 5k on Wednesday that I do every year, but so be it. It's a lot more trouble to miss a marathon in Idaho...

Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'm okay two weeks from now, and that I can somehow cram a bunch of training into the three weeks right before the marathon. (Umm, you know, during taper time). Obviously even if I can run in Idaho, it's gonna be reeeeeeeeeeeally slow. I think a new PW is almost certainly looming. But whatever. I guess I'd rather get a PW than a DNS...
#5 of 47 Old 07-21-2014, 06:05 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
Well that sucks Bob. Hope you're pain free after a couple weeks off.

I lost two small battles during the weekly meeting with my committee, but won the important one, so YAY me. Not bad on 2 hours of sleep.

Concert in the park last night was AWESOME. The lady sang jazzy versions of popular songs, and had a really great voice. After the concert my friend that manages the park was having people to his place, so Oskar and I went over for a bit. (His yard is a full acre, and fenced in, so Oskar RAN laps. Holyshit that boy is fast.) But the people who were supposed to come over got settled in having birthday cake at someone else's house, so the 3 of us (Oskar, K and me) went over there.

I didn't get home till after midnight.

OMG, so freaking tired today, but it was SOOOOOOOOO fun. Even OsKar is tired. heh.

Oh, and I got bit yesterday by a tick, I think on my walk with O. It looks pretty annoyed, but it doesn't have the ring, so doc said to keep putting benadryl on it. gaaa. I've never had one before. Don't like this.

In happier news, doc shoved my ribs back so it doesn't hurt to breathe any more.
#6 of 47 Old 07-21-2014, 07:49 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 14
I haven't been fitnessing much lately unless you count holding the most adorable 3 week old I've met in a long time. We got to visit with our friend Nick (whom some of you have met) and his wife and daughter yesterday. She'd had a rough night the night before so was sleepy all day and after we left, I realized that Moonie never got a chance to hold her. I had 2 short times when I picked her up when she started getting squirmy in her little rocker and her parents were busy. I could have held her all day though.

I saw a random post on my FB feed today, when someone posted on Voodoo's page saying Voo had been on his mind and he wasn't sure why. I checked the dates and this Thursday will be 5 years since he passed. Moonie and I have tentative plans to go out that night for Restaurant Week, so we will be sure to raise a glass in his memory.

Kris
#7 of 47 Old 07-22-2014, 06:45 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Kath - so glad you had a fun night.

bOb - that stinks, but I am glad it is not a long-term injury. Have you already booked a flight for Idaho and registered for the marathon? If you haven't booked a flight, I'd bag it and do it another time. No use risking a much bigger injury just to cross it off your list.

I had intervals this morning and my workout was teh suck. It was 75 and insanely humid. Ran 10 minute warmup; 5 x 800m @ 6:58 pace; 400m recoveries; cool down with 5 strides. Ended up with @ 6.3 miles / 50 minutes / 7:59 average overall pace.

Fun: tonight we are doing a coach summit for Girls on the Run. I can't wait!

Is anyone racing this weekend? I'm going to jump into a 5k on Saturday. Ron - did you ever get that 5k in?
#8 of 47 Old 07-22-2014, 06:46 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Forgot to add - yes Theia - I am training for Chicago. Also glad to hear your new kicks are working out so far.

BigG - woo hoo for 200 days. That is very impressive.
#9 of 47 Old 07-22-2014, 07:05 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninlaw View Post
bOb - that stinks, but I am glad it is not a long-term injury. Have you already booked a flight for Idaho and registered for the marathon? If you haven't booked a flight, I'd bag it and do it another time. No use risking a much bigger injury just to cross it off your list.
What she said.
#10 of 47 Old 07-22-2014, 08:01 AM
Ron
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 22
Morning 30's back to work after a whirlwind trip up to Idaho. We had a lot of fun but also a lot of driving. I need a week to rest up. I didn't really get to run much while I was gone I think I had 3 short runs and a few weight lifting sessions but all is good. We had fun at my wife's reunion. She only had about 50 people in her class and probably half showed up.

RIL nice running. I don't know if my daughter will ever run with me. I think I will race a 10 miler in October.

Theia pic please. I have been wearing glass for a couple of years now but I don't look like a sexy librarian.

Big G have fun on the run. 200 days is awesome.

Bob don't risk a more serious injury. I hope it all works out.

Kath the concert sounds like a lot of fun.

bard don't sweat the fitnessing it will happen when it is right.
#11 of 47 Old 07-22-2014, 08:29 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Actually, this marathon in Idaho is part of our family summer vacation. It's one reason I chose this particular marathon: it's only about half an hour outside of Yellowstone National Park. So yeah, plane tickets and hotel rooms are booked. We'll be in Idaho for two days, then in Yellowstone for three, then in the Jackson Wyoming area for two. So whether I do the marathon or not, we're still going on the trip. Worst case scenario, I guess, is that we bail on the days in Idaho (since, really, there's not much to do in Ashton besides my marathon) and try to extend our stay in Yellowstone.

I'm sure we'll still have a fun vacation whether I run or not. But since I won't be getting my money back, it means I'd have to pony up for another trip to Idaho some day if I bail. Oh well, so be it...

Now I gotta decide whether I'll show up at the Pizza Run tomorrow night to claim my T-shirt and eat the pizza that I've already paid for. If I won't be running for a while (again), I do have to make sure that I watch my weight...
#12 of 47 Old 07-22-2014, 08:45 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

bOb - that area is definitely not the worst place to have to return to. Spend the extra time in Grand Teton National Park. Colter Bay and Jenny Lake are two of my favorite places on earth. Plus, you are likely to see some Grizzly bears and their cubs.
#13 of 47 Old 07-22-2014, 09:35 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7
Sonofabiscuit... I had a long post with lots of multi-quotes and due to operator error, lost it. Hmph. Summary version:

RiL - is it weird that I don't think DS1 should be up to doing HM distances yet? I still think of your kiddos as the little ones I met at casa de Parker years ago!

Bob - Bah.. I'm sorry about the news, but am glad that it's nothing to sideline you on a permanent basis, at least. Whether you go for the FM in Idaho or not (even as a PW candidate), I'd stay to still show up for the shirt and pizza at this week's event. You could always volunteer for something to at least have something to do, if desired. Of course, hanging out with friends and cheering them on (and eating pizza) may be just as good.

Damnit.. now I want pizza.

BigG - Rawr baby, Rawr! Today would be 201, yes?

Bard - How are Nick and his wife doing? I would imagine overjoyed, yet figuring how how to function with much less sleep than they are accustomed to!

You mentioned that we're almost at the 5 year date for losing Voo. Part of me thinks "Has it been that long?" but another part feels like it was just last year or so. I love the fact that Voo's name still comes up in our conversations and photos from time to time. I'd like to think that he was the best of us all (no offense to anyone here, of course.)
#14 of 47 Old 07-22-2014, 10:08 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
bard don't sweat the fitnessing it will happen when it is right.
It's mostly a function of traveling the past 2 weekends and other interferences on the weekdays (including some rainy/stormy weather on and off). I love to ride my bike but it still is a bit of a time commitment after work. I'll be able to get something in this weekend if not before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailarie View Post

Bard - How are Nick and his wife doing? I would imagine overjoyed, yet figuring how how to function with much less sleep than they are accustomed to!

I think you hit the nail on the head with both of those. They seem to be remarkably composed for 2 people with their 1st baby, and in fact they acted like old pros. I am sure they have the same anxieties of all parents but so far, they are taking everything in stride and enjoying the heck out of her.

Kris
#15 of 47 Old 07-22-2014, 11:59 AM
Special Member

I don't know what it is about swimming, but it always makes me ravenous!! I swam this morning (2,000 yards) and am already over my calorie limit for the day (and it's not even 3 o'clock!). And I'm still starving! Ugh and double ugh.
#16 of 47 Old 07-22-2014, 01:40 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theia View Post
I don't know what it is about swimming, but it always makes me ravenous!! I swam this morning (2,000 yards) and am already over my calorie limit for the day (and it's not even 3 o'clock!). And I'm still starving! Ugh and double ugh.
If it makes you feel any better, I am starving too and I did not even swim today.....
theia likes this.
#17 of 47 Old 07-22-2014, 06:17 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 6
Hi all - well, I'm tapering down to this week's du, and it seem like all the taper week soreness is hitting about now. I think I could use a good calf and foot roll out at the very least. At the very least, I hope the weather isn't the muggy mess it was just now; that was an ugly three mile taper run.

Theia - I have the progressives as well. I had headaches the first couple weeks myself but now if I'm not wearing them (my contact lenses, which I need to upgrade too - next time), I tend to get the headaches. Ahh, the perils of getting old And, oh yeah, ditto on the ravenous feeling after swimming

boB - Sorry about the calf; all I have to say is calf issues suck - I feel fortunate that I've been able to train up to this level again (Bard and Kath will attest to that when I ran Glass City last year)

BigG - once again, I'm simply amazed at your running streak; you go girl!

Anyway, hope everyone's doing well, and hoping you all have a good Wednesday
#18 of 47 Old 07-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Special Member

Moon, I wil do my no humidity dance for you!! Is your race saturday or sunday? I ran 3 tonight too. The humidity wasn't too bad, but the sun killed me. I thought I was going to pass out, so I cut it short and slogged home.
#19 of 47 Old 07-22-2014, 08:14 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Ooof - so much for being starving - I am just NOW eating at 10:15 pm. Headache anyone?

Our girls on the run event was awesome though, so I guess it was worth it.

Off to bed, I am meeting up with two 13 year-olds at 5:45 to run long. Woot!
Ron likes this.
#20 of 47 Old 07-23-2014, 07:53 AM
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's I hope to lift tonight and run tomorrow morning. We will see how it goes. It is starting to warm up here and I am not liking it. We are moving our office next month so we are starting with the purge soon so it will be busy. Fun stuff.

Bob my wife says Ashton is beautiful. Your vacation sounds fantastic.

RIL how did the long run go?

Ailarie I want pizza too!

Bard it has been hard for me to workout during the week lately too.

Theia everything makes me ravenous.

Moon good Luck with the Du.
#21 of 47 Old 07-23-2014, 08:12 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

Theia everything makes me ravenous.
I am convinced I have a tapeworm.

In perhaps similar news, I sure have been acting like a triathlete lately. Yesterday, swim in the am and easy track workout after work. Today, run to the Y to lift in the am, bike after work. Tomorrow, bleacher workout in the am and hopefully a bike ride after the Phillies game if I get back in time to ride with my friends. Now I just need to find a race that doesn't cost a million dollars.
#22 of 47 Old 07-23-2014, 08:26 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28
I want you to be the first to know that I've withdrawn from the Olympic distance triathlon in Milwaukee. New goal race is probably going to be the sprint tri at Cedar Point on Sept 6. I'm meeting with coach on Friday to discuss further.

I'm more relieved than disappointed, and I don't need to talk about it, but I'm happy to answer questions if you have any

Don't believe everything you think
#23 of 47 Old 07-23-2014, 08:31 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Ron - it was aWeSoMe! First, I can't believe the boys all got up that early to run. DS & DH went with us to start too, but they only did 4 and then DS biked the rest with us. We ran the first 4 really easy (9:20s-9:40s), then picked it up to 8:40s, then finished the last 3 in 8:15, 8:25, 7:55. These guys are going to kick some boooootay in their half in 3 weeks.

Theia - that is really awesome that you are feeling like a triathlete again!

Amy - glad you are relieved, but I'm a little bummed since you were going to be in my neck of the woods!
#24 of 47 Old 07-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Special Member

Amichel, as long as you are OK with the decision, that's all that matters!
katholeenie likes this.
#25 of 47 Old 07-23-2014, 11:08 AM
Ron
Special Member

Theia I probably do too. I guess it is a good thing.

amichel you will crush Cedar Point.

RIL my dd would be an incredible runner if she had that drive. She is happy just doing her own thing. As long as she is happy I suppose.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page