Monday Ugh July 1, 2013 - KickRunners.com

#1 of 12 Old 07-01-2013, 08:31 AM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Likes Given: 1

Bunny bunny.  Or rabbit rabbit, whatever you prefer. 

I haven't posted since I've been back to NJ.  I'm not sure why, I guess I've just been lazy.  I hope you guys haven't missed me too much. biggrin.gif

Well, our trip to Alaska was terrific.  The weather was great, and we all had a good time.  We took about 1000 pictures, and it'll take a little while to go thru them all.  And sooner or later I'll get a Race Report written up.  Not too much to say about the marathon, though.  I've mailed in the last few miles of marathons before, but I basically mailed this entire race in.  Oh well.  At least it got done... 

Btw, nobody commented on the YouTube video of DD that I posted from Alaska.  This was from the Solstice festival in Anchorage.  DD had her face painted and her hair colored up, and she's riding a mechanical Salmon -- like a mechanical bull, Alaska-style.  I thought this video was hilarious, but apparently nobody else did.  It must be one of those things where you find it interesting because it's your kid... 

Anyhoo, I finished June with 107.4 miles.  I typically don't break 100 miles in months that I run marathons.  (I had 98.1 in May and 80.5 in Februrary, my last two marathon months).  So after Q2, I'm at 651.4 miles.  Hmm, that's not all that much, is it? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 07-01-2013, 08:48 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7

Howdy Bob, and all who shall follow.

I am so very saddened by the news of the lost firefighters in AZ today.  It's hard to explain why it's hitting me so hard, since I never met any of them.  Still, it's a little overwhelming....

I see others have had some good races and runs lately.  Kudos to each of you!

Missybabe - are you back in su casa now? 

Bob - Heh.. I saw Jillian's salmon ride, but at first didn't recognize it as being her.  My main thought was hoping the random kid was okay, as that dismount looked a bit rough!  Oh.. trust me..651.4 miles is a LOT to someone who hasn't been able to run .10 yet this year :)

Speaking of which... my PT group changed my routine again this week.  The good news is that other than core and a hip/piraformis weakness issue, everything else seems to have built back up the way it should be.  I'm not doing jogs/fast standing work in spinning class, but otherwise, there is only a little bit of irritation after classes now.  I head back to PT on 7/4 and they told me... just as a test ... to bring my running shoes.  The plan is to put me on the treadmill for very short walk/run intervals to see how things work.   

I'm not exactly getting my hopes up, as the hip/piraformis thing means that my legs/knees sort of cave inward (which is what I think, started this whole chain reaction, stressing the inner circle area of the kneecaps)... so I'm not really thinking that running will be a good thing just yet, but hey.. I'll try a 15 second interval if they want here and there....  film at 11...

#3 of 12 Old 07-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3

Hey bOb and Ailarie.

bOb - I must have missed it.  I have been a bit off the radar lately too.  Glad to hear you all had a ton of fun.

Ailarie - so crazy that you are still unable to run.  Have you gotten a second opinion from anyone?  It seems like this has been going on too long.

So I pushed it too far with the weeding yesterday and my shoulder hurts like crazy today.  Oy.  I think  I am going to bag my training for Columbus, take a couple (more) weeks off, and shoot for something shorter in the fall.  Sucks, but it is looking necessary at this point.

#4 of 12 Old 07-01-2013, 09:52 AM

Likes Earned: 24
Likes Given: 46

boB, I missed it too.  My attendance in here has been spotty.  Would you repost? I'm looking forward to your race report and boBcam pics. :D

Theia.  :NotWorthy:   That is all.  

katholeenie, I don't know HOW you do that? If I napped like that during the day I'd never fall asleep at night!  I don't know if I told you or not, but I figured out crocheting.  And went berserk with it.  Did a Hats for the Holidays drive at work last Christmas and got a bunch of people making hats that we donated to the Salvation Army's Christmas Campaign. I've made a ****-ton scarves and hats, and I think it's time to branch out to more.  ANYhoo, every time I'd see your patterns on Ravelry I'd wish I was better at knitting.  So learning the stitches in crochet makes me think I'd be better at the knitting now.  Recognizing the stitches and the counting and stuff. 

I thought of Sage's son right away when I heard about those firefighters.  And indeed, her son is out there, but he's okay.  She posted on Facebook.  

I ran 10 yesterday.  The weather was great!   I've been slacking on my training plan so it felt good to complete that.  But boy, my feet were mighty creaky when I got out of bed this morning.  Achey right ankle, stabby right bunion, throbby left toe #2.  bah.  Staying on track this week!  Rest-6-3-4-Rest-13.  Plus my Power 45 class on Wednesday.  Rawr!  

AND it's a 3 day work week!  WAHOO!  I really cannot believe that June is over.  Summer is 1/3 gone?  WTH?

oh. and 20 days til the Tough Mudder.  I am getting nervous.

#5 of 12 Old 07-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9

That was one heck of a dismount, Jillian!  The Oregon judge gives her a 9.5. 

Saturday was running, Sunday was mountain biking, Sunday evening was hiking.   Monday, I'm beat.  

Family comes home this evening after a long day of travel, including a 4 hour layover at LAX.  Oof!

#6 of 12 Old 07-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76

Duck, I once had an 11 hour delay in JFK.  Luckily for me, I was 21 and therefore not as irritated by it as I would be now! 

Big G, I'm psyched to see how the Mudder goes.  Now that color runs are more popular, maybe mud/obstacle runs will be less crowded and I'll sign up for one.  Sorry I missed the video, Bob.  I don't post every day... ** but when I do, I post on kick. **

Glad KP and PHD had a fun Vegas trip and Bob and family had a fun Alaska trip!   Brandy, are you going to Chicago in a few weeks???   I hope I will see you there.

Hugs to Maria and Missy and anyone else who needs one.  Oh, Ailarie!  Hugs to you too.

So my big news is this....   September 15 will be the day I conquer my fear of open water swimming in a body of water with a current.   I signed up for the Atlantic City Triathlon (Olympic distance).  It's a bay swim.... yikes!!!!   And did I mention it's an Olympic distance???  Yikes!  Both times I've trained for Oly distance I've been miserable and burned out by the time race day arrived.  The third time will definitely be the charm.  I am going to rock this race!!!!!

#7 of 12 Old 07-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7

Ril:  No on the 2nd opinion, only because this therapy group ROCKS.  All over the place.  Remember that from Sept - early Feb, we weren't sure if I was looking at a stress fracture, meniscus issues or what...  It was only around Febuary/March that we ruled those out and started on a different pain management/anti-inflammatory process + getting started with the Drayer physical therapy group.   So.. based on that 4 month time period only, we've made good progress.  It would have been faster if I could visit the PT office during the week, I'm sure... but they're a good 30-40 minutes from here, and I'm usually there anywhere from an hour and 15 minutes to 1:30... and I can't pull off 2.5 hour visits (counting driving) each week during work hours.  :)  It's still progress though... 8 weeks ago, I couldn't even go on light resistance in spinning without some major irritation after.... so this is certainly the right road. 

My goal right now is to hopefully run in the last race I did last year... Covington's local Fuzz Run 5k.  Time be damned.. I just want to run (or run/walk) it and finish without hurting.  That's two months away, and given the progress I've seen in the past two months.. I think it's certainly possible. :)

Theia - You are a BAMF! :)

BigG - You're gonna rock TM, chica!  Well.. except for that electro-shock thing.  From what I've heard (and seen) no one rocks that stage.. just getting through it is all that matters! :)

#8 of 12 Old 07-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76

Trying (unsuccessfully) to not freak out...  I emailed my tri friends and training buddies about the AC race right after I registered.  One of them forwarded my email to another guy (way too fast for me to train with, but someone I know reasonably well).  He just replied that he'd never do that race again, last year there were so many problems, blah blah blah, buy him a drink sometime and he'll tell me all about it.  I wrote back and basically said, "No thanks!  I'd rather not know!"   Another girl on my original email distribution wrote that she heard the race director makes the swim course as hard as possible.  neutral.gif

Freaking out, freaking out, freaking out.............

#9 of 12 Old 07-01-2013, 01:35 PM - Thead Starter
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckgeek View Post

That was one heck of a dismount, Jillian!  The Oregon judge gives her a 9.5. 

Well, you're related to her, so maybe you shouldn't be allowed to judge.  biggrin.gif

Anyway, I posted the video last weekend and nobody said anything.  I guess it just flew completely over everybody's heads.  I didn't know it was possible to slip something by every single one of you guys.  But I guess if you want to slip something by, do it on the weekend... 

I think I'll run after leaving work.  Which I'm gonna do now.. .

#10 of 12 Old 07-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28
All kinds of trouble posting...must be Monday!

Late bike ride yesterday, body pump this morning and swam at lunch. I am beat!

Don't believe everything you think
#11 of 12 Old 07-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19

Drinks after work with a coworker and anther froend. Abs hurt from laughing. Might be a little buzzed right now. heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGahoona View Post

katholeenie, I don't know HOW you do that? If I napped like that during the day I'd never fall asleep at night!

I don't know if I told you or not, but I figured out crocheting.  And went berserk with it.  Did a Hats for the Holidays drive at work last Christmas and got a bunch of people making hats that we donated to the Salvation Army's Christmas Campaign. I've made a ****-ton scarves and hats, and I think it's time to branch out to more.  ANYhoo, every time I'd see your patterns on Ravelry I'd wish I was better at knitting.  So learning the stitches in crochet makes me think I'd be better at the knitting now.  Recognizing the stitches and the counting and stuff.

1) it's a testament to how exhausted I was. Normally I can't do that either. (I watched a talk Fri night about 'the power of introverts'. She addressed how society today is designed for extroverts, and how companies expect all employees to be all outgoing... (Gaa. a bit hard to esxplain now after a few jameson.) anyway, it validated how i feel about my job - can't tell you how many times they've told me i need to get out of my comfort zone - and why this isn't really a good fit for me. Well, the job could be, the company never will be. dealing with all the bs there is a big factor in why i was so tired. that and the whole chronic pain thing. 

2) COOL!!! You could totally knit. There are only 2 stitches, as opposed to crocheting, which has tons. But if you think crochet is easier, try continental style knitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia View Post

Freaking out, freaking out, freaking out.............

No! No freaking out. You can totally kick this Oly's ass. AND, if there were that many issues last year, the race director likely got hammered for them, and will make improvements for this year. (The year I hosted Glass City it was a total cluster, organization wise. But the following year the RD worked his ass off to rectify the issues, and it was WAY better.)

#12 of 12 Old 07-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 6
Hello all - Sunday was sort of a lax day for Bard and I, which was actually nice as we've been having a lot of weekends away from home of late. Today was a bit of a lax day at work for me, with a bunch of reports to write up. It wasn't exactly the most mentally stimulating work, however, so I was fighting the zzz's big time after lunch.

Today was a rest day - been throwing in some CF back into the routine and it's been good. Sunday's workout was pretty simple - modified handstand push-ups followed by modified pull-ups 21-18-15-12-9-6-3 for time. My arms and shoulders are feeling it nicely today.

This rain is becoming a bit of a downer - we've got two baseball games down in Cincy we'll be seeing barring any weather issues. I guess it beats last year, when we lost our power about this time and had to rent a hotel due to the oppressive heat at the time.

Theia - congratulations! Sounds like you did great! And no need to freak out - you're going to be fine I'm sure.

That trip really sounded fun KP & Tonya - I remember getting into Rush as a high schooler (my brothers were going through their heavy metal/rocker phase and bought quite a few of their albums) and always thought it would be a cool concert to go to.

boB - I did see that video shortly after you posted it; I was thinking Jillian was quite the trooper for getting bucked off like she did. And seeing your posts made me think Bard and I should be getting up there in the near future. Funny thing is I have a cousin who's traveling around AK right now with her family, so it was fun seeing the state from both your perspectives.

Anyway, I hope everyone's doing well, and hoping for a good Tuesday for you all.

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page