Mother Nature's Spring teasing, 3/3/2014 - 3/9/2014 - KickRunners.com

#1 of 43 Old 03-03-2014, 04:17 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7

G'morning folks.

Spring moved in here for one nice day yesterday, but temps drop probably 20 degrees today, and at the moment, it's raining outside.   It's still better than the feet of snow that some of you guys are getting through, I'll admit.  Hopefully mother nature will soon be done with this beast of a winter, and we all can start moving to stable and enjoyable spring weather soon.

RiL - regarding your 3 hour run:  You are indeed, a BAMF!

I hope everyone has a great week ahead of them!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 43 Old 03-03-2014, 06:22 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3

Thanks Ailarie!

Glad you had a nice day yesterday.  20 sounds downright tropical.  It was -8.5 here this morning when I woke up.  Sofa king sick of the cold.

Have a great week!

#3 of 43 Old 03-03-2014, 07:18 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28
Likes Given: 1
Hey all. Stitches are out, healing is still slow on the part that couldn't be stitched. Hoping for some fitnessing this week, without any drama!

Stay warm and healthy and sane, my friends!

Don't believe everything you think

#4 of 43 Old 03-03-2014, 08:27 AM
Ron
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 22

Morning 30's I had a good weekend of working out and I should be able to get a short run in tonight.  This coming Saturday it is back to double digits.  I was just short of 9 Saturday and should have run longer but I was tired.  We had more than doubled our rain fall for the week this weekend.  We really needed rain but that much at one time did more damage then good.

Ailarie Spring will be here soon.

RIL that is cold.  Nice running over the weekend.

Amichel that must feel much better.  I also assume the lego splint is gone too.

#5 of 43 Old 03-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Ron
Special Member

Duck I wish I could have come up.  Did you go to a game?  You probably didn't enjoy the outcome as much as I did.

#6 of 43 Old 03-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

Duck I wish I could have come up.  Did you go to a game?  You probably didn't enjoy the outcome as much as I did.

Didn't make it.  I usually don't go to baseball games until its in the 70s, and even then I don't stay long.  It's one of the few sports I don't really follow.

#7 of 43 Old 03-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49

Hi, everyone.  RIL, that was a **** of a TM run.  I think my brain would shut off long before 20 miles on a TM...

Amichel, I hope the healing is going as scheduled...

I did 3.3 hilly miles on the TM this evening.  Nothing special...

#8 of 43 Old 03-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19

wave.gif

You flooded Ron?

Whew, long day. Interesting conversation with doc tonight. I'm wiped out. 

(((((((Amy))))))) do you know if you cut a nerve?

#9 of 43 Old 03-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28
Short tm workout this evening, it's a start!

I do not know that I did cut a nerve, so I assume I didn't? I can't bend my thumb yet, but I think that's from the swelling. This is day 8 and they said it could take 10 weeks to heal!

Don't believe everything you think
#10 of 43 Old 03-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4

hello all.

RIL!!! your TM run was amazing!!! i bow down! are you feeling stiff/achy today? way to power through!!

you likely did cut a nerve, amichel, if you severed an artery. don't be surprised if you have some loss of sensation in the finger in the future - i cut mine 8 years ago and it still feels a little numb here and there. 

busy day at work and i am BEAT. probably because i stayed up late to watch the oscars last night. i usually don't but i really wanted to watch idina menzel's performance of "let it go" so i ended up watching the entire thing. 

lots of great movies out there i need to see still. 

i got in 38 mins on the elliptical yesterday at the Y and nothing today because of my long work day. i'm hoping to get out for some sort of shorty run tomorrow while AK Is in ballet class.

good night all!

#11 of 43 Old 03-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Special Member

Thanks all.  3 hours on the treadmill was a bit crazy, but believe it or not, it actually wasn't that bad.  Given I have done 99% of all my running on the TM the last 3 months, I am definitely used to it.

This morning was ugly though.  Bad head/chest congestion + speed work do not mix well.  I was scheduled for 55 minutes with 3 x 1 mile @ 6:58 pace.  I did it, but I had to stop a couple times during each repeat because I couldn't breathe.  Ugh.  To make up for it, I threw in 2 extra .25 repeats @ 6:58 pace during my cool down.  7 miles.  Not pretty, but done.

Nice work on the elliptical Missy.  I have a really hard time on those things.

Amy - hope you continue healing up and that it doesn't hurt too much.  Finger injuries are the worst because it is so easy to aggravate them.

Ron - yes, are you flooded?  Sounds pretty crazy in your area.

Speaking of weather, we got more snow last night and the high today is 11.  #&^@!&#*@^

Tomorrow registration opens for the Chicago Marathon.  I'm going to register.  The fee is $185 though, which is ridiculous.

#12 of 43 Old 03-04-2014, 08:20 AM
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's we did have some issues with all that rain but I am still here.  It is just kind of a vicious cycle.  The hills are dry from no rain.  Then we have fires because of how dry everything is (usually arson). When we do get rain the hills are bare from the fires so the weight of the water on the hills causes the dirt to slide.  I didn't workout yesterday but I plan on lifting tonight then I have time for a good run in the morning.

Duck there isn't time to follow every sport.

Bob way to start off your day!

(((Kath))) I hope you are feeling ok.

Amichel 10 weeks.  Are you able to get some workouts in? 

missy I normally don't watch the awards shows but for some reason the kids starting watching the Oscars.  Idina was fantastic.  We loved Frozen.

RIL historically I have done most of my runs on the TM and I have gotten use to it, but I am try to do my long runs these days outside.  Nice running F... the cold.

#13 of 43 Old 03-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Special Member

4 miles in 6F this morning with B. real feel? unscientifically by me, - 50F. heh.

i'm a winter warrior. hear me raaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwrrrrr. 

#14 of 43 Old 03-04-2014, 01:09 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amichel View Post

This is day 8 and they said it could take 10 weeks to heal!

Yuck!!  That's brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy1102 View Post

4 miles in 6F this morning with B. real feel? unscientifically by me, - 50F. heh.

Haha.  Just a little unscientific.  :)  It was 13 here when I ran this morning, real feel of 2.  Somehow I managed my fastest run in forEVAH.  3.2 miles in 25:45, which equates to an 8:03 pace.  I honestly have NO IDEA where that came from.  I even re-mapped the route on usatf.org to make sure I had the distance correct. Yup.  What the ???

Don't get me wrong.  I am not complaining!  :)

RIL, three hours on a TM???  Ugh and double ugh.  I can't even do an hour any more.  My max on a TM is 8 miles, and that was years ago before I realized how much better it is to run outside. 

#15 of 43 Old 03-04-2014, 06:45 PM
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

(((Kath))) I hope you are feeling ok.

I'm ok; was a weekly back apmt. We were talking about when I was sick @15 years ago, and apparently I was considerably more critical than I knew at the time. It's all good now. Or at least under control. :thumbright:

Slept like a rock last night and missed my run. Will have to get back to it tomorrow.

You people running out in the wicked cold are freaks. In the best possible way. ;)

Hi Duck!

#16 of 43 Old 03-04-2014, 07:15 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia View Post

Somehow I managed my fastest run in forEVAH.

HOLY SMOKES. wowsers!!!!!!!! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by katholeenie View Post

I'm ok; was a weekly back apmt. We were talking about when I was sick @15 years ago, and apparently I was considerably more critical than I knew at the time. It's all good now. Or at least under control. :thumbright:

You people running out in the wicked cold are freaks. In the best possible way. ;)

1- wow. you've known this doc for 15+ years? thats pretty cool.

2- heh. i totally dread it but once i'm 10 mins or so in its not too bad. its the anticipation. oh, and today after the run i went grocery shopping and was basically a popsicle by the time i got home - lesson learned. 

i'm putting off doing my taxes and folding laundry which is why i'm here at 10:15pm. ah, forget it. going to bed. night!

#17 of 43 Old 03-05-2014, 07:25 AM

Likes Earned: 24
Likes Given: 46
Quote:

i'm a winter warrior. hear me raaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwrrrrr. 

I loved this post.  :)

((Amichel's hand)))

(((katholeenie))) and (((solar))). just because. 

Woot boB on the back to back 100 mile months!  :thumbright:  Also, Theia and RIL are BAMFS fo' sho'. :notworthy:

RIL - when you're on for that long, do you change up the speed and incline? 

This is why I've avoided a Spring marathon.  I can't imagine either 20 miles on a treadmill OR 20 miles outside in this arctic freeze.  Short runs, sure.  But long ones?  notsomuch. But, I'm kind of a weenie. Although I am a little alarmed that -10 doesn't feel so bad anymore.  Like I'm getting way too acclimated to this.  50 degrees is going to feel like 80. :angryfire:

Our new local running store, TerraLoco, has this really cool Tuesday night $5 5k.  Every Tuesday.  And the money goes to benefit a different charity each week.  And after the run, the store has a raffle from your bib numbers for some pretty nice stuff.  Socks and hats and water bottles, and there's usually one pretty big ticket item like shoes or a great running jacket. And I volunteered as a mentor for their 12 week Learn to Run program, which starts tomorrow night, and I'm pretty darn excited about it! 

Happy Trails!

#18 of 43 Old 03-05-2014, 07:48 AM
Special Member

BigG - I play with the speed a little, but for the most part I stayed at the same pace, same incline (0%).

I hear you all on outside being preferable, but when in it -17 (like is was here Sunday) indoors is definitely preferable.  There is no way being out in the cold and wind for 3 hours is a smart idea.  I did almost 18 the weekend prior outside and my face was chafed and hurt for a week.  Plus it took me hours to warm up Sunday night.  No way I was going to do that again.  So the treadmill was a welcome alternative.

We got 3 more inches of snow last night and it is still freezing.  Someone needs to hunt down old man winter.  He's not f#&@$%ing welcome here any more.

#19 of 43 Old 03-05-2014, 07:50 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGahoona View Post

Our new local running store, TerraLoco, has this really cool Tuesday night $5 5k.  Every Tuesday.  And the money goes to benefit a different charity each week.  And after the run, the store has a raffle from your bib numbers for some pretty nice stuff.  Socks and hats and water bottles, and there's usually one pretty big ticket item like shoes or a great running jacket. And I volunteered as a mentor for their 12 week Learn to Run program, which starts tomorrow night, and I'm pretty darn excited about it! 

That's awesome!

#20 of 43 Old 03-05-2014, 08:40 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 0

#21 of 43 Old 03-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by katholeenie View Post

Hi Duck!

Hiya Kath!

10k at lunch on the bike path yesterday, 5 miles on Pre's trail on Monday.  Sore legs today and a little bit behind on sleep so today is a rest day or perhaps a weights day. 

I need to get with a group for some speed workouts.  I think I've done enough slogging for a while, but I'm not very disciplined about doing up tempo stuff on my own.

#22 of 43 Old 03-05-2014, 11:02 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRG71 View Post

lol.  It was actually funny because this morning the birds in our back yard were chirping really loudly - the boys and I agreed that they were probably regretting coming back here.

#23 of 43 Old 03-05-2014, 06:09 PM
Addicted Member

Quote:

1- wow. you've known this doc for 15+ years? thats pretty cool.

No. I've been going to Doc Jeff 3+ years. He partners with Doc Jay (that I have been going to for 14 years) on difficult cases. Unfortunately I fit that bill. (A lot of the crap I'm working through now is damage from the toxic cocktail of drugs I was on when my autoimmune stuff was first diagnosed. [Dr J did not prescribe the cocktail. He's gone a long way to fix the damage.]) Anyway, he has seen my file and was asking detailed questions and... yah. I knew I was in bad shape back then but... Wow.

Apmt tonight lasted 2 hours. tongue2.gif I don't like getting home so late... Seems like I have dinner and it's nearly time to go to bed. No time to work on stuff.

I did run a few this morning though, so I've got that going for me, which is nice. ;)

#24 of 43 Old 03-06-2014, 06:16 AM
Special Member

Effing insomnia is ruining my life.

#25 of 43 Old 03-06-2014, 08:41 AM
Ron
Special Member

Morning 30's I got in a nice 5 yesterday and I might be able to get a short run in tonight at the cost of lifting weights.  It is going to be warm this weekend so I hope I can get my run in early we have a busy schedule of baseball, soccer and cheer.

Missy I am not sure my body would even move if it was that cold.

BigG a weekly 5k sounds like fun.

RIL I am with you on the TM run.  My record if 22 on the TM.

Theia I wish you could get more sleep.

NCRG that is really funny.

Kath way to get that morning run in.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page