June 30 - July 6, 2014 - KickRunners.com
 10Likes

#1 of 39 Old 06-30-2014, 04:12 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7
June 30 - July 6, 2014

Howdy, folks... figured I"d get us started for the week. Hopefully a lot of us have Friday off, so at least this is a somewhat shorter workweek! Rawr to that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 39 Old 06-30-2014, 06:38 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
Yay for short weeks! Somehow they always move more slowly, though.

We spent a relaxing and very fun 2 days at my cousin's guest house on the Delaware River. I did tai chi and kayaked for the first time (kayaking was more fun, haha), and we got totally spoiled rotten by my cousin and his wife. It was awesome.

Yesterday I was checking FB every few hours for news of my friend Rich, a cancer survivor, who did Ironman Coeur D'Alene. He finished in 14:16! Three years ago he was undergoing radiation and chemo, and now he's an Ironman. Talk about an inspiration. His wife (also an Ironman) made a sign for him:

13 weeks of chemo
35 days of radiation
3 surgeries
140.6... piece of cake!
GO RICH!

There's your feel-good story for the day.
#3 of 39 Old 06-30-2014, 07:48 AM
Ron
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 22
Morning 30's I need 4 more miles to get to 100 for the month. I am not sure if I will be able to get there. The weekend was really nice. The wife and I went out to dinner and a play on Saturday night, both turned out great. I also got a few good workouts in.

Ailarie short weeks are the best!

Theia that is a great story.
missy1102 likes this.

#4 of 39 Old 06-30-2014, 08:33 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theia View Post
13 weeks of chemo
35 days of radiation
3 surgeries
140.6... piece of cake!
GO RICH!
Awesome
Ron likes this.
#5 of 39 Old 06-30-2014, 11:33 AM
Ron
Special Member

I will need to post a video but our dog has learned how to give a high 5 or a high paw in her case. She stands and slaps your hand. It is pretty funny.
#6 of 39 Old 06-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
Yay Ironman Rich!

Glad your sale went well, Kath. Sorry about the "refund"!

Yay for SpecialO, Bard and Moonie. I worked the Oregon track meet for many years until they moved out of town and loved it.

Busy weekend, but no running for me. My sis and family are in town from Cinci for a few days, so that's fun.
#7 of 39 Old 06-30-2014, 04:45 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
YAY Rich!!!

Tai Chi is... delicious. I took classes (yang style, short form) for a couple years a while back. Neat stuff.

In sucky news, B finally got his back checked out. Has to get xrays tomorrow because doc thinks he might have a fracture.

In good news, I walked O a couple miles this morning. It was soupy. blech. Still, a walk with him is a fun way to start the day.

And, I got more stuff packed this evening, and out to my car to hand off to Renee to store for me. Progress is slow, but I'm working on it.
#8 of 39 Old 06-30-2014, 04:53 PM
Addicted Member

OOO! and more fun, American Ninja Warrior is on tonight. I don't know why I'm so fascinated by this show, but I enjoy watching them do that obstacle course.

And shoot. I had something else but I can't remember what it was. My brain might have melted.
#9 of 39 Old 06-30-2014, 05:39 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 23
Likes Given: 14
I took out my bike for another spin tonight before dinner, this time solo (had my phone and Road ID of course). Just under 16 miles in 1:18 so not too bad for a hot day. I'm not super speedy, obviously, but I wasn't as a runner either. I definitely have more slow twitch muscles, haha!

Kath- hope B's X-rays come back negative.

Theia- awesome story about your friend!

Kris
#10 of 39 Old 06-30-2014, 05:48 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 6
Howdy all - first time checking into the new site. Like Bard had said, we've had a busy past week or two. I've also undertaken an old hobby anew again - blogging. This one isn't so much about running as it is about my experiences in Buckeye Country here. I've been enjoying my time here with Kris and Columbus in general, so I've got a lot of material built up nearly three years total here now (counting vacation trips) to compare and contrast with 30 years in California. And yeah, the blogsite is in my signature if anyone wants to check it out.

(Edit: well, since the signature is screwy, here's the link to the blog )

Also getting in my final couple weeks of training before tapering. I think this holiday week is going to be bit of an off week, and then one more hard week before working my way down for my duathlon (which I have officially signed up for before the registration went up in price.)

Amy! Belated congrats on your triathlon - as everyone said, it's meant to be fun, so don't sweat the results so much. And cool that you got to meet Noni - I got to meet her when she dropped by San Francisco a few years back.

Kath - sorry about dinner and B, but glad to hear the sale worked out

boB - that is pretty consistent stuff there; I'd take that.

Hope everyone else is doing well, and stay cool out there (I've learned to get used to saying the word "soupy" a lot more now0

Last edited by mmoonptdeux; 06-30-2014 at 07:09 PM. Reason: my signature is screwy
#11 of 39 Old 06-30-2014, 08:02 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4
hi all!

we spent the weekend near moonie and bard's area - or rather, about an hour away in dayton ohio for a wedding. it was a great reunion and we slept far too little as we stayed up to catch up with everyone. it was the first full weekend hindu wedding i've attended in a long time and AK really enjoyed all the festivities, dancing, and music.

AK and i are off to montauk (the furthest tip of the hamptons) tomorrow for the rest of the week and J will join us later for the holiday weekend.

not a lot of fitnessing recently but i'm going to try to do some swimming at montauk
#12 of 39 Old 07-01-2014, 05:21 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1
Bunny bunny! Hard to believe that half the year is gone. (Well, technically, July 2 is the midpoint of the year, but nominally we're now halfway done).

Anyway, hello, everyone! Nice job by Ironman Rich!

I ran 6.5 miles on my TM yesterday becuase I didn't feel like running in the heat. I finished June with 110.8 miles, which is actually the second-most I've done in a month in 2014. I guess 110 isn't bad this soon after surgery, but I've gotta ramp it up a little if I want to finish a marathon in 7.5 weeks...

I'll try to start July off with a few miles this evening...
#13 of 39 Old 07-01-2014, 06:05 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
Thanks for all the support for Rich! He's an awesome, funny, loveable guy. He and his wife are just wonderful!!

Man, my stupid back and glute really messed up my month.
June totals:
run 24.6 miles
bike 111.6 miles
swim 6.1 miles
5 classes taught
6 weightlifting sessions
5+ hours of bobo cardio on the recumbent bike

Nowhere to go but up!
#14 of 39 Old 07-01-2014, 07:27 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28
Likes Given: 1
June ended up pretty close to May totals:
Bike 131.1 miles
Run 44.43 miles
5:27 in Strength, Yoga, crosstraining
6:18 swimming

next race is a biathlon 15 mile bike/5K run on Friday! This was my first multisport event last year

Don't believe everything you think
#15 of 39 Old 07-01-2014, 08:07 AM
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's I might lift a little tonight but I didn't bring my stuff so I am not so sure. I think they are probably going to turn the TV on this afternoon at work for the soccer game. It should be exciting USA!! USA!!! USA!!!

Duck Have fun with your sister.

Kath we recorded ANW the kids really think it is funny.

Bard nice job on the bike.

Moon I will have to take a look at your blog.

Missy have a fun week and get your swim on.

Bob nice job I only got in 96 in June.

Theia you did great still managing to workout with an injury.

amichel you are going to kill it.
#16 of 39 Old 07-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Addicted Member

HI MISSY!!!

B got xrayed today, and has his apmt to get them read tomorrow. I looked that them... Looks like a lot of rice grains in one section. Not sure what that means, but....

I just looked at my totals for June, but they're in the kitchen and I cn't remember exactly. I had as much walking as running, but all my running happened in the first half of the month. Haven't been able to get my back worked on as much as usual cause doc's back was tweaked too, but I finally get to go back tomorrow, so Thursday I should be able to go for a run. Anyway, I still did something every day, so that's progress.

Bob is lounging next to me and blowing hot air on my arm.
#17 of 39 Old 07-02-2014, 08:24 AM
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's I just feel tired this week. I am hoping to get a run in tonight and I am not going to lift again until after the 5k on Friday.

Kath I love Bob!!!
#18 of 39 Old 07-02-2014, 10:02 AM
Special Member

Bob looks like he's saying "Hey Baby... You feelin' fine?"

Today is my last day of work for a while. I'm headed out to NorCal (Lake Shasta/Mt. Shasta area) for a week of solo recreation while Mila attends the Shasta Music Summit. I will have a whole week of no agenda days, with plenty of time to golf, run, bike, swim, read, etc. Maybe I'll work on my tan.
aemerryman and katholeenie like this.
#19 of 39 Old 07-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3
Hey everyone!

Ron - definitely post a video of your dog.

Love the pic of Bob. Goofball.

Have fun trips Missy and Duck.

Gosh I hope B's back is not fractured. Sending non-broken vibes your way Kath.

Nice mileage Theia, bOb and Amy. I had 144 miles of running in June. That number will no doubt go up this month as I am starting week 5 of my marathon training.

Speaking of training, I didn't have my schedule for today, but it was amazing out. 57 degrees, light wind, a little bit of sprinkling rain. So I ran 10. Felt great. My achilles has been nagging at me the last 2 days though. Not sure why, but I am hoping it will pass quickly.

We are going to race this weekend. Can't wait to see how the boys I am coaching for the half (including DS1) do. I tried to talk them into the 10k, but they all want to try to PR in the 5. DS1 wants to go sub-20 and his friend wants to hit 18:30. Fasties.
#20 of 39 Old 07-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 12
Hi all...

Wow, it's been a zillion years since I've been in here! Luckily I remembered my password. I'm just going to try to ease back in here, but now that I'm somewhat settled in my new job (where I can stare at a computer for large portions of my day) I can pop in here more regularly.

Nice thing in my world? Fitness center membership for faculty is only $25 per year, so I'm taking advantage. For the last month or so I've been working out 3-5x a week (working towards more consistently 4-5x week) doing various things, including working back into running (s-l-o-w-l-y like run a lap walk a lap) so I'm kind of geeked about that.

Mostly, I am just super-happy that I have something to talk about here. I mean, I like keeping up with y'all on the FB and all, but there's something special about here.

Ok, getting ready to head to the gym for today's workout. Probably elliptical, running somewhere between .5 and 1 mile, stationary bike, and rowing. Yesterday was HydroPower in the pool.
mmoonptdeux likes this.

"The difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry blank."  ~ George Sheehan

#21 of 39 Old 07-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Special Member

Good luck, team RIL!

I found out there is a 5 mile race in Mt. Shasta on the 4th, so I think I'll be a racer this weekend.
#22 of 39 Old 07-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Ron
Special Member

Duck that sounds like a great get away.

RIL those boys are super fast I am not going to even mention my goal time.

Ann I think most of the conversation in here is non fitness related
#23 of 39 Old 07-03-2014, 07:29 AM
Special Member

Hi all!

Regaining fitness is hard. ooof.

The indoor track at the fitness center is only .10 mile, which makes me stabby...but my splits yesterday were: 1:01, 1:01, :58, :57, :59, :58 so I think that equates to roughly a 9:50 m/m. I'll take it.

Yesterday's heat index was 105* so I think for now, I'll just focus on running inside because really, who wants to deal with trying to regain fitness in THAT?

Oh, and I'm pretty sure I need new running shoes.

"The difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry blank."  ~ George Sheehan

#24 of 39 Old 07-03-2014, 07:41 AM
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's just need to get through the day and then a long weekend. I think tomorrow we will walk to the lake and watch fireworks. It should be a good day.

Ann great job!!! How is the job going?
#25 of 39 Old 07-03-2014, 07:48 AM
Special Member

The job is going great, thanks! Of course, I still regularly feel like I have *no* idea what I'm doing, but I absolutely love coming to work every day, so I figure it evens out.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page