Terrific Tuesday - KickRunners.com

#1 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 05:52 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 20
Likes Given: 1

well, let's see if some positive thinking makes a difference :)

Run last night was blah - the stomach was iffy and became worse and worse.  Then I did Killer Abs (JM DVD) for the first time yesterday.  Some of the moves were a little 'complicated' for me.  I think I could do the work but couldn't quite figure out the timing.

Also, as I started my run and was about a block of way from my house (in Mpls proper), I see this thing bouncing down the street towards me.  I am thinking to myself "that dog is HUGE and why is it loose???"  then as it crossed the VERY busy cross street, I realized it was a good sized deer barreling towards me scard out of her mind.  I stopped and as it got about 10 feet from me, realized it wasn't changing its direction so I yelled at it so it would startle and not run me over.  It continued down the street, stopped at the intersection to check for traffic and then continued along.

Then later I saw the **** racoon again.  grumble

running after work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 06:16 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3

Morning Brandy!

That is crazy.  I hate seeing deer like that in the  streets because often times they get hit.

I've seen a ton of racoons lately too.

My night was awesome.  My GOTR girls had a run-a-thon (ran laps for pledges) and a bake sale.  They ran like rock stars - running from 2.5 miles to one girl who did 7.5!  They also raised over $700 for cancer charities.  How awesome is that?  Best news is that CC starts here in 7th grade.  But I talked to the coach last week and they are going to open it up to a few 6th graders.  They aren't advertising it because they don't have enough coaches, but they are taking several of my graduating girls.  They we so THRILLED when I told them.  Awesome.  

So I am flying pretty high today.

I also ran an hour this morning.  I had no headache last night or this morning, but do have a very dull headache now.  Hopefully it will leave me quickly so I feel okay to run tomorrow.

602405_10151412983366135_1818704406_n.jpg

#3 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 06:58 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4
Way scary, brandy. I see deer every once in a while but Bella scares them away for me with her enthusiastic sniffing - she thinks they're large dogs ( "Hey guys! Wanna be my frend?!??")

Dose of awesomeness frm Ril!

Add me to the smoothie bunch - we've been having strawberry/banana smoothies every morning. Then J went to Costco and bought me the blender I've been coveting for 2 years - the vitamix. Woooooot!!

#4 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 06:59 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 20

forgot to say ((MISSY))

#5 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 07:26 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy View Post

forgot to say ((MISSY))

Shoot - me too.  I hope all is okay with you.  Sending lots of vibes and hugs your way.

#6 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Given: 2

Morning all!   Nice sweatfest last night at CF just after the rain stopped... 400m run, 60 high pulls per arm, 50 toes to bar, 25 front squats (105#), 400m run.   More CF tonight, rowing, dips and turkish getups

Mindi - what a fantastic night!!!

Kath - way to keep your cool; that's the way I have to position myself amongst my family often too, just too many emotions running wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy1102 View Post

Add me to the smoothie bunch - we've been having strawberry/banana smoothies every morning. Then J went to Costco and bought me the blender I've been coveting for 2 years - the vitamix. Woooooot!!

Vitamix and Champion Juicer are both the bulkiest and most favorite of my appliances... yay!!!    Hope the medical stuff gets smoothed out, hugs!

#7 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 07:51 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11

It's officially going to be a good day...I'm wearing size 4 pants I haven't worn in 6 years and they are loose in the waist to boot! Insanity class for me at the gym on tap tonight. I have been absolutely swamped with work stuff that I haven't posted much- project I put off way too long. No fun. Missy- let me know what you think about the Vitamix-I've been debating one!

#8 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 08:37 AM

Likes Earned: 24
Likes Given: 46

((((Missy)))) 

We've had a lot of deer in my hood, and I'm pretty much IN the city, but we have a couple of wooded areas nearby.  It's still startling to round a bend on the running path and have one standing right there.  The funniest was when I was driving home and there was one crossing the street -  in the crosswalk at the stop light.  Way to obey the rules, deer! 

My back is still off kilter.  Not debilitating or anything, just uncomfortable and off.  It's on the left mostly, and I just can't tell if it's muscle or joint related, or if I have an ovary or kidney that's going bad.  Standing or sitting or moving or stretching doesn't really make it any better or any worse. It was worse after the Power 45 class last Wednesday and it's been up and down since, though not as bad as it was on Thursday. I ran the trail race Saturday and it was okay. I rested Sunday and Monday and I plan to run a short run over lunch on the treadmill today.   Treadmill.  :P 

Big Ass Green Monster this morning! but I haven't had any H2O today, must go hydrate.  

"Nothing matters but the weekend, from a Tuesday point of view" ~ The Kings

#9 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Special Member

RiL- your GOTR stuff is cool- I worked with them previously- great organization! Sorry about the back BigG. I have a headache...maybe dehydration.

#10 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 28
Add me to the injured list. I was trying to catch the dog last night and as I grabbed his collar, he changed directions and pulled me with him. No biggie, except my head met the door jam! Besides the goose egg, it jarred my neck and back. Ugh, I just can't seem to get through a training cycle without some sort of interruption. Hopefully this one will be brief.

((Hurty parts)) ((sickos))

But yeah for positive thinking and skinny pants and sweat fests and standing up to bullies!

Happy Tuesday all!

Don't believe everything you think
#11 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 27

Brandy - deer chase...that would be scarey!  I recently saw a tiny baby deer standing scared to death in the middle of the road during a thunderstorm.  There was a suburban just sitting there waiting for it to move.  I jumped out and shoo'd it to the side of the road as its mom stood on the sidelines looking on. Deer moms get me so angry, they are very negligent.  This little one was a newborn, my dogs were bigger, it was the cutest thing I have ever seen.  As I got back in the car the dude in the Suburban rides by and goes, "I saw the mom so I figured I would just wait until it followed her"...tool.

RIL - Way to go on the GOTR success and great picture!

Goon- Hope your back problems aren't kidney stones or something.  Keep hydrated!!!

Amichel - sorry about the fall!  I always get injured when I am in training too.  That's why I'm not officially training so I won't get hurt, lol.

I've had a headache for a few days, not sure if it's sinuses or what but it's getting on my nerves.  I've been taking allegra in case it's allergies, mucinex in case its sinuses and even my migraine medicine.  Nothing seems to get rid of it just lessen the pain.  Anyway, I got out for a short run today.  Just 2.5 miles, it's beautiful out!!!  I wish it was like this every day!

#12 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Ron
Special Member

Likes Earned: 31
Likes Given: 22

Morning 30's.  I had a good weight workout and then a blah 4.25 mile run.  I just felt over heated the whole time.  Oh well it is done I will probably do my abs later.

Brandy that is scary.

RIL very cool my dd13 is going into HS and I told her she had to do something in HS.  She has never really wanted to do anything.  I am making her run cross country.  She runs a little on occasion with me so we will see how it goes.  I think KP said to wait 3-4 days with no headache before you started running again.  Haha I wouldn't be able to wait either.

missy have fun with the vitamix.  I have a juicer but want a soothie type blender

NYC I don't know what a Turkish getup is but it sounds hard.

KJ yeah for your skinny awesome self.

BigG sorry about the back I always have to be careful with mine.

amichel ouch hope you are ok

SR hope the running helps the headache.

#13 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

NYC I don't know what a Turkish getup is but it sounds hard.

They are a favorite movement of mine, one rep is all the way up and all the way back down. Looks like this:

#14 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Special Member

Amy - ouch - that is what happened to me.  I slammed my head, but really jarred my neck too.  I hope you heal up faster than me!

Ron - I hope your DD likes CC.  Heh.  KP told me not to run until I had gone 24 hours without a headache, but that it may take 7-10 days post injury to get there.  It wasn't quite 24 hours, but close (18?) and it had been 8 days, so I am within the right parameters.  biggrin.gif  But yes, it is making me crazy.  Particularly because it was the result of my own clumsiness.

Heather - I hope your headache goes away too!

KJicon_cheers.gif  That is awesomeness.  I am on the opposite end of the spectrum, but I just looked at my schedule and my coach is going to start kicking me into high gear pretty quickly, so I should be more like you and less snorting.gif very soon.  :)

Maria - that looks really hard to me.  Given how clumsy I've been lately, that would not be a good thing for me to attempt.

Thanks all re GOTR.  Fun stuff.  It makes my heart happy.

#15 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 12:05 PM
KP
Special Member

Likes Given: 0

Mindi - if you got a headache after the run, then the exertion (increase in blood pressure/heart rate/intercranial pressure) irritated the parts of the brain that are still healing...means the concussion isn't resolved.  I'd give it at least another day then try to run again.  Are you taking anything during the day like tylenol/advil?

Just finished my workout - was supposed to do 8x800 with 90 seconds recovery.  Was on pace through 5 but **** that 90 seconds isn't long enough!  Pulled the plug in the middle of the 6th because I was too far off the goal pace and my heart rate was too high.  

Fun stuff - going to game 6 of the AHL Western Conference finals tonight.  The Grand Rapids Griffins can clinch the series.  Should be exciting!

Amy hope the neck/head feels better!

It's not about goal setting, it is about goal achievement.  Anyone can set goals, few are willing to do what it takes to actually achieve them.    Vern Gambetta
My Blog I My Running Log 
#16 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP View Post

Mindi - if you got a headache after the run, then the exertion (increase in blood pressure/heart rate/intercranial pressure) irritated the parts of the brain that are still healing...means the concussion isn't resolved.  I'd give it at least another day then try to run again.  Are you taking anything during the day like tylenol/advil?

Just finished my workout - was supposed to do 8x800 with 90 seconds recovery.  Was on pace through 5 but **** that 90 seconds isn't long enough!  Pulled the plug in the middle of the 6th because I was too far off the goal pace and my heart rate was too high.  

Fun stuff - going to game 6 of the AHL Western Conference finals tonight.  The Grand Rapids Griffins can clinch the series.  Should be exciting!

Amy hope the neck/head feels better!

Thanks KP.  I feel torn.  I had a very dull headache post-run, but only for about an hour.  I am fine again now.  I am not taking anything, but if you think I should give it another day, I will.

#17 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Ron
Special Member

NYC I have tried those with dumb bells.  How heavy is the Kettlebell? and how many reps do you do?

Thanks

RIL I hope she likes it too.  If she had only a little drive I think she would do fine.  She is only about 5'2" and probably weighs less then 90 lbs.  She knows she is doing it so maybe just maybe.  We will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningINnyc View Post

They are a favorite movement of mine, one rep is all the way up and all the way back down. Looks like this:

#18 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Ron
Special Member

NYC sorry for all the questions I am just looking to add new exercises to my routine.  The Turkish getups also appear to be more benificial if you did them slower rather then faster?

#19 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 01:36 PM
KP
Special Member

Likes Given: 0
Mindi - see how you feel the rest of the day and tomorrow morning. If you feel ok, run....BUT, an easy run. 30 mins.

It's not about goal setting, it is about goal achievement.  Anyone can set goals, few are willing to do what it takes to actually achieve them.    Vern Gambetta
My Blog I My Running Log 
#20 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Addicted Member

Quote:

NYC sorry for all the questions I am just looking to add new exercises to my routine.  The Turkish getups also appear to be more benificial if you did them slower rather then faster?

Oh definitely do them slow and you'll have to play around with the weight.  The first time I did them I used a dumbbell but every other time I've used a kettlebell.   The key is to keeping alignment and keeping your eyes up at the weight the whole time.  It's a big balancing act.   Oh and once you get super hardcore you can start using a barbell 

#21 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP View Post

Mindi - see how you feel the rest of the day and tomorrow morning. If you feel ok, run....BUT, an easy run. 30 mins.

Will do.  Thank you, KP.

#22 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Ron
Special Member

NYC that was hardcore

#23 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Addicted Member

Quote:

NYC that was hardcore

I used a 26 lb kettlebell tonight with 6 reps each arm x 3 rounds (ring dips and pull ups in between each round)

#24 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 66
Likes Given: 19

GREAT pic Mindi!

(((((((Allergy peeps))))))))))) UCK. 

I'm exhausted today.

#25 of 26 Old 06-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 10
Holy smokes! From scary runs to allergies to medical stuff to injuries -- we need some good stuff, asap!

Oh wait! That pic mindi posted was a.w.e.s.o.m.e!!!

(((Missy)))

We finally had the awful 90* degree heat wave snap and today's (short) run was so much more enjoyable than recent running. I could live with high 70's and low humidity all year round.

Kp - a little removed from your 20-2, but I usually have one late-training long run that sucks. It's not at all indicative of training state or race prep... It's what I call the "got that one out of the way" sucky run.

solarpoweredlife
If today was perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page