It's SPRINGING Out There! May 5 - May 11 - KickRunners.com

#1 of 63 Old 05-05-2014, 09:19 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 24
Likes Given: 46

Hola !!!

This lurker is starting a thread!

I just read boB's race report.  Awesome, as always!  And I noticed that ND hadn't been checked off yet.   Brandy was always pushing the Fargo marathon, maybe a 30s meetup someday!?  Looks like there's something for everyone there - 10k, half marathon and marathon.  

Looks like Runninlaw had a good weekend!  Super Duper Big Congratulations!

I'm still streaking!  Today is Day 121, and I'm just running a wee easy 1 miler and then doing some core work.  I have a half marathon at the end of the month and I'd really like to get under 2 hours, or at least a shiny new PR, but my brains are getting in my way, telling me it's not really possible. I ran at about HM race pace for the 10k, the one that turned out to be 7 miles because they mismarked it, I think the people who manned the turnaround just went too far out.  But I'd have to hang on to that pace for an additional 6 miles, and the first part of the race is hilly.  Mental. Block.

Oh, and I got a promotion!  My new job starts June 4th.  I'll be a Travel Services Associate for the Department of Development.  Exciting!

Happy trails my 30s friends!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 63 Old 05-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76

Big G, you know you can do it!!!!  Don't let your brain get in your way!  I have this posted on my bulletin board at work and was going to write it on my arm last summer for my big tri, but then Shaggy got sick and we bagged the race.  I think you should use it:

That voice in your head that says you can't do this is a liar. 

Amichel, that goes for you too.  Yes, you will fall.  Everyone does.  But it's not as bad as you think it's going to be, and then you'll get past it and be able to ride without that fear hanging over you.  Try a few short rides in your neighborhood with the clips to get used to them (and to be close to home in case you do fall).  I've fallen a few times, and yes it sucks but my pride was more hurt than anything else.  Hell, I fell within 1 minute of my first ever ride with clips!   Literally in the first minute!  

OK, that's my pep talk for today.  :D

Oh, and congrats on the promotion Big G!  

#3 of 63 Old 05-05-2014, 10:25 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1

Hiya, everyone.  As BigG noted, my Race Report for Kansas is up, here.

Uh yeah, I haven't done North Dakota yet.  Fargo is definitely the one I want to do there.  Just haven't gotten around to it yet.  Maybe next year.  And yeah, I'd be thrilled if it could turn into a 30s meet-up.  We haven't had a meet-up in a long time.  Well, the race is this coming weekend, so it's a little late for 2014.  How about Fargo in May 2015?!?

#4 of 63 Old 05-05-2014, 11:25 AM - Thead Starter

Alexis, that is Awesome!  I am SO TOTALLY going to use that.  Thanks!

I'd be in for Fargo 2015.  Still not sure about ever running a full in the Spring, especially after this hellacious winter.  But they do have the half option! 

#5 of 63 Old 05-05-2014, 11:42 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3

Hola!

Many thanks for the congrats, Big G.  My race was a disaster, yet a triumph all in one.  Race report is here.

I too love that mantra Theia!    Similar to this one, which is one of my faves:

300281_10150285131411135_1447415333_n.jpg

You can definitely do it BigG - go for it!  Also, many congrats on the promotion!

#6 of 63 Old 05-05-2014, 12:57 PM - Thead Starter

I just read your Race Report, RIL, and I gotta tell you I was completely verklempt at the part when your boys jumped in telling you to run faster!  They. Rock   headbang.gif  Which shouldn't be surprising considering they have such a rockin' Mom. smile.gif
#7 of 63 Old 05-05-2014, 01:02 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGahoona View Post

Thanks so much.  They really are awesome.  There is no way I would have hit that BQ without them.  They are amazing.  They were SO happy for me too - it was really cool.  We were sitting at lunch talking about something else and James said to me, "I am so proud of you today Mom."  He knew it was far from my best time, but he understood I had to fight for it.  So cool.

#8 of 63 Old 05-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Ron
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 22

I guess I must have posted on Bob's race report.  Afternoon all.

Congrats BigG.

I might be able to be talked into Fargo?

#9 of 63 Old 05-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Ron
Special Member

RIL that was a great race report.  It is amazing how much energy you still have after running 26 miles.

#10 of 63 Old 05-05-2014, 02:07 PM - Thead Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninlaw View Post

Thanks so much.  They really are awesome.  There is no way I would have hit that BQ without them.  They are amazing.  They were SO happy for me too - it was really cool.  We were sitting at lunch talking about something else and James said to me, "I am so proud of you today Mom."  He knew it was far from my best time, but he understood I had to fight for it.  So cool.

Seriously, I have to stop crying at work.  <sob> 

I just went and read it again. :)

Yea Ron!  Let's build some momentum about Fargo!  

#11 of 63 Old 05-05-2014, 05:28 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28
Hello all - core this morning and an easy 3 mi run this evening. I'm ignoring the bike drama from yesterday until next weekend's outdoor ride. I will add extra clipping out and in to each trainer ride this week to help me remember that they've been adjusted and I can easily unclip now smile.gif

Great race reports mindi and bob!

Don't believe everything you think
#12 of 63 Old 05-06-2014, 05:22 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 0
Mindi - what a fabulous race report.  Tears everywhere...CONGRATULATIONS!
#13 of 63 Old 05-06-2014, 07:15 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4

congrats to RIL and bob!!! you two continue to be inspirations to us all - recover well, friends!! 

you can do it, bigG!!! i know you can! (and congrats on the promo!) and you too, amichel. you ladies are both putting in the work. keep plucking away! 

and theia, you are a bad ass yourself. i simply don't know how you workout so much on so little sleep.

good morning ron. did you end up signing up for that half you mentioned a while ago? :) 

i've always wanted to run fargo.....

good days, all. 

#14 of 63 Old 05-06-2014, 07:41 AM
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's our server was down yesterday so I left a little early and got a short run in.  It felt good after sitting most of the day.  Tonight I will lift a little.  It is much cooler this week thank goodness.  It goes from the 90's to the 60's.  I think I like the 60's better.

BigG it feels like forever since I have run a marathon, but I think I am starting to get motivated to run one.

Amichel good job on the run and core.  I did some abs before I jumped in the shower this morning too.

Good morning NCRG.

Missy I did not.  I had a couple of terrible 10 mile runs in mid April and felt like another 3 would have made them that much worse.  I don't know it isn't a huge race so there is still time I guess.

#15 of 63 Old 05-06-2014, 08:23 AM - Thead Starter

fargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargo

Good morning 30s! I got 5 miles in before work today! I love it when that happens!  Exclamation points everywhere!

fargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargofargo

I wasn't sure I was going to make it.  I worked my #2 job at Macy's last night and when I got there I discovered that the store was open until 10 instead of 9 due to the sale that's going on.  So I was there until 10:30 and didn't get to bed until after 11. But, last night was the last night at Macy's.  I gave them my notice when I got the promotion.  The hours may run a little later for this new job, making working evenings at Macy's a little tougher, plus I want to focus on orienting to this new job.  And still be able to enjoy my life this summer.  I didn't ever intend to stay on after the holidays, but they asked if I would stay on in an on-call kind of capacity to cover other manager's vacations and such.  They said I'm welcome to come back to work there any time. :)  I will miss the employee discount.  :(

Gorgeous morning to be out there too.  Sunny and cool, very little wind.  I ran along Cascade Creek and there were birds a-singing and ducks a-swimming.  

Has anyone here ever heard of SportsLegs? They recently started carrying it at TerraLoco and a woman who had just run Boston was singing it's praises at a recent 5$ 5k night.   

Here's to FANTASTIC DAY!  Wooty Hoo Hoo! More exclamation points!  

Yeah, I should run before work EVERY morning.  :D

#16 of 63 Old 05-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28
Humbling swim this morning. It's good for me wink.gif

Don't believe everything you think
#17 of 63 Old 05-06-2014, 09:57 AM
Ron
Special Member

BigG the new job sounds exciting.

Amichel a morning swim sounds invigorating.

#18 of 63 Old 05-06-2014, 10:05 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9

Fargo is 42 hours via train from Eugene.  Huh.

I've been too busy to run lately.  I'll try to fix that today. 

Congrats again to Mindi and Bob on their successful runs!

Congrats to BigG on the job!

#19 of 63 Old 05-06-2014, 11:05 AM
Special Member

Thanks all!

I'd consider Fargo in 2015.  It is an 8 hour drive from here.

#20 of 63 Old 05-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Ron
Special Member

If I ran 10 mm for 15 hours a day I would get to Fargo in about 20 days.  I better save my vacation days.

#21 of 63 Old 05-06-2014, 12:53 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

If I ran 10 mm for 15 hours a day I would get to Fargo in about 20 days.  I better save my vacation days.

lol

#22 of 63 Old 05-06-2014, 05:22 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckgeek View Post

Fargo is 42 hours via train from Eugene.  Huh.

Looks like its 22-1/2 hours from here. oy.

Congrats to Goon on the job!

And to RIL for the BQ! 

hello2.gif

Sale Saturday - sold some stuff. I didn't expect to sell much (didn't) because people generally go for $23 and under at this venue, and 90% of my pots were quite a bit more than that. I sold more after though, which is usually how it goes.

Sunday - real estate agent friend came over. She surprisingly wasn't concerned about some of the stuff I was, but we need to seriously purge/pack/declutter. UG. This is going to take longer than I want, but with my schedule and me being the only one trying to move it along... All I can do is what I can. [shrug]

Walked a couple with O tonight. Trying to do at least something every day. That's my goal for May.

#23 of 63 Old 05-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9

Good luck, Kath.  Sucks that you are flying solo on that task.

I decided to go on the clock for today's run after a number of weeks of running with no tracking.  6.21 miles in 46:05 for 7:25 pace.  It wasn't easy, but not too tough either.  I was getting a little paranoid about the wonky calf towards the end, but it never flared up.

Speaking of Fargo, have any of you been watching that new TV show? Helluva cast they assembled.  It's pretty clever so far, but the accents aren't as good as in the movie version.

#24 of 63 Old 05-07-2014, 06:30 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76

(((Kath))) That is tough for sure.  

Last night's bike ride was an adventure, to say the least.  First, my chain popped off.  I put it back on but then had enormous trouble switching gears (I couldn't get into my big ring to save my life, so I looked like Fred Flintstone with my legs flying around at 100 mph but my progress going nowhere!).  I rode like that for about 4 miles to a bike shop, where they did some adjustments and sent me on my way.  There were other dramatic moments, but all in all I learned that I need to spend more time on my bike!!!!  Not a news flash, I know.  I ended up with 17.65 miles in just over an hour.  Rolling hills the whole way.  Those short downhill sections are so fun (when you're not acting like Fred Flintstone, that is).  

Ran about 5 miles this morning.  5 hill repeats on a short hill, so I'm not exactly sure of the mileage.  Just guessing based on my time.  

Tonight we are taking my dad to see Chicago (the band, not the musical or the city).  I really, really hope he is up for it.  He is spiraling downhill FAST.  This would be a huge mental and emotional boost for him, even though it will be physically taxing.  I am hoping beyond hope that he can handle it and enjoys himself for a few hours.  

#25 of 63 Old 05-07-2014, 07:17 AM - Thead Starter

((((((((((Katholeenie))))))) That is no fun at all.  I'm sorry. 

And ((((((((Theia))))))))))))) I hope your Dad has a BLAST tonight.  :)

Timed my morning commute to perfectly coincide with the thunderstorm that rolled in. :mad: Stood at the bus stop with my wrapped plate of treats for Nurses Week hoping nothing got wet and soggy.  

I'm a little damp, but the treats are fine. 

I'm supposed to do a tempo run today but I donated blood yesterday afternoon so I think I'll save the hard effort for tomorrow and do a sleasy 3 over lunch today. I maybe shouldn't have donated blood just a few weeks out from this half marathon.  I wasn't really thinking.  :(

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page