Let's all have a Smooooth Monday! June 10 - KickRunners.com

#1 of 14 Old 06-10-2013, 06:48 AM - Thead Starter

Likes Earned: 24
Likes Given: 46

Hola!  Happy Monday! 

Since we're all getting on the smoothie train, I thought I'd share this:  http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/smart-choices/low-calorie-smoothies-00412000077134/page12.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 06-10-2013, 06:57 AM - Thead Starter

Oh, and running!  I ran 9.25 miles on Saturday instead of 8, because I suck at math.  Seester Goon and I ran together, she thought 8 was too much.  So I ran to pick her up at my Mom's house a couple miles away, and we thought she could run 6 and then I'd run back home.  However, that equals 10 miles.  Doh.  Her knees were hurty so she didn't run 6 after all.  

And we stopped at a playground and did monkey bars and pull ups.  Wow.  That's going to be the hard part.  Upper body strength isn't going to be the bigger problem, it's my super soft paper pushing hands that are going to get shredded!  We went back and forth on the monkey bars 4-5 times and my hands were just short of blistering.  crap.  Yesterday I worked on more pull ups and push ups and worked on my abs and core. 

#3 of 14 Old 06-10-2013, 07:29 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 20
Likes Given: 1

morning all

On Saturday I did 4 x 1 mile at GRP (8 min mile) with a total of 10 miles

Yesterday my watch was dead so pacing was interesting.  I did 14.25 at 8:47 pace. 

Looking forward to getting new shoes on Wednesday from the shoe whisperer.  It has been far too long

#4 of 14 Old 06-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76

Nice runs, ladies!  BigG, you do math like I do.  rolleyes.gif  I was all excited to go over 20 miles for the week for the first time in FOREVAH, and then I realized I hadn't run as much as I thought I had....  Oh well. 

I am in taper mode, although you'd never know it from this morning's class.  Oof!  I'm already starting to feel some soreness.  Not very smart, Theia.

A cool thing happened during Saturday's humid sweat-fest (7.3 miles, but from my sweat level you'd have thought I'd done 27.3!).   As I came out of the trails, I saw two women walking ahead of me in the neighborhood.   After a minute, they began jogging.  They heard me coming up behind them, so they turned around and we all said hi.  The older woman (mid- to late 50s, I'd guess) said she was just learning how to run.  I had already just passed them at that point, but I stopped dead in my tracks and jogged with them for a few minutes to talk to them.  She was clearly a bit self-conscious (a little overweight, jogging slowly and alternating with walking), but I gave her the biggest pep talk ever.  I think it's SOFA KING COOL that she just started running at her age.  The younger woman said proudly, "She did 3 1/2 miles earlier this week!"   The older woman quickly said, "Well, it wasn't all running."  I was like, "You covered 3.5 miles.  That counts.  Awesome job!!!!'  And then I gave her a high five and went on my way.   I smiled all the way home after talking to them. 

#5 of 14 Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 2

Afternoon all!   Fun weekend with book club and the wedding of a couple friends, spent yesterday doing some food shopping and recovering.  This morning I started a new training block at CF that will last 4 weeks; I'm going to try and stick with several of the others in this block by hitting workouts at 5:30 a.m. each day.   Today was a great start but I'll def need to do some serious adjusting to my bedtime to make this a success.   One of the best parts of working out that early and still having a ton of time until I need to be at work is that I'll be able to run home from CF, shower and get myself together before commuting to the office. So a nice & consistent 5+ mile run each day.   

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGahoona View Post

We went back and forth on the monkey bars 4-5 times and my hands were just short of blistering.  crap.  Yesterday I worked on more pull ups and push ups and worked on my abs and core. 

This is now the story of my life since starting CrossFit; ripped hands and/or massive calluses.  Pretty as all **** I tell ya!  icon_puke_r.gif

#6 of 14 Old 06-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49

Hello, ladies.  I hope everybody is having a good Monday. 

Nice 17 mile run on Saturday for me.  No workout yesterday.  Well, I did a lot of yardwork, but nothing that I can put into my log.  Today I'll run some more...

A week and a half until I'm on vacation.  I can't wait... 

#7 of 14 Old 06-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11

Thanks for the smoothie link BigG- got a Vitamix over the weekend so I'm anxious to try some out. I tend to stick with a pretty basic one most of the time- protein powder, almond milk and some fruit, so it would be good to get some veggies in there too.

#8 of 14 Old 06-10-2013, 12:43 PM - Thead Starter

Brandy, the shoe whisperer is in? I should get on her calendar. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia View Post

A cool thing happened during Saturday's humid sweat-fest (7.3 miles, but from my sweat level you'd have thought I'd done 27.3!).   As I came out of the trails, I saw two women walking ahead of me in the neighborhood.   After a minute, they began jogging.  They heard me coming up behind them, so they turned around and we all said hi.  The older woman (mid- to late 50s, I'd guess) said she was just learning how to run.  I had already just passed them at that point, but I stopped dead in my tracks and jogged with them for a few minutes to talk to them.  She was clearly a bit self-conscious (a little overweight, jogging slowly and alternating with walking), but I gave her the biggest pep talk ever.  I think it's SOFA KING COOL that she just started running at her age.  The younger woman said proudly, "She did 3 1/2 miles earlier this week!"   The older woman quickly said, "Well, it wasn't all running."  I was like, "You covered 3.5 miles.  That counts.  Awesome job!!!!'  And then I gave her a high five and went on my way.   I smiled all the way home after talking to them. 

How did that go? "Every freaking mile that was in front of you, that is now freaking behind you, freaking counts".  I have the utmost respect for the people that I see that are out of shape, or older, and struggling, but STILL GOING.  Every time I see someone like that I think ATTA GIRL! or ATTA BOY!, whichever.  :)

#9 of 14 Old 06-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Ron
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 22

Afternoon 30's.  I lifted today but I am taking a couple of running rest days.  The leg that bothers me on occasion had a slight twinge last week so I decided to shut it down for a couple of days.  I was running a little faster then normal and when it happened.  I have figured out if I run slow then no problems.  When I speed up trouble.  Oh well.

Some of you are running some impressive miles.  Rock on.

#10 of 14 Old 06-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGahoona View Post

Brandy, the shoe whisperer is in? I should get on her calendar. 

limited but yes

they have an online system now

http://run.gearwest.com/category/gait-analysis/400884/1657308

I had to schedule 2 months in advance

#11 of 14 Old 06-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Ron
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 22

My Nimbus 14's came in the mail today.  It is hard not to go for a run but I will wait until tomorrow.

#12 of 14 Old 06-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49

I went out for a fartlek in the rain.  It's raining much harder now, so I guess I went at the right time...

#13 of 14 Old 06-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19

Every time I see you guys talking about Nimbuses I think brooms.

Ann and Alexis, it was the bully adding all the quotes. After saying WHAT THE HECK IS THIS?!? (really loud, and scaring my Pat) I checked the ink color (we have a sign off tag), realized who added them and then I GLEEFULLY deleted them all. 

Heh.

I just had a KICK ASS throwing session. Literally 5 minutes per ball. Centering, throwing, finishing, cutting off. HA! Still have to trim them, but I just got a ton of work done.

#14 of 14 Old 06-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 6

Hi all - like Bard said yesterday, I baked up a couple of yummy goodies with the CSA strawberries we received which we'll be alternating for breakfast this week.  That only went through one of our two pints, however.  The last remaining pint that was starting to get overripe, so I'm drying the strawberries out in the oven as I type for future recipes.  First thing I want to try is some knockoff Larabar recipes that include dried strawberries in the ingredients.

Bard cooked up a beet recipe that we'll actually do again, considering we're both not the biggest beet fans.   Still have some asparagus and green onions that will most likely go into a szechwan style dish in the next couple days.

Got in my longest run of the comeback Sunday - about 4.4 miles in somewhat humid conditions; however, there was enough of a breeze to make it not too bad an experience.  Got in my first CF-style workout today after work - more like a flirty thirty than a filthy fifty, but it was still more than enough of a workout for certain.

Saw the weather forecasts for Wednesday and heard the word "derecho" mentioned - not exactly a welcome word especially considering what happened last year almost one year ago.

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well, and may your Tuesdays be good ones.

How to run a marathon: Step 1: You start running. There is no Step 2
- Joe
My Newest Blog

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page