Tuesday Wet Shoes Day - KickRunners.com

#1 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 04:58 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Likes Earned: 43
Likes Given: 3

It's not quite raining, but looks like it will be soon here.  The temps are supposed to drop too.

I did not get up when the alarm went off.  DH has been sick and snoring like a mad man which has made my own sleep elusive.  So I slept in an extra 45 minutes and will head out soon to run.  This will put me into the office late, but I can stay late if need be, so no worries.  Today is my last uptempo workout and then I head into a heavy, heavy taper.  I am starting to get excited about my race.  I don't think I am in PR shape, but I am looking forward to a road trip with my family and participating in a big(ger) race.  I am meeting with my coach for lunch today, which is awesome because I could use some advice and encouragement.

Missy - sorry to hear you are sick.  Not fun.

Kath - sorry your back is so jacked up again.  What kind of brace are they thinking?

Kid terrorist - I am with you guys sort of.  I think his big bro (and no doubt others) strongly influenced him, but you've gotta have some innate evil in you if you can do that and they go on with your life as though all was grand.  Crazy.  I hope we find out more of the back story. 

I know I had other comments, but can't think of them right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 05:24 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 20
Likes Given: 1

Morning all

Weather here was dreadful last night with blizzard conditions and sideways snow ~ so I didn't run.  I sat on the couch.  couldn't even watch TV because the snow was so heavy the Direct TV went out.  Oh well.

I'll do 30 minutes tonight.  Trails should be better with nothing but sun and a high of 40F today .....

little rant - I went and ordered a couple of the Boston shirts from adidas on Thursday.  I never received a confirmation email nor was my cc charged so I sent an email with my order number (which I copied from the online confirmation I got) and asked.  2 days later, no response and they release a press release saying they are back in stock.  So I order 2 more (get the email and the charge this time), send another email referencing new and old order number and say what happened.  I get an email back from adidas saying that if I want they can cancel my first order.  I respond back saying please do but if I could have the color from the first order vs. the second (so combine the 2).  THEN I get the confirmation email for my first order, and email stating they can't change anything, and notifications that both orders have shipped and I was charged.  So annoying. 

#3 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 05:48 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 11
Likes Given: 0

Morning everyone.  The snow is pretty but I'm probably OK with it because I know it's gonna die soon...

Juice fasting sounded like a great idea!   Today I'm hitting uber crabby.  I'm not doing this for weight (although that would help and even in a few days I've dropped some water weight) they are really trying to figure out if something is triggering all the funky neurons that attack stuff in me.  Why are bodies so complicated? This used to NOT be complicated.  I ran, I ate cake. 

Last night I wanted to eat my arm, though. It's weird not to chew things.  I'm told this will ease in a few days.  A FEW DAYS???

(((((((((Kath)))))))))).  I hear ya, love.  Bracing can help hold things up a bit so I hope that works. Do they have you trying any traction?  That really  helps me.   Spine stuff just sucks, but I hope some easing for you soon.

Biked 20 mins and walked a mile yesterday.  I think I over-did, but for the time I was really sweating I was also happy.

I'm not an endorphin junkie. What do you mean? biggrin.gif

Terrorist:  yeah, he's certainly influenced.  However, I still think at any time he was throwing around bomBs, he could have said, "this is a bad idea".  He's 19 and went to a prestigious college, not 4.  I don't know why--I'm not an angry, vengeful person, but with this guy? I hope they give him a lot less pain medication. However, in the big picture of things, my opinion on this matters not at all. 

HAPPY B DAY, GOON!!!! occasion13.gif occasion14.gif

#4 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 06:32 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

Happy birthday Goon!

occasion13.gif

I had a pretty good workout.  Let the heavy taper begin! And pleaseopleaseopleaseoplease don't get sick.

Brandy - I haven't ordered any but was thinking about it.  If it's the right size I might buy one from you so you don't have to send it back and deal with that.  PM me or e-mail me or text me or something.  BTW - I'd be a freaking cranky mess if I lived in MN right now.  Just sayin'

Although the weather here is weird and is bugging my arthritic parts (right hand and right knee).  Ready for spring to arrive.  Any day would be nice.

On another last cranky note, I have to say it is so nice having some of our regulars back.  :)

#5 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 06:35 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Earned: 49

It's BigG's birthday?  Happy Birthday! 

I agree with a lot of you guys on the terrorists.  I'm sure the big brother had a lot of influence on the younger brother. But like Crane says, the little brother was an adult.  You could sort of understand a little kid being coerced into doing something bad, if someone he loves and respects tells him it's the right thing to do.  But someone who is 19 is old enough to know right from wrong, and should be able to make a rational decision, even when someone they love and respect is trying to lead them down the wrong path... 

Thanks to all you guys who have had input on CA marathons yesterday.  I still think that San Fran is my front-runner.  Not for this year, but some year.  Maybe the best thing going for it is the timing.  There's not much else available in July, so it's not like I'll have to pass on other good marathons in order to do it.  Plus, with DD in school now, July means she won't miss any class if we decide to make a family vacation out of it.  As it stands now, she'll miss the final two days of kindergarten this June so that we can go to Alaska.  I hope that doesn't keep her from getting into Harvard... 

I ran 4 easy miles last night.  Tonight I'll do some sort of medium-distance tempo-ish run... 

#6 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 07:04 AM

Likes Earned: 13
Likes Given: 5

Morning peeps.

Nice w/o Melis!  good luck with the juice fasting...I've thought about doing one from time to time and come back to, I just like solid food too much.

Feel better, Missy and AK, and Kath!

KJ, how're you feeling?

(((((Hugs to everyone else))))))

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GOON!!!!!!!!

I walked 3.5 mi yesterday commuting, and 2 already today.  Felt good to get moving a bit.  I have swing class tonight.

Speaking of:  so, I finally know why I recognize MIT Police Officer Collier.  He was in my dance class.  sad.gif  The memorial service for him is here on campus tomw.  They are expecting 10,000 people, police officers from all over the world, and VP Biden and his wife will be in attendance.  I am volunteering for the event.

If anyone would like to make a donation to the Officer Sean Collier Memorial Fund, here at MIT, you can do so at this link.

Suspect 2:  I think he probably thought to himself, "this IS a bad idea" even when he was doing it.  I'm sure he ran over his brother because he was panicking and didn't have any idea what was happening. I doubt he even saw where he was going. I really don't believe he is an evil person, of the likes of Hitler or Pol Pot, [did I invoke Godwin's Law?] but someone who made very very very bad decisions and will pay for them for the rest of his life.  I think his brother's influence will become much more evident, the more we learn.  I actually hope he is treated in the hospital like any other patient, because I'd like to think that will only make him know what a horrible, unthinkable thing he's done to good people. 

Melis, for the record, he went to UMass Dartmouth, not Dartmouth College.  UMD is a state school; one can get a fine education there, but it's definitely not prestigious.

"And all our fears were in vain, a dream, just like the Lord said."
- Jack Kerouac, Desolation Angels

Yeah, I have a blog....
#7 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 07:15 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 21
Likes Given: 4

hello, hello all.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hoping you got out for a good birthday run this am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranegirl View Post

I ran, I ate cake. 

this totally made me smile. not that i'm laughing at your current predicament.. but this choice of words made me smile. con'td love and hugs out to you.

also thinking of katho and her handicap placard and brace! yeow. hope things improve with both?

brandy, i'm also willing to buy a shirt off you as well. let me know.

moonie and RIL, i'm excited for your races this upcoming weekend!! is anyone else racing? AK and I are :) i'm running a 5 miler (which i'm terrified of) and after, there will be a pee wee 1 mile race that AK and I will participate in. while technically this is her second race (the first one being M4M last oct that Maria was present at), this is the first one she'll get a bib and everything so i'm looking forward to that!

cont'd (((( ))) out to Maureen and your community. that's so crazy the officer was in your dance class :( may his soul rest in peace.

nice job racing over the weekend, tim!! it sounds like you're in good shape....

I LOVE oskar!!!

bombings: my heart continues to heart for boston. I know it is a tough, tough community and will, no doubt rebound, but its still tragic and senseless and awful. I really wish I were in the position to train and BQ b/c i'd really want to run next year as a big F-U to all those who think they can scare or intimidate us from the pursuit of happiness that is in our sport.. they can not. they will not.

#8 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 07:16 AM
Special Member

Likes Given: 27

Good Morning!  I would complain about the weather but a lot of you have it much worse than me!  I am noticing that lately, once I've been out in the cold a while, its taking forever for me to get rid of the chill.  Last night I was at the barn for Miss A's riding lesson, it was very windy and cold and I was grooming the horses, I should have rode too to build up a good sweat because I couldn't get warm all night!  No matter how many layers, blankets etc I had on.  I typically love the cold but I think its just been too long this year!

I hope you and the family are feeling better, Missy!

Crane - how long do you have to do the juicefasting for?  

hApPy bIrThDaY, gOoN!

I got out for a 30 minute run this morning after I got Avery on the bus.  I had to return Boots to the house because he isn't allowed to run with me anymore and almost rolled my bad ankle on the edge of the road.  This made me slightly nervous my whole run but I got 'er done and should probably ice it to be safe. Now that I'm at 30 minutes straight it seems like every course I pick is too long where I have to walk a bit to get home or too short.  I need to get to 45 minutes and then I will have lots of good options.  

#9 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy1102 View Post

bombings: my heart continues to heart for boston. I know it is a tough, tough community and will, no doubt rebound, but its still tragic and senseless and awful. I really wish I were in the position to train and BQ b/c i'd really want to run next year as a big F-U to all those who think they can scare or intimidate us from the pursuit of happiness that is in our sport.. they can not. they will not.

I have a feeling it will be an open year.  If not, there's always charity bibs.  I am considering training to do it that way, and raise money for something.

Yeah, I have a blog....
#10 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 07:45 AM

In much much happier news...

this is my new summer roommate:

sauconRunner likes this.

Yeah, I have a blog....
#11 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 07:50 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 89
Likes Given: 76

Happy birthday, BigG!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I selected orange for the birthday wish because I'm wearing a gorgeous orange cardigan today.  :)   Ran 2.6 easy after work yesterday with a coworker who is trying to lose her baby weight and swam a killer 2,000 yards this morning.  Between boot camp yesterday and swimming this morning, but shoulders are JACKED UP.  Oof.   I can enter the NFL draft this week with these things.  Seriously. 

Hi Saucon biggrin.gif

Cute roommate, Moe!  My dad is being moved to a nursing home today.  I have very mixed feelings about this but am trying to focus on the less negative ones. 

#12 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 07:53 AM
Special Member

Likes Earned: 22
Likes Given: 7

Greetings, everyone.

Wow.. it's great to see this number of posts already at 10:45am.  Great great great!

Missybabe - Ugh... I hope you guys recovery quickly from the crud!

Cranie - Yeech for juice fasting stuff.  Good for you if you can keep with the program, though.

Goonie!  Happy Brrf-day, hunnybunny!

Kath - booo for jacked-up backs!  Yah for your special Oskar lubbins that you referenced previously. 

Terrorist thoughts:  I'm more with Cranie's line of thoughts, I believe.  I do think that the older brother had a huge influence on the younger... but I also think that at any point, the younger could have said "no" or changed his mind.  Even on race day... he had time to take his backpack and walk a block or so out of the way to toss it in a dumpster or something.  Big brother wasn't over his shoulder then - so the opportunity to do something right in the moment was there... and he chose to ignore it.   He willingly continued with his actions, knowing that people would be hurt and likely killed.... so... if he gets the minimum pain management plan for the rest of his life, I'm hunky dory with that.  Maybe on down the road if he actually does show genuine remorse, I'll revise my opinion ,but for now... I hope he's in physical pain.  I know that's not the proper Christian attitude to have, but nonetheless, it's the way I feel. 

Onto more positive stuff, PT is resuming for me after being sidelined a good bit with the respiratory infection.  Progress did slide backwards a bit, but that's okay... I'll build back up pretty quickly, I think.  I'm still having some pain in the left knee, but the right is holding up well so far. Yah.  This weekend is the OKC memorial marathon - and the next marathon that was on my calendar - but obviously that's been deferred to next year.  I'm hoping to at least get out and walk a mile or two on Sunday just in support, even if no one knows about it but me.

#13 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 08:01 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Moe View Post

I have a feeling it will be an open year.  If not, there's always charity bibs.  I am considering training to do it that way, and raise money for something.

I have heard from a few about it being an open year as well.  Just to be sure, I'm running a marathon on 9/8 to get some more time.  If anything, I want to start farther up in the corrals than I did before.  I was severly annoyed with the additional half mile I ran in the first 5 miles just trying to not stop.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GOON!

Missy - feel better

I'll let you guys know about the shirt.  I ordered a M & L womens and two L mens.  Unsure on sizing on the womens fit.  I am going to guess that if it is too big for me, it'll be too big for you tiny things!

#14 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 08:03 AM
Special Member

Likes Given: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Moe 

CUTE!!!!!!!!!! look at that face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailarie View Post

I'm hoping to at least get out and walk a mile or two on Sunday just in support, even if no one knows about it but me.

we'll know about it. and we will support and cheer you on!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOT!!!!!

#15 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 08:19 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

What do you mean open?  They won't require qualifying times?

Cute roomie!

#16 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 08:33 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninlaw View Post

What do you mean open?  They won't require qualifying times?

Cute roomie!

Open = if you qualify you are in - they'd increase the size to accommodate

I hear this is what they did for the 100 year anniversary as well.

#17 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandy View Post

Open = if you qualify you are in - they'd increase the size to accommodate

I hear this is what they did for the 100 year anniversary as well.

for the 100th, they had a limited number of non-BQ, non-charity bibs as well, if I'm not mistaken. 

Yeah, I have a blog....
#18 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 08:42 AM - Thead Starter
Special Member

I'll be interested in seeing what they do.  I bet a TON of people will want to do it next year.  I do!  But DH is not super keen on that idea.....

#19 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Special Member

morning guys- Happy Birthday BigG! M turns 4 tomorrow and I am taking her to Disney. Speaking of, G is making some progress with his sensory integration therapy- I took him for a very short (2 1/2 hour) visit to Disney on Sunday and he didn't freak out like last time.

sauconRunner likes this.
#20 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 09:51 AM
KP
Special Member

afternoon gang!

had a great run this morning - 2x(6x400)  Was faster than my goal pace on all but the last two, and I beat the rain!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GOON!!!!!

bombing suspect - while I don't think it earns him a pass, we do need to factor in that the rational decision making portion of the brain isn't fully integrated until the early to mid 20s...older brothers influence was probably intense.  Still should've known it was a good idea.

THAT being said...if we go with a reasonable timeline, he'll be executed probably no later than the fall of 2019.  And I have no problem with that...

(not trying to start a debate or anything!!!)

luck with the juice fast Craney - is beer considered a juice?  bourbon?

It's not about goal setting, it is about goal achievement.  Anyone can set goals, few are willing to do what it takes to actually achieve them.    Vern Gambetta
My Blog I My Running Log 
#21 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Addicted Member

Likes Given: 2

Afternoon all!   Took yesterday as an unintended rest day... had both CF and a run for Boston competing for my evening hours but ended up doing laundry and organizing life a bit instead.   Interesting WOD set for tonight including a couple rows for calories... anyone done this before?  It's crazy the low number of calories you burn on the rower given the effort you're putting out 

Craney - are you making your own juices or buying?   I LURVE LURVE LURVE juices... let me know if you need any recipes

KJ - cannot believe Em is already 4!!  

(((Missy and Kath))))

Maureen - great doggie!!!!  

Happy Birthday Big G!!!!  occasion14.gif

#22 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Addicted Member

Obviously I've always wanted to run the Boston Marathon.  My initial hope was that some day I'd BQ.  But I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.  Yeah yeah, if I lose 30 or 40 pounds and really work my ass off I might still be able to do it.  But I just don't see it happening... 

So probably the only way I can get in is thru a charity.  Lucky for me, my undergrad school, Tufts Univerisy, has one of the largest Boston Marathon charity teams with 100 runners every year.  I've never tried to join up, but I do get an alumni email every year (in October, I think) giving me a link to go to if I want to get my name on this list.  I think I may try that for 2014 if I get that email again this fall... 

#23 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP View Post

THAT being said...if we go with a reasonable timeline, he'll be executed probably no later than the fall of 2019.  And I have no problem with that...

This depends on how they try him, right?  Massachusetts doesn't have the death penalty, I believe.  So they'd have to try him in federal court as an "enemy combatant" or something like that.  At least that's what I think I heard... 

#24 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 10:12 AM
KP
Special Member

he's being charged federally with using a weapon of mass destruction from what I've read....federal death penalty like McViegh in OK City

It's not about goal setting, it is about goal achievement.  Anyone can set goals, few are willing to do what it takes to actually achieve them.    Vern Gambetta
My Blog I My Running Log 
#25 of 40 Old 04-23-2013, 10:22 AM

sadly, I don't think it matters where he's convicted...I think his fellow inmates will do him in before the justice system does.

Yeah, I have a blog....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page