It's Monday! (June 17th) :) - KickRunners.com

#1 of 20 Old 06-17-2013, 09:29 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76

Just following Solar's lead.  :)   I thought it was a perfectly fine weekend thread title. 

First I want to apologize for my pity party on Friday.  The weekend turned out just fine, of course, and I'm sorry for being so self-indulgent.  Moving Day on Saturday was very productive.  We got a lot accomplished and were done around 3 p.m., so I got a little time to relax.  Brunch was pushed back a bit yesterday, giving me half an hour after the race to socialize (including and especially with a friend I hadn't seen in a good 6-7 years, so I was very grateful for the few extra minutes!). 

I'm really glad I did the race.  It was wonderful to be part of that atmosphere again after so long, and I'm definitely going to do at least one more tri this summer if not two.  headbang.gif  Now I have a baseline and some very concrete things to work on.  I'll spare you the details here, but if you're interested there's a race report in my blog.

Hope everyone had a good weekend, a great Father's Day, and a happy Monday so far. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 06-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28
Likes Given: 1
Hello!

Glad you had a good race and weekend, theia.

I'm gearing up for a big softball week. 8:30pm games 3 nights. Good news is ds is away for the week, so I'll only have one overtired kid to deal with smile.gif. He's going to golf camp for 90 min a day and spending the rest of the time with dh's mom at the lake.

I was planning to swim at noon today, but couldn't get away. I need to look up the evening swim info because that happens way too often.

Don't believe everything you think
#3 of 20 Old 06-17-2013, 09:58 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Amichel, I was actually thinking of you as I posted.  I'm psyched for you to enter this crazy, kooky tri world!  Can you swim in the morning or are your mornings too packed?   One thing that was perfectly clear to me yesterday is that I desperately need to spend more time in the pool.  I apologize in advance to my hair. 

#4 of 20 Old 06-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28
Theia - I can swim at the gym by myself, but the masters group doesn't have morning practice times. The last few weeks have been crazy, but I expect things to calm down (please!!!) after next week.

Don't believe everything you think
#5 of 20 Old 06-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 2

Afternoon all!   Had a really nice weekend of tons of beers, tons of sweat, good food & music and the company of J's cousin, Sarah.  Made myself go to bed a little early last night and got back at it this morning for 5:30 CF (today was back squatting, clean shrugging and lots of farmer carries).   

My family put on a sweet birthday/father's day combo for my pops yesterday... looks like everyone had plenty to eat, drink and laugh about. Yay!

Kris & Moonie - I'm a little obsessed with the kitty pictures, I must admit  biggrin.gif

Conga-rats Alexis!!!    How did dad enjoy the day yesterday?  

Mindi - I loved the picture of your boys giving DH a Father's Day greeting  <3

#6 of 20 Old 06-17-2013, 10:29 AM
Special Member

Likes Given: 4
Hi guys. Just swamped dealing with insurance adjustors, surveyors, and contractors. The bad news is the damage is worse tgan previously thought - about 80% of our condo, including AK's room, needs to be gutted. And I also worked the entire weekend. Nothing else to report.
#7 of 20 Old 06-17-2013, 12:18 PM
KP
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 0

that sucks Missy!

afternoon gang.

Solid weekend here - last long run Saturday morning and then a 30 mile bike ride yesterday followed by some quality couch/US Open time.

Today I'm jumping through some hoops to get our mortgage re-fi finished.  And I've started obsessively checking the weather for my race this weekend.

It's not about goal setting, it is about goal achievement.  Anyone can set goals, few are willing to do what it takes to actually achieve them.    Vern Gambetta
My Blog I My Running Log 
#8 of 20 Old 06-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49

Missy, that sounds like such an awful thing to go thru.  I hope it all works out as best as possible... 

So KP, what's the weather looking like?  For me, things look good.  Today Anchorage is sunny and in the mid 80s, but by Saturday it'll be mostly cloudy with a high of 68.  I'll take it... 

I've got a 5k race at 8:00pm tonight.  I've never done this particular race before.  Looking forward to it... 

#9 of 20 Old 06-17-2013, 12:55 PM
KP
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 0

chance of showers and thunderstorms, mostly cloudy, high near 71

It's not about goal setting, it is about goal achievement.  Anyone can set goals, few are willing to do what it takes to actually achieve them.    Vern Gambetta
My Blog I My Running Log 
#10 of 20 Old 06-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Addicted Member

Oh Missy... what a huge PITA!!  So sorry hon... get yourself an ice-cream sammich!  I recommend Jeni's Salty Caramel w/Smoked Almonds

#11 of 20 Old 06-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 39
Likes Given: 9

Father's day weekend was good, with a little bit of golf, some tractoring, and some bike riding with the two little ones on the trail where I do my long runs - see FB for pics. 

Sounds like all the other Papa's had a good day.

Theia - glad it all worked out and that you enjoyed your race day.  :)

Ran 6 miles at lunch today and got a bit overheated.  I'm definitely not heat acclimated, and my weight hasn't budged so I'm hauling a big booty around as well.  Ooof!

Mila finished her FidOTRoof run yesterday.  I think it was a positive experience for her. 

#12 of 20 Old 06-17-2013, 03:22 PM - Thead Starter
Special Member

(((Missy))) The joys of homeownership are plentiful, aren't they? sad.gif

Good luck, Bob.
#13 of 20 Old 06-17-2013, 03:57 PM
Ron
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 22

Afternoon 30's this is the last week of the kids school but their Summer schedule will be just as busy but probably not as early.  I ran a little over 8 yesterday and a little over 3 today.  Both runs were good but I am being careful as I can slight feel the area that has bothered me in my left leg.  

#14 of 20 Old 06-17-2013, 03:58 PM
Ron
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 22

(((((Missy))))) That is terrible.  I am sorry you have to go through this.

#15 of 20 Old 06-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningINnyc View Post

Mindi - I loved the picture of your boys giving DH a Father's Day greeting  <3

YES!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy1102 View Post

about 80% of our condo, including AK's room, needs to be gutted.

Whoa. That SUCKS. (((((((((((((Missy))))))}})})}}}}

Some of you may have seen Dh's fb post about our front porch furniture being stolen. So that was a nice start to the day. tongue2.gif

(Neither of us heard the dogs, if they reacted. But between Dh snoring, the fans, and the pillow over the top of my head, I wasn't likely to while sleeping.) Anyway, it was just crappy wicker stuff we garbage picked and I fixed up (repaired the wicker, painted, and got new cushions), so not a huge loss monitarily, but..... Our porch is not exposed. You could barely see the furniture, and had to look quickly when driving past to even get a glimpse. Oskar will probably be graduating his crate really soon. 

Darnit, there was something else and I can't remember.

#16 of 20 Old 06-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49

Who steals porch furniture?  Is there some big black market for the reselling of that stuff? 

My 5k tonight was really fun.  I finished in about 21:40.  Haven't seen the official results, but that's what my Garmin said.  So it's well off my PR, but since I'm about as heavy as I've ever been, it's as good as I could have hoped for. 

But what set this race apart was the fact that they had a Sam Adams truck with unlimited free beer after the race.  They had Boston Lager, Summer Ale, and Angry Orchard Cider.  I had one of each.  I've seen marathons with beer before, but even most of those have a limit of one or two.  The New Haven 20k has unlimited Red Hook Ale, which is one reason I really like that race.  But I've never seen a 5k with unlimited free beer before.  This has now officially jumped onto my list of favorite races.  biggrin.gif

#17 of 20 Old 06-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10

Ugh, missy :(  So sorry you're dealing with such a mess!

Kath -- that sucks!  And it's a little creepy, too...

Congrats to Theia and Mila!  Good running weather vibes to Kp and Bob

Good luck figuring out the stomach stuff, Brandy

I made it through the 20 miler this weekend on this bum ankle, but yesterday's easy 5.5 seems to have made it crankier, so I took today off.  I can bear weight on it -- it's just swollen and hurts to have pressure on it (like a shoe) and bend it.  I'm wondering just how stupid or not (maybe just annoying?) running on this possible avulsion fracture is...  but I'm not stopping if I can help it.  It usually bothers me for like the first 3 miles and then I don't really feel it anymore.   I don't want to throw the towel in on Wales yet! 

solarpoweredlife
If today was perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow.
#18 of 20 Old 06-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBob View Post

Who steals porch furniture?  Is there some big black market for the reselling of that stuff? 

No idea. And it wasn't even great furniture!!! (Or they thought I did a fabulous job fixing it up?? Not really.)

I still can't remember what I was going to tell you guys earlier. Bob is snuggling me and it's so uncomfortably warm i think my brain is melting. (Ok, and I got VERY LITTLE sleep last night, so that doesn't help.)

#19 of 20 Old 06-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Given: 6

Hi all - first off, a belated happy father's day to all of you fatherly-types on this board.

Bard and I got to spend time with her relatives up north this weekend, mainly to catch her brother and family, who are in town for a couple weeks after moving to Denver this year (being in Nebraska for several years prior to the move.)  We'll be up next week too to hang out.  We ended up staying the night at her sister's family who lives in the area, and they had just taken in a couple of kittens into the house.  Those two younguns spent a good chunk of time Sunday morning pouncing about while we adult types just kinda' spent a lazy morning flopped on the couch drinking coffee and waiting for the caffeine to kick in.  Out of the two kittens, one is a percher - she took residence on my feet before moving on to other people's sturdier shoulders.  The other is the more hyperactive of the two; he spends a lot of his "down" time cleaning himself and purring at the same time.

Came home to see we had received an awesome thank you card from three of my nephews for the gift cards I sent them - it looks like they'll be putting them to good use to pick up all sorts of fun stuff.

Had a late day at work today, so was able to sneak in only a smallish CF workout today.  I want to get back in the groove again ASAP, especially since the weekend was filled with a fair amount of brews and brats and similar grilled meat products.

Nice racing Theia and and boB...and Mila too! icon_salut.gif

(((((Lora))))) Ugh - I hope that ankle can hold up, at least through Wales

(((((Missy)))) Ugh - that just sounds awful.  I really hope it can be all worked out as best and as quickly as it can be.

(((((Kath))))) Really?  Wow - maybe you need to disguise Oskar as a wicker chair and that thief would get a rather rude surprise

If nothing else, our CSA is challenging us to dig deep into the vast recipe archives on the internet for some variety.    But then again, there's only so much you can do with certain stuff like lettuce LOL

Anyway, I hope everyone is due for a good Tuesday tomorrow

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog
#20 of 20 Old 06-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3

Thanks re the photo - we had fun with that and made DH a bunch of fun surprises for when he got home.

Missy - that is really awful.  What are you going to do while it is repaired.

Kath - I did see that.  WTF?  Be extra careful.  Call the police and file a report too.  While the stuff taken may not be valuable, they'll hang out in  your neighborhood more if you ask them to.

Nice 5k bOb - I'd love a 21:40 right now.  I can't believe you are up for AK already.  Are you super excited? I'd love to go to AK.

Nice race Theia - I quickly read your blog but did not have time to comment.  SO glad you are back at it and your boootay is cooperating with your efforts.

Me?  I am busy, sore and all out of sorts.  My R calf feels seriously strained which is crazy given that I have hardly been running.  Aging sucks.

In good news, DH's  trial is likely to end tomorrow, I settled a big case today (very favorably thank you very much) and we go on VACATION in the mountains (aka my happy place) on Friday.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page