6/14/2014 - 7/20/2014 happenings - KickRunners.com
 19Likes

#1 of 60 Old 07-14-2014, 07:31 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7
6/14/2014 - 7/20/2014 happenings

'Sup, folks? Figured I"d just get us started here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 60 Old 07-14-2014, 07:42 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3
Hey everyone.

Fun weekend for me. As you may have seen on FB,James ran a 19:42 5k (crushing his goal of going sub-20). How freakin' cool is that?!

I ended up running 15 miles on Sunday (12 with the boys), which got me to 50 miles for the week. Woot.
BigGahoona likes this.
#3 of 60 Old 07-14-2014, 07:51 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4
hi guys!

how was everyone's weekend?

alicat, how did your veggie stew end up?

i didn't realize you were doing a DU, joe! very cool!

congrats to mindi's DDs in their awesome running!

bigG, sorry re: the car. sometimes when it rains, it pours. blargh.

duck, any fun photos from your trip?

amichel, do it!!!!!

katho, i ice my knee almost every night. i look forward to it. we're getting oooooollllllddddd...

hi theia love. xo.

ron! do anything fun over the weekend? i've been jonesing for in 'n out since you mentioned it. darn you. heh.

happy hugs all around, kids. lets start off the week on the right foot!!

#4 of 60 Old 07-14-2014, 07:52 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninlaw View Post
Hey everyone.

Fun weekend for me. As you may have seen on FB,James ran a 19:42 5k (crushing his goal of going sub-20). How freakin' cool is that?!

I ended up running 15 miles on Sunday (12 with the boys), which got me to 50 miles for the week. Woot.
1 - that blows my mind. hes amazing

2- that's because he has an awesome mama who is a beast! rawr!!
#5 of 60 Old 07-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy1102 View Post

i've been jonesing for in 'n out since you mentioned it. darn you. heh.
Right????

Ailarie, I am cracking up. Last week, I wrote June instead of July twice in one day (actually twice in a span of 5 minutes). Glad it's not just me! In my defense, it was at 7 a.m. after an hour of boot camp and 4 hours of sleep.

I ran again on Saturday! I'm guessing about 10K. We did mostly flat trails for 57+ minutes. Woo hoo! This week my main running partner and cycling partner are both out of town, so it will be a good test of self-motivation. I plan to start some track workouts this week or next, but not the kind of track workouts I used to do. I'm adding stadium steps to my routine once a week. Eek! I mean... bring it!

Good job to RIL and family! We saw a little dude coming out of the trail Saturday that was probably about your son's age. There's a HUGE hill going into/out of the trail, so you always have to come up it at the end of your workout. Little dude flew past us as we were navigating around a fallen tree, probably about 2/3 of the way up the hill. By the time we exited at the trail head, he was nowhere in sight! About 5 minutes later, we saw him again. He had already done a huge loop, the equivalent of about 2-3 blocks around, and was heading back toward the trail. We both cheered for him and shouted out how great he was doing. My running partner said, "SOMEONE is training for cross country!" and he just giggled.

(((Missy))) Just because you're huggable.

Maria would have liked our workout in class this morning.
#6 of 60 Old 07-14-2014, 08:40 AM
Ron
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 22
Morning 30's I took a couple of days of last week. I had some dental work on Thursday and Friday we went to the Fair. Saturday we went to Disneyland and had a great time. Yesterday I was so tired I didn't even feel like working out. Thank goodness I woke up early before Disneyland lifted and ran a little.

Ailarie how were the veggies?

RIL that is an awesome time!!! XC practice started today for my daughter.

missy we had a fun but tiring weekend.

Theia sounds like you are feeling better!!
#7 of 60 Old 07-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Special Member

The old timers here will be supremely jealous when I announce that...

I get to meet Tex!
I GET TO MEET TEX!
I GET TO MEET TEX!!!!!!!!!!!

She will be in this general area in September for an Ironman! Woo hoo!!!!
bard73 likes this.
#8 of 60 Old 07-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
TEX?!?!? I haven't seen her since.... What, the Indi meet up? That's been forever ago!

Quote:

katho, i ice my knee almost every night. i look forward to it. we're getting oooooollllllddddd...
yahbut. I'm always cold. I hate ice on me*. And all down my spine? OY! But yah. Felt good. Need to do it again tonight. It's uncomfortable to breathe (probably have 6-7 ribs out cause of what doc jokingly calls my camel hump. [instability between my shoulder blades pulls ribs out of place.])

*unless there is warmth immediately after. heh.

Quote:
He is. And a really nice kid to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theia View Post
SHE IS!!! I'll add to that. (((((((((Missy))))))))

I walked O a few this morning. Probably won't run till Wednesday. Need to get my back worked on first (hopefully tomorrow night). Doc was out of town this weekend so I haven't been able to go as much as I should. Heck, I'm not even doing any of the chores I had planned for tonight, cause it's just MAD. pffththt.

Could people just shut up about Lebrown already?
#9 of 60 Old 07-14-2014, 05:22 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
That would be a fun meetup in Philly. Jealous!

((((Kath's back)))}

Missy, I posted some fun pics on FB here...

Six miles at lunch today, but some of them were walking. It was 90ish and I just wasn't feeling it (maybe the antibiotics?), so I walked in some of the shady spots.
#10 of 60 Old 07-14-2014, 05:26 PM
Special Member

Just for fun...
theia likes this.
#11 of 60 Old 07-14-2014, 05:35 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7
Quote:
As you may have seen on FB,James ran a 19:42 5k (crushing his goal of going sub-20). How freakin' cool is that?!.
Dang.. we knew he'd do it for sure, but I thought it would be another 6 months away or so. I want to call him a BAMF, but that's just... not.. right...

Quote:
Ailarie, I am cracking up. Last week, I wrote June instead of July twice in one day (actually twice in a span of 5 minutes). Glad it's not just me! In my defense, it was at 7 a.m. after an hour of boot camp and 4 hours of sleep. .
Huhwhat?! (pauses to look up) Ahhh dangit... I didn't even see that until now. Clearly, I did not have my recommended serving of caffeine in my system at that time of day. If an admin can fix that for me (or maybe I can.. will look), that would be awesome!

Theia - Nice run! You always amaze me at how you can bounce back from downtime.

Oh... Ron & Missybabe - I learned that oregano and Worcestershire sauce helped a bit. Thyme.. yeech. Apparently I am not a fan of that particular spice. Still, I couldn't find that 'wow' factor. I put some soup in the freezer, and will try it again later

So... (this is a bit of a cross post from FB, sorry for the duplication), my ortho visit today went well. He was pleased that I've upped my game in bodypump and spinning, (minus those push-press things) but he still wants me to push limits more... that means running. Honestly, I'd tried it a couple of times, but things just didn't feel right. Motion felt labored... uncomfortable.. and the left knee still feels tight. Range of motion isn't as it should be.

Yet.. he wanted me to try. He said pushing through tightness (but not pain) would help to break up the scar tissue that is limiting RoM. /sigh. Admittedly, I dreaded the attempt again. There. I admit it. After figuring that running was off the table, I was afraid to try again.

KP posted on my FB page to use the 1 min walk / 1 min run approach. Usually that would drive me nuts, but what the heck... I figured I'd give it a shot. After all.. this type of stuff is certainly up his alley. I gave it a try tonight. End result... 4 miles in 53 minutes, completely on the walk/run time frame. Well, except for two rounds where I ran 2x. The first, honestly, I was thinking of quitting. While I wasn't dying, I wasn't feeling good either. A self pity-party was kicking in, but then I remembered that a year ago, I would have given anything just to try..... and then I looked up and saw my RAWR sign on the wall that RIL and her boys made years ago..... Pity party over. I looked at the clock and I was already into the 2nd minute of running, so I finished that one up.

The last time, fairly close to the end of the workout, I was finishing up a run sequence, and Judas Priest's song Hot for Love was ending. There was NO WAY I was going to walk at the end of that song. (it's one fit more giving every last ounce of energy in the last sprint to the finish line.) I also cranked up the speed to nearly the fastest I am capable of and held that for the full minute.

cool. Hellooooo anaerobic state... but cool. Only owies were the right glute (not surprising.)

So.. as a precaution, now that I"m showered and getting my supper eaten, I'm icing the left knee. Let's hope I can still walk decently tomorrow....

Have a great evening, folks. Catch you on the flip side...
#12 of 60 Old 07-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Addicted Member

Romper stomper bomper boo, tell me tell me tell me, do, magic mirror tell me today, have all my friends had fun at play? I see Joey and Nettie and (I think that's either Kristi and her husband or Jen and hers? Not sure) and Baggs and Baggs' friend, and someone from PRT (brain fart), and Tex and DUCK!!!

How close am I?

I got Duck hugs!!!

Speaking of, a mile is a mile and all that Duck. Give yourself a break.

YAY for progress Ailarie!

So is Tex DOING the iron man?
#13 of 60 Old 07-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by katholeenie View Post
SHE IS!!! I'll add to that. (((((((((Missy))))))))
awwwwwwwwwwww. thanks ladies. i really needed that today. back at ya!

Quote:
Could people just shut up about Lebrown already?
i really despise him.

i never met tex but i'm super impressed with the IM attempt!

alicat, rawr for being brave and going out of your comfort zone and pushing yourself! woot!

3 miles this afternoon with Bella, it was also 90F and supaaaah humid out. we took it very slow and i brought a ton of water so it was ok.
#14 of 60 Old 07-15-2014, 07:55 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3
Quote:
congrats to mindi's DDs in their awesome running!
Quote:

2- that's because he has an awesome mama who is a beast! rawr!!
Good job to RIL and family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
RIL that is an awesome time!!!
Quote:
He is. And a really nice kid to boot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailarie View Post
Dang.. we knew he'd do it for sure, but I thought it would be another 6 months away or so. I want to call him a BAMF, but that's just... not.. right...
Thanks everyone! Ailarie - is it terrible to admit that when we were walking together after the race he looked at me and said, "I'm a BAMF" with a little smile (he said the letters, not the words they stood for). I laughed and said "you sure are!"

The humidity broke here this morning. It was cool and 60 for my workout. I did 10 minute w/u; 12 x 400m @ 6:58 pace; 400m recoveries; 10+ min cool down with 4 strides. Ended up with just a hair under 9 miles. My Garmin was driving me crazy though. Not sure if it was the clouds or what, but I'd be running hard during an interval and it would say I was at an 11 m/m lap pace. Then it would clock me at low 8s during recoveries when I was running much slower. Ugh. That makes me crazy. So I don't know accurate interval times, but I do know I was running hard.
#15 of 60 Old 07-15-2014, 08:14 AM
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's Not sure but I would like to lift a little tonight. Tomorrow will be a lot of driving so some exercise tonight will do me some good. We plan on stopping a lot so hopefully my back doesn't act up too much.

Theia I hope your meet up went well.

Nice running Duck it takes a while to get use to the heat.

Ailarie good job on the run.

Kath I loved the pics of Bob on FB.

Missy way to get out in the heat. I probably would have hit the TM.

RIL you are super fast!!
#16 of 60 Old 07-15-2014, 08:52 AM

Likes Earned: 24
Likes Given: 46
G'morning!

James is awesome. As is the entire fam damily! BAMFs is right!

I did NOT feel like running last night. I was tired. I woke up in the middle of the night Sunday night with horrible stomach cramps and an ensuing bathroom visit that made me fear I was going to be camping out in the bathroom all night. But it was just the one episode, thankfully. Must have been something I ate? Still left me feeling tired and empty on Monday. But I got my duds on last night and went out for at least one mile and it was awesome out! 57 degrees and clear after a brief rain. So I ran 4.5. I'm behind in my training. I need to step it up. My long runs are not happening as they should. Running three over lunch today. Yippity Skippity!

Also, I think it's time for new shoes. Yes, indeed. When it rain$ it pour$. But by god, I'm going to get new shoes before I get a new cabin air filter in my car. So there.

We need a 30's meet up. Anyone still interested in Fargo?
#17 of 60 Old 07-15-2014, 08:55 AM
Special Member

Quote:
I see Joey and Nettie and (I think that's either Kristi and her husband or Jen and hers? Not sure) and Baggs and Baggs' friend, and someone from PRT (brain fart), and Tex and DUCK!!!

How close am I?
So is Tex DOING the iron man?
Kath, you got it! That's KJ and hubby (who is Jen?). And yes, Tex is doing IM Maryland on September 20! So no meet-up yet, Ron. It will be a little while, but I am very excited to meet her. She was one of the original 30s who were posted way back when I joined the group, and she was always very sweet and encouraging to me. We have emailed, texted, and even talked on the phone once or twice, but this will be my first time meeting her. Can't wait!!

Quote:
is it terrible to admit that when we were walking together after the race he looked at me and said, "I'm a BAMF" with a little smile (he said the letters, not the words they stood for).
Oh **** no! It's awesome!!!

Missy, I was out there yesterday too. OMG, so humid. 91 degrees and literally 90% humidity (I was racing an incoming storm). All of this was because I started tracking my calories on myfitnesspal.com. Has anyone used it? It really makes you accountable! By the end of the work day yesterday, I had only 179 calories left to take in, and we were going to our friends' house for dinner. I changed into running clothes and went out for 3.25 miles, mostly on the nice soft track near my house, so that I could earn more calories! Otherwise, we would have shown up and I would have been like, "Thank you for preparing all this lovely food. I'll have a carrot and a large water on the rocks, please."
BigGahoona likes this.
#18 of 60 Old 07-15-2014, 08:57 AM
Special Member

What the ??? We can't type H E double L? It converted to **** automatically??
#19 of 60 Old 07-15-2014, 11:11 AM

Likes Earned: 24
Likes Given: 46
What the ****? We're being censored??

I've used My Plate - same deal. And I get surprised every so often by the amount of calories or what a portion size is for a particular food item.

I did not log the enchilada last night. I just knew it was bad.
theia likes this.
#20 of 60 Old 07-15-2014, 11:38 AM
Addicted Member

Quote:
Kath, you got it! That's KJ and hubby (who is Jen?).
I was thinking Jen from Florida, who moved to Colorado and is rehabbing her hip. YOu remember her, she is SUPAH fast and used to win races all the time? I can't remember her screen name. JenRuns? Duck will know.

Anyway, they're both blonds, and without being able to see her face...

I didn't go to work today. Not sure what happened, but I have knifing pain behind my left shoulder blade. Hurts to breathe. Hurts to move my left arm. Heck, hurts (behind my left shoulder blade) to pick up a stupid glass of water with my right arm. Must have slept wrong or something, but jeez. It's not been this bad since last fall.

I'm going to see doc at 5 if not before. He is finally back in town and is going to work me over.

Is there a meet up planned? WHen is Fargo? I need to see some of you peeps again.

I think it's funny we're being censored. Are all swear words being asterisked?
#21 of 60 Old 07-15-2014, 01:19 PM
Ron
Special Member

****!
BigGahoona and Runninlaw like this.
#22 of 60 Old 07-15-2014, 01:19 PM
Ron
Special Member

I guess so.
theia likes this.
#23 of 60 Old 07-15-2014, 02:15 PM
Special Member

Kath, yes JenRuns! Sorry, I flaked on who you were talking about. It's KJ in the pic, though. Was that pic from the Indy meet-up? And FEEL BETTER!!!!
#24 of 60 Old 07-15-2014, 04:52 PM
Special Member

I got a free pair of zoom vomeros today. Score!

Also, I recently got my title upgraded from director to assistant athletic director, which is nice.

No fitness yet today, but I hope to do something with the kids after work.

Theia, the picture was from the Chicago Marathon meet up. The older gent is one of the Shawns' dad.
#25 of 60 Old 07-15-2014, 05:04 PM
Ron
Special Member

Awesome Duck!!! Congrats. Is that your goal to be a Athletic Director?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page